PDA

View Full Version : Why Fuss Take Homes ?

01-30-2008, 04:21 AM
Okay...

I've been reading posts all over this site and one of the most prevalent gripes is that they don't get take home cars.

Can somebody shed some light as to why you would want a MARKED police car parked in front of your house ?

I mean other than maybe the big deterrent or the savings in miles on our POV I see no other real benefits to having a take home car.

This would be the equal to some office worker taking his/her desk home everynight and by doing that, you are also bringing your work home with you and become the neighborhood cop which in my opinion brings unwanted positive and negative attention depending on who you ask.

Also if you live in a HOA community you are bringing in a horribly marked vehicle that puts so shame any commercially marked van or truck and thus clashing with the community and its aesthetics.

So why do you want a take home car ?

01-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Quick answer.

$3.10 a gallon.

01-30-2008, 04:29 AM
BECAUSE THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY GAS.... SO THEY CAN HAVE THEIR POV PARKED AT HOME WITHOUT PUTTING MILES ON IT!

01-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Come on!! Do you really have to ask such a ridiculous question?

01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Simple, we are civil servants ...

Let me explain, when all workers from Microsoft dont got to work, Microsoft loses money.
When police don't go to work, people might die.
[b]
When your pager goes off and you have to come-in ref riots, disturbances, protest, and yes .... natural disasters ... your going to go bonkers trying to 05.

Ask anyone who has been here long enough to have an opinion ... ask them how much fun it was to come into work (A/B shifts) with NO GAS in your private vehicle.

Our job description differs from other non-essential personel.

01-31-2008, 03:09 AM
Well, 3.10 a gallon is paid by every **** and jane why should the citizens foot the bill for your gas on top of your pay ????, I've seen Miami beach police cars parked at homes all the way out in Margate !!! can you imagine how much this cop is costing the city of MB that issued the car, gas and insurance ?

Bottom line guys/gals your job is just a job and for those that say it is an essencial job, well so is FIRE, FPL, DERM, SO. FL WATER MANAGEMENT DIST., and yet I hear no crying out of them.

Bear in mind that the homestead exemption just passed overwhemingly and this is only the start of very drastic cuts in funding for public servant salaries and perks.

I would suggest that you keep enough gas in your tanks that will allow you to make it to work just like the rest of us!

01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Ok Alan, let me break it down for you in this manner. Yes a police unit is essential, but in law enforcement it is condisered a perk. If not then why does the top of the administration have them. It is not feasible for a firefighter to take home a ladder or rescue truck. They have other perks, such as sleeping, working out, playing basketball, cooking, and the list goes on. Those are the perks that firefighters have when they are not being called upon. It would also not be feasible for an FPL worker to take a gigantic truck home. Answer me this then. Why do our policitians have take homes? Yes they live in the city, but why do they have them? A perk?

When the vast majorities of law enforcement agenices have take homes and a select few do not, it raises questions as to why.

01-31-2008, 06:01 PM
[quote="Bottom line guys/gals your job is just a job and for those that say it is an essencial job, well so is FIRE, FPL, DERM, SO. FL WATER MANAGEMENT DIST., and yet I hear no crying out of them.[quote]

In my neighborhood I have cars from all the above agencies and companies that you mention parked in peoples driveways.
It's not just a perk for them, they are "on call" to respond to an emergency if needed. It cuts the response time in half.
The same with police officers. Do you know how much time is wasted at the beginning and end of each shift because officers have to load and unload their equipment? Not to mention having to carefully inspect their assigned car for damage that may not have been reported by the previous driver every day. Thats unproductive time that you, the taxpayer are paying for.
There are a lot more reasons that it would save you money but thats for another post.

01-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Alan Brito Prieto,

Let's set aside the fact that all major South Florida Law Enforcement Agency's have a take home program ( Standard Perk ) and forget the costs officers would save.

There is no way you can legitimately argue the importance of fire and police personnel as compared to, "FPL, DERM, SO. FL WATER MANAGEMENT DIST". None of your mentioned poorly reasoned, "essential services", will step foot in a riot, protest, disturbances, natural disasters ... until its safe. Even Fire personnel need to wait until Police secured the scene before they move in. AGAIN, I don't expect them to respond them to because its not their job.

