PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff's Office gets great marks

12-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Theses are the results from the recent Escambia County Operation Survey taken from http://www.myescambia.com.

Rate your level of satisfaction with Escambia County Sheriff Services.

Very Satisfied 32.3%
Somewhat Satisfied 33.8%
Neutral 18.1%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 8.0%
Very Dissatisfied 7.7%

According to this survey of 507 only 15% of the people aren't happy with the Sheriff's office. Poor Morganites.

Dr Pepper
12-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Of those that responded to the survey, how many actually had contact with the Sheriff's Office during the past year? Stats can't tell the whole story if you don't ask the correct questions.

I'm not a morganite and I know there are a number of issues that plague our agency. Seven years of this same crap and I doubt it will get better under the current admistration.

How many employees saw the $10,000 to $20,000 or $30,000 doallr a year raise? Only those designated with the elite status of Director. The working stiffs might have seen $5,000 if we were lucky.

An $80 million dollar budget and no raise for employees?

An $80 million dollar budget and we still dont have adequate staffing for patrol or the jail?

An $80 million dollar budget and the agency can't afford a desk pad calendar?

An $80 million dollar budget and the agency cant buy a monthly planner/calendar books?

In May, during the last fiscal year, it became harder to gte approval for almost anything from the property room. Uniforms stopped being ordered, and if something wasnt in stock, the CFO had to approve the purchase as the agency was out of money. Anyone want to offer a guess when the agency will be out of money this fiscal year? An $80 million dollar budget and we are dirt poor.

12-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Of those that responded to the survey, how many actually had contact with the Sheriff's Office during the past year? Stats can't tell the whole story if you don't ask the correct questions.

Unfortunately it's the same amount of contact as the average voter.

12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
How about a little Christmas cheer anyone else remember when the admin could buy back some of your comp for Xmas. How about an Xmas bonus (LMAO). Hell my pop would give the garbage man 50 bucks and a bottle of the good stuff every Xmas. So is the life of the lowly public servant, we appreciate your dedication to the community, now work 6 side jobs to have extra cash to buy your son an Xbox and some games for Xmas. That was a lot of crying, I feel better, got to go work a gig see ya later.

12-23-2007, 06:08 PM
After a few years at this department,I am convinced that some of you can cry about ANYTHING!

The previous poster felt it necessary to give a laundry list of all the bad things at this agency, so let me balance that by a list a good things, and things that could be, and ARE, much much worse at other places.

1. Pay. We are within 10% of the pay of NEARLY EVERY police agency in the panhandle, with the exception of Tallahassee Police, and we make more than many of those agencies.

2. Equipment. So the stock room stopped ordering uniforms, huh? Well who cares. Do any of you not have uniforms that are servicable? Is anybody missing necessary items that have not been replaced? I doubt it.

3. Vehicles. With only a few exceptions, every patrol officer that is not a 400 number (not a rookie for those of you not part of our agency) has a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles and a computer system. Granted, things go wrong with the computers and vehicles from time to time, but for the most part, they get fixed promptly.

4. Supervision. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to call a sueprvisor and let them know what kind of charges you have on a suspect before you take them to jail, and have your supervisor tell you over the phone if you did the right thing or not? And if he didnt like your arrest, he could (would) tell you to let that person go right there on the street after you already cuffed and stuffed him? THAT HAPPENS AT MANY AGENCIES.

5. Extra duty. We have the most laid back extra duty office I've ever seen. You work your jobs, stay out of trouble, and you dont have anybody bother you about it. Its not like that at many places, where you have to turn in a few bucks per hour worked to cover gas and expenses for the S.O. Again, we could just jack up the hourly rate a couple bucks to cover it, but it is a big hassle.

So many things that I hear complained about are so petty, I have to wonder wat people expect. We live in reality... not the perfect law enforcement community you all (or at least many of you) seem to hope for, where we are payed the highest in the area, have all teh best equipment, never squabble between departments and everybody can get every transfer and every piece of equipment they ever want.

We dont have calanders this year? Wa...

