PDA

View Full Version : Say it aint so.......

12-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Pensacola News Journal
Arrest follows squirrelly story
Man taken into custody in connection with hit-and-run

Jamie Page
jepage@pnj.com

Strangely enough, a squirrel is to blame for a quiet Midway neighborhood being awakened Thursday to cop cars and an armed SWAT team.

That's what a Florida Highway Patrol trooper's response to a routine hit-and-run accident escalated into.

Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Scott Haines said Jeremiah Harrold Hatcher, who was inside his house on Hickory Shores Boulevard, was approached by an FHP officer about a hit-and-run off Catawba Drive behind Hatcher's house.

But police say Hatcher would not respond or answer the door.

Just as the trooper approached the house, an electrical transformer blew out, an explosion caused by a squirrel, which was electrocuted. The trooper thought it was a gunshot and called in the Santa Rosa County Sheriff's SWAT team, Haines said.

Negotiators were not able to make phone contact with Hatcher, so the SWAT team entered through the front door, which had been left open. Hatcher was taken into custody without incident and transported to Santa Rosa County Jail. His bond was set at $900.

No one was injured in the incident.

Hatcher, 22, was arrested and charged with leaving the scene of an accident with property damage.

Geraldine Lamb, who lives on Catawba Drive behind the home where Hatcher was arrested, said sometime during early morning hours a silver car struck her husband's pickup, which was sitting in front of her home.

The silver car sat near Hatcher's house. Damage to the car matched impact damage to the pickup and tire tracks in the dirt led from the pickup to the car.

So her husband, Mitch Lamb, reported the incident to authorities.

"They do speed through here a lot. I have asked them to slow down before," Geraldine Lamb said.

Hatcher was in his residence, which is behind his parents' Hickory Shores home, when troopers arrived. Hatcher's parents were out of town, neighbors said.

Hatcher uses the dirt road beside the Lambs' home to access the back of his parents' property, Lamb said.

A neighbor, Harry Buckles, was walking his dog about 7 a.m. when the FHP arrived at the house in the 4300 block of Hickory Shores Boulevard. A moment later, he heard the loud noise and thought it was a gun blast.

"I thought it was a shotgun," said Buckles, who was taking his morning walk at the time. "I got out of there. FHP was in the driveway, which kind of surprised me because you never see the Highway Patrol in this neighborhood, especially at this time of morning. By the time I got back home I could hear sirens, then (police) just kept piling up."

12-29-2007, 01:03 PM
By posting this are you trying to say the trooper did wrong? I think so as you titled this, "Say it isn’t so."

If that was your motivation, then let me ask you a question. What would you have done if you were in the same situation, i.e., at a hit-n-run driver’s house, you knock on door, and then contemporaneous to your knock there is what sounds like a shotgun blast coming from inside the residence?

If you said, "I would take a 10-98" That would be the most incorrect answer. I would take several minutes and explain to you why it would be incorrect on many different levels, but I first would like to hear your response to the two earlier questions to propounded upon you.

12-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Exactly...what was he going to do? Take a 10-98 and then, with bad luck, they find him dead 2 weeks later and then he is going to have to say OHHH yeah, I was at the house, there was a sound that I thought could have been a gun and then I took a 10-98. That would have been a very good news article. This trooper was in a pickle and he did the correct thing. No quesition.

12-29-2007, 05:26 PM
How does one hear an exploding transformer and a fried squirl with a gun shot? I mean really! How long has this, so called trooper, been on? sounds like a rookie mistake, but in the end i guess he did get his man. Talk about stretching out a story....

12-29-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm so sure the fried squirral just landed 5 feet away from the Trooper and he just failed to see it. The Trooper did the right thing. Better safe than sorry.

12-29-2007, 06:32 PM
How does one hear an exploding transformer and a fried squirl with a gun shot? I mean really! How long has this, so called trooper, been on? sounds like a rookie mistake, but in the end i guess he did get his man. Talk about stretching out a story....

Above is a real pro speaking...Is everyone listening?
This guy has had plenty of situations with numerous
shots fired incidents. So obviously he has plenty of experience to call
the trooper an idiot, or imply he was an idiot.

