PDA

View Full Version : Trimming the fat....

11-30-2007, 04:20 AM
HCSO is in the same trouble USF is in. No money for workers/patrol but, plenty of money for salaries for people sitting behind a desk all day, who have been taken care of for the majority of their career! Trim the fat! Take care of what the University Community really needs, more officers and decent wages!

12-11-2007, 02:47 AM
Another BS, is hiring people retired from other agencies (eek! short on new patrol hires the way it is!) that usually don't have much enthusiasim to work for the most part anyways, and won't produce crap once they are hired, but they seem to move right into the jobs that the people that have been here for years might like to get but get screwed out of. New hires should have to put their time in on patrol period!

12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Hiring retired officers sounds like the only way your agency is going to get or retain experienced officers. The benefits package and salary USF offers attracts new recruits fresh from the academy or ones unable to get hired anywhere else. A retired officer is already drawing one pension so the pay is not the same issue with them.
Someone who's only law enforcement experience is USF rarely gains experience in working a wide variety of crimes and working different positions. Retired officers frequently have this knowledge and experience and are able to use it to benefit USFPD. If you are griping because you have been there for years and have not moved up, it could be someone is better qualified than you. Five years working USFPD does not give you the same level of experience or knowledge as 2 years at most Police Depts or Sheriffs Depts. Many retired officers have worked the street and/or as a detective for 20 years or more. Their knowledge has not changed just because their place of employment has.
Instead of looking at these officers as newbies needing to "pay their dues", look at them as resources. You may find they have been there and done that and know what needs to be done and what doesn't.
FYI, I do not work at USFPD.

Another BS, is hiring people retired from other agencies (eek! short on new patrol hires the way it is!) that usually don't have much enthusiasim to work for the most part anyways, and won't produce crap once they are hired, but they seem to move right into the jobs that the people that have been here for years might like to get but get screwed out of. New hires should have to put their time in on patrol period!

12-12-2007, 02:19 AM
Well said. It seems the new officers want what we paid 25-30 years to get in the trenches. I have worked my share of mids, afternoons and all holidays.. started pay at $7200.00 per year and ended up with a great staff position making six figures... it was the worst job I ever had... politics and BS constantly. I was much happier doing my major crime /homicide cases. I have been retired for 16 months and going back to an investigations job within the month ! The grass is not always greener. Officers need to like what they are doing or move on, no one forces them to stay anywhere.!

12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I THINK THE POINT OF THE POSTS ARE THAT THIS AGENCY CAN BE A GREAT PLACE FOR ALL AGES TO WORK, HOWEVER THIS UNIVERISTY DOES EVERYTHING IT CAN TO MAKE THIS AGENCY UNBEARABLE. WE THEN MUST HIRE MOSTLY RETIREES, INSTEAD OF A GOOD MIX OF ALL TYPES.

TO BE HONEST BESIDES A FEW, THE RETIREES HAVENT WORKED OUT ALL THAT GREAT EITHER, THEY GET HERE AND REALIZE THAT WE DONT JUST HANG OUT AND REQUIRE THEM TO WORK AS WELL

12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I think that the only people who can afford to stay here are the retired LEO's and young single people. Living on just a USF paycheck is almost impossible without another income.

Our next problem is that as more people leave officer safety will become a bigger issue.

12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
The last post is so true, you can't can't afford to work here. There is no pay scale. Us new people that got hoaxed into signing a contract, a contract that didn't hold up to it's promises. Is the contract valid? I would say no! You have to be in the upper half of the department to make a decent living, single with no bills, or retired and living off of another income!. On top of that you have to have a perfect evaluation and no discipline to even get the money on a yearly raise! What BS! City and County give better raises and you need a standard evaluation to get the annual raise! Applicants beware! I for one, with the rest of new hires got a big hoax!

12-17-2007, 12:54 AM
TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, COMMING FROM THIS AGENCY THAT GIVES PAY RAISES ON "PAY FOR PREFORMACE", IT WILL ALWAYS BE SUBJECTIVE. IT IS BASED ON HOW TIGHT YOU ARE WITH THE PERSON DOING YOUR EVALUATION, PERIOD, RATHER THAN A FAIR EVALUATION OF HOW YOU PREFORMED TO STANDARDS THAT YEAR. A REAL PBA CONTRACT (WHICH YOU ALL DON'T HAVE OR PROBABLY WILL NEVER GET) WOULD FOLLOW THE OTHER LOCAL AGENCIES REQUIREMENTS ON THIS. YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THE OTHER LOCAL AGENCIES CONTRACTS TO SEE HOW BAD YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED. FROM STANDARD EVALS, TO REQUIREMENTS FOR MASTER PATROLMAN.

12-17-2007, 05:34 PM
To bad your evaluation was not based on your spelling "PREFORMANCE" when you were here. WAY TO GO GENIUS.