I you think it costs a lot of money to implement a take home program and hire the needed officers ... just calculate the expense the City of Hialeah will incur if Metro Dade would provide Law Enforcement.

Thanks, for your advice of filling up the gas tank ... I'll be sure to remember that next hurricane that screws up everything for 2 weeks ... I'm afraid I already know my response when I get called in to 05 .... I'm ready/ willing to come to work, I ran out of gas ....please come pick me up.

02-01-2008, 01:50 AM
That is the best response Ihave heard. Next time there is an emergency I will tell HPD that I have no gas and they can come picl me up!!! Talk about an emergency plan!!!!!!!

02-01-2008, 04:36 AM
Well your responses are fine and I accept them party and etirely respectively. However what if the people that write the checks do not wish to spend any more on their police services ?

Will you quit the job you love ?

Will you not be replaced by younger less demading officers ?

Will you whine and squeal until a new mayor and council come around ?

What are the odds of the the citizens of Hialeah allowing MDPD in when they obviously don't want to pay more for take homes ? seriously!

As to why BRASS have take homes while rank and file do not ? well the brass has earned them whether you like it or not.

Elected officials have been through he rigors of elections and have been placed there by the citizens and since the pay is close to zero, I think a car isn't much to give.

The reality is that citizens voted to cut their taxes, and don't want to pay a dime more for their services. Either suck it up like big boys and girls or move onto other places that do have such perks for rank and file officers.

Remember the rules are made by even those that you arrest, hmm what irony.

Stay safe and stop crying please... it ain't happening!

02-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Hey **** and thats what you are. A perk to me is something that some people get and others don't!! Every single department in South Florida with more than 75 cops have take homes and many with less officers!!! You are right HPD should not have perks, but perks are things that only the top departments have not Opa Lockas and Sweetwater!!! However, take your perks and showed it. I will make my money and not cacth one bad guy!! God forbid I get hurt are you crazy!! The citizens can not give me take homes you are right. But the citizens can't make me cacth the 29 guy that is going to end up shooting one of them either!!!! It is a two way sword.

Even before this tax thing HPD never has been close to having what other departments have, period. But I am very happy. I do as little as possible, a ticket or two on some old people that forgot to put on their turn signals and I get left alone. I am very happy here becasue here lazy peopel like myself can get by and even excel!!!! In the City of Miami I would be considered a scum bag, yet here my supervisors think I am a good cop because I bring them the tickets they want!!! I love HPD!!!!!!!

02-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Please make no mistake... my previous statements were to clarify ridicolous questions made by an obvious new person to HPD. I ***** AND 39 the scum bags ...

Thanks to Overton, the department is a place where you can do real police work again. If take homes are not in the horizon, the city will still lose money with the fleeing officers and we're left with the caliber of officer like, "HPD for Life".

This department has been running on the shoulders of a few, so do what you want at the cost of your reputation.

They can slice the city's budget to pieces but it still won't change the importance of law enforcement.

02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
You can do whatever you want. You can go out there and catch 26 and 29 guys and get a pat on the back. I will continue to give the city as little as they give me! And thats not much! I feel bad giving those old people tickets, but then I think about the fact they voted for the Mayor. Yeah with Overton I have heard you can do "real Police work" but if you come with less than 2 tickets a month SV will still write me up!!! I am not too smart but it was like that with Bolanos too! I think?

So to all the real cops go for it as Rocky would say. I will make more money than you and come home every night and still be seen as a great officer because my supervisors don't have to worry about cathing hell because one of their officers is low on tickets!! Speak to most supervisors and they will tell you that all they want is an officer that gives them the two ticket a day and does the right 62's !!! I don't blame the sergeants and neither should you. After all even if you catch an armed 29 subject your supervisor is seeing as a scumbag because his officer did not get the two tickets a day average. So please when things change let me know. Until then I will be enjoying my vacation at HPD! And they said police work was dangerous and hard!!!! I guess they have never been to HPD!!!!

