PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

12-23-2007, 04:06 AM
When Cops Retire:

When a good cop leaves the "job" and retires to a better life, many are jealous, some are pleased and yet others, who may have already retired, wonder. We wonder if he knows what they are leaving behind, because we already know. We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times. We know in the law enforcement life there is a fellowship which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet. We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath that remains in his life. We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job. You will still look at people suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and always will look at the rest of the law enforcement world with a respect for what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing. Never think for one moment you are escaping from that life. You are only escaping the "job" and we are merely allowing you to leave "active" duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in your heart you never forget for one moment that "Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called children of God," and you are still a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

And the public, will never understand.

12-23-2007, 04:57 AM
WELL SAID

12-23-2007, 05:44 AM
AMEN!

12-23-2007, 01:07 PM
after a reeeally long night, that was nice to read.
i makes me look forward to a long career here.
so thanks.

12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
i meant "it makes"
sorry, the sun's up, can't think, let alone type.

12-29-2007, 08:36 PM
i meant "it makes"
sorry, the sun's up, can't think, let alone type.

:lol: DECEMBER 31 2008 I WILL RETIRE FROM THE MPD WITH A HEFTY PENSION. ON JANUARY 1, 2009 DEPUTY CHIEF FERNANDEZ WILL REIGN AS CHIEF OF POLICE OF MIAMI POLICE DEPARTMENT.

01-26-2008, 01:40 PM
who is leaving this moth

01-30-2008, 07:37 AM
That was well done, but you are not. I hung it up in Aventura just a year ago with a total of 34 years most on the streets. I am getting back on the road again if I can find a dept which will take me. As I see that I have not had enough. I think that your going to come back ! If you departed the force in a leadership role and stood by your people you will be back ! Because no matter how much we ***** or feel we are hurt we are willing to risk it all for our fellow officers when the 3-15s go out. Maybe not in Miami PD , but you are not done yet. We need you out there.

Our chosen life style is in our blood forever and forever is a lifetime.

01-30-2008, 08:30 AM
That was well done, but you are not. I hung it up in Aventura just a year ago with a total of 34 years most on the streets. I am getting back on the road again if I can find a dept which will take me. As I see that I have not had enough. I think that your going to come back ! If you departed the force in a leadership role and stood by your people you will be back ! Because no matter how much we ***** or feel we are hurt we are willing to risk it all for our fellow officers when the 3-15s go out. Maybe not in Miami PD , but you are not done yet. We need you out there.

Our chosen life style is in our blood forever and forever is a lifetime.
Papa, stay retired. Live life, Jeez. Spend time with your family. Papa, por favor, hasta quando?

02-03-2008, 03:25 AM
THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. YOU ARE CORRECT, BUT YOU ARE MY EXTENDED FAMILY ONE WHICH I HAVE PASSED ON THE STREET GIVEN 15s TO ON MY WAY HOME . GIVEN HELP TO WITHOUT KNOWING WHO YOU ARE OR EVER SAW AGAIN. I still have it and not ready to retire yet.

Thanks Bob

02-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Bob being retired doesn't mean you have to stop backing up cops. Every marked unit I go by I always look to see how the officer is. After a Hurricane in 05, I stopped and asked an MDPD unit if needed a 15 as he had just run a 3 to a gas station I was going by. Took food and drinks to a unit at my corner due to flooding in the area. And I retired in 1989. It is a life style/ frame of mind, and if you really were a cop, it will never change for you. But remember cops die 10 years earlier than the national average. Due to stress they think. Bad management from above can't help either. 34 years on you have to be at least 55. Ask the family if they have had enough, while we are having fun. And for me it was fun catching the felons, but going on my 4th marriage. Think it through, we can't leap tall buildings in a single bound any more.

02-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Bob being retired doesn't mean you have to stop backing up cops. Every marked unit I go by I always look to see how the officer is. After a Hurricane in 05, I stopped and asked an MDPD unit if needed a 15 as he had just run a 3 to a gas station I was going by. Took food and drinks to a unit at my corner due to flooding in the area. And I retired in 1989. It is a life style/ frame of mind, and if you really were a cop, it will never change for you. But remember cops die 10 years earlier than the national average. Due to stress they think. Bad management from above can't help either. 34 years on you have to be at least 55. Ask the family if they have had enough, while we are having fun. And for me it was fun catching the felons, but going on my 4th marriage. Think it through, we can't leap tall buildings in a single bound any more.

In September of this year I will walk out of the doors at the Miami Police Department in my uniform for the last time. After 27.5 years of being on the job and at age 52 years, I still feel young and healthy enough to continue on with another department, or even this one. However, there is more involved. I have so much to do that I have wanted to do over the years that I have not been able to do because of the job or finances. Places to travel to, people and friends to spend time with.

My wife told me something the other day that really struck true. She stated that she was tired of going to bed every night wondering if I was going to come through our front door in the morning. This is probably true of a lot of wives and maybe some husbands. I want to enjoy the year that I have left with my son before he is out of the house with his life forever. I can never forget the look in his eyes because of the times when he and I were on the way to or at a baseball or football game and I got beeped to go handle a fatality.

Stress, whether in the street or the bull$hit we have had to endure from our command staff takes a toll on a person in the form of hypertension, heart disease and other ailments. I will go back to work but most likely in an occupation that does not require working nights or weekends. And perhaps in a job where the administration cares about the rank and file.

02-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Your words show me that you are a real leader and have a good working relationship with your brother and sister officers. I feel as I have with mine,except for the one or two wanna-be's.That's not bad when you look at 95 gun tooten officers. You are correct when you said family has been on back burner,and as and old motorman once said to me was, "when the smoke gets thick, or when you are suspended they ae all you have", he was correct. I still hte those bagpipes and feel th althgough I can't be there for everyone, maybe then some wheere, I can be the 15 t may never get. Thank you for yr knindnss time and dat of tha walk through tha door ill be there as your 15.