PDA

View Full Version : No Visible Tattoo SOP

12-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Has everyone signed for their new Uniform SOP? Better photograph your tats by Dec 31th or be prepared to wear long sleeves for the rest of your career!

12-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Has everyone signed for their new Uniform SOP? Better photograph your tats by Dec 31th or be prepared to wear long sleeves for the rest of your career!

PLEASE ALLOW ME TO GIVE YOU A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON THIS MATTER. THIS NEW TATTOO POLICY IS THE BRAINCHILD OF THE RECENTLY PROMOTED SPECIAL ENFORCEMENT DIVISION COMMANDER MAJOR SCOTT MASINGTON. THE CITY OF CORAL GABLES UNFORTUNATELY CREATED THIS POSITION ESPECIALLY FOR MASINGTON WHO SKIPPED THE RANK OF LIEUTENANT. THE SPECIAL ENFORCEMENT DIVISION HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN SATISFACTORILY LED BY THE PATROL DIVISION COMMANDER (HUDAK) AND HIS LIEUTENANT. CGPD LEADERS THEN BOTCHED UP THE APPLICANT VETTING PROCESS FOR THIS NEW POSITION BY OVER LOOKING AN INCIDENT INVOLVING MASINGTON AND A SUBSEQUENT COVER UP. SOMEHOW, MASINGTON GETS PROMOTED. IT WAS AMAZING TO SEE! ONE DAY HE'S A FELON, NEXT DAY HE'S A MAJOR!!! SINCE BEING PROMOTED, MASINGTON HAS DONE NOTHING GOOD FOR ANY OF THE SPECIALIZED UNITS. IN FACT, HE HAS DESTROYED THEIR MORAL BY TAKING AWAY EVERY PERK OR INCENTIVE THE SPECIAL UNITS HAVE FOUGHT FOR OVER MANY YEARS. NO DOUBT HE'S JUST TRYING TO COMPENSATE FOR HIS UNNECESSARY AND OVERINFLATED SALARY BY TAKING $$ AWAY FROM SPECIALIZED UNITS! NOW GETTING BACK TO THE TATTOO ISSUE. RELIABLE SOURCES TELL ME MASINGTON LIKES TO TELL A STORY ABOUT A MIAMI-DADE COUNTY OFFICER WITH FULL SLEEVE TATTOOS WORKING OFF-DUTY AT THE MALL. MASINGTON THOUGHT IT LOOKED UNPROFESSIONAL SO HE WANTED TO PUT A POLICY IN PLACE BEFORE ANY PROSPECTIVE CGPD APPLICANTS WITH FULL SLEEVE TATTOOS GOT HIRED OR BEFORE ANY CURRENT CGPD OFFICERS DECIDED TO GET MORE TATTOOS. SO MASINGTON HAS A "UNIFORM COMMITTEE" MEETING AS THE STANDING UNIFORM COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN TO SUPPOSEDLY GET A FEEL FOR WHAT OFFICERS THOUGHT ABOUT TATTOOS. COMMITTEE MEMBERS SUBSEQUENTLY TOOK INFORMAL SURVEYS AND RECONVENE SEVERAL WEEKS LATER WITH THE RESULTS. THE GENERAL OPINION WAS MOSTLY NEGATIVE. MOST OFFICERS FELT TATTOOS SHOULD NOT BE ADDRESSED OR WRITTEN INTO A CGPD POLICY. MASINGTON RECEIVES THIS INFORMATION AND PROMPTLY WIPES HIS POSTERIOR WITH IT. SO NOW CGPD UNIFORM S.O.P. HAS MASINGTONS POISON FASCIST TATTOO POLICY IN IT.

THANK YOU MAJOR SCOTT MASSSSSSINGTON!! AKTUN!!

12-10-2007, 10:31 PM
IT'S A GOOD THING MASSSSSSINGTON DIDN'T WRITE A NEW SOP PROHIBITING HAIRLESS TONGUES BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ANY HAIR ON MINE!

12-12-2007, 11:11 PM
No Tattoos, no zones, 12 hour shift, closed leave book, what's next?!?!?!

