PDA

View Full Version : Letting the Cat Out of The Bag in the K-9 Unit

policeman
11-29-2007, 04:41 AM
The Lakeland Police Department's K9 unit recently had a big K-9 competition with dogs from all over the United States participating. The K9 guys have done this several times before over the past twenty years. They knew the long hours and the sacrifice would be great. They were also aware that their bosses expected them to work those hours without compensation. All agreed, informly, to those rules of giving of themselves and their time without getting compensated. All except the Sargeant, Ed Cain and their Lieutenant, Joe Henson who hatched a dirty little secret to get paid themselves. They both ended up getting overtime pay for a large portion of their time over the 8.4 hour days they worked. This was a secret deal that was supposed to have been kept a secret from the K-9 Officers. The Sargeant flat out lied to some of his troops and denied knowing anything about the overtime issue when it came out.
The Lieutentant was the acting Captian who approved the overtime for the sargeant when the overtime was submitted so no one was the wiser, the K9 guys were in the dark, the K9 Captain was in the dark and the Sargeant got hundreds of dollars of compentsation for his efforts. The Lieutentant got thousands.
Both supervisors were rightfully entitled to overtime, but they certainly didn't want his K9 guys to have any for all their hard work.
Now that the cat is out of the bag, the K9 Captian has threatened to pull all training monies away from the k9 unit for 2008 and prohibit the unit from traveling to any more K9 events. He says it's to avoid the issue of costing the city overtime.
The K9 officers are getting punished because the Sargeant and the Lieutenant chose to get paid, the K-9 guys get punished without getting paid. Both supervisors lead the their men to sacrifice without compensation while they stuck their own hands out time and time again. They're not happy that their cat got out of the bag and now they have egg on their faces with the K-9 officers. Both men are lairs and tried to pull an underhanded operation and keep their own men from knowing about it so as not to raise a stink...TOO LATE FOR THAT ONE BOYS !!!

11-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow,

You'd thing someone would get re assigned for that.

11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Did the sgt. and lt. put in as much time as the acutal k-9 officers? Did they do tasks on their own off duty time? Did the officers ask for the overtime? If the superiors get paid, why shouldn't the officers get paid also? Didn't they do double duty by competing and working at making the trials something that Lakeland P.D. could be proud of? Can or will anyone answer these questions?

11-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Everyone, including the Sargeant and lieutenant worked overtime to accomplish the mission of hosting the event. There's no issue about that. The issues are that the K9 officers were told in no uncertain terms that this operation would require a lot of work from each of them to include sacrificing their off duty time, which would not be compensated with overtime pay. All the K-9 officers accepted the conditions and still wanted to play host for the K-9 event because they love the competition so much.

The sargeant and lieutenant worked for the money they're asking for, but denied the K-9 officers the same priviledge. They didn't turn away any overtime submissions, because they had already layed the ground work in the K9 meetings so none of the K9 officers would have even considered submitting overtime requests.
They tried to keep their own overtime a secret from everyone, but especially from the K9 officers because they knew what they were doing wouldn't look good. One of the K9 officer did submit overtime once he found out about the lieutenant's overtime, but withdrew it after Captain Tom Day announced in an email to the k-9 unit that he was preparing to pull the unit's entire training budget and deny them any travel to K9 event sever again.

Officers have the right to be compensated for their time but Captain Tom Day has made it clear that by trying to get compensation, K9 officers will be punished by getting their training budget taken away and by not getting to compete with the police dogs. Captain Day's threatening email was enough to force that one officer to withdraw his overtime requests. This scare tactic cost this officer thousands of dollars in compensation.

11-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Sounds like the fine Sgt <cough, cough>, the Lt, and the fine Capt are SCUM BAGS to me :)

11-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Geeee, and you wonder why I go to work, get out of it what I can for myself, do only what I have to do to get by, and dont really give a flying $hit about this city or the people in it!!!

11-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I think Day is trying to pull a fast one....

IF he pulled k-9's training budget and then a k-9 handler was sued; he would be called on the carpet during the trial (because it would come out he pulled the funds) and HE would then be liable.

Sometimes as an officer, you have to throw the cards on the table and see where they go.

