PDA

View Full Version : If Only I Had a Time Machine

01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Several years ago I was in the process with the state police in my home state and FHP. The pay in my home state was a little under $41,000 and the pay at FHP was/is $34,000. When it came time to make a decision I chose FHP. I thought it would be a great place to work due to the high profile nature of Florida, the population size, and the ability to work with a lot of troopers taking down criminals.

Fast forward to present time and I realize all that was a pipe dream. On top of that my home state now has a starting pay of $48,120. I will actually be making the same amount of money in the academy as I now make here at FHP($3,000 a month). The very first day I step out of the academy I will be making $1,000 more a month, plus I will have all the opportunities that a state police agency offers.

At the time it was a good decision to come to FHP because I did not know any better. Florida is a great state full of a lot of opportunity that I hate to leave, but I must look out for my future. Hopefully someday the people in charge will come to their senses and make FHP the agency it should be. Until then I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

01-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I too have came to a similar conclusion. I have begun planning my exit from FHP. Looks like I should be able to move in March.

01-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Where are you going, which State Police? And are they still hiring?

01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Where are you going, which State Police? And are they still hiring?

https://www.illinoistrooper.com/index.htm

Yes they are and they have upcoming testing dates. Read the requirement though. They require quite a bit more than FHP.

01-24-2008, 04:53 AM
I actually had the honor to speak with an ISP officer that retired at the rank of Sgt. His PENSION is $100,000 a year. I can't pack my bags fast enough!!!

01-27-2008, 05:26 PM
I actually had the honor to speak with an ISP officer that retired at the rank of Sgt. His PENSION is $100,000 a year. I can't pack my bags fast enough!!!

What is the cost of living and does IL have state income tax?

01-27-2008, 06:17 PM

What is the cost of living and does IL have state income tax?

The cost of living is extremely low unless you are around Chicago and St. Louis. St. Louis is slightly lower than large cities in Florida and Chicago is probably 10-20% higher on average. There are extremely nice areas around Chicago though which explains the higher housing costs. In other more rural areas of IL a brand new 3/3/2, 2000 sq ft house can be bought for under 200K. Besides Chicago and St. Louis I would say the average house cost $150,000. IL's state income tax is around 3%.