12-14-2007, 06:33 AM
It's not so much the new policy that I object to. It is the typical "back door" fashion in which that it was instituted! I vaguely hear rumours that SM was attempting to insitute this based on his own predjudices, but never thought that I would become policy. I also wonder how uniformly this policy will be carried out.

12-14-2007, 11:11 PM
contact your union the city can not just chnage this policy it fall under terms and conditins of employment and must be negotiated witht he union.

12-14-2007, 11:14 PM
contact your union the city can not just chnage this policy it fall under terms and conditins of employment and must be negotiated witht he union.
That isn't what the union has said. According to them case law sides with the Department, and there is nothing they can do about it!

12-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Have him call the Miami lodge Armando handled it over there. The can do it but have to talk it over and come up with an agreement on the policy just can not impose it in you guys.

12-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Heard a rumour that no one wants to have their ink photographed!!

01-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Struck someones nerve exposing SM for the alcoholic hypocrite he is?

Hes worried about tattoos but he eats psycho meds like candy.......and he passes judgement on other people?

I better stop before he comes trying to kick my door in the middle of the night as well.

Go crash your bike again you midget.

01-04-2008, 10:34 PM
isnt the Lt getting hitched? :roll:

01-04-2008, 11:21 PM
What's up with the new e-mail from SM regarding the Tattoo issue? it says you have until Jan 7-11 to document your tattoo's to him. I ythought it was to go to the training section? And, I thought the date was Dec. 31st? Has no one submitted any photo's to training, and now he is stressing out?!?!

01-06-2008, 12:56 AM
ALL department personnel will meet privately with the Major by appointment only. You will be required to strip completely while he searches for tattoos. There may be a committee formed to perform these checks on a monthly basis. I am currently volunteering to check all female Officers. On second thought........................................... .........................scratch that!!!!

01-06-2008, 12:58 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!!! SUMMER IS GOING TO BE HOT!!!!!!

01-06-2008, 01:27 AM
ALL department personnel will meet privately with the Major by appointment only. You will be required to strip completely while he searches for tattoos. There may be a committee formed to perform these checks on a monthly basis. I am currently volunteering to check all female Officers. On second thought........................................... .........................scratch that!!!!

the guy officers are hotter than the chicks!! :lol:

01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Whats the point in having a forum that allows people to speak openly about the problems their agency is having if someone can just come in and erase everything and anything people post?

So someone doesnt like whats said about someone.....even if its true, so they just delete the post?

Whos got their fingers on the controls of this place?

Stinks like CGPD admin at the helm.

01-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Obviously it wasn't someone from out IT department.

01-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I wish I had saved all of the posts that have been deleted from this topic!!! Just when they start to get good, they disappear.

01-08-2008, 08:26 AM
There's really no point I guess. Anything said here is basically preaching to the choir.

Its not like people dont know that the admin here, like the ......., are the most hypocritical A-holes imaginable. His past is so checkered with problems and crap it pathetic but some how now he gets to judge us from his high horse?

This city is spiraling down the drain and the best fix he can come up with is a policy on tattoos? We are already suffering from a decline in moral that has reached epidemic proportions and he's doing nothing but trying to find ridiculous and petty ways to drive the wedge between the troops and admin even deeper. He's also doing a damn fine job of proving that the powers that be have no desire to fix our problems....their only desire is to fulfill their own petty agendas.

Bravo my man....bravo.

:roll:

01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh yeah, if anyone thinks that its OK to delete this stuff simply for the personal nature of the attacks, remember this......they attack us personally every single day. Simply due to their rank and the irresponsible way they sling their authority around (idiotic policy like this is a petty but prime example), they attack us. Worse though, their attacks can cripple our personal lives. They sit up on their thrones and have their little power grabbing roundtable meetings and make decisions over our work lives that are driven by their own personal agenda.

Does anyone think that half the people up their have our best interest in mind? Isnt that why those positions exist.....to further the department and the personnel's needs?

Whatever.

01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow! Trouble in paradise?

Now, from the police officers' perspectives, what are the issues affecting your morale? The tattoo policy? Even the United States Marine Corps has instituted a policy that prohibits tattoos in certain visible areas, e.g. the neck and below the short sleeves. That seems prudent. What else is affecting morale? Time for a new chief?