Why can't PBA also address this" Isn't this type of stuff what they are here for?

Lonewolf1
11-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Captain Tom Day announced in an email to the k-9 unit that he was preparing to pull the unit's entire training budget and deny them any travel to K9 event sever again.

Tom Day is a vindictive POS if anything doesn't go his way he holds it against the person forever. That is part of the Debbie Henson, Harry Katt approach to leadership.

He seems to forget the crap he pulled back in the day when he was in K-9 and partying hard and still getting paid overtime. How quickly they all forget once they start sitting in that ivory tower. Fortunately there are some of us that still remember.

Hey Tom, tell us about the Big O parked next to all the K9 cars at the old Holiday Inn on Memorial Blvd servicing all the k9 officers and their dogs.

11-30-2007, 06:27 PM

IF he pulled k-9's training budget and then a k-9 handler was sued; he would be called on the carpet during the trial (because it would come out he pulled the funds) and HE would then be liable.

Sometimes as an officer, you have to throw the cards on the table and see where they go.

Why can't PBA also address this" Isn't this type of stuff what they are here for?

The funding which was threatened to be pulled was the money used to attend regional and national USPCA qualifications and trials. It would not effect their training and qualification, they would just have to do it locally. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a chicken chit tactic but at least talk to one of the k-9 guys and get your facts straight before posting.

11-30-2007, 08:31 PM

The funding which was threatened to be pulled was the money used to attend regional and national USPCA qualifications and trials. It would not effect their training and qualification, they would just have to do it locally. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a chicken chit tactic but at least talk to one of the k-9 guys and get your facts straight before posting.

I read this post and am amazed that the sgt and LT would conspire to screw their own employees. These officers are so commited to their agency and their job that they work at this event on their own time to gain money for the agency. This money was not for themselves it was for the agency to spend on training for the entire unit. This only betters the agency and not each officer privately.

Also the event itself generated money donations for the purchase of more canines. Again, for the agency not at all benefiting any of the canine handlers personally. The only possible benefit these canine handlers can receive is better and more training with the money earned. Again this benefits the agency more than the individual person. They are guilty of wanting to do a better job and took it upon themselves to earn the money to get it done. No other unit in the entire agency has done this much for the agencies benefit without compensation.

All of this work and benefit completely tainted by two selfish individuals. If they were real men they would stand up and admit there conspiracy and work to get the agency to atleast let the handlers use the money they earned to get more and better training.

To relate this to canine I think the Captain has some misplace aggression he is punishing those that did not put in for overtime, did not violate any of the written or un-written agreements. The two that did intentionally violate the agreement get paid and zero punishment.

The Captain needs to use his head and punish the appropriate people and reward those that have worked hard to create a great public image, better the agency and improve their own personal job skills to better protect the public. Which ultimately is what we all are supposed to do.

The Captain better hope that the public who worked for donations and actually donated money to the Lakeland Police Department Canine unit dont find out that the money is not going to the canine unit.

Captain, get your head out of your a$$ and focus on the real bad guys in this incident and punish the SGT and Lt.

11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
LMAO! Hey, Lonewolf1 ... do tell us about Tom and the "Big O" at the old Holiday Inn! Gawd, I haven't heard the Big O mentioned in years!

11-30-2007, 11:06 PM
There isn't another unit within the LPD that has generated an event that benifited the economic growth of the city like the K-9 unit recently did. There were well over 100 dogs from across the country at this event. Everyone one of them spend money in the city of Lakeland and participated in bringing police dogs once again into the public eye in a positive way.

The public donations amounted to thousands of dollars for LPD K-9 training and equipment. The K-9 guys did their jobs and held up their end of the bargain like real men. They all gave of their own time, expecting no money for their efforts. These guys wanted to earn money for their advanced training and to buy better equipment, so they sacrificed as a team to get the job done.

I wonder if those supervisory/management schools teach supervisors how to talk officers into working overtime without getting paid for it, yet still get yours? I wonder if they have any special techniques on how to sleep at night knowing that once your dirty little secrets are uncovered you've lost all the respect of your men?