02-01-2008, 07:15 PM
So HPD 4 LIfe and Homer, what you are saying is: either you get a take home car or your will willfully ignore your duty to act ?

Geez that sounds like blackmail

02-02-2008, 04:05 AM
Quick answer.

$3.10 a gallon.

Soon to be $3.89 this summer

Soon to be $4.59 in 09

******* oil companies!

02-02-2008, 06:05 AM
6.89 a gallon in 2010

02-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Does Hialeah Gardens get take home?

02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
No, Hialeah Gardens doesn't get take homes.

Homer & HPD 4 Life, the reasons you give to justify your poor work ethic are ridiculous. Guess what, there will ALWAYS be a reason not to work... apply for Shangri-La PD.

I'm convinced that your brains went into atrophy and you couldn't write an A-form if your life depended on it. Sadly, we all know who you are. We're waiting for the day you decide to conquer the fear of that blank A-form... check the handbook, there are more charges than traffic PTA's.

As for the new guys, some of you are doing great yet some of you are so concerned about being proactive that you don't even know how to handle calls for service.

02-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Take home cars are always better maintained, in better condition, and have a longer road life than pool cars. The overall life time of the car would more than make up for the cost of gas. Also, officers with take home cars can keep more and better equipment for doing their jobs because they don't have to cross load gear bags and tuff boxes from car to car every day.

Finally, why is it that for years here the two guys that keep us from getting take home cars, that is 100 and 5000, both have take home cars? If they gave up their city paid cars they would have more credibility to us when they say no to the take homes.

02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Does Hialeah Gardens get take home?

Where is the Hialeah GARDENS forum board? :?:

02-04-2008, 09:42 PM
You bunch of GED'rs do not deserve take home vehicles!!!! You are the worst police officers in South Florida. I will never recommend to the Mayor that a bunch of barely English writing and speaking manual workers, which is all you are!!, get take home vehicles!!!

Only the highly educated and professionals "CALEA" certified departments like the County, City of Miami, and many others deserve the take home vehicles. Do not dare blame the Honorable Mayor for your lack of take homes!!! Look in the mirror. HPD is the sewer of the South Florida Law Enforcement Community!!! We have more than four times as many GED'rs per capita than the County!!!! So stop whining because you are the worst of the worst. You GED'rs are not at the bottom of the list you are the bottom of the list!!!!

If any of you has any intellectual capital please explain to me why HPD is the only police department in South Florida with more than 80 officers that is not CALEA certified and has not take homes?

I have researched all of these issues for the Honorable Mayor, that is what educated people do!!! HPD gets what it deserves! I thought that by leaving you people alone for a while under a new Chief you would be like nice little factory workers and behave, but no!!!! Once all of you accept that perhaps not you as an individual, but as a department you are the worst of the worst you will not be unsatisfied with what you have. And in time will thank the mayor that you have what you have!!!!

However, this will all change when we appoint our Commanders in place. Thanks to the new plan we at City Hall will finally have the power to put our people into place. People that will treat you GED'rs how you deserve. We were only able to get two of our Commanders in place this time, but as soon as this Chief leaves we will appoint 11 positions to deal with you GED'rs once and for all!!!!! Bow before Power!!!

:twisted: :evil:

MOD 422
02-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Whoa Concepcion. Ease up there a little pal. Don’t want to have to start deleting everything you write. Commander SV fell in line and you will have too also.

02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Concepcion, why the hatred? While a child, did you see your mother engaged in adulterous coitus with a police officer while your dad worked in one of Hialeah's factory? If you are a hetero, did you learn that your girlfriend had fellated a cop? Why the loathing?

MOD 422
02-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Oh come on guys. The above post is what causes the problems with these elitist. Why should I hold them to the terms of use and insist on decency when you pin heads post things like this. Grow up.

02-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Mr. Modd this is what I am talking about!!! While I will stand by my principles and beliefs that HPD is full of GED'rs and uneducated malcontents, they do only but attack me personally!!! Any educated person, unlike the factory workers working as police officers at HPD, know that when you can not attack the positions of your adversary, you make personal attacks!