01-08-2008, 10:21 PM

Now, from the police officers' perspectives, what are the issues affecting your morale? The tattoo policy? Even the United States Marine Corps has instituted a policy that prohibits tattoos in certain visible areas, e.g. the neck and below the short sleeves. That seems prudent. What else is affecting morale? Time for a new chief?

read all the other post! oh, sorry, they have mostly been deleted!

01-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Maybe I'm from another era, but are Gables cops being forced to work overtime with no compensation? Are your hours being changed under the operational necessity contractual clause to avoid paying overtime? Is the administration unreasonably denying career enhancing schools or not paying for those career enhancing courses? Is the administration threatening to take away your take home car? What is the administration doing to affect your morale so adversely? So far all I've read is just whine!

01-09-2008, 12:54 AM
OLDCOP: It's more cheese than whine you big dumb duffass. Now, please go back into retirement and plant some more pretty smelling flowers in front of your castle. Lord knows stinky CGPD could use it.

01-09-2008, 01:23 AM

Maybe I'm from another era, but are Gables cops being forced to work overtime with no compensation? Are your hours being changed under the operational necessity contractual clause to avoid paying overtime? Is the administration unreasonably denying career enhancing schools or not paying for those career enhancing courses? Is the administration threatening to take away your take home car? What is the administration doing to affect your morale so adversely? So far all I've read is just whine!

the more you give the city the more they want and TAKE! times have changed and we the po's need more $ and respect from our employer

01-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Is this the most deleted posting in this forum!?!?!

01-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Coral Gables FOP, take a look at this:

http://fop.net/servlet/display/news_art ... he=2116464 (http://fop.net/servlet/display/news_article?id=681&XSL=xsl_pages%2fpublic_news_individual.xsl&nocache=2116464)

01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Police taking tattoo ban to arbitration 01/15/2008

A long dispute between the police chief and the union goes to the federal level

By JORGE VALENCIA | Special to The Sun
January 13, 2008

The Anne Arundel County police officers union is taking its challenge of a ban on visible tattoos to a federal arbitrator after months of disagreement with the department's administration.

In hopes of negotiating a new policy, officials with the Fraternal Order of Police have met three times with the chief, Col. James E. Teare Sr., since he began requiring officers to cover up their body art.

The union president said Teare's only concession was to spare tattooed officers in long-sleeve uniforms from wearing ties.

Cpl. O'Brien Atkinson said the chief told union officials that the department was simply clarifying a policy on grooming and appearance.

"If there's an officer that has a tattoo that is offensive or indecent, the department should take action," Atkinson said. "But to make a blanket policy which affects our narcotics departments and other officers doesn't make sense. I mean, we have officers who have Tigger from Winnie the Pooh."

At question is whether the department is required to establish a specific policy on tattoos in its force or whether it can regulate them under existing rules.

"What we are saying is that there is an obligation to negotiate over working conditions, and this is clearly a working condition," Atkinson said.

Teare said he had no comment before litigation in the case.

County Executive John R. Leopold, who has not taken a public stance on the issue, also declined to comment.

Several jurisdictions in Maryland have imposed similar bans, as have at least a dozen departments nationwide in states including California, Oklahoma and Connecticut.

In Connecticut, the Supreme Court upheld a ban that was challenged by a group that said it infringed on the First Amendment right of freedom of expression. In other cases, departments cracked down on displays of tattoos after complaints that some were offensive.

Larry Harmel, executive director of the Maryland Chiefs of Police Association, said some chiefs "look at it and in some cases see the tattoos are very inappropriate and they don't feel it presents a professional image."

"Just like there are hair restrictions and they have a uniform, they want you to project professionalism," he said. "Maybe they're taking issue with it now because this is the 21st century and tattoos now are becoming more prevalent."

According to a recent study from Ohio University and Scripps Howard News Service, about 30 percent of Americans ages 25 to 34 have tattoos.

In the county Police Department, which has 686 sworn officers, the new policy affects at least 20 officers and probably many more civilian personnel, Atkinson said.

Teare distributed a memo June 22 saying that department personnel would be required to cover any visible tattoos with long-sleeved uniforms or remove the tattoos.

