PDA

View Full Version : Cover-up?

01-15-2008, 10:34 AM
At least you guys in North Port do the right thing and saved the CCSO Deputies job. Plus, no ticket to the wife, WOW, i'm impressed.

Deputy's wife hits trailer
STAFF REPORT

NORTH PORT -- The wife of a Charlotte County sheriff's deputy caused $5,000 in damage to a neighbor's camper trailer in an accident early Sunday, according to North Port police.

Michelle Collins, 33, was driving in the 4000 block of Dakota Terrace at about 2:20 a.m. Sunday when she hit Laurie Ponte's camper trailer, causing an estimated $5,000 in damage, police said.

Collins' husband, Deputy Jack Collins, was a passenger in the car and had been drinking, according to North Port Capt. Robert Estrada.

Ponte initially feared she was the victim of a hit-and-run.

But North Port police said Collins went to her nearby home and immediately called to report the wreck.

Police found Michelle Collins to be at fault, but also noted that Ponte's camper was parked too far from the curb and facing against the flow of traffic.

No one was issued a ticket in the accident, with the police report citing fog as a contributing factor.

Contacted by telephone, Michelle Collins declined to comment.

01-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Did you read the story? The deputy was a passenger!

01-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Serious Question for the NPPD. If I, as a non LEO hit a parked vehicle then left the scene , drove home before I called it in, what would I be charged with, and what would the consenquence be?

01-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes, I did read the STORY just like everyone else did and what a great FICTION STORY it is.

You guys know dang well who was driving, which is exactly why HE LEFT THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT (against the law last I recall) drove home and thought about how Sig1 he'd get out of both a DUI and a leaving the scene charge. So, his wifey-poo takes the hit (no DUI) and NPPD covers the accident (caused by fog).

Guess North Port never writes a ticket where FOG is a contributing cause?

Give me another break!

Wasn't this a department car as well?

01-15-2008, 03:59 PM
FSS 316.061 Accidents involving damage to vehicle or property.

1. The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of such accident or as close thereto as possible, and shall forthwith return to, and in every event shall remain at the scene of the accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of s. 316.062. Any person failing to stop or comply with said requirements shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not more than $500 or by imprisonment for not more than 60 days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

01-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for responding... so the next serious question..... is the case closed? Or is the NPPD able to revisit this case and bring charges against this woman following the letter of the law?

01-15-2008, 04:55 PM
You are all morons!

01-15-2008, 06:57 PM
She went home, which is a few dorr down called the police to report. She fulfilled the letter of the law. As far as saying the Male was driving prove it, no witnesses. How many times does a person DUI crash, leave the scene and is located later, never even calling in the crash and not charged with DUI. All too often, why? Becasue you cant prove it, that is why and no SAO is going to pay for extrapilation on a trafic crash that does not involve serious bodily injury or death. So there is your answer, no cover is being done, just our job. I don't expect the civilian population to understand because they have no idea about anything we do or how it is done. Other LEO's should understand and if not they don't know their job very well.

01-15-2008, 07:13 PM
How the frack is he supposed to call it in if he didnt have a phone on him?!?!?!?!?

He wen a SHORT distance away to his home and IMMEDIATELY called it in.

That fits the statute to the letter of the law you ignorant moron.

01-15-2008, 09:22 PM
To all the idiots that have surmised this as a cover-up....go shovel your $hit somewhere else! Better yet, go read the National Star or the Enquirer. That's the type of reading suitable to your mentalities.

01-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Yes, I did read the STORY just like everyone else did and what a great FICTION STORY it is.

You guys know dang well who was driving, which is exactly why HE LEFT THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT (against the law last I recall) drove home and thought about how Sig1 he'd get out of both a DUI and a leaving the scene charge. So, his wifey-poo takes the hit (no DUI) and NPPD covers the accident (caused by fog).

Guess North Port never writes a ticket where FOG is a contributing cause?

Give me another break!

Wasn't this a department car as well? cool breeze you must be a moron that lives home with your mom get a life.

01-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Got to love the fictionous BS being told here.

Went home to call? Geeze, I'm the moron? First, who in today's society doesn't carry a cell phone, no less a deputy? GET BENT!

Secondly, are we forgetting this was a Charlotte County Sheriff Vehicle, with maybe a contraption called a POLICE RADIO? Oh, and wifey-poo was driving the Sheriff vehicle why? BECAUSE HER HUSBAND WAS DRUNK?

You all know what happened here and so do I. Trust me, we will read about this cover up in the Herald Tribune before long.

01-16-2008, 12:39 AM
That cool breeze is freezing what is left of his peanut sized brain!

01-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Gee, read the story...where does it say it was a Department vehicle. Another MORON has his say! Gotta love it!

01-16-2008, 01:22 AM
How the frack is he supposed to call it in if he didnt have a phone on him?!?!?!?!?

He wen a SHORT distance away to his home and IMMEDIATELY called it in.

That fits the statute to the letter of the law you ignorant moron.

no cell phone ?

with two of them in the car

yea right :roll:

01-16-2008, 01:27 AM
wait, I know they where to frikken drunk to dial 911

01-16-2008, 02:02 AM
It does smell of cover-up and the "raced home to call" does sound like a load of crap.

01-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Was it a department veh or not ?

guest45
01-16-2008, 04:38 PM
No it wasn't a dept. vehicle. It was their own.

01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
A bunch of faceless weasels making accusations against eachother or starting rumors just to start trouble....move on!!

01-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Serious Question for the NPPD. If I, as a non LEO hit a parked vehicle then left the scene , drove home before I called it in, what would I be charged with, and what would the consenquence be? Nothing ...............the accident was reported. Also, the leo was a passenger not the driver. I do believe the report also said no citations were issued so are you trying to say favoritism was in play?

01-19-2008, 03:36 PM
FSS 316.061 Accidents involving damage to vehicle or property.

1. The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of such accident or as close thereto as possible, and shall forthwith return to, and in every event shall remain at the scene of the accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of s. 316.062. Any person failing to stop or comply with said requirements shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not more than $500 or by imprisonment for not more than 60 days or by both such fine and imprisonment.What does 316.062 say?