PDA

View Full Version : How is it?

01-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Hello Everyone.

Im an Academy graduate in the bay area. The Temple Terrace Police Department is high on my list of places to work. So How is it working for TTPD in general?
You guys look sharp when i see you out on the road, and ive been told TTPD has a reputation as a great agency to work for, just looking for a little insight from the troops.
Thanks all.

01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Dont bank on just what you see....Read some of the past threads on this site.

01-23-2008, 02:17 AM
I got this off the TPD site. Youd be crazy not to apply with them before applying here. You could make between 10k and 20k more over there in your first year alone without experience. If you have experience you could make even more. Almost everyone here applied with TPD first. If I were you Id try Tampa and check out the SO to.

Tampa PD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still accepting applications for both Florida certified officers and for non-certified officers via our academy scholarship program. The scholarship program pays all academy costs and also pays a $400 per week stipend while in the academy.

We just passed a new contract that will be giving us a 14% raise over the next three years. Starting base salary for someone without experience is $44,387. Experienced officers start out up to $48,401. That doesn't include holiday pay, shift differential pay, or any incentive pay. It's not uncommon for rookie officers to make over $50K when a little overtime or extra duty is factored in.

At the end of our current contract period in 2008, a ten year patrolman will be making $75,358 for base salary. Senior corporals/detectives will be making $83,969 and senior sergeants will be making $92,476. Again, that's just base salary.

We got some other things in our contract such as an increased hour of overtime for court appearances (three hours paid), an extra shift differential ($1 per hour for midnights and 80 cents for eves), and an extra $230 per month for FTOs. On the benefits side, the city pays 100% of the employee's health insurance costs and 50% of family coverage. We currently contribute 1.8% of our salary toward our pension, which has a 3.15% yearly multiplier. The union is fighting to try to increase the multiplier up to 3.5% and to get the city to provide us some sort of healthcare in retirement. We also have a four on / four off workweek in patrol. This means a four day weekend every week!

Here's a link to the Personnel Department's website:

http://www.tampagov.net/dept_police/...reau/index.asp

Note that the salaries listed for sergeants and corporals/detectives don't reflect our new contract for some reason. Here's a link to the full contract:

http://www.wcfpba.org/images/2006_PB...ed_12-4-06.pdf

It's a good place to work with a mayor and administration who are generally supportive of their officers. Morale is good and the cost of living around here is such that an officer can easily afford to buy a home in a decent area.

01-23-2008, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the info.

In response to checking out the other threads, i try to look past that, and i must say as i whole the TTPD forum seems pretty well behaved compared to others in the area!

Stay safe guys and gals. Appreciate the input!

01-23-2008, 04:51 AM
I realize my last post could have been taken the wrong way.
Every agency has its problems is all i meant to say.
Thanks.

01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
If he was interested in TPD don't you think he would have posted on TPD's site????? Hmmm,,maybe he doesn't want to be a burnt out, disgruntled sixty year old Officer.

I got this off the TPD site. Youd be crazy not to apply with them before applying here. You could make between 10k and 20k more over there in your first year alone without experience. If you have experience you could make even more. Almost everyone here applied with TPD first. If I were you Id try Tampa and check out the SO to.

Tampa PD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still accepting applications for both Florida certified officers and for non-certified officers via our academy scholarship program. The scholarship program pays all academy costs and also pays a $400 per week stipend while in the academy.

We just passed a new contract that will be giving us a 14% raise over the next three years. Starting base salary for someone without experience is $44,387. Experienced officers start out up to $48,401. That doesn't include holiday pay, shift differential pay, or any incentive pay. It's not uncommon for rookie officers to make over $50K when a little overtime or extra duty is factored in.

At the end of our current contract period in 2008, a ten year patrolman will be making $75,358 for base salary. Senior corporals/detectives will be making $83,969 and senior sergeants will be making $92,476. Again, that's just base salary.

We got some other things in our contract such as an increased hour of overtime for court appearances (three hours paid), an extra shift differential ($1 per hour for midnights and 80 cents for eves), and an extra $230 per month for FTOs. On the benefits side, the city pays 100% of the employee's health insurance costs and 50% of family coverage. We currently contribute 1.8% of our salary toward our pension, which has a 3.15% yearly multiplier. The union is fighting to try to increase the multiplier up to 3.5% and to get the city to provide us some sort of healthcare in retirement. We also have a four on / four off workweek in patrol. This means a four day weekend every week!

Here's a link to the Personnel Department's website:

http://www.tampagov.net/dept_police/...reau/index.asp

Note that the salaries listed for sergeants and corporals/detectives don't reflect our new contract for some reason. Here's a link to the full contract:

http://www.wcfpba.org/images/2006_PB...ed_12-4-06.pdf

It's a good place to work with a mayor and administration who are generally supportive of their officers. Morale is good and the cost of living around here is such that an officer can easily afford to buy a home in a decent area.

01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
It's good to see that you are mature enough to see past the three or four morons that post here that claim to represent this agency. TTPD is a good agency to work for. It is true that officers at Tampa PD make more money, however I was talking to a Cpl and an officer there a few days ago and they envy our agency for the training and equipment that we get. Not too many Departments will front you the money for an AR15 and then payroll deduct that amount over two years time.

We have felt the budget crunch much the same as everyone else, but the Department is still expecting an expansion when most others are simply trying to keep from reducing the number of officers on the street. We have had significant changes in leadership recently and hopefully that will trickle down to the rest of the units.

It would be nice if the eternal pessimists that regularly post here would leave for another job, but I would hate to rob our village of its idiots.

Good luck throughout your application process!

01-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the reply, the reason i asked was because i am a Temple Terrace resident and would be interested in Policing the area i live in.

Other questions i was seeking answers to.....What type of calls to service to you most often receive. Are your patrol officers required to heavily enforce traffic violations or is it more self initiated? What type of shifts are you guys on? Is proactive patrol encouraged? I plan on trying to ride along with TTPD in the near future so im sure i will find out.
Just trying to get a better inside into your agency.

Thanks!

01-24-2008, 09:26 PM
We respond to a wide variety of calls for service. Traffic enforcement is self-initiated (there are no quotas), but encouraged since it has the potential to lead to so many other things. We work 12 hour shifts, same as HCSO. Most are very proactive and I would encourage that you do a Ride-Along soon to get a better feel for the Department.

You can find out more by going to our website http://www.templeterrace.com

01-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Thankyou very much for your help, its is much appreciated. I plan on taking a ride to the PD tomorrow and getting the neccessary paperwork for a ride along.

Thanks again!

01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
You ever notice when someone asks about positions, there is always one guy who quickly says go to TPD. It always happens take a look back. If you think you can make 10-20k more in your first year you are on a crack trip that just won't quit. we start and 41k

Another fallacy is that everyone first went to TPD then came here when they couldn't get on. thats not true. A great number never inquired to TPD because thats not what they wanted.

TPD will pay more eventually and since they are bigger they have more ability for resources, it is what you want in your career. Big or little make your choice but MR. TPD needs to give it a rest or go yourself.

01-29-2008, 05:13 AM
I would like to work for TTPD because i feel that by possibly working for a smaller department i would be able to get a little more involved in certain incidents instead of just passing them off to a specialized unit. If this statement it wrong i apologize in advance!:) Some people like the draw of large agencies with lots of different units, i personally like the sounds of working for a smaller agency, may give me a chance to learn about the community i would be serving a little more, dont know if that makes sense or not.