I find this personal attacks upon my integrity and Honor a conviction of my ideas! None of you GED'rs want to look in the mirror and ask yourself why every other police department in South Florida has more than you? Because they are more, they deserve more, there are more highly educated and trained! Not to mention they have command of the English language and I am not talking about only grammar you GED'rs, which is the only thing you think of when you think of command of a language!!!

Modd I am a Man of conviction and I am sorry if some of the things I say sound hurtful, for that is not my intent. However, MOdd have you ever seen the HPD? Have you ever had contact with those people called HPD officers? Please Modd before you pass judgement upon me ask yourself what kind of reputation HPD has? They are the worst of the worst! They are the place where only those people that can not be hired anywhere else as police officers go!!! and the few that get hired unaware of what kind of police department HPD is LEAVE!!!! They leave because they can not work with the low quality of people that have amassed at HPD.

Mr. Modd have I ever attacked any individuals? No!! I only bring into the light the dismal and apolling standards that allow these people to be police officers when they should be working in a factory somewhere for minimum wage!!! Mr. Modd as you can see none of them have the will to answer my original question of why HPD officers get less, have less, and are the only Major department in South Florida without take home cars? They do not want to answer because they already know why! They are less than other departments. Please just look at an officer from the County and you can see the difference a mile away! I await a challenge and hang in there Sergio your time is coming!

:twisted: :evil:

MOD 422
02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Conception. My personal feelings one way or the other doesn’t matter. I have no opinion about HPD or you or anyone else on this board. As Moderator my only responsibility is to insure that the rules and terms of use are met by each and every poster. You complain about personal attacks. Well Sir you bring them on yourself. You don’t offer any solution, only spout your elitist opinions and hateful comments. Maybe just maybe if you tried to work with the Officers of HPD instead of insulting them, you might see a difference. Why do they hate you so. Well read your post and put yourself in their place for once. These Officers do a job that is probably one of the most dangerous jobs in your area. I think if you give them a chance and encourage them instead of constantly insulting them and trying to tear them down with your belittling remarks, you might be surprised. Unfortunately I don’t think you can do that and it is probably too late to repair the damage that you have already done. I have said much more than I should have. A wise man once said “you can not make anyone do a good job, but you can make them want too.” That man was General David Petraus and he spoke those words to me and several others in the US Embassy in Baghdad Iraq. With the proper encouragement, support, training and incentives just about everyone will bring themselves up to the task at hand. Like I said, give it a try.

I have expressed an opinion here which is not something that Moderators are encouraged to do. If any of you feel that I have over stepped my bounds feel free to contact MOD 1 and have me removed as your Moderator.

02-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Save gas' Moved to Hialeah

02-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Hey ****cepcion, most of us know your a cop here at HPD already, so give it up. At first your post were humorous but now they are just tastless. I understand getting a rouse out of people but enough is enough. Your a jerk off. These comments do not bother me any but they might irritate others within our department, dumbass.

02-06-2008, 01:53 AM
I work for a small Dept. NBVPD we have 28 guys, before take homes a car with 30k miles was rag'd out, falling apart and it was less that two years old, after take homes, my car has 50k miles and still runs and smells like new, I will keep it for another 2 years, one of our guys has 80 or 90k miles on his 06'crown vic and its in mint condition, when HPD finally realizes that they can get 5 years out of a car instead of 2 maybe the third year as a parts/spare car they will see the savings, We have had couple of guys detached to a HIDTA/DEA Group for years and the money they bring in has been paying for our police cars,motors and boat since 1999. No Tax Payer Money, All Drug Dealer Money, Crime does pay. As for that CLOWN who does not think cops should have take homes, He's too stupid to fill out an application, but I saw him in a police uniform at Wana-do-City. As for the BIG property tax cuts you talk about CLOWN, they cant stick those $200 bucks you know where. No matter what, us COPS will alway have a job no matter what the economy does. To Clavijo, Penate, Trooper Nieves, my Cousin Naranjo, P.Kennedy, El Eanano K9 Sgt, son todos una pila de maricones! :D LOL, keep up the good work!

