PDA

View Full Version : Mileage and other issues

02-15-2008, 10:28 PM
I just wanted to find out if anybody had any INFORMED opinion on why we are being asked to track our vehicle mileage this month.

Ive heard the following theories...

1. They are considering whether or not take home cars are justified for different units.

2. They are measuring how much use the cars get at SIG15's to justify asking us to pay a couple bucks per hour back to the SO for gas and maint.

ALSO, I have heard rumors about the possibility of taking assignment pay from some or all units.

PLEASE, keep the speculation down unless you HAVE A RELIABLE SOURCE OF INFORMATION, but if you do know something, let the rest of us in on it.

02-15-2008, 11:17 PM
It sounds like McNesby is ready to retire and let someone else run the department. Heck, he won't even pay the simple one percent pay raise that was approved by the BOCC, but he sure got his +$3K raise. So, go ahead and put morale in the toilet and flush it. None of your suggestions sounds out of the question. Amendment 1 passed, so lets screw over the troops...

MOD 353
02-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Does anyone have a solid answer on why we are keeping track of our mileage? Several rumors floating around but nothing solid spoken yet.

02-19-2008, 02:58 AM
There is no plan currently on the table to charge for the use of a vehicle. I personally do not know of anyone who is being asked to keep milage, no one on my shift is!

Each division was asked to present ways to save the SO money. To examples that I know for a fact are:

1. Charging for the use of the vehicle on side jobs. This was presented with increasing the amount charged for side jobs. The deputies would get a raise and the SO would receive some income for the use of the vehicle.

2. Charging employees who live out of the county for the use of the vehicle.

Both of these proposals were fair.

02-19-2008, 04:41 AM
I have talked with patrol guys as well as investigations people that were told to keep track of their mileage.

02-19-2008, 04:43 AM
Just a thought but how about take the take home cars from non sworn personel that don't really need them anyway? The garage employees still have cars and heck, some even have nextel phones when investigators had them taken away.

02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
They might be called out to change a flat tire on one of our curisers... yea like dont hold your breath , they're the Sheriffs personnel buddies and breakast companions

02-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Lets talk about how "FAIR" it would be to take away take home cars for those who live out of the county...

Deputies who live in teh south and work in Century, or vice versa, drive their cars 30+ miles to get to work on the county dime. Deputies who live in Pace drive 15-20 miles to work, but you would take away their cars and leave the ones who drive more miles?

Tell me how much sense that makes.

02-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Lets talk about how "FAIR" it would be to take away take home cars for those who live out of the county...

Deputies who live in teh south and work in Century, or vice versa, drive their cars 30+ miles to get to work on the county dime. Deputies who live in Pace drive 15-20 miles to work, but you would take away their cars and leave the ones who drive more miles?

I don't think anyone said anything about taking vehicles away from those who live out of the county. A proposal to charge a small fee for the use of the vehicle from the county line to you residence is what was said. The amount I heard was less than the amount of gas most people use getting to work. I live out of the county and I thought the amount was FAIR. It would cost me much more to drive my own vehicle to work.

Once again this was only a proposal, a thought on how to save some money, there is no indication that it will take place.

I was just answering the question!!!

02-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Can't they tell how much gas we are each using by looking at the gas log? I meen everyone has a different gas key coded to them right? As far as the garage guys vehicles go, those vehicles are siezed vehicles that the county now owns. And those guys have to pay the tax on the gas they burn as well as the civilian civil officers. But I agree the fat can and will be trimed as long as it doesn't affect the buddies of the sheriff. Do we really need three helicopters? Did we really need eight new rolling chest toolboxes for our new Nascar garage that cost $3,000.00 each? How about all that hurricane shizzznit? Four or five boats? How about those new shoulder mics that record video and audio? What the HELL? We can't even keep our outdated in-car video cameras working for Christ sake. Stop trying to buy all the neat stuff for our toy box and fix the crap we have already. For example, our failing, out of date radio system. I would rather get 10-8 knowing I could transmit over the radio and be heard if my life was in danger or that of my fellow officers than to have all this other crap we have. NOW THATS A FAIR STATEMENT!!!!!!!

02-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Wondering has been watching to many Morgan videos! Quit making things sound worse than they are!!!

02-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Wondering has been watching to many Morgan videos! Quit making things sound worse than they are!!!

Actually ass munch I haven't. Look around you jackass you know its the truth.

02-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Here is a little point to ponder on your FAIR fee to take your car home out of county...

TAKING money from deputies is NOT THE SAME THING as the county saving money.

If you want to save money, here are some tips...

1. Put the sworn civil officers back on patrol and have the zone officers serve the papers in their area.

2. Contract out our vehicle maintenance like every other county (and the state) does to save money.

3. Issue a DIRECTIVE to stop arresting non-violent misdemeanants... a notice to appear would work fine for your run-of-the-mill suspended license and pot possession, and wont tie up our jail.