Hey, Sgt. Cain, when you were an officer and you worked the 1997 National K-9 event there in Lakeland, did you put in for overtime then too. Of course you didn't, no of the guys did. You're a weak man, Cain, very weak.

12-01-2007, 07:35 PM
If you believe for one second that Sgt. Caine isnt in it for himself then you are sadly mistaken. First of all he obvioulsy pulled a swerve in order to get a dog in the first place. Sgt's do not need dogs nor should they be working homicides or drug cases. The Sgt's should be supervising their officers and doing what they can to make their officers life at work as easy as possible by acting as a buffer for them. Sgt. Caine obviously didnt do this.

Second, if one of those officers who were putting in time on their own got hurt, who would pick up the bill? ill bet that the city would tell them that they are on their own because they were technically off duty. I guess were lucky that no one got hurt especially since these officer who work k-9's do get bit by the dogs occasionally.

I suppose the honorable thing to do is for Sgt. Caine to do is leave the unit but he doesnt have that kind of moral fiber. I couldnt look my officers in the eyes after i just screwed them over like that. I suppose someone could though. I guess we'll see if that someone "does the right thing".....

12-02-2007, 05:11 AM
this situation is terrible. i hate hearing about hard working cops getting the shaft.

if the money has actually been transferred away from k9 and into the general fund,call the ledger. they love a scandal.

12-02-2007, 01:08 PM
The Ledger? They are more worthless than the third floor.

Sparkie
12-02-2007, 01:16 PM
The Ledger seems to LOVE PCSO; but it's pretty apparent that they loathe the PD. Think about the difference in the kind of press each agency receives. The Ledger loves to throw a negative spin on the PD. Call me cynical but I'm skeptical about ever seeing anything about this latest "scandal" in the local paper. :?

12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
To guest tha posted at 13:27, I was going off this post:

"Captain Tom Day announced in an email to the k-9 unit that he was preparing to pull the unit's entire training budget and deny them any travel to K9 event sever again."

PLEASE KEEP YOUR AGENDA TO YOURSELF

12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
is this being investigated?
hope the k-9 officers get back pay for their efforts.

12-15-2007, 03:01 AM
This is one shitbag agency, railroaded cops, incompetent bosses, lies in internal investigations, inteference in internal investigations, framing other cops.

[b]REMEMBER WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

12-15-2007, 03:25 AM
...framing other cops? Is there something we should know?

12-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Who around here has been "framed" I dont think we have reached the caliber of being able to film a sequel to the Departed with that type of corruption in LPD. As I am sure you know, A Boss, everyone's business is everyone's business around here. After being here for so long, I haven't heard that word being used, which is pretty suggestive. I would guess that you have been subject to an IA, or possibly will be, and feel that others have made up something to "frame" you. Lets be realistic, please.

12-17-2007, 10:48 AM
208, I mean A BOSS, you can't use the same rants here as you do to all of us on the stree and expect no one knows who you are. You might as well post with pride and sign your work. What do you have to lose?

12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
aboss your done....u really should find another line of work before you end up in prison.

12-18-2007, 07:12 AM
208, I mean A BOSS, you can't use the same rants here as you do to all of us on the stree and expect no one knows who you are. You might as well post with pride and sign your work. What do you have to lose?

Funny I don't remember rendering an opinion on this topic; however if you feel that I did I am honored by your concern and comments..

I unlike most people here have no problem signing something that I post.

12-18-2007, 07:14 AM
P.S. - How about you sign your work as well???

Hiding behind guess makes it no fun..

12-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Funny I don't remember rendering an opinion on this topic; however if you feel that I did I am honored by your concern and comments..

I unlike most people here have no problem signing something that I post.

