PDA

View Full Version : Supervisors who worked (?) during Xmas

12-28-2007, 04:10 AM
What was all this fuss about which supervisors worked the shifts during the xmas weekend? Tally wanted a list with names and which shifts they worked.

Then is the issue with the hats. Lieutenants and above have to wear their hats when 10-50, working an incident, etc. This is supposed to have an effect... :shock: ? on the lower ranks, and immediately compel them to do the same! Therefore, we will present a sharp and professional appearance to the general public, who will send compliments to all those concerned about our looks.

Well, let me just say this. It seems like FHP policy now follows the steps of whatever postings are found here. Common sense will tell you that the changes requested by HQ comes from earlier postings from Troop C (supervisor staffing), and others who complained about how bad we look without hats!

In conclusion, since this seems to be the new trend, all of you who are regulars here need to keep the pressure going. Maybe if the postings have enough "hits," a new policy will come to light!

So, continue bringing the issues...what is the "B!itch du jour" for today? :shock:

12-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Personally, I do not think wearing the hats should be mandatory. I think it is a SEVERE officer safety issue. The last issue you need to be concerned with when stopping a car is grabbing for your hat and making sure it is properly arranged. I believe the hat blocks some of your vision when you look down for a moment. Also, 99% of the public think the hats look rediculous.

12-28-2007, 06:35 AM
RIGHT ON DUDE. ! NO MANDATORY HATS !
MY HAT IS UN-COMFORTABLE AND IS AN OFFICER SAFETY ISSUE IF I WERE TO PUT IT ON AT EVERY 10-50. LEAVE THE POLICY ALONE.

12-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey Cat in the Hat:

You are correct and that is why FHP is now considered a substandard agency and everyone, that can, is fleeing this quickly sinking ship. The command staff eiter does not or will not follow their long term operational plan. FHP is being managed by the philsophy of "management by crisis." Meaning: our command staff will only do something when there is "black smoke" coming from the engine room.

Example: We have all been witness to this: one day my sergeant calls us together in such a serious manner that I think he is either going to enlighten me with his "deep insight" in world peace or that he is considering a sex change, but only to find out that he/she wants us to focus on writing speeders on a certain type of road during a very specific time period because Mrs. McFarland the 90-year-old lady who lives down at the end of a dirt road complained. Two days later, there is an another emergency meeting over at "Dunkin Donut" and sgt needs us to drop everything and get our ass*s over to the Skyway Bridge 10-18 caravan style so we can all stand around and monitor the wind speed/traffic condition.....Now, due to no functional operational plan.....we are in a panic to get to (YOu can insert your thoghts here...lol)

Hey Upper management: you need to stop getting "worthless" degrees in criminal justice and start taking upper management/business courses. Like it or not, FHP is a quasi-business and you need to have long term goals and short term objectives to achieve those goals. Yes, along the way there is room for adjustments, if it warrants, but the course must be somewhat firm and consistent, just like we do in our personal lives.

If FHP staff can not or will not, then go to an outside agency and get help. On the current path, everyone who is being honest will tell you that we are:
1. On the wrong path
2. We are heading for DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Personally, I do not think wearing the hats should be mandatory. I think it is a SEVERE officer safety issue. The last issue you need to be concerned with when stopping a car is grabbing for your hat and making sure it is properly arranged. I believe the hat blocks some of your vision when you look down for a moment. Also, 99% of the public think the hats look rediculous.

The hats are policy. If you can't exit your car quickly, put on your hat and conduct the traffic stop you're in the wrong business. Join a local agency. They are comfortable looking like crap on the roadside.

12-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh, and get you're fat, lazy azzes in the gym before you drop dead of a heart attack.

12-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't look like crap without my hat.. I look HOTT just as I am.. Because I'm fit and tan. My hair is perfect becuase I style it. I smell soo good!! Because I got some great cologne for Christmas.

I don't need a hat.

>>>>>>>>>>...........I'm HOTTT... !!!!!!

