PDA

View Full Version : Word of thanks

01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Just wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation to your Sheriff Ben Johnson and deputy Randy Post. I'm a retired agent of the Florida Div. of Alcoholic Beverages & Tobacco. I've been retired for 12 years now and after the federal law (HR 218) passed and was signed into law in 2004 by president Bush, I have followed the 3 year journey it took for the state of Florida to provide a path for retired law enforcement officers to qualify for national carry. I gave up on my agency (ABT) to provide this service to its retirees so a few months ago when I happened (by chance) to run into Sheriff Johnson I mentioned it to him and his response was "not a problem" and he instructed me to go out to Tiger Bay trainning facility and speak with the trainning personnel there. On Dec. 24, 2007 I met with Randy Post out at Tiger Bay and fired the qualification course pursuant to the requirements of HR 218. I was truly impressed with the professionalism, courtesy and respect that I received from Randy Post. Most impressive was his attention to detail and the focus he placed on safety issues associated with being engaged in a firearms qualification course. I did my best to follow his instructions and to not violate any range protocol. It would please me to know that these sentiments were made known to his immediate supervisor because in today’s climate it’s more frequent that complaints are made than compliments and once again, thanks To Sheriff Johnson and your trainning personnel for providing a service to a fellow officer.
Fred Dunbar

01-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the info FD. I plan to be retiring soon and will contact my local sheriff for the same type of assistance.

01-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Is this ABT's board or the sheriff' office....FD we did not care if you qualified when you sluffed off and worked part-time here let alone care if you are carrying now...go enjoy retirement

01-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Is this ABT's board or the sheriff' office....FD we did not care if you qualified when you sluffed off and worked part-time here let alone care if you are carrying now...go enjoy retirement

You're right, this is ABT's message board. The posting was an inadvertent mistake on my part which I truly regret. How would I have known that something thoughtful, considerate and appropriate in thanking a person or an agency for a favor would garner such negativity?

01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info FD. I plan to be retiring soon and will contact my local sheriff for the same type of assistance.

You're more than welcome. FDLE's web site has the latest update on this issue and the bottom line is that a retiree needs to have a firearms instructor certified by CJSTC sign off on the retiree having fired a passing score for the state's minimun qualification. Go to FDLE's web site and in the search area type HR218

01-15-2008, 01:59 PM

You're right, this is ABT's message board. The posting was an inadvertent mistake on my part which I truly regret. How would I have known that something thoughtful, considerate and appropriate in thanking a person or an agency for a favor would garner such negativity?

FD you have to excuse the ignorance of the a**holes of this agency. You see the mentality we have working for our agency. Glad you got qualified.

01-15-2008, 03:52 PM

FD you have to excuse the ignorance of the a**holes of this agency. You see the mentality we have working for our agency. Glad you got qualified.
Water off a duck's back. Probably someone I gave an "achieves standards" evaluation to that while sitting in a Lazy-Boy recliner was expecting an exceeds standards.

01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I am a retiring ABT agent and I went to Wynn Dixie and couldn't find the Depends. Then a stock boy named Stoney walked me over to isle 12 before I had a bad accident in my Wranglers. I put on a new pair right then and there. So thanks to all of you over there who helped me out. Thanks for this board, ABT.

01-16-2008, 01:16 AM

Water off a duck's back. Probably someone I gave an "achieves standards" evaluation to that while sitting in a Lazy-Boy recliner was expecting an exceeds standards.

So things have not change much afterall!