...probably because you resigned yesterday. What respect would you have to lose now that you wouldn't be subject to further riducule from your co-workers after posting your name or ID on comments on your behalf? THE REASON nobody signs their work is that they post comments on OTHER issues on this site that actually DO WARRANT anonyminity. THOSE OF US WHO DO possess the necessary common sense maintain consistency in keeping our comments anonymous in that reprocussions by the administraion or other members is ALWAYS a concern. Do you think we are all stupid that this was the first time you posted on this site with your excuses to the multiple other IAs you have been subject to? You never quite could take responsibility for ALL of your actions which led you into the problems that prompted your "decision" to resign. It's funny to know that the email you sent yesterday to everyone listed your gratitude for those who gave you guidance over your short tenure. It does not seem that you took the real important guidance and applied it when needed, as each time you were released from an IA, you were exactly the same in what you did...TRY and not deny it...YOUR COWORKERS WITNESSED THE LACK OF CHANGE IN HUMILITY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. Not because they didn't like you, but because this job requires COMMON SENSE. EVERYONE heard you ALWAYS complaining on how you were being railroaded each time your jacket grew one, two, three, etc. files bigger. Your name just isn't thrown in a hat by the powers that be and just picked as a continual target....YOU have to make the first move in putting the attention onto yourself. So, your explanation for the newest IAs (PLURAL) which prompted your resignation was orchestrated by the administration who persuaded ANOTHER citizen to file a complaint on your actions???? Maybe you DIDNT post the comment which prompted your reply here, but your continual refusal to accept "guidance" is WHY ANYONE WOULD THINK YOU ACTUALLY DID POST THESE REMARKS. This department SURELY isn't perfect, but don't flatter yourself in believing you were on the "to-do" list...you did it yourself. I truly do hope that you make positive changes for your work ethic and obtain a better willingness to accept the guidance that would have made you excel in this profession. You POSESS the ability to change for the better, but refuse to because of pride. THAT is a fact. Ask the people with whom you have worked with over your employment here if that statement is true, and I GUARANTEE they will agree that it is.

Here is one last suggestion from someone who has a few more years of experience in this line of work...

...try to think of ONLY one person who you think would be to post the above comments...approach them and ask them if they did. If they deny it, or, if you come up with MULTIPLE names, then you might want to realize that everyone else might be on to something. Good luck.

12-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Well said Guidance Counselor! Let's rehire him as a dispatcher...he did seem to have some ability there. But then if I never wanted to trust my life to him on the street, should I want to trust him with it in that role either? We ALL tried to advise, guide, mentor, and help 208 in some form or fashion. But let me sum up the "Saga de 208" :

"What we have here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men."

01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.polksheriff.org/cgi-bin/i080 ... 1998022040 (http://www.polksheriff.org/cgi-bin/i080914?book=1998022040)

01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
What a sad example of brotherhood. Bring up something from a decade ago? Why? To someone who has done nothing but a good job!!
Have you ever written a check the day before payday? Have you ever mailed a check for a bill before the money was in the bank? If not, you are a rare and precious jewel my friend. I think most of us at this agency have been in situations at some point that we wouldn't like brought to light 10, 20 or 30 years later. Very sad!
This is not the aforementioned person, just a concerned, nauseous comrade.

01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I have been watching this site now for the last two months and remained silent.
EVERYONE GROW THE F*** UP. YOU ARE AN EMBARASSMENT!

01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
You all must be very proud of your agency and the way you promote yourself to everyone. Are you guy's trying to get more attention than Grady? I will call Jerry Springer and see if he can fit you guy's in on a show.

01-03-2008, 09:03 PM
To "laughing" - Don't let the minority of ranters here on an ineffective forum color your opinion of the whole 300+ department. Some of us are just reading on here for entertainment value.

01-03-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.polksheriff.org/cgi-bin/i080914?book=1998022040

Whoever posted this is one sad sorry excuse for a human being

What a sad example of brotherhood. Bring up something from a decade ago? Why? To someone who has done nothing but a good job!!
Have you ever written a check the day before payday? Have you ever mailed a check for a bill before the money was in the bank? If not, you are a rare and precious jewel my friend. I think most of us at this agency have been in situations at some point that we wouldn't like brought to light 10, 20 or 30 years later. Very sad!
This is not the aforementioned person, just a concerned, nauseous comrade.

Very well stated

01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
To Guest559:

How cowardly you are to post a link of one of our own and not even have the guts to place your concerns or name on the bottom. I sat on the oral boards for Ofc Lewis. In the numerous boards I have sat on, Ofc Lewis had by far the best interview I have ever witnessed. We knew of this little "thing" in her past when we hired her. Ofc Lewis has done a phenomenal job since being an officer. As an OIC, I can only hope half the officers on my shift had the work ethic and professionalism of Ofc Lewis.