Tattooed officers quickly complained to the union because they had to wear long-sleeved winter uniforms in the summer heat. The union filed a grievance within the week.

The federal arbitrator will mediate a hearing in February or March. The decision would be binding.

Atkinson estimated that the county might spend "in the tens of thousands of dollars" of taxpayer money during the mediation. The union would spend about the same amount, he said.

"We're putting everything we can behind this," he said.

Copyright © 2008, The Baltimore Sun

01-27-2008, 01:54 AM
In the county Police Department, which has 686 sworn officers, the new policy affects at least 20 officers and probably many more civilian personnel, Atkinson said.

We have a fraction of this many Officers, and probably have more than 20 that are/were affected, but nothing is going to change!

01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
what if you have a tattoo on your leg? can you get kicked off the bike patrol? :shock:

01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Mandatory long pants!!!! :roll:

01-28-2008, 11:08 PM
what if you have a tattoo on your leg? can you get kicked off the bike patrol? :shock:

not if your a SGT :shock:

02-06-2008, 02:58 AM
ain't that the truth about EVERYTHING in CGPD. Staff and associates never abide by their own rules when it's to their disadvantage and/or detriment.

02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
ain't that the truth about EVERYTHING in CGPD. Staff and associates never abide by their own rules when it's to their disadvantage and/or detriment.

Hey! leave Mr. long out of it :P

02-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Found this after doing a little research on the topic:

OC police can keep their tattoos

OKLAHOMA CITY Oklahoma City police officers can keep their tattoos without having to cover them.

An arbitrator has ruled the police department can't enforce a policy prohibiting new tattoos and requiring existing tattoos either be removed at the officer's expense or covered with long sleeves, makeup or a bandage.

Fraternal Order of Police president Randy Kirby says the ruling came after an officer filed a complaint when he was ordered to cover a tattoo.

Police Chief Bill Citty instituted the policy last year in what he says was an effort to create a standard and professional appearance for all officers.

Kirby says the policy was adopted without being negotiated with the F-O-P.

Citty says the issue is now in limbo while he negotiates with the F-O-P on an acceptable compromise.

This was posted on the OKC FOP 123 Website:

Tattoo Issue Resolved

The Tattoo Issue has been settled by the arbitrator in favor of the FOP and our members. President Kirby reports that the decision was handed down last Thursday, February 15, 2007. Thanks to all that helped settle this issue. There will be more information on this matter later. Watch the web site for updates.

Funny what a little research will do when it comes to prior case law siding with the Officer's!

02-07-2008, 06:43 PM
As long as SM has instituted his bullshit policy, i'm gonna install my own. I say that in order to be a cop you have to be at least 5'9 tall...LOL :P

02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
As long as SM has instituted his bullshit policy, i'm gonna install my own. I say that in order to be a cop you have to be at least 5'9 tall...LOL :P

come on! I'm 5'7..........and i'm on ur side! :cry:

02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I wonder what the punishment is for not following the policy? It's not really spelled out in the SOP. Lots of SOP's are violated on a daily basis with no repurcussions.

02-09-2008, 12:13 PM
you might have to write an essay explaining your dirty little actions!

02-09-2008, 10:13 PM

Hey! leave Mr. long out of it :P

I always knew Mrs. Long wore the pants in the relationship anyway!!!! :twisted:

02-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Do straight guys put Tattoos on their legs?!?!?

02-12-2008, 08:58 PM

Do straight guys put Tattoos on their legs?!?!?

nope, thats called a ***** strip

02-19-2008, 03:58 AM
Hey fellas - I am with Davie PD and am a Sgt. with a full sleeve ( well I was just fired last month after having a heart attack on duty but that is another story).... Our Chief put a similar General Order in place a few years ago, but it said no new visible tattos were allowed, and everyone who had them before were grandfathered in.... Our FOP never really fought it because no one pushed the issue - but like yours - the discipline wasn't spelled out if you violated this GO.... good luck...... and btw, when I researched this around the country, it was divided about 50-50 for the courts siding with with the PDs vs the unions.......

