PDA

View Full Version : Why?

01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
The more that I read on this post the more it seems that only those Troopers who b*tch and moan post here. Rarely do I see anything positive. And for anyone to say there isn't anything positive is a flat out liar! With that in mind if you aren't happy leave for greener pastures and leave the discontent to the deputies, the police officers and civilians who post here because they have nothing better to do. Real Troopers would find a better source to change that which bothers them. Get on with your lives!

01-13-2008, 10:58 PM
The more that I read on this post the more it seems that only those Troopers who b*tch and moan post here. Rarely do I see anything positive. And for anyone to say there isn't anything positive is a flat out liar! With that in mind if you aren't happy leave for greener pastures and leave the discontent to the deputies, the police officers and civilians who post here because they have nothing better to do. Real Troopers would find a better source to change that which bothers them. Get on with your lives!

You are so right, it ia all the troopers from troop c, they cry more than my kids...they musy be very young to act the way they do.........

01-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok, how about you tell us what is so positive about FHP and what sets us apart from other state police/highway patrols?

We can print tickets in our cars is all I can think of. We have horrible supervisors, some of the worst training in the country, poor equipment, extremely low manpower per capita, and bottom of the barrel pay. If you are happy and content with that then maybe you shouldn't visit this site. Most of us aren't happy with it though and want to see some changes. If you think we should shut our mouths then you are part of the problem and are turning a blind eye to the problems that face this agency.

01-13-2008, 11:23 PM

You are so right, it ia all the troopers from troop c, they cry more than my kids...they musy be very young to act the way they do.........

It's not "ALL" the troopers in troop c, it's a hand full that likes to stir the pot, but they keep employment and cash the check each month. Then ***** on this site..

01-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Ok, how about you tell us what is so positive about FHP and what sets us apart from other state police/highway patrols?

We can print tickets in our cars is all I can think of. We have horrible supervisors, some of the worst training in the country, poor equipment, extremely low manpower per capita, and bottom of the barrel pay. If you are happy and content with that then maybe you shouldn't visit this site. Most of us aren't happy with it though and want to see some changes. If you think we should shut our mouths then you are part of the problem and are turning a blind eye to the problems that face this agency.

Maybe you should think about why you wanted to be a TROOPER in the first place. It's should be the job we do!! TROOPERS write tickets, work wrecks, take drugs and fugitives off the strreets, and help people that need help whatever it may be. We don't always have the best pay, equipment, or supervision, but we stand together and overcome.

I don't think we have bad equipment right now. Actually, I think we have some pretty good stuff. You're probably one of those guys that never can keep his car clean. The training is not bad either, just not enough of what we need and it looks like that might be changing.

Now the pay and the manpower, that's another story. You are definitely correct about that. The pay sucks and we need more people on the road. I don't know when that will change, if ever. This is completely in the hands of the legislature.

If you don't like where you're at then take the steps to improve. Don't blame it on others. If that means leaving the FHP then go, but for me I'm going to stay until the need to leave outweighs the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from being a TROOPER.

Bottom line is: You knew what you were getting into when you accepted employment. If you didn't, then you're an idiot. this job and your life is what you make of it.

KWITCHER*****IN!!!

01-14-2008, 01:39 AM

Maybe you should think about why you wanted to be a TROOPER in the first place. It's should be the job we do!! TROOPERS write tickets, work wrecks, take drugs and fugitives off the strreets, and help people that need help whatever it may be. We don't always have the best pay, equipment, or supervision, but we stand together and overcome.

I don't think we have bad equipment right now. Actually, I think we have some pretty good stuff. You're probably one of those guys that never can keep his car clean. The training is not bad either, just not enough of what we need and it looks like that might be changing.

Now the pay and the manpower, that's another story. You are definitely correct about that. The pay sucks and we need more people on the road. I don't know when that will change, if ever. This is completely in the hands of the legislature.

If you don't like where you're at then take the steps to improve. Don't blame it on others. If that means leaving the FHP then go, but for me I'm going to stay until the need to leave outweighs the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from being a TROOPER.

Bottom line is: You knew what you were getting into when you accepted employment. If you didn't, then you're an idiot. this job and your life is what you make of it.

KWITCHER*****IN!!!

All good points; however, I'll take a few different view points on this subject.

