PDA

View Full Version : Constructive topics anybody?

12-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Does anyone have anything constructive to pass on? How about some useful information relevant to our jobs? Or something that might help out day to day in the field?

Our board has turned into a shark-like feeding frenzy. We are doing nothing to improve our already downtrodden image (or morale) by engaging in this kind of nonsense.

Lets keep the personal attacks out and keep useful information sharing in.

12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
I agree. Let's keep this one thread completely free of bashing. That includes critiquing someone's spelling errors too.

12-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Agent:

You seem to have a good focus, good attitude and positive mindset. Unfortunately, people close to you will see that as a threat and try to undermind you. If you take the position that people should do something productive to justify their wage you will become a monster in their view and it won't take long before they paint you as a misfit. None of that matters if you have but one confidant who shares your views and supports you when the going gets tough. Take my word for it, things will get bad but in time it all comes to pass. The only thing that really matters is knowing that you've done your best. It's one of life's greatest disappointments to have someone you truly thought of as a friend to become the Judas that sees the opportunity to advance at your expense but believe me, it will happen. One key to success in the field of enforcement is to develope contacts in as many agencies in your area as possible. You're in a position to help them with problem businesses because of your administrative authority and if they complain about a particular establishment work it jointly with them or adopt a case that they have referred to you. Alway follow up and let them know the results of any adm. case that you made resulting in a fine, suspension or whatever the outcome and it will enhance your reputation within the law enforcement community. It's also a good personal feeling and soon you will become ABT in their circles. It's a 2-way street and once you've accomplished that reputation in the law enforcement community you'll be surprised at the respect you have among them and the good things that come your way. Stay away from inner-office and Division politics. Those people in Tallahassee come and go with time. Your true friends are the ones that you see on a day to day basis but be cautious there also because there are those who try to advance at the expense of others. If you encounter a supervisor that fits the mold of what Abraham Lincoln said then follow that persons lead:

“A man may conduct himself
well in both adversity and fortune, but if you want
to test his character, give
him power.”
~Abraham Lincoln

My experience with ABT was that it was (at times) the best job in the world. There were times of course when it was the worst but I attribute that to matters overwhich we had control. We ourselves brought about the misery but if you're able to seperate yourself from the negative and stay above the pettyness you'll take pride in your work and the results will become obvious to those around you. Remember that you underwent a microscopic background investigation and that you were chosen over the other applicants that you were competing against and that means something. Take pride in your position and do as we did in the past, be strict but be fair and your reputation in the industry will be respected. Things may have changed from the time when I was there but I hope not to the extent that what I say here is meaningless. Your posting jumped out at me because it was on a positive note. For the sake of ABT I hope you're not alone.

Wise MOnkey

12-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Does anyone have anything constructive to pass on? How about some useful information relevant to our jobs? Or something that might help out day to day in the field?

Our board has turned into a shark-like feeding frenzy. We are doing nothing to improve our already downtrodden image (or morale) by engaging in this kind of nonsense.

Lets keep the personal attacks out and keep useful information sharing in.

Sure, ask the "PBA Employee Forum" who met. I heard they had about 300 things to pass on....and a long as they met..overnight...at tax payer's expense to resolve "problems" they should have had 500 items to pass on. Hate to sound negative...

12-15-2007, 04:17 AM
It is NOT the PBA emloyee forum, simply an agency forum made up of agents, one of which happens to be the PBA rep. Yes, they did discuss several topics and you will see the results of that meeting in a few days so I've been told. The director wanted something good to come of this forum, but some people want to make it a negative idea.

12-15-2007, 06:03 PM
It is NOT the PBA emloyee forum, simply an agency forum made up of agents, one of which happens to be the PBA rep. Yes, they did discuss several topics and you will see the results of that meeting in a few days so I've been told. The director wanted something good to come of this forum, but some people want to make it a negative idea.

If you have a chain you have a forum. If you have a problem follow the chain. Yep it is that simple or should be. Bottom line this forum was created with the PBA Rep in mind who does this job full time while on the clock. She is very sneaky about how she conducts herself too. She calls office after office wanting the scoop. She has called me several times wanting the "scoop" about our office, Lt, Capt. and Major. Why?! She talks too much too all about other peoples businesss. Wake up this forum is just another way to collect a pay check, room and board from the State and tax payers to conduct union business. Its illegal, everyone knows it and in time will be reported as the document trail builds. Business dicussed with the union or their reps is to be done off the clock at no expense to the State. I wonder why the Department and Human Resources approved this "forum" when we have plenty of paid "managers" to take care of "problems." Here is my message just make sure all the minutes of these expensive meetings are kept in order cause when the requests for public records start the public will want to know all the particulars to include the reason for such a "forum." Cant wait.

12-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Yeah...right?! And AB&T really does not enforce alcoholic beverages and tobacco laws!

12-15-2007, 06:18 PM

That aint what some of the "voted" in "forum reps" said their impression was! By the way, was Ms. PBA voted in by her region or was Ms. PBA just appointed head forum?! As everyone is saying its a PBA forum and just another way to conduct union business on the clock and for many to go around the chain. I agree with the other poster save everthing. All documents to include the cost of this union forum, the room and board and gas and oil and perdiem spent for it is all public info. Its almost sounds like a collective bargaining meeting in itself.. very interesting.

