PDA

View Full Version : Uniformed Division

Armycop
12-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Any feedback on the Uniformed Division? After 15 years of Municipal and Military Policing, seems like this would be a good job. Is housing hard to find in the D.C. area? Any other interesting facts I should know before applying?

12-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Any feedback on the Uniformed Division? After 15 years of Municipal and Military Policing, seems like this would be a good job. Is housing hard to find in the D.C. area? Any other interesting facts I should know before applying?

Uniformed Division people earn less than Agents but this is compensated for by the fact that they don't have the same travel requirements. Some UD officers DO travel, setting up magnetometers at events where the President appears.

However, there is shift work and the winters in DC can be harsh, particularly on night shift. There is a certain amount of street patrol work in DC, mostly around foreign embassies.

Also, be aware that UD officers are not all in DC. They are also at the official homes of the former Presidents.

Housing isn't hard to find in the DC area - just EXPENSIVE.

If you are seriously interested in UD I suggest you contact the Secret Service office in Tampa and ask for an opportunity to come in for an interview in order to get more details and see what your prospects of being hired might be.

Best wishes.

Armycop
12-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Your response is greatly appreciated, I will certainly contact the Tampa Office for details.

12-27-2007, 01:29 AM
You might also want to look at the USSS UD web page.

It has a lot of information about UD on it.

http://www.secretservice.gov/whoweare_ud.shtml

Best wishes.

RETUD
01-19-2008, 02:29 PM
If you listen to an Agent about what the Uniformed Division is all about they will tell you we were and are the scum of the earth. This has been going on from the start. Go to the web site, do your homework. Do anything you can to come up with your own opinion of the UD. DO NOT listen to the opinions of any Agent. Good luck in your job search.

03-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Since your are already a certified LEO, you are a valuable commodity these days. After 9/11 many have chosen other career paths. Look, and listen to those already there. But do not limit your options. Good luck

03-02-2008, 05:33 PM
If you listen to an Agent about what the Uniformed Division is all about they will tell you we were and are the scum of the earth. This has been going on from the start. Go to the web site, do your homework. Do anything you can to come up with your own opinion of the UD. DO NOT listen to the opinions of any Agent. Good luck in your job search.

The poster needs to get over his bitterness.

The fact continues to be that UD is an excellent job compared to similar police work at the local level. In addition, the retirement is generally much better than what is available to local police, particularly with regard to the health insurance coverage.

Don't compare UD to the agents; compare UD to local police. You'll see it can be quite rewarding.

Best wishes.

:D

03-03-2008, 09:19 PM
"Rewarding", what planet are you from. Where is my reward in the form of a pay raise as a retired UD member that was law and still is. "Rewarding", why is the UDRA still fighting for this pay that we DESERVE. Why does it keep getting shot down by the House and Senate for years and years. And the biggest question, why won't the AFAUSSS back and support the UDRA in this quest to get our bill passed that we are due and DESERVE as the law reads. "Rewarding", oh great I was able to bring my health insurance with me into retirement, WOW. Why wasn't I able to bring my pay raise into retirement. I'll tell you why because with the stroke of a pen the SS changed the wording in the law but that did not change the law. We still DESERVE the pay that the 1811's don't want us to have. Go to a local PD and stay away from the UD, at least they support and back there retirees.

ps: Unless things have changed, I don't know of any active UD working at a former Presidents house. SO maybe but not UD.

Bitter, you don't know what bitter is unless you where with UD. So enjoy your ride on that gravey train.

03-04-2008, 03:49 AM
There are "rewards" other than money, including working conditions, health insurance, life insurance, vacation, job satisfaction and other benefits.

But, the fact is that UD money, active and retired, is generally superior to what local law enforcement officers across the country make.

And, as a deputy sheriff I can tell you that in my area retirees pay the entire cost of their health insurance which I'm sure has coverage inferior to yours. Further, the cost for the self and family coverage is about $800 a month!!!

There is also a cap on how much vacation and sick leave we can accrue. UD sick leave can be accrued without limit

UD officers in the military reserves are moved into the retired reserves, standby reserves or discharged.

I presently have many co-workers who were in the reserves who have been called away from their deputy sheriff positions and are serving extended tours of duty in Afghanistan or Iraq.

