PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

12-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Guys I have some questions regarding your retirement. I'm currently an officer for another local dept but I was interested in applying to your dept. If I'm 30 years old do I have to do a total of 25 years for full retirement or do you guys have the 70 point system? Also, what is the multiplier and once retired does the dept pay for health insurance? Thanks!

12-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Guys I have some questions regarding your retirement. I'm currently an officer for another local dept but I was interested in applying to your dept. If I'm 30 years old do I have to do a total of 25 years for full retirement or do you guys have the 70 point system? Also, what is the multiplier and once retired does the dept pay for health insurance? Thanks!

MDPD operates under the Florida Retirement System (FRS), access the FRS website and get all details there!

http://dms.myflorida.com/human_resource ... retirement (http://dms.myflorida.com/human_resource_support/retirement)

12-22-2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks but I already did that and couldn't find anything on how many years I had to complete to retire. I wanted to know if there was a point system like other dept in Dade county.

12-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks but I already did that and couldn't find anything on how many years I had to complete to retire. I wanted to know if there was a point system like other dept in Dade county.

No, just 25 years in service, or 55 years-of-age, which ever comes first.

12-24-2007, 07:54 AM

Go with the city of Miami or Miami Beach and get 1% monies in an extra pension costing you nothing. Miami cops get around 250 grand, depending on the stock market.

12-25-2007, 09:18 PM

MDPD operates under the Florida Retirement System (FRS), access the FRS website and get all details there!

http://dms.myflorida.com/human_resource ... retirement (http://dms.myflorida.com/human_resource_support/retirement)

With the Florida Retirement System you are vested in 6 years with a 3% muti

12-28-2007, 12:59 AM
YES

12-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Go with the city of Miami or Miami Beach and get 1% monies in an extra pension costing you nothing. Miami cops get around 250 grand, depending on the stock market.

FRS is a lot better. Miami is also FRS. If you chose the investment option for FRS you could get a lot more money than Miami

12-29-2007, 11:04 PM

FRS is a lot better. Miami is also FRS. If you chose the investment option for FRS you could get a lot more money than Miami

Miami is not FRS!

12-31-2007, 04:52 AM

Miami cops have nothing to do with FRS. We have our qwn trust with Miami firefighters. And there is another retirement Miami Cops get called the 1%. Miami cops are getting a check for around $250,000 when they leave, which cost them NOTHING,PLUS their city pension. And if you get injured in the FRS, you get 50% of your pay as a disability retirement. Miami pays 66.6%. FRS better? do the math.

12-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Is overtime included in your pension?

01-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Yes it is. Also, your retirement payments are based on your highest three (3) years. So make sure you work a lot of O.T. just before you leave (2 or 3 yrs. worth) and you won't regret it later.

01-07-2008, 01:58 AM
FRS is still better

01-07-2008, 02:01 AM

Miami cops have nothing to do with FRS. We have our qwn trust with Miami firefighters. And there is another retirement Miami Cops get called the 1%. Miami cops are getting a check for around $250,000 when they leave, which cost them NOTHING,PLUS their city pension. And if you get injured in the FRS, you get 50% of your pay as a disability retirement. Miami pays 66.6%. FRS better? do the math.

Which is why Miami and other cities can't afford their pension. FRS has the investment option and I walked away with so much more money than any city can offer. Keep dreaming city boy, your retirement isn't that good

01-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Miami contributes 7% to their retirement.

http://www.miamifipo.org/benefitFAQ.htm

They have some good benefits, however overall the FRS is more stable and better off. I'll take the 7% i don't contribute and put it toward a seperate 401K 457 or 401H and walk away with DROP money and pension funds larger than Miami.

01-07-2008, 05:47 AM

They have some good benefits, however overall the FRS is more stable and better off. I'll take the 7% i don't contribute and put it toward a seperate 401K 457 or 401H and walk away with DROP money and pension funds larger than Miami.

Yes, use YOUR 7%, while the 1% quater of a million I get, cost me nothing. And don't get disabled on duty, the 50% FRS pays won't go far my friend. You would be surprised how much more 16.6% a year is.

01-07-2008, 05:53 AM

Which is why Miami and other cities can't afford their pension. FRS has the investment option and I walked away with so much more money than any city can offer. Keep dreaming city boy, your retirement isn't that good

Hey, you remember 9-11? You remember the dump the market took afterwards? You investment plan is a roll of the Di. Oil going thru the roof. Unemployment up 1% to 5%. No body buying new cars. Can you say recession? Yes the market goes up and goes down. You feel lucky?

01-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Yes, use YOUR 7%, while the 1% quater of a million I get, cost me nothing. And don't get disabled on duty, the 50% FRS pays won't go far my friend. You would be surprised how much more 16.6% a year is.

That's fine. I have a 401H paid for by my agency. FRS gives me 50% and the 401H will cover me for life. I still put that 7% toward my retirement and I make a lot more than you. I choose to contribute 7% you have to. You Miami cops are the nieve who thinks your crap doesn't stink. FRS is a lot more stable and I'm sorry you can't give credit where credit is due.

01-07-2008, 11:00 PM

Hey moron, if you are going to post information about the FRS, please post accurate information. Police officers and fire fighters are part of the special risk retirement and if you are injured FRS covers 65%. So I don't contribute and still get 65%. So I'll still take my extra 7% and blow you out of the water.

Here's the link so you can spread the accurate information:

http://www.myfrs.com/content/fa/finguide_pcdisabl.html

01-07-2008, 11:11 PM

Hey moron, if you are going to post information about the FRS, please post accurate information. Police officers and fire fighters are part of the special risk retirement and if you are injured FRS covers 65%. So I don't contribute and still get 65%. So I'll still take my extra 7% and blow you out of the water.

Here's the link so you can spread the accurate information:

http://www.myfrs.com/content/fa/finguide_pcdisabl.html

What is really said is under Miami's retirement you can't receive a COLA until 4 years after retirement or the age of 50. With FRS is immediate.

Unregistered
06-14-2019, 06:27 PM
¡Toda la belleza duerme! Y ¡mira dónde reposa
Irene, con sus destinos!
¡Oh, ilustre señora!, ¿cómo puede estar bien

Tiempo perdido