Adequate staffing for the jail or patrol? I just saw a whole list of trainees coming out to patrol from FTO, and you can't MAKE people apply to work at the jail. They hire who they can. Keep in mind they are competing with the Road Camp and teh State Department of Corrections for these applicants, and the state has their own academy at the prison, so they can take people who arent even certified. We cant do that. We work with what we have.

I know these facts will not sway you hard core whiners... but I want the good staff out there to keep their head up. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side, and if you think other places have less political and financial problems, PLEASE go there and see for yourself.

To the public, thanks for your vote of confidence in the recent satisfaction surveys. And to those of you making a big deal of how many people had contact with the S.O. to base that decision on, let me just say that YOURE NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE CONTACT WITH THE POLICE! If so, you are either the victim of a crime or a suspect, and either way, I imagine you opinion of the police wouldnt be too high at that point anyways.

I am proud to work here. I always have been. I look forward to thsoe of you who complain (especially those higher up than me) leaving so I can take your job and do it better, with more pride, less complaining and more motivation to make the department as godd as it can be with what I have to work with.

12-24-2007, 01:05 AM
We'll said Deputy Dooley.

12-24-2007, 11:35 AM
The proper survey would have included a question that would have allowed us to know whether or not the survey respondent :

1. Had ever lived anywhere else, i.e., had knowledge of how other LEA's worked and were supposed to work,

2. In the same vein, what there experience was with LEA's - are they even knowledgeable enough to make a determination of the efficacy of an agency.

This was a satisfaction survey, not an efficiency survey, or effectiveness survey, or a professionalism survey. If the respondents have only lived in Escambia County, how would they know anything else ? How would they have a frame of reference for comparison ? For that matter, same thing to Deputy Dooley - assuming he isn't a RMc troll, if this is the only place that he has ever worked, then why wouldn't he be happy - he doesn't know any better. Me, I've worked other places - there are probably worse agencies than this, but there certainly are better ones, too.

I bet in Nazi Germany the Gestapo would have gotten high marks in a public opinion poll too - who talks bad about an agency when the operative emotion is fear of retribution, and not pride ?

12-24-2007, 03:07 PM
D. Dooley how would you address compression in the salaries at the SO?

12-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Please, before you speak about Jail issues inform yourself correctly. The jail is short because the lack of recruiting and @$%%$# who just left (D.W.). What about hiring freezes when they are so short at the jail officers are being force to work overtime for comp time only, but they can’t take time off because they are so short. Look the grass is always greener on the other side but the grass died on this side a while back. Not everybody at the jail is crying but enough is enough. 2008 will be here soon.

12-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Please, before you speak about Jail issues inform yourself correctly. The jail is short because the lack of recruiting and @$%%$# who just left (D.W.). What about hiring freezes when they are so short at the jail officers are being force to work overtime for comp time only, but they can’t take time off because they are so short. Look the grass is always greener on the other side but the grass died on this side a while back. Not everybody at the jail is crying but enough is enough. 2008 will be here soon.

If you're being worked overtime and they wont pay you or allow you to take time off to compensate you for that time, get a good labor lawyer adn file suit in federal court.

The law is clear. The Sheriff is obliged to follow the federal law. Opps I forgot, the dosn't have to follow the law, he can say he didn't know he was violating it.

12-25-2007, 05:20 AM
What do you know.... more whining.

12-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Mr. Mod! Why was my reply to Deputy Dooley not posted? Did you not like the fact that I called him out on his post or was it the fact that I read between the lines and labeled him as a "McNugget!" I guess we now see your true side also! Please explain!!!!

12-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey Mr. Mod! Why was my reply to Deputy Dooley not posted? Did you not like the fact that I called him out on his post or was it the fact that I read between the lines and labeled him as a "McNugget!" I guess we now see your true side also! Please explain!!!! And just in case it was an "oversight" my reply was posted two days ago!

