PDA

View Full Version : Must read, need help

02-16-2008, 08:07 AM
At this time I find my self working for SPPD. Is nothing what I was expecting it to be. I’m under a 2 year contract due to the fact I was sponsor by them. I want to know if anyone knows what are the consequences for breaking that contract by leaving to another agency like TPD and if it’s worth it?

02-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Ask on the SPPD board, nobody at TPD is going to know about SPPD's contract. Even better, bring your copy of the contract to a lawyer and get their opinion instead of trusting anonymous posters on the Internet.

This is a prime example of the "no such thing as a free lunch" statement. I bet you were excited when SPPD sponsored you through the academy, gave you benefits, and paid you before, during, and after the police academy when no other agency would do that. Now you see the reason why.

My advice to you would be to finish up your two years and then start applying. You aren't going to really be considered as someone with actual experience until you've got at least 2 years on.

02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Start applying now because it will take you that long to get hired at TPD

02-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Ask on the SPPD board, nobody at TPD is going to know about SPPD's contract.

We have alot of former St.Pete Officers, maybe he is looking for someone who left that experienced the same thing.

02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey, you signed the contract. Man up and do the time. I don't think we want people who will not live up to their word.

Bust a deal and face the wheel.

02-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Just leave, they will send you a bill in the mail for the 2 years, minus the time you gave them. I left after just over one year and we had to give three years back then. They sent me a bill for $1700. I gave them cash!!! Best decision I ever made!!!! will two years, you should owe less than that. The grass is green on the other side.

02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
I know some ppl who have been in this circumstance who sought a lawyer and they ended up paing 0.00 for "breaking their contract" but had to shell out a little for the lawyer to make a call and write a fancy letter.

02-16-2008, 07:41 PM
You will still have to pay. I had a lawyer through the PBA and he did research for a year. Apparently there is case law from Miami where a "Liberal" judge ruled in favor of the city and made the officer pay. One judge screws it up for everyone.

02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
case law, you win some, you lose most?

02-16-2008, 10:06 PM
You signed a contract and should honor it, don't drag the judges thru the mud on this one. Honor your contract or pay up. If you get hired in Tampa the first year bump in pay will do more than pay off what you owe Pinellas. They paid for your training and if you skip town paying them off is the least you can do. Law Enforcement should be an honorable profession. Do the right thing.

02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
You will still have to pay. I had a lawyer through the PBA and he did research for a year. Apparently there is case law from Miami where a "Liberal" judge ruled in favor of the city and made the officer pay. One judge screws it up for everyone.

Seems to me that the judge is actually not liberal. If the judge found in the favor of the city, it would make him conservative. Being conservative means you follow the letter of the law and do not leave it open for consideration. Thats just my down home Florida state education speaking. So judge saying you have to honor your contract, means conservative. Judge saying their is a loop hole, means liberal.

02-16-2008, 11:38 PM
I am not trying to do wrong; if I have to pay I will pay. I just don’t want to spend two years with an organization in which I have no desires to retire from. Thanks to all for the info. Let see what happens.

02-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Seems to me that the judge is actually not liberal. If the judge found in the favor of the city, it would make him conservative. Being conservative means you follow the letter of the law and do not leave it open for consideration. Thats just my down home Florida state education speaking. So judge saying you have to honor your contract, means conservative. Judge saying their is a loop hole, means liberal.[/quote]

I should have explained more about the contract. SPPD hires you then tells you that you must agree to a 3 year commitment or you will have to pay them back if you leave for another agency, but not if you leave law enforcement. If you don't agree, you lose this new job you just quit your other job to get hired for. The PBA lawyer stated that you are forced to agree under duress or lose your new job. This exact type of case was voted in favor of the city, in Miami by a judge there. Maybe there is a loop hole, there was no written contract to be held accountable to.

I hope this clears up the topic a bit.

02-17-2008, 01:27 AM
SPPD hires you then tells you that you must agree to a 3 year commitment or you will have to pay them back if you leave for another agency, but not if you leave law enforcement. If you don't agree, you lose this new job you just quit your other job to get hired for. The PBA lawyer stated that you are forced to agree under duress or lose your new job.

The contract is no secret and the department doesn't hide the fact that they make sponsored officers sign a contract. It's common knowledge, so the applicant who did their homework and read all the applicable material from HR knows that the contract exists before the job is offered. Back when TPD had the scholarship program, our recruits signed the same type of contract.

It's hard to argue duress when applicants know going into the process that they will be forced to work for an agency for two years.

02-18-2008, 09:53 AM
I left SPPD just prior to my three year contract to come to TPD. I did have to pay a small fee but the difference in the pay the first month made up for it. Enjoy your time at SPPD, you will learn a lot. I made the switch seven years ago and have not regretted it one bit. Yea the equipment at TPD was antiquated compared to what I did have but the pay, days off and mostly the respect of the citizens made it worth all the effort of going back through the FTO program along with starting back over in seniority. Plus, the morale of this agency far exceeds that at SPPD. Point is if you end up leaving prior to the end date of your contract suck it up and pay, you won't regret it. As always be safe over there. Ofc. WDW TPD370.