By the way at my office you are not even considered for employment unless you have at least a two year degree and most of those hired actually have a four year college degree. UD only requires a high school degree or equivalent while Agents must have a four year degree.

But, as I said --- don't compare UD to Agents when deciding on a career move, compare UD to local law enforcement positions.

You don't know how good you have it.

:!:

03-04-2008, 04:25 AM
ps: Unless things have changed, I don't know of any active UD working at a former Presidents house. SO maybe but not UD.

That makes sense to me. Sounds like a good allocation of resources.

Special Officers have lower qualification standards, are paid less than UD officers and have less training.

Why would management want to use the more expensive UD officers when the use of less expensive Special Officers gets the job done?

Maybe the SOs should be bitter because they don't have the pay and benefits of a UD officer!

:wink:

03-05-2008, 04:20 AM

That makes sense to me. Sounds like a good allocation of resources.

Special Officers have lower qualification standards, are paid less than UD officers and have less training.

Why would management want to use the more expensive UD officers when the use of less expensive Special Officers gets the job done?

Maybe the SOs should be bitter because they don't have the pay and benefits of a UD officer!

:wink:

Hi, I'm a cop from South Florida. I read this board because I have the highest respect for USSS, I've even looked into applying after I put in my five years here. I had a question, it appears as if there are three "classes" of Secret Service LEOS: Agents, Uniformed, and Special Officers. From what I've read on the Secret Service website, Agents enforce laws relating to the security of our nation's treasury and some protect the President and other government officials, Uniformed Division officers guard the White House, Foreign Embassies and the Naval Observatory, but what is the mission of Special Officers? Thank you for serving and stay safe!

03-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi, I'm a cop from South Florida. I read this board because I have the highest respect for USSS, I've even looked into applying after I put in my five years here. I had a question, it appears as if there are three "classes" of Secret Service LEOS: Agents, Uniformed, and Special Officers. From what I've read on the Secret Service website, Agents enforce laws relating to the security of our nation's treasury and some protect the President and other government officials, Uniformed Division officers guard the White House, Foreign Embassies and the Naval Observatory, but what is the mission of Special Officers? Thank you for serving and stay safe!SO's are in the same federal pay classification (1802)as two other USSS jobs, Operations Support Technicians (OST) and Protective Support Technicians (PST).

SOs primary job is protection of other USSS facilities, i.e. the Headquarters building and other facilities including the homes of former Presidents. The maintain fixed security posts at protected events like the UN or Democratic/Republican Conventions. With additional training over their basic academy they also operate protective vehicles in motorcades and may act as an EMT, firearms instructor, and/or CPR instructor.

SOs are either DC based, or based at a former President detail. Those that are DC based are in the non-high risk retirement and as such earn a lower retirement benefit but can be hired at any age. SOs at a former detail are high risk retirement earning a higher retirement benefit but can not be hired at any age above 40 due to retirement restrictions. There are about 200 SOs in the USSS SOs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory Special Officer

PSTs primary job is operate protective vehicles in motorcades. They are all DC based and are split up between the Presidential Protection Division (PPD), Vice Presidential Protection Division (VPD) and the Dignitary Protection Division (DPD) PSTs are high risk retirement earning a higher retirement benefit but can not be hired at any age above 40 due to retirement restrictions.I think there are about 75 PSTs. PSTs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory PST. There are two GS-12 PSTs

OSTs primary job is operation of protective vehicles in motorcades as well as operation of technical surveillance equipment in investigations. They may act as an EMT, firearms instructor, and/or CPR instructor. and in the offices they are assigned they are the fleet manager. OSTs are assigned to specific investigative field offices around the country in ones and twos, with a total of 50 OSTs around the country. OSTs are in the non-high risk retirement and as such earn a lower retirement benefit but can be hired at any age.OSTs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory OST. But with that said, most OSTs are a GS-9, which they attain after completing schools including driving and technical surveillance.

All of the three groups are authorized to carry firearms but SOs are the only ones with arrest authority.

SOs, PSTs and OSTs all attend the same academy at the USSS training facility in Maryalnd. Currently it's nine weeks long covering laws, control techniques, firearms, first aid, CPR as well as other things.