12-28-2007, 12:06 PM
I look pretty sweet without my hat also. I don't want to argue the issue . I have to go now , I am meeting some guys from Spurberry P.D. at the local resturant to chug some syrup. :lol:

12-28-2007, 02:48 PM
I suspect that any authoritative survey would not support your comment that "...99%..." of the members of the public think a "trooper" wearing his campaign hat looks ridiculous at a X-50 or at a Sig 4. On the contrary, graduate studies in psychology and sociology undoubtedly suggest the opposite. Compared to "retail store security people," St. Pete PD and other "local PD's,"and other agencies' officers who wear "Ball Caps;" the "campaign style" hat makes you look PROFESSIONAL, IN COMMAND of the site, and someone who expects to receive respect from violators. You are not playing in a local "soft-ball" game; this is a serious business, and the "Campaign Hat" improves your demeanor.
Obviously, there may be times when removal of the hat, or not wearing it at the start of an activity would be either inappropriate or imprudent. But, if "routinely," you look "sharp," (translation, wear the hat, stand straight, aren't using tobacco, and aren't leaning on the FHP unit), act "professionally," and are "polite;" the VAST MAJORITY of the public that sees you -- will have more respect for YOU. You may even have more respect for yourself!

12-28-2007, 03:08 PM
If the hat is a big officer safety issue for you? Can your retarded as* tell me why you are a Trooper?

12-28-2007, 03:13 PM

The hats are policy. If you can't exit your car quickly, put on your hat and conduct the traffic stop you're in the wrong business. Join a local agency. They are comfortable looking like crap on the roadside.

And you need to take a course in understanding what you read. I never said I "can't" do it, I said it is something that does not need to be of concern during a 10-50. The second that it takes for you to reach for the hat and slip it on could be the second the violator is using to make a slight movement reaching for a gun. If you think not wearing the hat makes a trooper "look like crap", then I guess you have your own issues. You must also think park rangers look top notch.

12-28-2007, 07:53 PM
RIGHT ON DUDE. ! NO MANDATORY HATS !
MY HAT IS UN-COMFORTABLE AND IS AN OFFICER SAFETY ISSUE IF I WERE TO PUT IT ON AT EVERY 10-50. LEAVE THE POLICY ALONE.

I would LOVE to hear a REAL officer safety issue with wearing a hat. Rarely does something happen while making a stop that you can reach over and throw the hat on. Especially if it is habit to grab it. Personally mine has razors across the back and it is the best weapon I have I am alot more likely to hit someone with it than pull out that silly spray. The only time it blocks vision is when your head is down typing on the computer or trying to get that broken down old printer to work. I like to think I am smart enough to wear it in the car so it does not block my vision.

Seems like every time a trooper or group of troopers don't want to do something it is an officer safety issue. Well, everything can be an officer safety issue until you train for it.

I am a TROOPER and I wear my hat 95% of the time I am out of the car.

12-28-2007, 09:08 PM
THIS IS CRAZY, WHO THE HECK CARES ABOUT HATS! IF YOUR DEPT WOULD PUT AS MUCH CONCERN AND EFFORT INTO KEEPING EMPLOYEES, IN SERVICE TRAINING AND ACTUAL TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT, INSTEAD OF WHAT EVERYBODY THINKS ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK, THINGS MIGHT START HAPPENING FOR YOU GUYS! PEOPLE (THE PUBLIC) CARE ABOUT THE JOB YOUR DOING NOT THE COLOR SCHEME OF YOUR STUPID CAR OR THE WAY YOU LOOK IN A HAT!

12-28-2007, 09:40 PM
THIS IS CRAZY, WHO THE HECK CARES ABOUT HATS! IF YOUR DEPT WOULD PUT AS MUCH CONCERN AND EFFORT INTO KEEPING EMPLOYEES, IN SERVICE TRAINING AND ACTUAL TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT, INSTEAD OF WHAT EVERYBODY THINKS ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK, THINGS MIGHT START HAPPENING FOR YOU GUYS! PEOPLE (THE PUBLIC) CARE ABOUT THE JOB YOUR DOING NOT THE COLOR SCHEME OF YOUR STUPID CAR OR THE WAY YOU LOOK IN A HAT!