02-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Update on the Maryland case:

Police tattoo policy heads into talks

ANNAPOLIS - A new policy that requires county police officers to cover their tattoos while on duty is going to arbitration this month.

A third-party arbitrator was selected from the Federal Mediation Conciliation Service in early December to decide whether the county Police Department's new policy instituted in June should be scratched until terms are negotiated with the Fraternal Order of Police, said Officer O'Brien Atkinson, president of FOP Lodge 70.

Union representatives are trying to coordinate a hearing date with the county Office of Law, Officer Atkinson said. He expects the hearing will be held this month.

The arbitrator will only rule on whether the mandatory wearing of long sleeves during hot months is a working condition - and if the county has an obligation to negotiate it before instituting the policy.

03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
What few people know is that a certain Lt on the 2nd floor is the one that came up with the tattoo idea. Since he really doesn't supervise anyone he is out of the spot light.

03-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Let me see if I undestand the inner workings of CGPD.

Rip the city off for thousands in artificial overtime = QRU
Cause thousands of dollars worth of Criminal Mischief without reporting it to anyone = QRU
Spend $625.00 on crappy watches, and charge it to someone else's city issued credit card = QRU

Visible Tattoo = Unprofessional

If I remove my Tattos, and my ethics will I go further here!?!

03-05-2008, 08:07 PM
YES

03-06-2008, 05:50 AM
CORAL GABLES
Gables police told to cover up tattoos
Gables police officers can't have exposed tattoos or have body piercings.
Posted on Wed, Mar. 05, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY ELAINE DE VALLE
edevalle@MiamiHerald.com

MIAMI HERALD FILE
A Coral Gables Police officer rides a new Harley Davidson motorcycle after the department switched from BMW to Harleys.The Coral Gables Police Department is recruiting strong, young, energetic men and women with law enforcement in their blood -- and no visible ink on their skin.

A new policy started last November says police personnel who work with the public must cover all visible tattoos and have no tattoos on the head, neck, face or hands.

Tattoos on current employees were grandfathered in ''so long as they are not sexual in nature, profane, lewd, violent, excessive or otherwise harmful to the reputation of the department,'' states the standard operating procedures under ``personal appearance.''

But the policy bans new tattoos that cannot be covered. Photographs must have been submitted by the end of the year to ''catalog'' the body art at the department now.

Also taboo on the Gables force: piercings.

''Department personnel will not wear any item of ornamentation in their nose, eyebrow, tongue or any other location of their body that is visible during duty hours or any duty related function, with the exception of earrings for female personnel,'' the policy states.

``Ornamentation shall include body piercing jewelry, intentional body mutilation or scarring or foreign objects inserted in/under the skin.''

Chief Michael Hammerschmidt said senior staff had several meetings about uniform and personal appearance and changed the policy because of the growing prevalence of tattoos and what he says is still a stigma that associates the art with criminal behavior.

''A lot of people think it signifies a thug mentality,'' said Hammerschmidt, himself unadorned.

``It's not an appearance that we care to give. It detracts from the authority of an officer.''

That is, of course, unless the officer is working undercover in narcotics or vice -- where body art could be an asset.

''If they're working in that capacity, we are not going to mandate that they cover it up,'' Hammerschmidt said. ``Whereas somebody in uniform that the public knows that's a police officer, it has a very different effect.''

But the new policy has not sat well with all the officers.

''It surely didn't go over smoothly,'' said Officer Eugene Gibbons, president of the Coral Gables Fraternal Order of Police.

''There's a good portion of the union membership who is not happy with it because they were either anticipating on getting tattoos or want to add more tattoos to what they already have,'' Gibbons said.

NO COMPLAINTS

Gibbons also said he had received no formal complaints and that the union could not really challenge the change in policy.

``The department has the ability to regulate appearance, unless it is something that would be related to a fundamental right, like religion of something of that nature.''

Officer Greg Russ -- whose right arm is inked from wrist to shoulder in what the industry calls a ''full sleeve'' -- chose to wear a long sleeve shirt rather than have photographs of his tattoos, mostly motorcycle-related and his wife's name in a heart, put in his personnel file.

''I didn't want something that the public could easily access like that,'' Russ said, pointing out the inconsistency with the department's reasoning for the policy.