12-16-2007, 02:12 AM
I think that over the past ten years or so we have kinda developed into two different agencies. We have some folks who know a lot about bev law and pend time enforcing its provisions. These agents tend to operate at a slower pace but are very thorough in their work. On the other hand we have people hired since the PB2 era where numbers have been the rule. It seems to me that most of the agents from this group are very motivated but spend 90% of their time enforcing two or three statutes. You can see how polarized we have become by how different Regions, Districts, Offices and even squads operate. Somehow we need to bridge the gap between these two groups. This is just an opinion but you see it all over the agency. Half the agency wants more blue lights and crown vics, the other half wants Mustang's, Honda's and other non-police cars without any hardwired equipment. Half want rifles, half want only the trusty .38 revolver on the ankle. Ultimately, these sides need to come together, or at lease learn to co-exsist. The aggressive "kid chasers" (and I mean that term with love) could benefit a lot from learning about the history of this agency. Learning a little bev law wouldn't hurt either. And the old-timers (again, with love) could use a little fire under their butts. Don't just shake your heads at one another and criticize one another behind closed doors. My point is that we have to learn to develop one another and create a positive work environment for all. And it needs to start with the managers and supervisors. Set the tone, lead by example and restore pride to this agency. Agents, break new ground! Be innovative and aggressive. Everybody, gain new perspectives. exercise some patience and prioritize whats really important. We have a great opportunity here to make some positive change and to correct a bunch of wrongs. Lets not screw this up. We need to take advantage of what we have and stop sweating the small stuff (and most of it really is small stuff).

12-16-2007, 07:27 PM

If you have a chain you have a forum. If you have a problem follow the chain. Yep it is that simple or should be. Bottom line this forum was created with the PBA Rep in mind who does this job full time while on the clock. She is very sneaky about how she conducts herself too. She calls office after office wanting the scoop. She has called me several times wanting the "scoop" about our office, Lt, Capt. and Major. Why?! She talks too much too all about other peoples businesss. Wake up this forum is just another way to collect a pay check, room and board from the State and tax payers to conduct union business. Its illegal, everyone knows it and in time will be reported as the document trail builds. Business dicussed with the union or their reps is to be done off the clock at no expense to the State. I wonder why the Department and Human Resources approved this "forum" when we have plenty of paid "managers" to take care of "problems." Here is my message just make sure all the minutes of these expensive meetings are kept in order cause when the requests for public records start the public will want to know all the particulars to include the reason for such a "forum." Cant wait.

Three agents were allowed to stay over night due to the distance, 2 from the south and 1 from the pan handle. How about we do a public records request for your cell phone to determine if you are turthful about phone calls about your Lt., Capt, and Major. I personally think you are mad you weren't chosen by your peers and have to lash out at someone...poor you.
If you want things to get better, start by being a better person and talk about things you only have facts on. Do a public records request and you'll find your PBA rep takes annual leave and uses her POV while doing PBA business. Do you want the job? I bet she'd be glad to let you have it for all the grief she gets. Do the right thing, call her and say to her in person what you've said here. No?.....didn't think you had the nerve.

12-17-2007, 01:47 AM
I do not have problems at my office, with my supervisors or my coworkers. If I do I know how to resolve them..with them and without whinning all over the state wasting time and $$$$. I will tell her nothing and keep pretending like she is my pal...I like it when she calls around being nosy. Annual leave my behind...she does it fulltime on the clock and everybody knows it! In time my friend in time.

12-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Was she voted in by her region as the region rep or is she the Gran Pupa of the "Employee Forum" cause she is Ms. PBA?

12-17-2007, 02:17 AM
To get back to the orginial request for a positive posting, there are some good things going on. Training is going to become more regional so we can get the high liability stuff done without having to travel to Pat Tomas. If you agree with the director or not, she is giving us some hope. She at least comes around to the offices and talks with us as if we are intelligent.
Some of the more out landish supervisors have been told to straighten up, some will, some won't. We'll have to wait and see. If we all can at least try to stop all the negative comments about each other and concentrate on making this a great place to work things will get better. Simple minded...maybe, but what can it hurt.

12-17-2007, 11:56 AM
To get back to the orginial request for a positive posting, there are some good things going on. Training is going to become more regional so we can get the high liability stuff done without having to travel to Pat Tomas. If you agree with the director or not, she is giving us some hope. She at least comes around to the offices and talks with us as if we are intelligent.
Some of the more out landish supervisors have been told to straighten up, some will, some won't. We'll have to wait and see. If we all can at least try to stop all the negative comments about each other and concentrate on making this a great place to work things will get better. Simple minded...maybe, but what can it hurt.

Sounds like you have all the answers, I admire you! :roll:

12-18-2007, 01:46 AM
You are a funny guy. No one has all the answers.

12-25-2007, 12:39 AM
You are a funny guy. No one has all the answers. :cry: :cry: :cry: