PDA

View Full Version : Working safely

01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
To all those who don't quite know what is expected of them by working safely, please see your shift rep for further info.

JimmyMcNulty
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
To all those who don't quite know what is expected of them by working safely, please see your shift rep for further info.
...and yes, being part of a union requires more of you than just your dues. (STRIKE TEAM, this includes you.)

01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
...and yes, being part of a union requires more of you than just your dues. (STRIKE TEAM, this includes you.)

This would make sense if the union actually worked, otherwise is money down the toilet.

01-31-2008, 10:01 PM

This would make sense if the union actually worked, otherwise is money down the toilet.
Well, cacaboi, I assume you chose your handle with care, so let's deconstruct it... Wikipedia defines "caca" as either:
A) Spanish slang for feces; or
B) a minor character in the mythological trials of Heracles

"Boi," on the other hand, is:
A) ...a term used within the lesbian community to denote a submissive butch in the S&M subculture and a young butch in the butch-femme community; or
B) In goth (and sometimes punk) subculture, a young man not afraid to experiment with traditionally "feminine" things such as eyeliner, frills, etc. and as a protest against gender roles

Which combination of those terms did you mean?

Anyway, it's obvious you're just instigating here, a plant of some sort trying to divide the union. No union member who actually goes to meetings and hears the president's report would accuse the union of doing nothing. No member who has ever needed a rep would say such a thing.

So please, stay off our board if you have nothing constructive to say. Even without your IP address, it's obvious where this post came from. On an unrelated note, I'd like to let you know about a special offer:
A select number of the nostalgic Vespa 2-stroke PX150 Standard Edition scooter is still available in all colors. Available on a first serve basis as these two-stroke 150cc units will no longer be sold in the United States. The perfect gift for the true Vespa aficionado.

02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
FACT: NOVEMBER YES NOVEMBER

Coral Springs: Deal with police includes pay raises, patrol car use
November 20, 2007
The City Commission has signed off on a police union contract for 200 sworn officers who have been working without a contract since November 2006.

Among the highlights: Officers will receive a 10 percent pay raise; specialized units such as school resource officers, detectives, canine and juvenile officers will receive an annual bonus; and pension enhancements.

In addition, until now, officers were allowed to take their police car home only if they lived in Coral Springs or five surrounding cities. Now they can take their car home anywhere in Broward or Palm Beach counties.

"We have the premier contract in the county," said Detective Scott Myers, a lead contract negotiator.

The contract runs through Nov. 15, 2009.

AND they have a COLA!

02-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyway, it's obvious you're just instigating here

No, not at all my friend, I’m one of the many who just lost hope in our union. Perhaps my words a crude or harsh but right on the money, because after all this whole thing is about money.

BTW: Typical of someone who is a cheerleader, instead of actually doing research on the subject; you just Wikipedia and that’s how you solve everything. Why don’t you look up Fort Lauderdale FOP #31 or how to fix contract problems and tell me what you come up with.

02-01-2008, 06:31 PM

No, not at all my friend, I’m one of the many who just lost hope in our union. Perhaps my words a crude or harsh but right on the money, because after all this whole thing is about money.

BTW: Typical of someone who is a cheerleader, instead of actually doing research on the subject; you just Wikipedia and that’s how you solve everything. Why don’t you look up Fort Lauderdale FOP #31 or how to fix contract problems and tell me what you come up with.

OK geinous, whats your solution?

02-01-2008, 10:53 PM
CACABOI

By saying, this is just about money, shows me you know nothing about the current conditions FLPD is going through, or just don't care. Either way, you're an idiot.

02-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Well, then... Wiki says:
A trade union or labor union is an organization of workers.

It doesn't say eight people who exist only to get you a raise/COLA. Do your part or get out of the way.

02-02-2008, 12:31 AM
ANYWAY......

I've still heard units over the radio saying this specifically, "3B2??, we'll be 10-8 from our last 10-50 and can you copy on another one?" Then 5 minutes later, "Can we get Westway? We'll be 10-15, B/M"

This isn't my shift/district, but I know other people are hearing this. Just wondering what the thoughts are on this. Is anyone pulling these people aside, talking them, explaining how this works?
I hate working like this, sitting around not doing crap; I'm bored out of my mind....but if it comes down to being a team player and working toward the collective good, then that's how it will be. I would hope that the leaders within each district/shift would be relaying this point to the rest of the "team", especially to those described above.

02-02-2008, 02:12 AM
ANYWAY......