``Anybody can come in and look at that and look at me in even a more negative light than when I'm on the street.''

In 19 years on the Gables force, Russ said, nobody has ever said anything negative about his tattoos.

''It's always been some kind of ice breaker, especially dealing with kids or teens who think it's cool and you can somehow relate to them,'' said Russ, who patrols on the midnight shift.

UNPROFESSIONAL LOOK

He is also upset that the written policy equates tattoos with an unprofessional look.

''I don't think that's right. I don't look at a guy on the street that has tattoos as instantly a bad guy,'' Russ said. ``Plenty of the guys I know that have tattoos are college-educated, white-collar guys. They just like tattoos.''

Russ is watching challenges to similar policies at departments around the United States and hopes that one in Maryland -- in which an officer has said the policy was not a previous condition of employment -- will set a precedent for him to challenge the city.

''I don't want to be wearing a long sleeve shirt in August,'' he said.

Hammerschmidt said the city used policies from other departments to formulate its own.

''We are not the only agency doing this,'' he said.

03-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately he might not be around to witness this new creation of his! I found out by the actual person that purchased the watches, that other items were purchased. More like a total of $2000.00 in purchases. Wow the things you hear in the basement restroom!

03-07-2008, 07:47 AM
If i have a tattoo on my ****, who takes the picture? :P

03-13-2008, 12:26 AM
If I get a Tattoo of a $20.00 watch on my arm will I be in violation of the S.O.P.?

03-13-2008, 12:27 AM
If I get a Tattoo of a $20.00 watch on my arm will I be in violation of the S.O.P.?

If you get that Tattoo and pay for it with someone elses P-Card it will be QRU!!!!!!

03-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Good link to CBS4 story. Iraq Veterans, and US Flags!!! Way to go Gene!

http://cbs4.com/video/?id=51508@wfor.dayport.com

03-20-2008, 11:11 PM

I guess we will have to have the photo enlarged.

03-21-2008, 05:50 AM
I would be more than willing to inspect any tattoos any one has Gables!!!! has the hottest cops in this city saw 4 of them this morning and don't even get me started on the moter men they are smoking hot!!!!! :D

03-21-2008, 05:53 AM
If i have a tattoo on my ****, who takes the picture? :P I will....lol :twisted:

03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
did you see the gay ones too? :oops:

03-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi guys im new at this...

WHat does SOP mean?

Also,,,,

Hello guys,

I just past the assesment , I was wondering if this department allows anyone with Full sleeve Military tattoos

I just spoke with a police officer from MPD and he mentioned he has been granted a Grandfathered becuase he has been with MPD since 93 as he had some visible sleeve tattoos, So, Would I now be disqualified to continue my process with MDPD as I have full visible sleeve tattoos?

And if so can I state that I want to wear a long sleeve uniform?

Any info will help me guide what department is ok with visible tattoos so I can apply and allow any candidate have visible tattoos. :? :idea:

Also, if there are any laws , news , articles about this please send me some info. Thanks and looking forward to several responses

03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Hello guys,

I just past the assesment , I was wondering if this department allows anyone with Full sleeve Military tattoos

I just spoke with a police officer from MPD and he mentioned he has been granted a Grandfathered becuase he has been with MPD since 93 as he had some visible sleeve tattoos, So, Would I now be disqualified to continue my process with MDPD as I have full visible sleeve tattoos?

And if so can I state that I want to wear a long sleeve uniform?

Any info will help me guide what department is ok with visible tattoos so I can apply and allow any candidate have visible tattoos. :? :idea:

Also, if there are any laws , news , articles about this please send me some info. Thanks and looking forward to several responses

04-11-2008, 07:15 AM
DUDE! Do yourself a favor and run (FAST) away from this Department. The no Tattoo policy is just the tip of the iceberg of just how f'ed up this place is. It doesn't matter if you wear long sleeves (you'd have to) or not, you will be looked down upon by a good majority of the staff because you have a lot of ink.

