PDA

View Full Version : Thinking

12-18-2007, 01:50 PM
This is great. You've stopped bashing the person who went to IA and you're thinking about your operation. The sort of commentary I offer would never be spoken of at a staff meeting or at one of the famous coffee talks. Keep thinking of ways to improve your operation. A former chief there did a study that positively correlated activated overheads with a reduction in burglary. I didn't read the study but he was pretty enthused about it. I'm familiar with the force multiplier concept that the VIPs are and did not imply that they are sworn. Your position that they are unprotected and unable to do any crime prevention in parking lots is absurd. They can talk on radios can't they? If you still had explorers they could aid in the parking lot effort as well. Anyway, it's good to question the operation from time to time. Jacknutz?

12-18-2007, 11:00 PM
This person is still trying to bait officers into unproductive name calling. Just do your best to ignore the invite and eventually he/she will go away.

Guest 9, if you're really looking to institute changes or influence the decision makers, you truly, truly are wasting your time. Getting some attention/frustration diverted in your direction on this website doesn't REALLY accomplish anything. Nontheless, it's great that your heart is in the right place and I applaud you for your determination. Your efforts would be better spent at city commission meetings or by sending emails directly to the department with your name and address so we can respond to your concerns. Thanks, again, for remaining concerned about our department and its activity. Involved citizens help make us a better police department. Utilize the appropriate channels and help institute some real change if the changes are justified! Good luck with your efforts.

Stay safe!!!!

12-19-2007, 01:38 AM
How ominous of you.

12-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Guest 9,

Lol! I'm not sure how that post was ominous, but perception is reality, so I won't argue the point.

I can understand your exasperation. Probably more than you think. Most people who are frustrated with a government entity, like streets and drainage or code enforcement or even the police department, experience feelings of helplessness and anger. Particularly if you've tried to get something done and were met with resistance. Knowing how desperately aggravating the experience can be, I can't blame you for coming onto this website and attempting to do what you're doing. The website is completely anonymous, affording you the opportunity to vent your frustration and speak your mind without fear of confrontation or perceived consequences. I say "perceived consequences" because I know for a hard, cold fact that this city not only allows, but encourages and invites debate from its citizens. There are citizens within our great city who have pursued personal causes which, to others, seemed completely ludicrous, and they were always afforded equal time and ample opportunities to make themselves heard. They were not always successful in achieving their goals, because some of them were unrealistic. But they were always heard - and NEVER with any consequences, so long as they followed state laws regarding lawful assembly and the established decorum for personal conduct at city functions. So, again, I would encourage you to continue your quest to make positive changes within your city's police department and make yourself heard on issues important to you (and potentially other citizens). But I would encourage you to do so in a manner that might actually produce results.

From reading your posts I can tell you are an educated, well-spoken individual who has at LEAST a basic understanding of the functions of city government and the workings of a city police department. As such a person, I also know that deep in your heart you realize you will not make any real changes by doing what you are doing on this website. This is simply an outlet for your frustration, but a pointless one. For the most part, the folks on this website (myself included) have no more influence over policy and practices than the man on the moon. You're barking up the tree, but the 'possum left an hour ago. What's more, this website was initially developed to afford LEO's the opportunity to share information and help keep each other safe from all threats, both physical and legal. For many of the departments listed here it has unfortunately degraded into nothing better than the bathroom wall at a truckstop. The site is undermining teamwork, unity and trust amongst law enforcement officers throughout this county and I believe it is damaging to the profession. But all of that is another topic entirely. You are contributing to the problem, not helping, by posting on here. Lastly, you haven't really influenced anyone's behavior or thinking. In an earlier post, which you abandoned for some strange reason, I merely pointed out facts which I had already known to be true. You haven't changed my opinion on any of the items you addressed. As for the very small minority of officers who engage you in juvenile name calling, they are not representative of our department. They are the two percent who exist at every organization in the country. Hopefully my coworkers reading our dialogue will recognize this truth and choose to rise above those few two percent-ers.

I will no longer debate you on any points regarding your opinions of how we do our jobs. Frankly, I'm not qualified to do so. Those concerns should be addressed at a level well above mine. Most importantly, Confucius eloquently pointed out that you shouldn't argue with fools. People can't tell the difference. I'm certainly not implying that YOU are a fool. On the contrary, I believe the opposite. But your actions here on this website are foolish if for no other reason than their frivolity. I will, however, continue to encourage my fellow officers (presuming it's really an actual police officer making these silly posts) to ignore your attempts to engage them in behavior which embarasses the department.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I use this board because it's here, it's free, it's read by people, and it is primarily about issues concerning LPD. I don't think I've violated any of its rules. I can't tell if I hit a little too close to home for you or if you just enjoy defending the indefensible. In any case, my motives shouldn't concern you, the suggestions and ideas should. The subjects I choose to speak about are of concern to any tax payer, city or county. The proper utilization of staff is a very big and expensive concern. If you are not a policy maker, then don't wander into an area for which you can not speak. My message is for anyone to listen to or not, but if the elected officials read this, they need to quiz the senior police person to determine if there is anything to what the poster says. What difference does it make what forum these ideas are presented on?

12-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Curtis Holmes, are you still bitter about that election???

12-20-2007, 01:05 AM
I can't decide if it is Curtis Holmes or Steve (still pre-op) Stanton. Either way, the opinion is worthless. The Largo Police Department does an outstanding job each and every day. Don't let anyone say otherwise. Real "constructive criticism" won't be found on this board. Steve, if you are reading or writing, go away. You were without a doubt the worst thing that EVER happened to the City of Largo.....even before your announcement.

12-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Nice post chief.

12-21-2007, 12:23 AM
You must have a personal vendetta against the chief. You've called him out on several items. Be an adult and confront the man with your problems.

As far as the difference the forum makes, well Pokey, that's simple... you're a coward and are afraid to present your "ideas" directly to the people that matter. So you enjoy the anonymity of this website where you can taunt and criticize from behind closed doors. As Staples says, "That was easy." Next question.

I'm actually thrilled that you choose to vent here on this website, which no one, and I do mean NO ONE, takes seriously BECAUSE of the anonymity factor. I'm glad you aren't taking your hairbrain arguments to the newspaper or newschannels or the city commission or the chief. The chief actually pays attention to emails, phone calls and letters he receives from citizens. This nonsense? This is a joke for him to laugh over while he sips his morning coffee. Or have you already tried to be heard at those other forums and been dismissed? What's that I smell? Oh, it's rejection and frustration.

PLEASE keep spinnig your wheels in this quagmire of a website. It occupies your time and keeps you from doing any real damage. :D :D

12-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Are you his mother, he needs your help?

12-22-2007, 05:50 AM
No, but I am YOUR mommy. Get off the computer and clean your room, junior. You're going to get grounded.