This is embarrassing to all law enforcement officers. I certainly hope you, guest559, are not a law enforcement officer. This is not how we treat our own. Remember...........The thin blue line!

Please have the guts to call me and tell me why you would atttempt to disgrace a solid fellow police officer.

Lt. Ralph Schrader #25
(863) 834-8991

01-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Kudo's to you Lt. for having the guts and character to post your response!!

Officer Lewis is a dear friend of mine, and has handled this incident (post on this site) like a champ. Her only response to this was "I guess some people don't have anything better to do" and she continued to hold her head high and not utter an unkind word about whoever posted that link. She is one of the most honest people I have ever met, and I am very proud to call her a friend.

This information was supplied to LPD at the time she was attempting to be hired on. It's not a news flash.

Let's stop trying to dig up dirt on people....This makes us no better than the criminals we spend our days trying to take off the streets. There isn't a single person who works for this department that doesn't have some little piece of their past they wish they could change.

This is still a good agency, and if you don't believe it, read some of the other posts on the other agency sites. No matter where you work, the same issues exist.

******** To the person who supplied the link to the PCSO site******

You are by far the most hateful human being who has posted on this site yet. You attempted to humiliate someone who doesn't even read this site because she can't stand the things that are being said about her fellow officers and human beings. She is by far the most decent person you will ever meet. You hide behind your "Guest" name because you know if you reveal your identity you will be torn apart by those who know and work with Officer Lewis. If you are a sworn officer, I hope that someday when you need your fellow Officers help, they turn on you like you did to Officer Lewis.

01-05-2008, 02:48 AM
amen....she is a great person and officer.

01-05-2008, 05:24 AM
I agree, she made a mistake, big freakin deal. My friend had a issue like that for a 4 dollar check. I met her on a few DUI sat patrols and intiatives.. she's a great person.

Keep your head up Lewis.. youre a good officer. Dont let this idiot pull you down!!!

S.O.

01-06-2008, 03:06 AM
I hope that everyone that knows Katina is standing up for her. She is one of the best officers that I have ever worked with. It is hard to find good female officer, which LPD is definitely missing, but Katina helps to fill that role. I'm sure that the officers would rather have Katina back them up that some of the male officers. Her work ethic is outstanding and she is a great person. Find something worthwhile to post on this site, don't try to down the hardworking officers that LPD has. There are enough idiots to make for better posts.

Hang in there Katina, continue doing the great job you have always done.

01-06-2008, 03:26 AM
I agree with the support for Katina Lewis. Maybe she will get promoted and LPD will have a female supervisor who has actually been an effective street cop. Since Debbie Moore's retirement that is pretty much non-existent. Katina would be a female supervisor that the veterans would respect because they know she is a hard worker and knows her job unlike the previous female Sgt who got promoted and should not have ever been released to the road to start with. The top floor got what they wanted hope it doesn't come back to bite them, liability!!

01-06-2008, 08:58 PM
I am aware that this is an open forum. However, I do not want to tread into a law enforcement arena without permission. I have read what happens when someone who is not LPD makes a comment. Attack, Attack, Attack for "budding in."
As a local business person who works daily with members of LPD, I would like to speak in support of Katina.
Anyone have a problem with that?
AFOR? Anyone?
I will have the character and courage to sign my name to what I post on here.
Just awaiting a nod of ok.

AFOR
01-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I happen to think that Katina Lewis is one of the best cops I have ever worked with. She has brought honor back to a severely tarnished badge number. I would love to have a squad full of people just like her. Its great to see good people standing up for her.

01-07-2008, 01:19 AM
NOD of OK :lol:

01-07-2008, 02:26 AM
NOD of OK :lol:

We definitely don't mind others posting on this site who are not affiliated with LPD. It is those who do not know the inner workings of our department who want to make comments on what they think we should and should not post about that is a problem.

It is interesting to know that Guest559 has done what they set out to accomplish within this thread...to divert attention from the topic at hand before all this nonsense started. The only thing it did is let everyone know how much we are grateful to have Officer Lewis among us.

01-07-2008, 04:48 AM
To Guest559:

How cowardly you are to post a link of one of our own and not even have the guts to place your concerns or name on the bottom. I sat on the oral boards for Ofc Lewis. In the numerous boards I have sat on, Ofc Lewis had by far the best interview I have ever witnessed. We knew of this little "thing" in her past when we hired her. Ofc Lewis has done a phenomenal job since being an officer. As an OIC, I can only hope half the officers on my shift had the work ethic and professionalism of Ofc Lewis.

This is embarrassing to all law enforcement officers. I certainly hope you, guest559, are not a law enforcement officer. This is not how we treat our own. Remember...........The thin blue line!

Please have the guts to call me and tell me why you would atttempt to disgrace a solid fellow police officer.

Lt. Ralph Schrader #25
(863) 834-8991

Officer Lewis is an exemplary officer. At least she was up-front with her past which is more than I can say for a recently hired Deputy Chief. I am still waiting to hear the outcome of this newly learned information or if it is going to get swept under the rug. If it was anyone else we would have been fired by now.

01-18-2008, 01:33 AM
To Guest559:

Whomever you are, I, at times, like to think of myself as mildly eloquent and try to point out anothers failings with a certain degree of tact and understanding, knowing full well I am not perfect. Lieutenant Schrader wrote a great response and I don't see the need to repeat any of his points so I will go with the first thing that entered my mind when I noticed what you had done. You are an as@hole and can go f$ck yourself.

01-26-2008, 02:23 PM
To Guest559:

This is not how we treat our own. Remember...........The thin blue line!

Lt. Ralph Schrader #25
(863) 834-8991

Nice comment from a Supervisor. Jeesh.

01-27-2008, 02:28 AM
First you try to attack Katina, now Lt. Schrader?!?! You're stupider than I thought! You didn't get the message before?!? God, here we go again...

01-27-2008, 03:36 AM
First you try to attack Katina, now Lt. Schrader?!?! You're stupider than I thought! You didn't get the message before?!? God, here we go again...

No attack here. Just odd that a law enforcement supervisor would encourage the "Thin Blue Line". The public views that as cops covering for other cops. And we wonder why the public is so suspicious of police officers. Duh.

01-27-2008, 05:52 AM
i think you're confusing the "thin blue line" with the "blue wall".

the line represents solidarity and respect for a small group who puts it all on the line for the public.

01-27-2008, 09:55 AM
That's correct. Police officers are the "thin blue line" between order and chaos; between a lawful and lawless society. It does not refer to a conspiracy among police officers to look the other way. It also means we have each other's back, and not to stick a knife into, as the poster and so many others seem to think.

01-27-2008, 12:25 PM

No attack here. Just odd that a law enforcement supervisor would encourage the "Thin Blue Line". The public views that as cops covering for other cops. And we wonder why the public is so suspicious of police officers. Duh.

Maybe thats the problem, the public has no idea what "Thin Blue Line" means. To put it in your simple terms, it is us seperating the good from the bad. It has nothing to do with cover ups or anything of the sort. Why would the Lt try to cover anything up moron, it is over and done with, and he was letting the idiot know what a great cop Katina is and how it was wrong in what they did. So keep your "DUH" to yourself since you have no clue what you are talking about. By the way, the people suspicious of police are usually criminals, law abiding citizens respect what we do on a daily basis.

01-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey who your last word sums up your intelligence.....DUH.

01-29-2008, 04:17 AM
ok. I'll use publicese. We SHOULD hear about all bad things public servants do. Accepting Taxpayers money to bang some coworkers wife, inside the police station, is nauseating. What's his annual salary? Couldn't he do it behind some broke down old building like everybody else? How 'bout the guy that was "missing in action?" Another one humping Taxpayers for a paycheck so he can go play. Ralphie should commend those who have spoken out about wrong doing. The offenders should praise Jesus that The Ledger hasn't published, if true, what gets posted here. It makes LPD look like it run by a bunch of self indulging, self serving loafers who have been in government service so long they think they OWN the department. There. Maybe you can follow that.