Window tint yes
Hats yes
Rifles yes
Chargers yes
PT test ??
Training ??
Real Performance standards ??
The list grows.

Let's start with the little things like enforcing the policy manual. No more I will do as I want to. No more fat a$$es who look disgraceful in the uniform, who couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag. No promotions unless you can pass a pt test. Real training standards etc. Also lets bombard the media with good press and perhaps the state legislature will take notice. Keep up the good work!!!!!

12-29-2007, 12:55 PM

Yea like wearing a baseball cap or no hat at all looks real professional. This career, yes I said career and not job is about two things:
1) professionism and
2) trying to influence a small part of your environment that you happen to occupy at that time.

12-29-2007, 01:34 PM

Window tint yes
Hats yes
Rifles yes
Chargers yes
PT test ??
Training ??
Real Performance standards ??
The list grows.

Let's start with the little things like enforcing the policy manual. No more I will do as I want to. No more fat a$$es who look disgraceful in the uniform, who couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag. No promotions unless you can pass a pt test. Real training standards etc. Also lets bombard the media with good press and perhaps the state legislature will take notice. Keep up the good work!!!!!

Man, what ever happened to the PT test? Back in the late '90 that was the "in-thing." I recall all staff looking for the fittest guys to send up to Tallahassee and they came back all pumped up ready to implement the plan. I even recall Major Leggett requiring our TRT team including the sergeant/lieutenant to take the test. Major Legett was serious and told us we would pass or our a** would be off the "new" TRT team. That was the last time I heard of the PT test. I agree, we need some PT standards!!!!!!!!!!

12-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Does anyone really care that a supervisor Lt. or Above works the Holiday. Who stole your cheese, please. Most of those supervisors have their time on and did thier hoiday duties. When I promote I don't want to work the holidays or weekends. What other perks do you get. You don't get paid that much, and if you look at what the other departments pay their supervisors you would be surprised. You have to have perks so that young troopers are motivated to move up. Pay is not there, so having a decent shift is nice. Some troops use seniorty to assign shifts is that fair then given your reasoning? Plus as you get longer in your career and your kids get older it would be nice to be able to spend time with them, coach a little league team, girl scouts, boy scouts etc and keep your family together. Do not want a divorce in my 20th year, I would have to work forever in this no paying agency. Don't hate the players, hate the game. Besides, I do not want a supervisor out on the holiday when I am goofing off at the house until noon, spending time with my wife on X-mas morning or thanksgiven, who needs the pressure. Its nice to have a day when all I have to worry about is my Sergeant wanting to go to lunch. Guys watch what you wish for, you may not like the results. I know my Lieutenant will make us do aircraft and speed enforcement every chance he gets if he has to come out. They are not going to volunteer to work your wrecks so I dont see the reasoning behind your complaints.
This new adminsitration, seems to read this page and move on what we say. Lets use it to solve bigger, more important issues. PAY, PAY, PAY, F(&8 the tasers, Rifles are cool but without the department paying for them only the renagades will have them (FARVA) and they will try to shoot someone every chance they get until they actually hit someone and quit do to the stress from a police involved shooting. I like the chargers, quick infussion of some morale boost for the ones that get them, downer for the ones that don't. Shift work is what we do. When I came on the Lt's, Capt's and Majors never worked the Holiday or Weedend and it was nice and quiet. If they did come out it was because something bad had happened. You young rookie guys with little experience need to grow some balls and make decisions for yourself without having to have management out to hold your hands. You will get their one day and wish you could have the weekend off. Remember they do not get a five day break as well, Paid overtime, time and a half at H.B. details, rest areas etc., no union representation etc. I never wanted to even see my sergeant and only saw LT. when I f=ed up.
So lets worry about the big stuff, get me some money, show me the money.