Due to the confusion over the retirement and arrest authority differences all three positions are currently under review, so some of these things may change.

03-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi, I'm a cop from South Florida. I read this board because I have the highest respect for USSS, I've even looked into applying after I put in my five years here. I had a question, it appears as if there are three "classes" of Secret Service LEOS: Agents, Uniformed, and Special Officers. From what I've read on the Secret Service website, Agents enforce laws relating to the security of our nation's treasury and some protect the President and other government officials, Uniformed Division officers guard the White House, Foreign Embassies and the Naval Observatory, but what is the mission of Special Officers? Thank you for serving and stay safe!SO's are in the same federal pay classification (1802)as two other USSS jobs, Operations Support Technicians (OST) and Protective Support Technicians (PST).

SOs primary job is protection of other USSS facilities, i.e. the Headquarters building and other facilities including the homes of former Presidents. The maintain fixed security posts at protected events like the UN or Democratic/Republican Conventions. With additional training over their basic academy they also operate protective vehicles in motorcades and may act as an EMT, firearms instructor, and/or CPR instructor.

SOs are either DC based, or based at a former President detail. Those that are DC based are in the non-high risk retirement and as such earn a lower retirement benefit but can be hired at any age. SOs at a former detail are high risk retirement earning a higher retirement benefit but can not be hired at any age above 40 due to retirement restrictions. There are about 200 SOs in the USSS SOs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory Special Officer

PSTs primary job is operate protective vehicles in motorcades. They are all DC based and are split up between the Presidential Protection Division (PPD), Vice Presidential Protection Division (VPD) and the Dignitary Protection Division (DPD) PSTs are high risk retirement earning a higher retirement benefit but can not be hired at any age above 40 due to retirement restrictions.I think there are about 75 PSTs. PSTs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory PST. There are two GS-12 PSTs

OSTs primary job is operation of protective vehicles in motorcades as well as operation of technical surveillance equipment in investigations. They may act as an EMT, firearms instructor, and/or CPR instructor. and in the offices they are assigned they are the fleet manager. OSTs are assigned to specific investigative field offices around the country in ones and twos, with a total of 50 OSTs around the country. OSTs are in the non-high risk retirement and as such earn a lower retirement benefit but can be hired at any age.OSTs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory OST. But with that said, most OSTs are a GS-9, which they attain after completing schools including driving and technical surveillance.

All of the three groups are authorized to carry firearms but SOs are the only ones with arrest authority.

SOs, PSTs and OSTs all attend the same academy at the USSS training facility in Maryalnd. Currently it's nine weeks long covering laws, control techniques, firearms, first aid, CPR as well as other things.

Due to the confusion over the retirement and arrest authority differences all three positions are currently under review, so some of these things may change.

Thank you! I have the greatest respect for USSS, and your response furthers my belief that USSS are some of the most professional law enforcers in the world. I've done a few Mayor's Protective Details with my city and I absolutely love it. Thanks again, Agent.

03-22-2008, 04:15 AM
I had another question about the Uniformed Division. I noticed the UD has a Crime Scene Unit (a rather extensive one, from what I've seen). Do they assist Metro PD and other agencies? I just can't imagine there many crimes or incidents (if any at all) at facilities under the protection of the Secret Service. Thanks and stay safe!

RETUD
03-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I had another question about the Uniformed Division. I noticed the UD has a Crime Scene Unit (a rather extensive one, from what I've seen). Do they assist Metro PD and other agencies? I just can't imagine there many crimes or incidents (if any at all) at facilities under the protection of the Secret Service. Thanks and stay safe!

Yes the UD Crime Scene Unit assists where they can but they assist MPDC the most. The UD has pretty much the same powers as MPDC. We are not limited to facilities under the protection of the SS. The UD street cop can be called to handle any crime in his /her zone. Please do not under estimate the authority of the UD, let the Agents do that. The UD has made many good cases and the Crime Scene Unit is one of the best in the area.

07-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Listen I have had the multiple pleasure of interacting with many of you guys while up in DC for Police Memorial week and on other trips. You guys are the real deal COPS. Let the College Boys, think what they want, while they are home sleeping, you guys are there making sure the President of the Most Powerful Nation in the world is secure. Thanks for all you guys do.