01-29-2008, 04:20 AM
Must be more than one definition:

The Thin Blue Line can refer to:

The Thin Blue Line is a colloquial term for police and police forces. The term derives from The Thin Red Line and suggests that a thin line of police officers is all that prevents civilized society from descending into chaos. The Thin Blue line can also refer to the brotherhood of the profession. It shows the bond of police officers, and the symbol is taken very seriously among most police officers.
It is often placed in the rear windows of officers' vehicles and their spouse's personal vehicles. The term is also sometimes used as a pejorative against police who cover up criminal activity of fellow police officers.

01-30-2008, 01:54 AM
No, that's not correct. The Thin Blue Line is just what we said it is. Your last comment about covering up stuff refers to the "Blue Wall" or "Blue Wall of Silence." It would seem that the only ones putting up a wall is the 3rd floor administrators of this department, who couldn't remember what real policework is to save their lives, who couldn't do our job for five minutes, and don't appreciate anything we do.

02-06-2008, 06:04 AM
i think you're confusing the "thin blue line" with the "blue wall".

the line represents solidarity and respect for a small group who puts it all on the line for the public.

Actually, your "thin blue line" has actually gained quite a bit of weight and has been renamed the "thicker, slower blue line with high blood pressure that couldn't catch a cold much less a S31 suspect".

02-09-2008, 05:00 AM
i think i caught a cold from a s31 suspect,does that count?

rsr1953
02-15-2008, 03:29 PM
This is my first time on this site and, of course, the first time to read these comments. I can't help but add my two cents. I have been associated with the department for nearly a year now. As with any organization there are those that bring honor to it's name and those that tarnish it's name.

From the chief on down, most all of these men and women are awesome folk that should have our love, respect and support. Unfortunately, one or two bad officers always gets the most attention, but we seem to forget that nearly all of them are men and women of integrity.

I cannot speak directly to the issues addressed by all the posts of this sight, but I will say that I am proud to be a part of Lakeland Police Department.

I have worked with Lt. Ralph Schrader and know him to be a great person and fantastic cop. And from my perspective Officer Lewis has seemed to be a fine officer as well.

I too have things in my past that I am not proud of. But they are in my past. Her past has evidently been addressed and what matters most is her 'present', not her past. (He that is without sin, let him cast the first stone.)

I do hope that the officers sincerely consider my admonition during the briefings to bring honor on LPD and their own names... to live uprightly and be an example for others. I am a local pastor and a chaplain.
Just as my friends at LPD, my life is held to a higher standard because I represent Something (no irreverence meant... God and the church beiing that Something) much higher than I.

I pray for the department and the fine folk there. I am grateful for the job they do under immense pressure from within and without.

Officers, you are loved and appreciated!

Randall S. Rupert, Chaplain

02-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Thank you for your post chaplain. I hope some on this site see the quality and type of persons that read things on this site and reconsider next time they admonish or type something that truly makes their agency look bad. A lot of it is very embarassing for the agency and the community. I don't know about the rest of you but I wear my uniform with pride and I question the integrity of some wearing the badge based on some of the comments they write. In the back of my mind I hope they are simply imposters acting as officers and not truly officers patrolling our street and backing us up. It's a sad state of (leo)affairs to see some of the comments made on here. If they're not griping about making 50 grand a year they are whining about something else. It's sad. They need our prayers.

02-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Right on Chaplain! And thank you for your support and being there for us!

02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Chaplain, you have spoken the truth thank you

02-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Looks like since Leoaffairs.com was in the Ledger, there's been a lot of Spam on the site. Now what?

03-02-2008, 01:15 PM
OK, OK. Who installed the surveillance cameras in the Mediation Room????

Sysop
03-07-2008, 05:51 AM
Sorry guys, I just became aware of WHERE the Spam was actually located in the Message Board and it has been removed. Sorry for the delay.

For future violations of the Terms of Use, please refer to the following link for a quick resolution:

http://www.leoaffairs.com/forums/violations/

Thanks for your support!

02-21-2010, 03:11 PM
To Guest559:

Lt. Ralph Schrader #25
(863) 834-8991

:snicker: Can I call the Polk County Hilton ? Whats your Dorm , err room number ?

Sorry for the thread resurrection , but my point is proven . The rest of you STAND UP guys and girls , stay safe out there .