First of all, the training is good when you have it, but it's way to infrequent comparetively speaking to most other agencies. Second, this forum is a wonderful outlet for people to complain. You may not agree with what is said, and I'll agree that the negativity is overwhelming sometimes, but it makes for great debates. If you ever go to other forums/message boards the moderators are much tougher and are quick to ban people for what they say, but in this one you can pretty much lay all your cards on the table without any repercussions.

Last of all, I will have to say that the pay issue with FHP warrants every single negative response that has been posted on this forum since its beginning! There is absolutely no excuse for your piss poor pay!
Look, we all knew what we were getting into (pay) when we got hired. However, I believe most people don't plan 5-10 years down the road. When I was going through the hiring process, I was excited at the prospect of being a trooper despite of the low pay. But after a few years on the road with the paycheck never changing, you start to second guess your decision. I think that's what a lot of people in here are going through. I can attest that when I made the decision to leave, it was a big deal, but fortunately I was at a stage in my life to where I was able to do it. Some people, especially those who have a lot of years vested with this agency, may not have the ability, or support to make that jump.

Anyway, all of you troopers who bi#%h and moan in here have every right to, and I encourage it.

01-14-2008, 02:28 AM
All good points; however, I'll take a few different view points on this subject.

First of all, the training is good when you have it, but it's way to infrequent comparetively speaking to most other agencies. Second, this forum is a wonderful outlet for people to complain. You may not agree with what is said, and I'll agree that the negativity is overwhelming sometimes, but it makes for great debates. If you ever go to other forums/message boards the moderators are much tougher and are quick to ban people for what they say, but in this one you can pretty much lay all your cards on the table without any repercussions.

Last of all, I will have to say that the pay issue with FHP warrants every single negative response that has been posted on this forum since its beginning! There is absolutely no excuse for your piss poor pay!
Look, we all knew what we were getting into (pay) when we got hired. However, I believe most people don't plan 5-10 years down the road. When I was going through the hiring process, I was excited at the prospect of being a trooper despite of the low pay. But after a few years on the road with the paycheck never changing, you start to second guess your decision. I think that's what a lot of people in here are going through. I can attest that when I made the decision to leave, it was a big deal, but fortunately I was at a stage in my life to where I was able to do it. Some people, especially those who have a lot of years vested with this agency, may not have the ability, or support to make that jump.

Anyway, all of you troopers who bi#%h and moan in here have every right to, and I encourage it.[/quote]

My main point was that this job, being a TROOPER is what you make of it. You have to love what we do. We're not city police or deputies. You have to love being a TROOPER. A REAL TROOPER looks sharp, has a sharp looking patrol car, works hard, and does right.

Your LIFE is what you make of it. If your lifestyle requires a higher income than FHP provides, but you still love being a TROOPER then find something to supplement your income. That may be off-duty, side jobs, business ventures, or investments.

There is definitely room for improvement with many aspects of FHP, but there is a lot that can be said for the job. You're not confined to a small zone, your reports aren't usually due at end of shift, you take a 10-8 from the house, and most don't have to see their Sgt. everyday.

It's important that management is aware of your issues. It's also important that you continue to be a bug in the ear of legislators. But, I think you should evaluate yourself before pointing the finger at others.
I've found that the ones doing the most griping are the ones that have plenty of room for improvement.

Be Safe, Be Strong!!

01-14-2008, 06:42 AM
My main point was that this job, being a TROOPER is what you make of it. You have to love what we do. We're not city police or deputies. You have to love being a TROOPER. A REAL TROOPER looks sharp, has a sharp looking patrol car, works hard, and does right.

Your LIFE is what you make of it. If your lifestyle requires a higher income than FHP provides, but you still love being a TROOPER then find something to supplement your income. That may be off-duty, side jobs, business ventures, or investments.

There is definitely room for improvement with many aspects of FHP, but there is a lot that can be said for the job. You're not confined to a small zone, your reports aren't usually due at end of shift, you take a 10-8 from the house, and most don't have to see their Sgt. everyday.

It's important that management is aware of your issues. It's also important that you continue to be a bug in the ear of legislators. But, I think you should evaluate yourself before pointing the finger at others.
I've found that the ones doing the most griping are the ones that have plenty of room for improvement.