I've still heard units over the radio saying this specifically, "3B2??, we'll be 10-8 from our last 10-50 and can you copy on another one?" Then 5 minutes later, "Can we get Westway? We'll be 10-15, B/M"

This isn't my shift/district, but I know other people are hearing this. Just wondering what the thoughts are on this. Is anyone pulling these people aside, talking them, explaining how this works?
I hate working like this, sitting around not doing crap; I'm bored out of my mind....but if it comes down to being a team player and working toward the collective good, then that's how it will be. I would hope that the leaders within each district/shift would be relaying this point to the rest of the "team", especially to those described above.

direct this to the shift rep. don't post stuff like this on a public forum, which anyone can read. you aren't supposed to be sitting around not doing crap. your supposed to be working safely. if you are confused about what this means, then see your shift rep., as it states in the original post.

02-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Either way, you're an idiot.

But I’m still KOOLAID free and out there with the ranks, busting my a$$ to get the job done. I don’t have pom-poms in my trunk nor do I buy starbucks for the chief.

02-02-2008, 03:30 AM

But I’m still KOOLAID free and out there with the ranks, busting my a$$ to get the job done. I don’t have pom-poms in my trunk nor do I buy starbucks for the chief.

02-02-2008, 08:01 AM

Then good for you. Go to work, WORK SAFELY and shut the eff up. No one cares what you do or say on here when it comes to doing the right thing with your fellow officers.

02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
What alot of you don`t understand is these strike teams are actually helping the union cause by taking away from calls for service being handled. The union is not asking for you to be a slug. There message is for the calls for service to back up causing complaints to city hall. The best way to do this is to have people be pro active and 10-6 on arrests,traffic stops and FI cards (with a back up of course). If we do nothing it will not show how short handed we are, It will just prove they are correct by being able to do more with less. As for anyone who has lost faith in the union the office is open from 9-5 so it will be very easy for you to resign.

02-02-2008, 11:20 PM
What alot of you don`t understand is these strike teams are actually helping the union cause by taking away from calls for service being handled. The union is not asking for you to be a slug. There message is for the calls for service to back up causing complaints to city hall. The best way to do this is to have people be pro active and 10-6 on arrests,traffic stops and FI cards (with a back up of course). If we do nothing it will not show how short handed we are, It will just prove they are correct by being able to do more with less. As for anyone who has lost faith in the union the office is open from 9-5 so it will be very easy for you to resign.

Your philosophy in what the union is trying to accomplish is misguided an counter productive, which is most likely due to a lack of maturity and experience, this is evident by your choice of a username.

02-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Your right, I feel terrible. Sorry Chief.

02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
The Strike team is not helping the union by making crap arrest after crap arrest. All they are doing is giving the administration crap numbers to take to city hall and tell them what a good job we are doing. Again, like the first post, please see your shift rep for instructions. There are ways you can stay busy and pro-active all shift and not be shills for the administration by making BS arrests. Catch the REAL bad guys whenever possible, but don't go nuts with the BS! You're only hurting us.

02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I also feel terrible, I`m Sorry David

02-04-2008, 12:18 AM

Your philosophy in what the union is trying to accomplish is misguided an counter productive, which is most likely due to a lack of maturity and experience, this is evident by your choice of a username.

As everyone knows, FLPD is a very young department right now. I can attest to this because I only have about 2 years with the city, including 6 months at the academy, and I work with a bunch of rookies like myself. I, along with the majority of the rookies, believe that "WORKING SAFELY" is best defined as my friend Arty Vandelay described it under another thread, I think it was titled "WORKING THE RULE." The problem is, who am I to go up to another officer, who I don't know personally, who has just as much time as me or maybe a few months less than me, and tell them how they should work. I have no problem with doing it. The problem is that it won't have the same effect as it would if a senior officer pulled them aside after seeing a rookie not "work safely" and let him know what’s up.

Obviously Spoogonmychest or whatever his username was doesn't get it. The senior guys know it and they need to make it right. I think an old weathered man with a lit cigarette bobbing up and down in his mouth as he yells obscenities at you gets the message across quicker and with a more lasting impression. That’s just my opinion. But if nothing is done about this problem, then “’working safely” is not going to work. A few guys (or girls) with some real time on need to get together and set this BS Strike team straight because they obviously don’t get it.