12-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Does anyone really care that a supervisor Lt. or Above works the Holiday. Who stole your cheese, please. Most of those supervisors have their time on and did thier hoiday duties. When I promote I don't want to work the holidays or weekends. What other perks do you get. You don't get paid that much, and if you look at what the other departments pay their supervisors you would be surprised. You have to have perks so that young troopers are motivated to move up. Pay is not there, so having a decent shift is nice. Some troops use seniorty to assign shifts is that fair then given your reasoning? Plus as you get longer in your career and your kids get older it would be nice to be able to spend time with them, coach a little league team, girl scouts, boy scouts etc and keep your family together. Do not want a divorce in my 20th year, I would have to work forever in this no paying agency. Don't hate the players, hate the game. Besides, I do not want a supervisor out on the holiday when I am goofing off at the house until noon, spending time with my wife on X-mas morning or thanksgiven, who needs the pressure. Its nice to have a day when all I have to worry about is my Sergeant wanting to go to lunch. Guys watch what you wish for, you may not like the results. I know my Lieutenant will make us do aircraft and speed enforcement every chance he gets if he has to come out. They are not going to volunteer to work your wrecks so I dont see the reasoning behind your complaints.
This new adminsitration, seems to read this page and move on what we say. Lets use it to solve bigger, more important issues. PAY, PAY, PAY, F(&8 the tasers, Rifles are cool but without the department paying for them only the renagades will have them (FARVA) and they will try to shoot someone every chance they get until they actually hit someone and quit do to the stress from a police involved shooting. I like the chargers, quick infussion of some morale boost for the ones that get them, downer for the ones that don't. Shift work is what we do. When I came on the Lt's, Capt's and Majors never worked the Holiday or Weedend and it was nice and quiet. If they did come out it was because something bad had happened. You young rookie guys with little experience need to grow some balls and make decisions for yourself without having to have management out to hold your hands. You will get their one day and wish you could have the weekend off. Remember they do not get a five day break as well, Paid overtime, time and a half at H.B. details, rest areas etc., no union representation etc. I never wanted to even see my sergeant and only saw LT. when I f=ed up.
So lets worry about the big stuff, get me some money, show me the money.

Well said however, I would like to management come out to special details ie DUI checkpoints DL checkpoints wolfpacks etc every once and while to show they actually do care and I mean the ones outside the 8a-5p shift.

12-29-2007, 07:00 PM
You're right sir! 8-5p when the sun sets, its like getting CIP out or a child seat put in. sun down brass, CIP, child seat person, all x42 and not able to be reached.

12-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Well said however, I would like to management come out to special details ie DUI checkpoints DL checkpoints wolfpacks etc every once and while to show they actually do care and I mean the ones outside the 8a-5p shift.[/quote]

Well I know in my troop, where we just completed a DUI checkpoint, the Lieutenant and Captain were both there. The Lieutenant does the Ops plan and attends all of the DUI checkpoints. Checkpoint was from 8-3:00AM. My Lieutenant works the road on office closure days, picks up a wreck once and a while and loves to come to our laser details. I just don't want him there everyday, if you know what I mean. He writes them as low as 10 over. Hardcore. Cant vouce for the rest of the troops. I agree leave my weekend and Holidays for me with no one looking over my shoulder. Nothing happens on christmas morning anyway. You dont even see a car on the road until the afternoon. New years morning is the same. I vote to keep them working the way they are. My Sergeant is highly motivated and a blast to work with.

12-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Morale can not get any worse..... Now, Discipline me when I forget to put my hat on while on a traffic stop?

This is the most rediculous thing I have heard of in my 22 years on the patrol.

This is incomptence at it's worst !

12-30-2007, 03:58 AM
Morale can not get any worse..... Now, Discipline me when I forget to put my hat on while on a traffic stop?

This is the most rediculous thing I have heard of in my 22 years on the patrol.

This is incomptence at it's worst !

Well at least you spelled morale correctly. The rest of your spelling needs improvement in addition to your grammar. 22 years wow! I guess it's about time to retire since you are so resistant to change. It's okay old friend have a happy retirement. The new and improved Patrol will take from here.

01-07-2008, 04:02 AM
I saw the infamous LP from Tampa. She was in her traditional jeans and polo, but she stopped by to laugh at us workaholics