Be Safe, Be Strong!![/quote]
__________________________________________________ ___________

This job (FHP speaking) isn't "what you make it". Im soooo tired of people saying that. When there are five people on the road in an area of over 2 million people how can you make this job anything besides 10-65ing? This job is WHAT YOU EXPECT FROM IT. If you expect to write a few tickets, work crashes, and get people gas then you will love this job. If you expect to take down reckless drivers and drug runners with your coworkers by your side then you will be sadly disappointed. Im sure you didn't know everything about this job when you took it either, such as the extremely low manpower, the moronic supervisors, the crap radios, being 66'd from a chase when the driver tries to RUN YOU DOWN, and the piss poor training to name a few. If you think we have good training you need to crawl out of your box and visit some real LE agencies. Standing in one place and shooting a paper target is not "good" training my friend. How many times with FHP have you shot out of cars, shot into cars, moved while shooting, and performed other types of combat shooting? Exactly what is our good equipment? Our 10 year old Berettas? Our fully marked, slow crown vics? Our 4 shot bird guns? My 10 year old radar and lack of a laser? Oh but I forgot, we can print tickets in our cars...whoopie!

The positive stuff you mention about FHP is no different from any other state police or highway patrol. You can't compare this job to a city or county cop. We must compare FHP to other state agencies in the U.S. and when you do that this agency is at the bottom. That being said, whose lifestyle doesn't require more income than this job allows for? If you think working 40 hours a week and putting your life on the line for $3,000 a month is ok then Im sorry to say you have problems. I cant even afford to buy a house where I live!!!!! That is 100% wrong. Think of it this way. There are about 30 other states in the country that pay their troopers at least $10,000 more a year after 5 years of experience than FHP does. How would you like to be doing the same job you are doing now, if not less, and be making $4,000 - $5,000 a month? The pay and the manpower are reasons enough to hate this agency and leave. The manpower is a major officer safety factor and may get you killed or seriously hurt sometime. The reason you love this place so much is because you are blind. Get out there and experience some other agencies and I PROMISE you will never look back at FHP.

I love being a trooper, but I hate FHP!!

HPK91
01-14-2008, 08:25 AM
You clock in from your driveway. You clock out at your driveway. You are given a car and a gas card. You are given all the equipment you could want - other than an AR, but how many times have you gotten your shotgun out? You are dispatched to crashes, an occasional S76. You can decide if you want to go write tickets or go hang out at the 7Eleven. If you are unfortunate enough to work in an area of nothing but 10-65 S4 all day, then transfer. You'll be much happier. If you have a terrible supervisor, then transfer. You eat lunch or dinner (or both) on the clock. You have a/c. You have a stereo - you can even hook up your XM or Sirius or replace it with a CD player. How many miles do you have on your car?

Now picture yourself in another job. Let's say SO or PD. You may have a take home car. You must be in your little zone when you take a 10-8. Don't leave your little square - no matter what. Some places you must be at the station for briefing. Not in your house in your briefs. You want to complain about 10-65 S4 all day? How about 10-65 S22 all day. Yeah, it's real glamorous at the SO and PD. I know several people that left FHP for an SO and guess what - they still complain, complain, complain. Yeah, they might have a base salary of $39K but that's it. No OT. 208 is rare and pays around $25 an hour. You can't compare us with other state police or highway patrol. You have to look at the State of Florida. No one in FL State Government is getting a raise. It doesn't matter what California makes.

The pay we get from the State is terrible. I believe it's always been that way. I wouldn't expect it to change. BUT - you can work OT or 208. That's right - instead of going home at the end of your shift to sit on the couch and watch t.v. - you can sit beside the highway with your lights flashing and watch a DVD and make $35 - $50 per hour. Now your salary is somewhere between $60K and $80K a year (unless you're south of Palm Beach and make $100K).

Now did you really work that hard? If you did, then you're doing something wrong. This isn't a difficult job, but some people have a tendency to make it that way.

Do I want a raise? Of'course, who doesn't? I truly believe we should be somewhere at $500 per year of service - with a starting salary of $38K.

BUT - instead of complaining about it all the time, be thankful you're not driving 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening (on YOUR time in YOUR car paying over $3 per gallon for YOUR gas) going to and from some boring job.

Training - our agency has the best initial training in the State but it doesn't go on from there. I believe we are moving in the right direction and will see more training. But don't leave it up to the agency. You should attempt to take classes offered by local colleges in your area. You should be able to find somewhere local to do additional firearms training. I'm certain you could find a local PD or SO that has a range. I know we should have our own but deal with it. Make some friends and work something out.

