PDA

View Full Version : off duty

02-03-2008, 04:09 AM
With the soft hiring freeze and almost no o/t, do you think now is the time for the powers that be to reconsider letting us work off duty where alcohol is served? After all we can do it for city functions & I am pretty insulted that a deputy is collecting $ at wild willys and the wing house, but we have to show up and take the paper.

02-03-2008, 08:11 AM
I doubt you'll get the city to do anything like that after the Largo Med deal. The old timers snatch up those off duty details and get paid $50 an hour. The city can't write profitable contracts with those rates.

I suppose it could happen if we worked directly for the business and got paid out of their pocket. Or possibly if we all agreed to a flat rate for certain off duty gigs. I'm not thrilled about the prospect of agreeing to a flat rate, but I'll take $25 or $30 an hour for off-duty vs. $0 any day.

02-03-2008, 04:40 PM
You jack off! Why would you mention that! This isn't the SO! That is all the City needs to here is Flat Rate! Lester put that email out as a political scare tactic! Don't believe the hype!

02-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I'd rather have a flat rate than no rate. The Chief needs to grow some balls and let us work the off duty details in OUR city...after all we are cops right?

02-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Flat Rate is horrible idea! Ask the S.O.! Unless its $50/hr its not worth it. Besides those details are only for special events. And if you are taking reports at those locations grow a sac and tell whoever is working off duty that its there mess. And decent Sgt. should back you up on that.

Now that everyone is finally thinking about money, you should get involved in pension negotiations b/c if you don't your paycheck will decrease significantly if 38 and FD get their way!

We didn't vote for COLA and none of you are demanding that we stick to the vote. GET INVOLVED PEOPLE, ITS YOUR MONEY AND FUTURE!!! Especially since this is a contract year. Raises are going to be very hard to come by and then double your current contribution on top of that? We will make LESS money for the next three years.

02-04-2008, 04:02 AM
i agree that a flat rate IS a horrible idea! but if it's that or nothing... what are you gonna take? i'm not a hundred percent sure it's ALL hype. i believe the man when he says he's cutting overtime. in fact, he's already done it. no more DUI and traffic details. the overtime river will be drying up to a trickle. p.s., history shows once they take something away (money), you ain't getting it back. so if the overtime continues to dry up, we need to start thinking about options. it's NEARLY impossible to live in this county on a single income, making this little money, and live anywhere but an apartment. overtime is a necessity for many.

this whole thing is ridiculous. the city (and everyone else) is just going to raise the millage rate to make up the loss. they won't suffer one penny. this will just be ANOTHER excuse to take more away from hard working people and divert the funds to pet projects like palm trees on crack/hooker rd.

02-14-2008, 07:48 PM
PCSO getting our over time in our city is a load of crap. Cheif help your boys out, because we don't all bring in pay checks like you and we too need to feed the family. Our city is small as it is, so lets take what off duty details that we can. I know its a liability to work details with alcohol involved but we are cops and we know how to deal with drunks. Cheif you hired good officers who know how to handle any and all situations put infront of them so the time has come to open up some additional opportunities so we can make better lives for our familes. Living paycheck to paycheck is not a way to live and ever since Largo Med went away is what I've been doing.

02-15-2008, 06:11 AM
If you write the Chief ten tickets, think of all the OT in North County! Remember portal to portal!