02-04-2008, 05:58 AM

As everyone knows, FLPD is a very young department right now. I can attest to this because I only have about 2 years with the city, including 6 months at the academy, and I work with a bunch of rookies like myself. I, along with the majority of the rookies, believe that "WORKING SAFELY" is best defined as my friend Arty Vandelay described it under another thread, I think it was titled "WORKING THE RULE." The problem is, who am I to go up to another officer, who I don't know personally, who has just as much time as me or maybe a few months less than me, and tell them how they should work. I have no problem with doing it. The problem is that it won't have the same effect as it would if a senior officer pulled them aside after seeing a rookie not "work safely" and let him know what’s up.

Obviously Spoogonmychest or whatever his username was doesn't get it. The senior guys know it and they need to make it right. I think an old weathered man with a lit cigarette bobbing up and down in his mouth as he yells obscenities at you gets the message across quicker and with a more lasting impression. That’s just my opinion. But if nothing is done about this problem, then “’working safely” is not going to work. A few guys (or girls) with some real time on need to get together and set this BS Strike team straight because they obviously don’t get it.

Shift change is this weekend, with that the current "strike team" will be scattered to the winds. Upon reviewing the roster, I doubt you'll have the same problem in 2 evenings after shift change. You only have to deal with one more week of unintelligible, no reference/S-13 10-31's.

02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
You stupid GED cops, really like those guys on the "Strike Team". It seem like to me those guys are the only one keeping myself and my family, oh and the rest the citizens of Fort Lauderdale safe. That's why I'm glad you guys don't have a contract. You stupid GEDers don't deserve one, heck give those guys on the Strike team a raise. You weak cops are luck you work in the public sector, because the ones that bust there butts at work, no matter what to get the job done, would have had there raises buy now. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I SENSE A LAWSUIT BEWING

BSO WHERE ARE YOU !!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

02-04-2008, 11:10 PM
You stupid GED cops, really like those guys on the "Strike Team". It seem like to me those guys are the only one keeping myself and my family, oh and the rest the citizens of Fort Lauderdale safe. That's why I'm glad you guys don't have a contract. You stupid GEDers don't deserve one, heck give those guys on the Strike team a raise. You weak cops are luck you work in the public sector, because the ones that bust there butts at work, no matter what to get the job done, would have had there raises buy now. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I SENSE A LAWSUIT BEWING

Rrrrrrrright....and your fantastic use of grammar and punctuation shows me that your Dillard night school classes are really paying dividends. Your BSO reference tells me that you were turned down by FLPD and now work private security for Publix, OR you are a corrections deputy that can't get a road gig. By the way, your address is NW what? That's what I thought. Have a great day and there's a spill on aisle 11, go clean it up for me. Numbnuts

02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
[quote="Artie With th Weather"][quote="Average -citizen"]You stupid GED cops, really like those guys on the "Strike Team". It seem like to me those guys are the only one keeping myself and my family, oh and the rest the citizens of Fort Lauderdale safe. That's why I'm glad you guys don't have a contract. You stupid GEDers don't deserve one, heck give those guys on the Strike team a raise. You weak cops are luck you work in the public sector, because the ones that bust there butts at work, no matter what to get the job done, would have had there raises buy now. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I SENSE A LAWSUIT BEWING

Average Citizen:

Your "eavesdropping" is giving you an unclear picture of the situation. For several years now, we have been asked, begged, by City Hall to keep this broken system going. We were told repeatedly that they know there are problems, they know we are undercompensated, but if we just make it work until the City get financially stable again, they would make it up to us in our next contract. Well, we made it work. We bent safety rules, endangering ourselves, to ensure the citizens and their property were safe. Many of us were put in hazardous situations, some were seriously hurt, in order to help the City through the tough time. We stayed put, didn't "jump ship" to better departments. We upheld our part of the bargain. We trusted the City, took them at their word, that they would make it up to us in the next contract. Well, now its contract time. Now the City is reneging on their part of the bargain. Now the City wants us to continue endangering ourselves in violation of their own regulations. We trusted them and they betrayed us. None of us are calling for the police to allow to run rampant, we will continue to do our jobs, but we will no longer bend the rules in the City's favor. We will follow their rules and regulations and they will see that has been us hazardously carrying the burden for them and the system will not work as it currently exists. No one will allow a citizen to be endangered but we will no longer play the City's game.

02-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Wait........I got a BS from a private school. In Fact, I think I work with just as many guys with College as I do with just a high school diploma.