This job is what you make of it. Don't get caught up in the pay or equipment issues. There's no amount of money out there worth any of our lives that we put on the line everyday. But we don't do it for the money anyway do we?

01-14-2008, 08:51 AM

Be Safe, Be Strong!!
__________________________________________________ ___________

This job (FHP speaking) isn't "what you make it". Im soooo tired of people saying that. When there are five people on the road in an area of over 2 million people how can you make this job anything besides 10-65ing? This job is WHAT YOU EXPECT FROM IT. If you expect to write a few tickets, work crashes, and get people gas then you will love this job. If you expect to take down reckless drivers and drug runners with your coworkers by your side then you will be sadly disappointed. Im sure you didn't know everything about this job when you took it either, such as the extremely low manpower, the moronic supervisors, the crap radios, being 66'd from a chase when the driver tries to RUN YOU DOWN, and the piss poor training to name a few. If you think we have good training you need to crawl out of your box and visit some real LE agencies. Standing in one place and shooting a paper target is not "good" training my friend. How many times with FHP have you shot out of cars, shot into cars, moved while shooting, and performed other types of combat shooting? Exactly what is our good equipment? Our 10 year old Berettas? Our fully marked, slow crown vics? Our 4 shot bird guns? My 10 year old radar and lack of a laser? Oh but I forgot, we can print tickets in our cars...whoopie!

The positive stuff you mention about FHP is no different from any other state police or highway patrol. You can't compare this job to a city or county cop. We must compare FHP to other state agencies in the U.S. and when you do that this agency is at the bottom. That being said, whose lifestyle doesn't require more income than this job allows for? If you think working 40 hours a week and putting your life on the line for $3,000 a month is ok then Im sorry to say you have problems. I cant even afford to buy a house where I live!!!!! That is 100% wrong. Think of it this way. There are about 30 other states in the country that pay their troopers at least $10,000 more a year after 5 years of experience than FHP does. How would you like to be doing the same job you are doing now, if not less, and be making $4,000 - $5,000 a month? The pay and the manpower are reasons enough to hate this agency and leave. The manpower is a major officer safety factor and may get you killed or seriously hurt sometime. The reason you love this place so much is because you are blind. Get out there and experience some other agencies and I PROMISE you will never look back at FHP.

I love being a trooper, but I hate FHP!![/quote]

So why has no other agency hired you yet?

01-14-2008, 04:11 PM
You clock in from your driveway. You clock out at your driveway. You are given a car and a gas card. You are given all the equipment you could want - other than an AR, but how many times have you gotten your shotgun out? You are dispatched to crashes, an occasional S76. You can decide if you want to go write tickets or go hang out at the 7Eleven. If you are unfortunate enough to work in an area of nothing but 10-65 S4 all day, then transfer. You'll be much happier. If you have a terrible supervisor, then transfer. You eat lunch or dinner (or both) on the clock. You have a/c. You have a stereo - you can even hook up your XM or Sirius or replace it with a CD player. How many miles do you have on your car?

Now picture yourself in another job. Let's say SO or PD. You may have a take home car. You must be in your little zone when you take a 10-8. Don't leave your little square - no matter what. Some places you must be at the station for briefing. Not in your house in your briefs. You want to complain about 10-65 S4 all day? How about 10-65 S22 all day. Yeah, it's real glamorous at the SO and PD. I know several people that left FHP for an SO and guess what - they still complain, complain, complain. Yeah, they might have a base salary of $39K but that's it. No OT. 208 is rare and pays around $25 an hour. You can't compare us with other state police or highway patrol. You have to look at the State of Florida. No one in FL State Government is getting a raise. It doesn't matter what California makes.

The pay we get from the State is terrible. I believe it's always been that way. I wouldn't expect it to change. BUT - you can work OT or 208. That's right - instead of going home at the end of your shift to sit on the couch and watch t.v. - you can sit beside the highway with your lights flashing and watch a DVD and make $35 - $50 per hour. Now your salary is somewhere between $60K and $80K a year (unless you're south of Palm Beach and make $100K).

Now did you really work that hard? If you did, then you're doing something wrong. This isn't a difficult job, but some people have a tendency to make it that way.

Do I want a raise? Of'course, who doesn't? I truly believe we should be somewhere at $500 per year of service - with a starting salary of $38K.

BUT - instead of complaining about it all the time, be thankful you're not driving 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening (on YOUR time in YOUR car paying over $3 per gallon for YOUR gas) going to and from some boring job.

Training - our agency has the best initial training in the State but it doesn't go on from there. I believe we are moving in the right direction and will see more training. But don't leave it up to the agency. You should attempt to take classes offered by local colleges in your area. You should be able to find somewhere local to do additional firearms training. I'm certain you could find a local PD or SO that has a range. I know we should have our own but deal with it. Make some friends and work something out.

This job is what you make of it. Don't get caught up in the pay or equipment issues. There's no amount of money out there worth any of our lives that we put on the line everyday. But we don't do it for the money anyway do we?

If you can turn a 34K base into 60k-80K, thats awesome! Capitalism at its best!

01-14-2008, 08:10 PM
"So why has no other agency hired you yet?"

__________________________________________________ _______

Because getting a real LE job at a REAL LE agency takes time. I was hired in 6 months by FHP, which should have been a warning sign. Most real agencies take over a year and many federal agencies take 2-3 years.

HPK91:

I now know why this agency is so pitiful when I read some of the posts you guys write. Some of you have seriously never made it out of Levy County or some other backwoods area I can bet. If you think FHP is giving you all the equipment you could want then wow!!! You have some serious learning to do about LE.

Why should I have to go to some college to get the training I should be receiving at my place of employment? I can't believe you guys are so diluted to say such a thing. FHP is raping us!! Are you blind? They give us nothing and expect everything! If we want something we REALLY NEED then we must buy it ourselves if we are even "lucky" enough to do that. This agency will always be in the sewers until you clouded thinkers get with the times and stop letting FHP and the state sour your thinking. The pay, manpower, and equipment are MAJOR issues. How in God's name can I "not get caught up" in it? If you think a marked patrol car with a radar and having pepper spray on your side is good equipment then more power to you. If we are not given more money or manpower then why not give us better equipment such as fast unmarked patrol cars, widely available lasers, tasers, etc?

You explained NOTHING in your post that I can't recieve from 99% of other state trooper agencies. Clocking in and out in my driveway means nothing because I can do that at virtually any state agency in the country. Have you thought maybe some of us want more than just writing a few tickets and working crashes? I would love to work side by side with other troopers while searching cars and getting into some real crime. Sadly I can't when they are 20 miles away or we are always getting called away for crashes because we have half the manpower we should.

Why can't you compare us to other state agencies around the country? Are they not doing the same job as us? You can't compare a PD or SO to us because they do not do the same job. I have friends at other state agencies across the country and they laugh when I tell them about FHP. Some of them have actually worked here and can't believe how FHP is operated. You guys seriously do not realize what a joke this place is! These other troopers have training several times a year. They are given places to shoot monthly and ammo to use free of charge. They train on a regular basis in driving tactics and the PIT even though they may never use it, plus they are making $60,000 a year for 40 HOUR WEEKS. If you guys think it is great working 60 hours a week then Im sorry, but some of us want a LIFE!

Installing XM on your radio is not a valid point because it violates policy. I can't tell you guys to not like your job, but for heaven's sake don't act like every thing is peachy here either and there are few problems. This agency has some serious issues and we need to band together to work them out.

01-15-2008, 03:15 AM
As a former Trooper I am not surprised by HPK91’s comments. You go on this publicly open forum and tell the world about how little you work and how easy it is, and then you have the audacity to ask for a raise. You tell people how you take a 10-8 and a 10-7 from your driveway in your briefs. How you eat, sometimes two times a day on-duty, and hang out at the 7-11. You talk about how you have such an easy job and then you ask for $500 for every year of service you have and a higher starting salary. What a joke. I truly hope that you are not in K-9 at FHP, but it would not surprise me if you are. It is people like you that make FHP the laughing stock that it is to every other law enforcement agency in this State. It is the hard working dedicated Trooper who is out there doing his job that you slap in the face with your unprofessional and juvenile comments. You HPK91 are part of the problem. You are obviously on some type of ego trip and live through your status as a Trooper. You have no moral or ethical standards to speak of and as far as I can see you are making more money than you should. If I were you, after reading what your work ethic is, I would be embarrassed to even collect my pay each month regardless of how much or little it might be. In fact it sounds like it constitutes borderline theft on your part. What a joke!