Tell me you have really never been in a situation where a car backfiring or even the sonic boom of the shuttle coming in didn't make you jump and cover?

The original post sounds like someone with John Wayne syndrome
blowing his own horn. But thats my humble opinion.

12-29-2007, 06:58 PM
if he called shots fired for an exploding transformer, the shuttle sonic boom might be classified as a WMD. Call out SWAT, TRT, Alpha Bravo for everyonr, set up the command post, etc.......

I agree, sounds like someone blowing their own horn....

give it up bro

12-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Did you read the story? If you did you would have read that a neighbor who heard the explosion alsl thought that it was a gunshot. Ohhhh, let me quess, he is an idiot also.

I know your type. You have an negative opinion for everything until it is your a** on the line. At that point: you think of yourself as a hero...

12-30-2007, 02:00 AM
I was in Miami for the 1980 riots. Our very first night our squad was called upon to assist some Metro-Dade Police Officers that were pinned in under fire by a sniper in an apartment building.

We were able to set up a perimeter forcing the shooter to back off. We got the deputies and their car out of the hot area.

I will also tell you that a decision was made by the FHP Colonel and the Director of the Metro-Dade Police Department to back out of the area. Yeah we were kind of upset, but they did not want to inflame an already volatile situation in Miami (Liberty City). There was a lot of second guessing going on, as well as a few derogatory statements regarding their decision.

I had 3 years on at the time and it was the first time I had ever been shot at. I was scared to death.

We returned to our secure post to wait for the next call. We heard a shot fired from across the street. Everyone hit the deck, then jumped into our cars and formed up behind the strip mall to search for the shooter. There were officers from other agencies that also arrived on the scene.

We found it too was a transformer that blew, but it did sound like someone shooting. The point is when you are not expecting to hear it; the first thing that comes to mind is someone is shooting.

Better to be safe, then to be sorry. Oh yeah, there were numerous police officers from several agencies present, many with over 10 years experience.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

12-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Captain Succi do you ever check out officer.com forums? Also I am interested in becoming a Trooper but I would like to ask you some questions. Can you be reached through email or something?

In case others are thinking I am not joining for the salary I am joining because this is what I want to do. I already have a business that I am running that already takes care of home. So please understand State Troopering will not be my only income.

12-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Go for it Dude. FHP is a great Agency to work for. The pay ain't so bad. You are given great equipment and you have alot of freedom. Talk to the Capt., he tells it like it is!

12-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Email: Succi.Jeffrey@hsmv.state.fl.us

Office: 352-732-1260 ext. 222

Call anytime. If I'm not there ask for my State cell phone number.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi
( 4 - 0 - 1 )

01-01-2008, 12:24 AM
I was in Miami for the 1980 riots. Our very first night our squad was called upon to assist some Metro-Dade Police Officers that were pinned in under fire by a sniper in an apartment building.

We were able to set up a perimeter forcing the shooter to back off. We got the deputies and their car out of the hot area.

I will also tell you that a decision was made by the FHP Colonel and the Director of the Metro-Dade Police Department to back out of the area. Yeah we were kind of upset, but they did not want to inflame an already volatile situation in Miami (Liberty City). There was a lot of second guessing going on, as well as a few derogatory statements regarding their decision.

I had 3 years on at the time and it was the first time I had ever been shot at. I was scared to death.

We returned to our secure post to wait for the next call. We heard a shot fired from across the street. Everyone hit the deck, then jumped into our cars and formed up behind the strip mall to search for the shooter. There were officers from other agencies that also arrived on the scene.

We found it too was a transformer that blew, but it did sound like someone shooting. The point is when you are not expecting to hear it; the first thing that comes to mind is someone is shooting.

Better to be safe, then to be sorry. Oh yeah, there were numerous police officers from several agencies present, many with over 10 years experience.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi My Mule "Jose" and me were also in the Miami Riots in the 80's. Jose and me were down the street from the Captain, after the sniper incident, I heard a second verry loud bang, I grabbed my Sombrero, and hid behind some trooper cars. Moments later I noticed my Mule Jose had cheated all over my saddle.

It was a verry scarry moment for Jose and me!