PDA

View Full Version : If I were to apply..

02-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I am looking at Pinellas Park, Largo, and the SO. If I apply at Largo what is the long term outlook for the department? What I mean is will it still be here?

http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewtopic.php?t=49194

02-18-2008, 08:19 PM
This agency is not likely to go anywhere anytime soon. The budget cuts are hurting everyone, not just the cities. I believe we have a hiring freeze currently (which is okay because we are fully-staffed for now). But to find out for sure, call our recruiter.

The most important thing to consider is where you want to work. Different agencies have different strengths and weaknesses, and none of them are perfect (just like any other business). You should decide the size and type of agency you want, the type of citizens you wish to work with, and target employment with those goals in mind. If you want a large variety of specialty units with lots of openings, consider bigger agencies. If you are more concerned about flexibility for your personal/family issues, consider a smaller agency. If you want to work high-crime with lots of street-level narcotics arrests, there are places to go for that kind of activity. Consider how long it will take you to build seniority - look at where the agency is in terms of growth. Some of our officers with just a couple years on already have a weekend day off every week.

Most importantly, go somewhere you plan to stay. Jumping from agency to agency extends or eliminates your chances of retiring with a full pension. One of the big reasons to do this job is the retirement, and if you start over every five years, you're gonna be 70 before you can retire.

Stay safe.

02-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Wow. Well put.