4. Rethink the equipment in the patrol cars. Those cameras are over $5,000 per car, and are NOT required. The overhead lightbars? Over $3,000. Put LED lights inside the car like the supervisors and lose the cameras and you just saved $7,000 PER CAR!!!!

5. Give husband/wives who both work at the SO free insurance if they are both under the same policy (kinda like the state and most other counties do). As it is, most people keep their own free insurance, which costs the SO several hundred dollars per month. It is cheaper to just have the family on one policy and pay the premium. Everybody else in the state realizes this... when will we?

6. Allow officers to carry the sidearm of their choosing, and provide SIGs for those who dont own their own, or dont have a preference. This eliminates the need to purchase a ton of new firearms to replace our existing stock.

7. Hire contract employees as observers on the helicopter. I know of no reason the observer has to be sworn LEO, and I'm sure you can find some qualified people to work for 30k with no benefits, saving approximately 20k per year per observer (4 of them). That is 80k savings per year, and puts more officers on the street.

There are TONS of ways to save money without forcing deputies to chip in to operations out of their own pockets. Let us remember that TAKE HOME CARS provide a means to earn supplemental income... without them, and teh income they provide, the county would be forced to up the base pay to compensate, eliminating any saving they may see.

Common sense can lead us out of the budget crunch... destroying morale and blunting progress will only increase turnover, decrease effectiveness and public opinion and worsen the situation in every aspect.

02-20-2008, 01:14 AM

Actually ass munch I haven't. Look around you jackarse you know its the truth.
Ok 400 whatever, how many helicopters do we really have. Would it be correct to say two. The third serves as spare parts for them. Also the fuel is bought surplus and costs less than gas for your curser. They don't fly at the same time but if one breaks we have a spare. And how much did they cost anyway? Do you know or are you just bit%^&ing because you assume the were expensive??

If you were here during Ivan the hurricane stuff would have been nice. I sure liked the help we going from our brother south Florida officers. And just how much did it cost us anyway? Do you even know? Or are you just running your mouth again!

I think it is three boats, and I would like to see you patrol the amount of water we have with less.

What new shoulder mics?? The only ONE I have seen was sent to the agency for T & E (Let me know if you don't know what that means)

Please remind me the last time someone was hurt because of the radio system. Yes we need a new one, but just because it's new does not mean it is better, I have been using the current one for over twenty years. Do you even know how much it will cost to replace it? I bet not but I'm sure you would find the old one works just fine when it came down to that or a raise for the next five years!!!

02-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Wow, a lap-dog got mad!

02-20-2008, 02:00 AM

How about us non-sworn who live in Santa Rosa County, Century, Flomaton, Walnut Hill, Atmore and West Alabama, why aren’t we furnished a car and gas to drive back and forth to work?

Oh yea I forgot, it’s because the sworn, garage personnel and the prima donnas non-sworn are frequently call back to work during their off duty hours.

02-20-2008, 02:12 AM
I can honestly say that nothing in this department ever is done right!!!

#1- There are certain deputies in the 400 numbers driving new cruisers,
one deputy just totaled his 2007 cruiser out with a suspect in it, but
hey his dad is connected..
#2 - Why do finance directors and office assistants need take home cars?
Some civilians may pay mileage, but what about wear and tear??

#3- Has anyone seen the newest 4x4 golf cart, yeah it's real nice..

#4 - I know several people that have in car camera's not functioning
properly and w/o mics, but hey there is no money in the budget

#5 - Why did the Sheriff need a newer Tahoe?? Something wrong with
the old one??

#6- Can someone please tell me why the Sheriff has used the helicopter
for his person agenda multiple times??

#7 - Why when the ECSO knew the budget cuts were ahead of us did they
pay Captain E $65.00/hr for 190 at the fair for a grand total of
$12,000.00

#8 - Why is it that this same Captain (E) can stand in front of combined
muster and say how much he appreciates these deputies and not feel
bad about sucking that much money out of our department.
How many hours of side jobs would a deputy have to work at $19/hr
to make $12,000.00??
Approximately 631 hours

#9 - Why does our finance director make so much money and not know
how to budget it?? It took months for several people I know to get a
name tag.. " well hello citizen, I am Sheriif McNesby" LOL
Or how about a civilian having to approve uniforms??? Hum, hello
when you work the road and chase bad guys, you rips pants and etc.

#10 - I understand the LEST program may eventually benefit us, but is
it cost effective?? no
Plus, we are paying a Sgt just to baby sit??

#11 - Reference the helicopters, thank god for them... Odie and those
guys do a great job and trust me having a former deputy who knows
the area directing you is a blessing, they know what you are dealing
with on the ground.