02-06-2008, 02:46 AM
If you work for a small department stay off of our board fag. We don't have take homes and we still have 98's on the road that run and look just fine. If we had take homes they would last even longer. You are just a wannabe cop working for a Micky Mouse dept. like sweetwater or hialeah gardens and probably got fired from H.P.D. while still in F.T.O.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

02-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Call it Micky Mouse if you want to, but we have take homes and state retirement, and the city pays 75% of our family medical coverage and we have unlimited use of our cars within dade, broward and palm beach! Oh and our rookie mousekateers start out at 42K, you want to compare paychecks, I'd hate to see you cry on the hood of your rag'd out 98', dont hate me, hate your repressive administration, I have lots of friends and a family member at HPD and you guys are pass due on having your take homes

02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Our problem is that we still ride those crappy and dangerous units from 1998 and 2000 which are falling apart. If we started to crash all the new units then we might get somewhere! If we all crashed the new units and I mean tottallll!!! Then the city might have to start to see how they can make cars last longer! So please if you crash make it a new car and make it a good one.

02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. You are kidding right.

02-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Our problem is that we still ride those crappy and dangerous units from 1998 and 2000 which are falling apart. If we started to crash all the new units then we might get somewhere! If we all crashed the new units and I mean tottallll!!! Then the city might have to start to see how they can make cars last longer! So please if you crash make it a new car and make it a good one.

This comment proves the psychological is a waste of money, it doesn't detect idiocy!

02-07-2008, 01:47 AM
No Idiotic is proved by idiots who do the same job as County police officers and get less money, less extra duty, and less take home vehicles!!!

02-07-2008, 02:22 AM
If you want to crash the cars please make sure that it's the old ones. At least we will have the newer ones to handle calls in. And to the punk that works for another department, please stay off of our message board because we don't want you here even if you know the entire police department. What's the problem ? Your dept. doesn't have it's own board or you are afraid to go on it fat boy.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

02-07-2008, 02:35 AM
The idea of crashing the cars is the most "come pinga" idea that I've ever heard. You will only add to the problem, the Mayor is going to think that we are a bunch of idiots and then we will never see anything new ever again.

02-07-2008, 02:42 AM
Crash them alLLL!!!!!!! Crash them All!!!!!! All the new cars crash them. If I can't take the new car home I will Crash it!!!!!!!!!!

02-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Crash them alLLL!!!!!!! Crash them All!!!!!! All the new cars crash them. If I can't take the new car home I will Crash it!!!!!!!!!!

Get of hold of the officer riding "a two men unit".... I believe is Cast....

02-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Not cool my friends. Lets take care of what we have and try to reason with the mayor and chief.
The mayor was seen at the funeral of city commish,Tomas Regalado's wife so maybe he was briefed by those in power on how to run a good dept.? Maybe he is reaching out and we will get our cars? Oy vey!

02-07-2008, 06:01 AM
You ignorant rook!! We will never get cars to take home because Raul Martinez does not think stupid Cops should have vehicles to take home! After all what makes cops different than sanitation workers? That is Raul's mentality!!! While I do not want to crash because I do not want to get hurt!!! Any of you that would like to crash a car Go for It!!!!! I could care less about any of those vehilces. They give me no benefit and if they run out of vehicles I get to stay at the station longer not doing anything!!! So go for it and crash them AlL!!!! Don't worry if they put me on foot patrol the sergeant will be doing an injury package on my Monday every week!!! They can't get me because I know how to play the game!!!!!

02-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Leave the rook alone. I felt like him many years ago. Hang in there kid. However, the 5 year guy is right in the part about the never getting take homes!! As far as crashing the vehicles it will not make a difference one way or the other. But if it makes you happier I guess "Crash them ALL!!!!".

02-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Leave the rook alone. I felt like him many years ago. Hang in there kid. However, the 5 year guy is right in the part about the never getting take homes!! As far as crashing the vehicles it will not make a difference one way or the other. But if it makes you happier I guess "Crash them ALL!!!!".