12-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Clearly Dooley is a McNesby supporter. Standing up for your rights is not whining Dooley. It's our constitutional duty as American citizens. And regardless how "good" Dooley may have it, things ain't so great for the citizens. Shortage of manpower on the streets means slow response times. The jail is a mess with overcrowding, MRSA and unexplained deaths. Merit is not the road to advancement at the ECSO under McNesby. It's campaign contributions. If you doubt that just check the list of contributors against those with advanced rank. The taxpayers are being robbed blind by this administration. Ronniemac has massively increased the budget while losing manpower and this in a county that is not growing in population. Hey I thought this was supposed to be "paradise?" Even total strangers know not to move here. And are we safer than we were 7 years ago? Well our murder rate is at an all time high. Accepting mediocrity and an agency whose top management has generally covered up for serious misdeeds does not make for a stellar example of policing in progress. Dooley and those who think like him are absolutely never going to be a part of the solution to this agency's multiple and serious deficiencies.

Dr Pepper
12-25-2007, 11:16 AM
What do you know.... more whining.

You call it whining and others see it as being truthful.

It still come down to a bloated budget, wasteful spending, and employees who take it in the shorts picking up the tab.

12-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey Mr. Mod! Why was my reply to Deputy Dooley not posted? Did you not like the fact that I called him out on his post or was it the fact that I read between the lines and labeled him as a "McNugget!" I guess we now see your true side also! Please explain!!!!

The McNugget term has been used enough on this site so that it obviously has a meaning of its own and obviously is describing someone who is or who appears to be a supporter of the present administration and specifically the incumbent, Sheriff McNesby. I might ad, as we who work there know; the term is jokingly used around the office by friend and foe of McNesby. Just because a post does include that term to describe another poster, it should not be deleted because it is not a libelous term unless it is to be assumed that to be called a McNesby supporter (or a McNugget) is a bad, illegal or libelous thing. It’s no more bad or libelous or bad than calling one who supports Morgan a “Morganite”. When that term is used, those post don’t get deleted.

If you’re going to post any comments on this thread that can be construed in the least bit anti administration or anti McNesby or even suggest that anyone posting pro administration or pro McNesby is a “McNugget” you should save a copy of your text so you can appeal to Mod 1. As the many past deletions prove, Mod 453 is quick on the trigger to delete posts that are in the least bit anti administration or anti McNesby.

12-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Theses are the results from the recent Escambia County Operation Survey taken from http://www.myescambia.com.

Very Satisfied 32.3%
Somewhat Satisfied 33.8%
Neutral 18.1%
Very Dissatisfied 7.7%

According to this survey of 507 only 15% of the people aren't happy with the Sheriff's office. Poor Morganites.

So the people who TOOK the survey had to go to

www.myescambia.com (http://www.myescambia.com) in order to rate ECSO.

In other words we have no way of knowing if the results are skewed by management by, how do I say this, "ringers"

I live in the county. I didn't know about the survey and I bet the majority of the other households in the county didn't know either.

The true survey results will be at election time.

12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Let me be clear...

I am not pro-Mcnesby. I am just anti-complainer. I believe that if you disagree with a boss, deal with it, improve it, or find another place to work. Trashing your employer or agency brings disrespect upon you and all of us.

I believe in the power of the employees to make things better.

We have issues... pay compression, jail overcrowding/understaffing, etc. NAME AN AGENCY THAT DOESN'T.

I can tell you that I am not a supervisor, nor am I "in the click", not that you believe me anyways.

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING THOUGH. People are tired of one thing about the S.O.... the complainers. I love the old adage that "if you come to me with a problem, come to me also with a solution." Voters don’t want to hear griping... it is not confidence instilling. People want to hear solutions. And when it comes time to vote, people will acquaint all that complaining with the person whom the complainers support, and they will vote not for who they want, but AGAINST who they think will bring about more discontent.

I personally don’t care who is top dog. I have a job either way. I never see the sheriff, and doubt he would know my name if I ran into him in the hallway. BUT I AM PROUD OF WHERE I WORK. My agency polices 300,000 people with half the deputies of some agencies in similar populations. Our jail holds it down even without their full staffing, AND I AM PROUD OF THEM TOO.