04-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Update on the Maryland Arbitration

Ruling on police tattoo policy still weeks away

In meantime, officers have to keep them covered

By HEATHER RAWLYK, Staff Writer

Published March 26, 2008

Six days before county police switch to seasonal short-sleeved uniforms, an arbitrator said it would be weeks before he'd rule on a new policy that requires officers to cover tattoos while on duty.
In the meantime, officers with tattooed forearms will have to wear long sleeves as the spring and early summer temperatures continue to climb. Officers with tattoo-free arms have the option of switching to short-sleeved uniforms on Sunday, said Sgt. John Gilmer, a county police spokesman.
Arbitration began Monday for the new tattoo policy, which was instituted in June to ensure officers are portraying a professional image on the job, said Officer O'Brien Atkinson, president of FOP Lodge 70, the union that represents officers.

County Executive John R. Leopold and police Chief James Teare would not comment on the arbitration. They said it would be inappropriate to comment until a ruling is made.

At the end of the hearing Monday, the New Jersey arbitrator gave legal teams for the battling sides 45 days to submit their post-hearing briefs. He also set a ruling deadline of June 5 - about two weeks before summer officially begins.

And they likely will continue to have to cover their body art for a short time after the ruling is made, even if the decision is in favor of union officials, who say the policy involves a working condition and should have been negotiated with the union.

That's because the arbitrator will not decide whether tattoos are professional. He will only rule on whether the mandatory wearing of long sleeves during hot months is considered a working condition - and if the county has an obligation to negotiate the working condition before instituting the policy.

The arbitrator, chosen from a list of nine arbitrators in the mid-Eastern region in December, may come back with a recommendation about how to implement the new policy, Officer Atkinson said.

Or, he might leave it up to the union and police department to negotiate. The arbitrator also may rule in favor of the county. If that happens, the policy stands.

The union's labor attorney will not give the name of the arbitrator until post-hearing briefs are turned in May 5. It would be "inappropriate" for the man to be contacted before a ruling is made, he said.

Officer Atkinson said he had hoped a decision would have been made before temperatures rose. He filed a grievance with Chief Teare within a week after a memorandum was issued June 22 - which announced a new policy requiring all sworn officers, civilian volunteers, animal control and bike patrols, to cover all tattoos, body art and "body mutilation" while representing the police department.

He met with Chief Teare three times, requesting the policy be withdrawn and that terms be negotiated with the union.

Officer Atkinson was optimistic when the arbitrator was chosen in early December, and expected a hearing in January, well before temperatures began to warm up.

But the arbitrator had a packed schedule and couldn't hear the arguments until Monday.

"Our summer uniform kicks in five days from now," Officer Atkinson said. "Luckily, it's chilly right now. But I don't know how May and June are going to look."

He said the arbitration could cost county taxpayers and the local police union thousands of dollars by the end of the battle.

04-19-2008, 01:54 AM
I want to get a tat of all the brass names on my cornhole

04-19-2008, 01:23 PM
ouchhhhhhhh

07-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Update to Maryland Arbitration:

Right to bare arms
Arbitrator says cop tattoo policy must be negotiated
By HEATHER RAWLYK, Staff Writer
Published June 27, 2008
For the first time in a year, county police officers with tattooed forearms are able to wear short-sleeved uniforms to stay comfortable in the sweltering heat.

An arbitrator ruled this week that a policy requiring civilian and uniformed officers to cover tattoos while on duty should have been negotiated with the local police union before being instituted last summer.

Col. James Teare Sr., chief of county police, sent a memorandum to his staff Wednesday rescinding the policy initiated in June 2007 "effective immediately."

The police chief was ordered to negotiate the terms of any new tattoo regulations with Cpl. O'Brien Atkinson, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 70.

Chief Teare has been in touch with Cpl. Atkinson, but is yet to schedule negotiations, said Sgt. John Gilmer, a county police spokesman. He said the police chief agreed to abide by third-party arbitrator Robert T. Simmelkjaer's decision.

"The general public should understand that this fight has not been about tattoos, but about respect for our collective bargaining and the rights of our police officers," Cpl. Atkinson said.

Immediately after the policy was put in place, Cpl. Atkinson filed a grievance with the police chief. He said requiring staff to wear long sleeves in the hot summer months is a working condition - and the County Charter requires changes in codes pertaining to working conditions to be run through the union before implementation.