01-15-2008, 03:21 AM
Doctor Phil ! Is that you?

01-15-2008, 04:59 AM
"So why has no other agency hired you yet?"

__________________________________________________ _______

Because getting a real LE job at a REAL LE agency takes time. I was hired in 6 months by FHP, which should have been a warning sign. Most real agencies take over a year and many federal agencies take 2-3 years.

HPK91:

I now know why this agency is so pitiful when I read some of the posts you guys write. Some of you have seriously never made it out of Levy County or some other backwoods area I can bet. If you think FHP is giving you all the equipment you could want then wow!!! You have some serious learning to do about LE.

Why should I have to go to some college to get the training I should be receiving at my place of employment? I can't believe you guys are so diluted to say such a thing. FHP is raping us!! Are you blind? They give us nothing and expect everything! If we want something we REALLY NEED then we must buy it ourselves if we are even "lucky" enough to do that. This agency will always be in the sewers until you clouded thinkers get with the times and stop letting FHP and the state sour your thinking. The pay, manpower, and equipment are MAJOR issues. How in God's name can I "not get caught up" in it? If you think a marked patrol car with a radar and having pepper spray on your side is good equipment then more power to you. If we are not given more money or manpower then why not give us better equipment such as fast unmarked patrol cars, widely available lasers, tasers, etc?

You explained NOTHING in your post that I can't recieve from 99% of other state trooper agencies. Clocking in and out in my driveway means nothing because I can do that at virtually any state agency in the country. Have you thought maybe some of us want more than just writing a few tickets and working crashes? I would love to work side by side with other troopers while searching cars and getting into some real crime. Sadly I can't when they are 20 miles away or we are always getting called away for crashes because we have half the manpower we should.

Why can't you compare us to other state agencies around the country? Are they not doing the same job as us? You can't compare a PD or SO to us because they do not do the same job. I have friends at other state agencies across the country and they laugh when I tell them about FHP. Some of them have actually worked here and can't believe how FHP is operated. You guys seriously do not realize what a joke this place is! These other troopers have training several times a year. They are given places to shoot monthly and ammo to use free of charge. They train on a regular basis in driving tactics and the PIT even though they may never use it, plus they are making $60,000 a year for 40 HOUR WEEKS. If you guys think it is great working 60 hours a week then Im sorry, but some of us want a LIFE!

Installing XM on your radio is not a valid point because it violates policy. I can't tell you guys to not like your job, but for heaven's sake don't act like every thing is peachy here either and there are few problems. This agency has some serious issues and we need to band together to work them out.

If you are as good as you think, some agency would have picked you up already. How did we slip up and hire you?

HPK91
01-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Okay - so I over simplified. The point of this thread was that there sure are a lot of people on here who would complain if you gave them a $20K per year raise, a Hummer with automatic weapons sticking out of the top, and two tasers strapped to their side.

The point I was trying to make is that it's not THAT BAD to work for FHP. And no, I don't live in some small rural part of the State where there's only 3 or 4 crashes per month. There are problems everywhere. Stop whining and complaining on some message board.

And to Former Trooper: I'm not about to stoop to your level and attack a perfect strangers work ethics or morals. Don't make this personal. I've busted my rear-end for FHP from the time I had a zip-code for an ID. I still give it my all. I've never taken a 10-8 in my briefs and don't recommend it. However, unless you choose to live outside of your county of assignment - you clock in and out from your driveway - well within policy. And No, I didn't say that I eat two times per shift on duty nor hang out at the 7Eleven. The point I was making is that there is no supervisor in your ear every five minutes asking what you are doing. Maybe you should revisit reading comprehension. The theme was "freedom".

Part of the problem? Nope. I'm part of the solution - if FHP is so bad and you can't transfer to a better shift/squad/district then by all means do us a favor and leave. We'll take you back when you find out the grass ain't greener on the other side. Now who has an ego?

01-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Dear HPK91;

Nobody is trying to make this personal and if you are taking it as such then you need to relax. As far as my reading comprehension goes I will clarify just what you wrote by cutting and pasting your exact words.

• “You clock in from your driveway. You clock out at your driveway”.
• “You can decide if you want to go write tickets or go hang out at the 7Eleven”.
• “You eat lunch or dinner (or both) on the clock”.
• “Some places you must be at the station for briefing. Not in your house in your briefs”.
• “Now did you really work that hard? If you did, then you're doing something wrong. This isn't a difficult job, but some people have a tendency to make it that way”.
• “Do I want a raise? Of’ course, who doesn't? I truly believe we should be somewhere at $500 per year of service - with a starting salary of $38K”.