You can call me a McNugget... MOD< PLEASE LET THEM. No need to delete their postings... it is just more of the same, and they show their true face with their words.

To the good staff... keep your heads up. The weak and the whiners will fall to the way-side, and a day will come when we are in a position to weed out the remaining hindrances on this department.

12-25-2007, 08:00 PM
You must be a new Deputy probably one who just transferred from a worthless agency and I mean worthless one to see this one as a good one. Just wait long enough you will take in the pants too and then…blah, blah, blah…

12-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Sorry, but wrong.

12-25-2007, 10:39 PM

Very Satisfied 32.3%
Somewhat Satisfied 33.8%
Neutral 18.1%
Very Dissatisfied 7.7%

In other words we have no way of knowing if the results are skewed by management by, how do I say this, "ringers"

I live in the county. I didn't know about the survey and I bet the majority of the other households in the county didn't know either.

Wrong. The results of the survey are there. If you're looking for methodology as to how the survey was administered, go to the website.

MOD 353
12-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey Mr. Mod! Why was my reply to Deputy Dooley not posted? Did you not like the fact that I called him out on his post or was it the fact that I read between the lines and labeled him as a "McNugget!" I guess we now see your true side also! Please explain!!!!First off, if you wrote something it would have been posted. Did it not show up or was it deleted? If it was deleted I don't remember doing it. Please post again so we can see what is so important to you and so that you can see my true side :?

12-26-2007, 01:55 AM

Very Satisfied 32.3%
Somewhat Satisfied 33.8%
Neutral 18.1%
Very Dissatisfied 7.7%

Wrong. The results of the survey are there. If you're looking for methodology as to how the survey was administered, go to the website.

Looks like the "Survey respondent names and phones numbers were drawn from a master list of Escambia County voters"

All that says is if you were a registered voter you could have been called. With a total of 507 participants it doesn't take but a dozen or so ECSO management types to be home when the phone rings to skew the results.

I stand by my opinion that the true survey results will be at election time

12-26-2007, 03:40 AM
The biggest fallacy I see with the survey is that it asked if the public was satisfied with the Sheriffs’ Department. The way I see it, the way the question was asked, most citizens associate the department with what kind of job the deputies and employees are doing and most are satisfied with them. For the most part, most are seen as hard working, dedicated and honorable employees who serve the community well.

The real question should have been are you satisfied with the kind of job the Sheriff is doing. In that case I think the response would have been different because many are questioning his integrity, (the recent hunting law incident), his hiring practices, (hiring so many friends at high salaries), his ability to run the jail property, (too many questionable deaths and being short handed in staffing), his ability to handle the budget frugally, (many, many examples) and so on. If those questions had been asked the answers would not have been so positive.

12-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Actually it has a 95% confidence level with a 4.34% confidence interval.

That means that there is a 95% chance that only 3.36% to 12.04% of the voting population is very dissatisfied (ala Morgan, Craig, and Ely) with the Sheriff's office.

Incidentally isn't that the range of votes Morgan got last time? While I also would have liked to see further questions, it seems to be an acurate survey.

Guest60
01-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Does Dr Pepper use this site for advertising each time he has a comment? .... Does he pay for that or can anyone post an ad?

01-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Does Dr Pepper use this site for advertising each time he has a comment? .... Does he pay for that or can anyone post an ad?

What do you mean.. I dont see any ads! ?

02-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Harry: Staff, Al Gore called me. Thar is an opinion poll out there on that thar internet. We need to respond. Assemble the troops and nudge them into participation.

ChipMonk: Sharaff, I cuns gets 507 peoples whos know hows to gets online to votes now.

Harry: Ok. Mix them up a little to makes me look good but don't make it obvious.

Meanwhile, the real citizens of Escambia County don't give a shizzazzz and will speak with their votes.

Reporter: Citizen Joe Schmoe, who will you vote for Sheriff?

Citizen: Uh, I am voting for Buford Justice, you know, the gate guy. helicopter gate, admin salaries gate, trailer gate, stripper gate, hunting gate, no bid contracts gate. Yeah, the gate guy. I likes being robbed blind.