PDA

View Full Version : From a distance

01-09-2008, 03:23 AM
I’ve followed this site for several weeks now mainly out of curiosity and have found it entertaining. While some contributors do so with meaningful dialogue others do so with concern and uncertainty. Some with disrespect and contempt. I will offer a perspective from information gleened from your postings.

References have been made using the term “real police.” I would respond by pointing out to you that you are NOT the police, you are Investigators. Investigators that have arrest powers and the authority to present before an administrative tribunal a case against a businesses’ license that could have severe consequence. A uniformed officer riding around in a marked patrol unit cannot do that. A ranking officer of the Sheriff’s department SWAT team cannot do that.References are also made regarding the “industry.” Well, guess what? The manufacture, sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages have always been an industry even when during prohibition these activities were illegal. Even then it was “regulated” and if ever there was an industry that needed regulation it is the beverage industry. Back in those times it was regulated by Al Capone and organized crime. Today’s regulation is of course tame by comparison. I will reference a quote now from a learned jurist, Judge Learned Hand (1872 – 1961)

“A society in which men recognize no
check upon their freedom soon becomes
a society where freedom is the possession
of only a savage few.”

Apply this wisdom to an unregulated beverage industry today and what would you have? No Mom and Pops, no Outbacks, no Red Lobsters and no convenience stores. Whatever you would have it would be owned and controlled by the manufactures and least we not forget, you would have no job. Some of you think that the “locals” can do the job that you do but local politics won’t ever allow that to happen. Yeah, you have politics in your agency but who among you have ever been told not to mess with “that guy.” No one and you never will be told that. If you’re ever told not to enforce the law tell the person telling you that to put it in writing. Ain’t gonna happen. For those of you that are in this for the long haul I say hang in there and give it your best. As an agent you have the best position in the entire agency. Those people at the top come and go with time. Try to think back ten years and their names are but a blur. There will always be whinners, slackers and nay sayers. It’s the nature of the beast but you don’t have to be a part of that. I remember agents whose work ethic and abilities ranked superior to any I encountered throughout my career as a law enforcement officer. If you were a criminal there was no place for you to hide from these individuals. They would root you out of the deepest hole. There are people like that among you now. Be like them, learn from them and pass these talents on to the newcomer. I wish you well on the journey to retirement.

01-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Fine job!!! I like it.

01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Nice, sounds good to me. I love my job, it is the best one going in the state as far as I am concerned. 8) We got it made !!!

01-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Except when local and state politicians hold licenses. You know damn well you better leave them alone. Sure, you CAN file an admin against them, but we all know its going to go away and you will be on the bad radar.

02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Except when local and state politicians hold licenses. You know darn well you better leave them alone. Sure, you CAN file an admin against them, but we all know its going to go away and you will be on the bad radar. Don't let it get to you. I learned along
time ago it is just a bunch of baloney. Have fun and take advantage of the job. I am in the DROP and am having a good ole time!!!! I stopped pretending long ago. It did wonders for my sanity.

02-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Way to go Swamp Rabbit

02-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Way to go Swamp Rabbit

"Swamp Rabbit" That goes back many years if you are the one I'm thinking of. Not too many people called me that.

02-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Except when local and state politicians hold licenses. You know darn well you better leave them alone. Sure, you CAN file an admin against them, but we all know its going to go away and you will be on the bad radar. Don't let it get to you. I learned along
time ago it is just a bunch of baloney. Have fun and take advantage of the job. I am in the DROP and am having a good ole time!!!! I stopped pretending long ago. It did wonders for my sanity.

AMEN. Take advatage of this job and make it work for you. There are definitely more positives than negatives with this job.

02-13-2008, 01:54 AM

AMEN. Take advatage of this job and make it work for you. There are definitely more positives than negatives with this job.

A wise old "Beverage Agent" was fond of saying - "Boys, you have to make this job work for you." It was true in 1976 and it is true today.

02-16-2008, 01:49 AM
:D