But Chief Teare has said the policy isn't a working condition, just an update of grooming and appearance guidelines.

He said police officers must represent the public in the "best light" and be approachable by the public. He said some tattoos are "offensive" to certain ethnic groups and others are "symbolic of gangs or groups associated with illegal activity."

The union countered that wearing long sleeves while conducting traffic control, a foot patrol or chase in 90-degree weather is certainly a working condition. And that for more than 20 years before June 22, 2007, there was no requirement that tattooed officers be covered.

Cpl. Richard Colmus testified he's had a spider tattoo since 1979, and the police department was aware of his body art when he was hired. He has never received a public complaint about his tattoo.

He said having to wear a long-sleeved shirt in the summer was uncomfortable.

Officer Brian Williams said he didn't have a tattoo when he was hired seven years ago, but had his left arm inked in 2005.

When wearing long-sleeved uniforms in the summer, Officer Williams said he would have to carry a towel in his patrol car and sometimes go behind buildings to change shirts because his sleeves were "darkened with sweat."

Occasionally, the officer would go back to the station to change uniforms because he was so soaked from the heat.

The descriptions of physical discomfort during officer testimonies convinced the arbitrator that the tattoo policy, unlike grooming regulations, directly impacts officer's working conditions, and thus should have been bargained.

The tattoo arbitration, which began March 24, came down to a case of fairness, Cpl. Atkinson said.

"Officers who were hired by the police department with tattoos or who received tattoos in the absence of a policy, felt that they were being unjustly punished by being forced to wear long sleeves during hot summer months," he said. "In addition to the comfort issues, many officers considered the mandatory wearing of long sleeves in the blistering heat as a scarlet letter - a sign that they had done something wrong, or had something to be ashamed of."

Most police officers said they are proud of their tattoos.

"Some are memorials of loved ones, family members, or reminders of tragedies such as Sept. 11," he said.

Before being ordered to cover tattoos, Cpl. Atkinson said most officers reported having positive interaction with the communities they served stemming from their body art.

He said he wishes he and the police chief could have come up with a compromise in the three times they met before going to arbitration. But he's happy with how things turned out.

"It is unfortunate that we had to spend literally tens of thousands of dollars fighting this issue, but we are thrilled that the police officers and the duty to bargain with employee representatives prevailed," Cpl. Atkinson said.

Is the Coral Gables FOP going to follow their lead?

04-05-2010, 05:50 AM
If you have tattoos past your elbows suck it up. Im sleeved and wear long sleeve shirts year round in 115 plus temps. I have found at first its very hot but your body will get use to it! I have fellow police officers on my department who now wear long sleeves all year long as they have seen me come out of calls covered in blood but protected by my uniform for the most part. Where I think there is an issue is when someone wants to become a police officer but is turned away just because of a tattoo... They should be asked if they are willing to wear long sleeves up front and if so there should be no more talk about it. People with tattoos are treated like minorities were back in the 50's. Im a disabled retired (Medical) vet who has been a police officer for over four years and now must find a new career (Relocating) outside of law enforcement because of my tattoos. I love my job but close minded people have destroyed my ability to continue to proudly serve my fellow americans!!!!!!

04-16-2010, 02:06 AM
so if you are transitioning from the marine corps and want to be a fairfax county police officer they wont hire you because of visible tattoos?
if that is the case than they might as well tell the recruiters to stop going to transition briefs because 90% of marines have visible tattoos and 100% of the infantry has visible tattoos if not sleeved.
0311 infantry marines get tattoos it is just something that has been a tradition in the marine corps since quadalcanal and have always made outstanding police officers after they left the corps.
why the change now?

05-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Anyone with a military tattoo should be given a pass on them and hired, PERIOD. But the Supreme Court ruled back in 1980 or 81, that governmental entities, have the right to say what their officers look like while working. That case was over goatees on a dept in Long Island. So the arbitrator is wrong. It isn't a contractual thing per the U S Supreme Court. IF you hired with the Tattoos, they will have to grandfather you in. But if the city of coral gables wants you in Pink uniforms, no facial hair, or anything else, it been decided ALREADY.

06-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Del Valle will check it for you because he is a FAG!