PDA

View Full Version : Good Job Yasko!

02-17-2008, 02:17 AM
LAUDERHILL
Witnesses: Lauderhill cop hit shackled man with Taser
Posted on Fri, Feb. 15, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
A Lauderhill police officer used his Taser on a man who appeared to be mentally ill and was already in handcuffs and leg restraints on Wednesday, witnesses said.

Although police say the use of the Taser appears to have been reasonable -- and no complaints of excessive force have been made -- Broward Public Defender Howard Finkelstein is raising questions about whether the officer should have used the device.

Police showed up outside the Cooperative Feeding Program, 1 NW 33rd Ter. in Lauderhill, late Wednesday morning after someone reported that the man was lying on the sidewalk drinking from a puddle.

When officers arrived, the man ran into the building. Police realized that the man, who told police his name was Steve Fernandez, needed psychiatric treatment.

Eventually, several officers had to physically restrain the man, said Lauderhill police Lt. Rick Rocco.

He was handcuffed and his feet were restrained, but Rocco said he continued to struggle as he was placed in a police car. At some point, he said, Officer Joseph Yasko used his Taser.

The Cooperative Feeding Program's CEO, Marti Forman, said she and other witnesses were shocked to see the officer use his Taser. She said they could hear the man howl with pain.

The man was taken to Florida Medical Center in Lauderdale Lakes for psychiatric evaluation under Florida's Baker Act.

-- HANNAH SAMPSON

02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
sweet

02-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I agree with Howard and those people from the cooperative feeding program, even though I wasn't there to witness it. I believe those cops should have beat that man sensless or spray him with pepper spray or shoot him. That tazer is so barbaric. <Sarcasm

Every cop who has a tazer has been tazed to carry it. How many cops who carry tazers would rather be pepper sprayed or beaten rather than tazed? I for one would rather be tazed. 5 seconds of pain with no recovery time and when it is all said and done, NO INJURIES to cops or suspects.

Cooperative feeding program can kiss my ass!

02-17-2008, 10:06 PM
LAUDERHILL
Witnesses: Lauderhill cop hit shackled man with Taser
Posted on Fri, Feb. 15, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
A Lauderhill police officer used his Taser on a man who appeared to be mentally ill and was already in handcuffs and leg restraints on Wednesday, witnesses said.

Although police say the use of the Taser appears to have been reasonable -- and no complaints of excessive force have been made -- Broward Public Defender Howard Finkelstein is raising questions about whether the officer should have used the device.

Police showed up outside the Cooperative Feeding Program, 1 NW 33rd Ter. in Lauderhill, late Wednesday morning after someone reported that the man was lying on the sidewalk drinking from a puddle.

When officers arrived, the man ran into the building. Police realized that the man, who told police his name was Steve Fernandez, needed psychiatric treatment.

Eventually, several officers had to physically restrain the man, said Lauderhill police Lt. Rick Rocco.

He was handcuffed and his feet were restrained, but Rocco said he continued to struggle as he was placed in a police car. At some point, he said, Officer Joseph Yasko used his Taser.

The Cooperative Feeding Program's CEO, Marti Forman, said she and other witnesses were shocked to see the officer use his Taser. She said they could hear the man howl with pain.

The man was taken to Florida Medical Center in Lauderdale Lakes for psychiatric evaluation under Florida's Baker Act.

-- HANNAH SAMPSONCan you please post the link to the website of that article? I gotta read for myself.

02-18-2008, 12:55 AM
not only did it take 5 officers and several fire personal to control this subject, it should be noted that the subject full extended himself once placed in the car and refused to allow us to close the door whole he was kicking like crazy. The Taser was used to gain compliance only after we tried many different presser points. It worked wonderfully and we had no more problems from this subject until we arrived at FMC and he again refused to exit the car and we had to pull him out, and after several FMC personal joined us in our attempts to restrain him we were able to place him on a strong hold bed approximately 10 min later. By the way, did this D.A. note that per the staff at the feeding program the subject was having a bad trip off of crack....P.S. once this wonderfull man began to relax he told us we did a good job, " it usally takes 10 cops to handle me"

02-18-2008, 01:14 AM
You guys know the media will twist this sh*t to however they want, they never FULLY report what happens because that would be boring in their eyes. You guys did a good job. No one got hurt, thats all the matters, I guess they are disappointed we dont have another OFFICER DOWN that they can report on. B safe!

02-20-2008, 01:51 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward ... 20135.html (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward/story/420135.html) Here is the link.