[quote="Average -citizen":2orlsai4]You stupid GED cops, really like those guys on the "Strike Team". It seem like to me those guys are the only one keeping myself and my family, oh and the rest the citizens of Fort Lauderdale safe. That's why I'm glad you guys don't have a contract. You stupid GEDers don't deserve one, heck give those guys on the Strike team a raise. You weak cops are luck you work in the public sector, because the ones that bust there butts at work, no matter what to get the job done, would have had there raises buy now. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I SENSE A LAWSUIT BEWING

Rrrrrrrright....and your fantastic use of grammar and punctuation shows me that your Dillard night school classes are really paying dividends. Your BSO reference tells me that you were turned down by FLPD and now work private security for Publix, OR you are a corrections deputy that can't get a road gig. By the way, your address is NW what? That's what I thought. Have a great day and there's a spill on aisle 11, go clean it up for me. Numbnuts[/quote:2orlsai4]

02-05-2008, 03:20 AM

We have been "busting our butts" and doing "more with less." We are now simply refusing to do "more with less." I find it disgusting that you, as a citizen, want your cops to be burnt out, under paid, and over worked. Keep in mind, BSO has the same problem. I really don't see how BSO would be the answer to the current contract situation given the fact they are having contract issues themselves. I do, however, know for a fact that a dictionary would help your spelling problems. By the way, I have a Masters degree, a Bachelors degree, and two Associates degrees. The "Average- citizen" has, what?

To my fellow officers, maybe this isn't the place bash our own. You never know when a misinformed outsider will "attempt" to read this forum. Just a thought.

02-06-2008, 03:41 AM

For God's sake, get out of here Gretsas!

02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
A friend of mine told me that someone use stupid enough to actually put a name on this shit. Those of you who think I have time to waste with this web page ( THATS JUST STUPID). I have only ever posted one time on this and that was to say my peace. Im only posting now to clear the air. look if anybody wants to talk to me (grow a pair). I am very easy to talk to. We work at the same place. I mean come on this is getting ridiculous. Have any of you ever stopped to read this. If I want to disrespect any of you I will defenitly do it face to face.
We are POLICE OFFICERS LETS HAVE SOME PRIDE AND RESPECT FOR EACHOTHER. I know I work with good people,even if you have decided not to like me. Trust me if I have anything to say to you, you will hear it from my mouth. I Do understand the whole working safely thing, but union members informed me that i should keep being proactive because it helps the cause. (AND IM ON PROBATION). As far as bad arrest if those of you would like a copy of my PC or a phone call for an approval from you, just come talk to me and maybe we can work that out. you must not work D2, IVE been improving

02-07-2008, 09:57 PM
A friend of mine told me that someone use stupid enough to actually put a name on this shizzat. Those of you who think I have time to waste with this web page ( THATS JUST STUPID). I have only ever posted one time on this and that was to say my peace. Im only posting now to clear the air. look if anybody wants to talk to me (grow a pair). I am very easy to talk to. We work at the same place. I mean come on this is getting ridiculous. Have any of you ever stopped to read this. If I want to disrespect any of you I will defenitly do it face to face.
We are POLICE OFFICERS LETS HAVE SOME PRIDE AND RESPECT FOR EACHOTHER. I know I work with good people,even if you have decided not to like me. Trust me if I have anything to say to you, you will hear it from my mouth. I Do understand the whole working safely thing, but union members informed me that i should keep being proactive because it helps the cause. (AND IM ON PROBATION). As far as bad arrest if those of you would like a copy of my PC or a phone call for an approval from you, just come talk to me and maybe we can work that out. you must not work D2, IVE been improving
If I knew any better, I'd laugh. It almost seems like this is some guy mocking the non-folliculate proby. Unfortunately, no one puts in this kind of time mocking someone. I should know. Dude, join the team. We're over here, miserably bored. How does giving the brass (which is synonymous with city) what they want help us? I've got plenty of respect for guys who make sacrifices. Couple of hours on the last Tuesday of the month, taking a little heat for a bare-minimum stat sheet... We don't ask much of you guys. No door-to-door campaigning. No monetary or benefit sacrifices. I wonder if you'll even appreciate the raise if & when we get it.

02-08-2008, 03:25 AM
A friend of mine told me that someone use stupid enough to actually put a name on this shizzat. Those of you who think I have time to waste with this web page ( THATS JUST STUPID). I have only ever posted one time on this and that was to say my peace. Im only posting now to clear the air. look if anybody wants to talk to me (grow a pair). I am very easy to talk to. We work at the same place. I mean come on this is getting ridiculous. Have any of you ever stopped to read this. If I want to disrespect any of you I will defenitly do it face to face.

Just stop..........stop now. Your shooting yourself in the foot as you shove it into your mouth. My advice to you, stop talking, close the curtains and slowly drift back stage. Maybe no one will remember. You will kick yourself later.