So let me get this straight. You clock in from your driveway and crank up the AC and satellite radio while making the first decision of the day, and that is to either go write tickets or hang out at the 7-11. After doing this you then go eat your first meal of the day, on the clock. After that? I guess you start thinking about where meal number two will be, after all with your salary it must be F ree or H alf P rice right, but hey you don’t have a family so you are dealing with it because you are a Trooper and sacrifice is your middle name. Then you want a raise, because after all look how easy your job is.
That to me sounds like a poor work ethic. I never accused you of violating policy. I accused you of coming onto a completely open message board where everybody and their brother can read what you post, including civilians, and running your mouth. How you could expect to get a raise after telling everybody how easy your job is, and how little you do is ridiculous. To me it sounds like you are paid what you are worth.
While you may not think that you are the problem you most certainly are. It is people like you that have probably been around for all of two or three years who think that you know all there is to know. Your comments would not be surprising from a 20 year veteran, but I am fairly certain that you have quite a bit less time on than that. It is your ego that is inflated not mine and it is evident in your post. You are at FHP because your whole personality is comprised of where you work not who you are. Take away your position at FHP and you become nothing more than a scared little kid. You can bash PD’s and SO’s all you want the truth of the matter is you would never take such a job because you couldn’t handle it, and you all but admit that in you post. As far as you letting me come back to FHP when I find that the grass is not greener, sorry but it’s been over 16 years now and I seriously doubt that I will be returning anytime soon, I simply could not afford the $45,000 pay cut.

01-15-2008, 10:21 PM

As I See it
1) You might have crappy supervisors, I don't
2) I make an effort to improve my training apparently you don't
3) My district is at its all time low at 85% manpower strength
4) I agree with the equipment issue
5) I also agree with the pay issue
Reference #1-3 above I say transfer if you aren't happy, I did.
Reference #4 I hope you have been emailing the Colonel and Director Bustle, I do
Reference #5 I hope you have been emailing your State Legislators, I do
The squeeky wheel does get noticed but you have to get the attention of the appropriate person(s). Stop hiding behind your anonymous username and make your move or move on. This website is not the appropriate venue.

HPK91
01-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Dear Former Trooper from 16 years ago. I'm glad that you miss FHP so much that you must come over to the FHP message board and pick apart current troopers posts. I never bash local or federal agencies. I have an extensive family history in local, county and State law enforcement. I'm certain you've done well where ever you went if you're making $80K per year base salary. Are you a road deputy, police officer, special agent or are you now a supervisor? Perhaps if you'd stayed with FHP you might be our Colonel and you could fix all the problems you say we have. After all I'm sure you know all about our problems since you've been gone for 16 years.

I admit I shouldn't have posted some of my comments being that this is a public forum. This will most likely be my last post in the public forum section and I will only participate in the LEO only forum. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I know I don't "know all there is to know". Yes, I have a family. No, I'm not a rookie. And I eat wherever I want regardless of the price. I don't pretend I'm better than you just because I'm a State Trooper. I do take pride in being a State Trooper but I don't look down my nose at anyone. I'm not scared of working for a local agency. I just prefer not to. I have no desire to deal with Mr. and Mrs. Jones who get drunk and start fighting. I don't want to deal with little Johnny down the street who keeps lighting fireworks and making the neighbors dogs upset. I mean no disrespect to anyone who does that type of work. Some people like that. I don't.

As far as the eating, 7Eleven, etc that you keep referring to; again it's about freedom. Just because you can do that with your time doesn't mean you have to or that I think you should do nothing all day.

About the pay - yes, we deserve longevity pay. I don't care where you work or what type of job you do, if you stay with the same company you should receive some type of raise each year. It's called retention. You pay me more so that you don't have to keep hiring and training new people. I never suggested we needed a pay raise because of our work load or job duites.

I'm glad that you are happy with your job. I would hope that if someone starts attacking your chosen profession and employer that you would be the first one to admit to there being some problems, but that it could be a lot worse. You may even list some of the positives.

01-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Doctor Phil ! Is that you?

:lol: Now thats funny right there ya'll . . .