#12 - Why not deal with the guys that drive their cars all around town..
Like taking their wife to dinner, going to the non-ecso gyms, hum
must I continue. Shoot we have some Lt's doing this as well as our
oh so humble leader.

#13 - Well, and dont get me started on the radio system. It is not always
the radio, try the dispatcher.. Some not all are not very good at the
job. They don't get correct locations, 10-9 everything and some just
don't even bother to check on the deputies. You have to love the
BOLO's we recieve that have no information, but hey this person is
wanted, but what for, or yeah can I get their name... Or wait it's titled
stolen tag, can I get the 28??? lol

So now that I have wasted my time too, I can sit back and wait for nothing to change. It's just the way it is. Welcome to the ECSO!!!
I just want someone that will actually be honest and not short change the deputies on the road. We can't all take hour lunches and get away with it.

02-20-2008, 04:03 AM
OK, let's get this straight. Morgan (thanks, I watched his videos) is the
only candidate since I can remember that has gone on record, repeatedly,
telling the leo's what he will do once elected, for starting pay, who will
get raises, supports reinstating Civil Service, annual negotiations with the
PBA, and how he will change the SO. Going to be awfully hard to avoid not
making good on promises recorded for posterity. And yet this is the guy the
PBA "hates." The one telling lies?

While I'm on lies, am I the only one that didn't get polled? Boy, I didn't
know there were 800 PBA members (400 road/400 detention). We're going to
need a bigger room. How can we get a copy of the questions? Who did those
percentages? Outzen won't be real happy about being lied to by Bain if he
finds out. But your're right, that "from the Presidents pen" explained it
all. Sounds to me like you thought Morgan would be an easy target but he
kicked your ass. Oh, who paid for transcribing all of those videos?

Yeah, there's some lies being told alright. Just take a look at the
link, right off our very own state PBA website. Seems as though the Mac
and Smith were allowed to "avoid the questions" for over 6 years. Allowed
by whom? We could have had their behinds in front of the feds years ago.

And quit believing that "the county commission must approve our raises BS."
Yes, Morgan is telling the truth about that too. Call your county
commissioner and stop believing Rex and Co. McNesby doles out the money as
he wants. That's why some in admin get their pay doubled in 4 years and we
get squat.

I'm looking for someone with cajones. Someone that knows what needs to be
done and will do it. I am not looking for more of the same. The PBA will
continue to provide that.

http://flpba.org/bargaining.php

02-20-2008, 04:07 AM
So now that I have wasted my time too, I can sit back and wait for nothing to change. It's just the way it is. Welcome to the ECSO!!!
I just want someone that will actually be honest and not short change the deputies on the road. We can't all take hour lunches and get away with it.[/quote]

We need L S. for sheriff.

02-20-2008, 04:35 AM
If Morgan beats McNesby in the Primary in August we are guaranteed change whatever happens in November. If McNesby wins in August he'll probably roll over Scapecchi. Let's lock in change in August. November will take care of itself and McNesby will be guaranteed to be gone. Clearly LS has supporters but the admin line is LS LS LS for sheriff so that McNesby can maybe get by Morgan. Then he'll spend all his money to beat Larry. Let's get Ronniemac and his money out of the race in the Primary and stop listening to Rex & company.

02-20-2008, 05:20 AM
My Friends:

Sheriff McNesby is the best thing that ever happened to the ECSO. You are better off than you ever have been. You are better paid then you ever have been. We have equipment that works better, more officers on the road, continual crime reduction and a Sheriff that stands behind each and every one of you as if you were his own flesh and blood. Sheriff McNesby is the man! Wake up and realize that!!!

You will not be better off with Larry S. No! No! No!

Thank you and good night,

Rex

ps: Ask not what your Sheriff can do for you, ask what YOU can do for your Sheriff!!!!!

Veteran Deputy
02-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Wonder-boy,

Its apparent you dont have a CLUE as to what this department really has and what it takes to function. You live in the past and dont envision progress, go back to washing my car and maybe we'll give you a "junior deputy" sticker.

02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Great rumors! "Morgan hates cops and so does his wife." That explains why
he's running for sheriff, its all clear now. That explains why he enlisted
at 18 to become a military cop, and why his wife teaches criminal justice at
PJC. Why don't you idiots call or email him? He's answered every one of
my questions. Unlike "my" sheriff and the PBA.

Must be getting desperate. I notice the side slinging mud and bringing in
family is coming only from McNesby's supporters.

Here are some facts; Rex will get them shiny new captains bars if he can get
Ronnie re-elected, and Bain gets the Lt. Who says prostitution doesn't pay?

Just remember; "Nothin's too good for our boys and girls in green, and
nothin's exactly what their going to get." Besides nothin's left over
after all them necessary promotions and pay raises for admin. Not to
mention security at the Fair, more of the SO money well spent.