PDA

View Full Version : GET RID OF NPFD

11-20-2007, 05:14 PM
North Port firefighters and city near impasse in contract talks
By JOHN DAVIS

john.davis@heraldtribune.com

NORTH PORT -- City firefighters have been working without a contract since September, and with negotiations approaching the one-year mark, North Port and the union are headed toward mediation.

Pay and the number of days in a work cycle are among the issues to be mediated between the city and the International Association of Fire Fighters' local chapter beginning Dec. 3.

"The firefighters just think that the upper management ... doesn't want to go to bat for us," said Tom Truesdale, the union's lead negotiator.

Fire Chief Bill Taaffe is one of the city's negotiators, and Truesdale pointed to large pay increases Taaffe and others in the city's top management received last year as a sore point for the firefighters.

"His pay doubled," Truesdale said of Taaffe, whose pay went up 57 percent last year, to $130,194.

"He's not looking at doubling our pay."

Taaffe's raise was in line with across-the-board pay increases for nonunion city staff and management. And Danny Schult, the lead negotiator for the city, has said that Taaffe's salary is "not a bargaining issue."

The union, meanwhile, has proposed raises of about 10 percent a year for the next three years, plus extra pay for those with paramedic certifications.

The city says the union-proposed raises at the 94-person department would cost millions over the three years of the contract and could lead to increases in the fire assessments on homeowners' tax bills. North Port also contends that its offer, with higher starting pay but lower pay up the scale, is fair and competitive with surrounding areas.

The biggest divide is in what more experienced firefighters and officers should be paid. The two sides are more than $13,000 apart on proposed captains' salaries, and $6,000 apart in annual pay for lieutenants. The city is also pushing for a 14-day pay cycle instead of the current seven-day cycle.

The city and the union plan one more meeting in North Port next week before heading to Tampa to go before a special magistrate, who will compile a report that will go to the City Commission.

The stalled talks mirror troubles the city had settling on a new contract with the police union.

Those negotiations took more than a year but, after city commissioners supported double-digit increases for many police jobs, the two sides reached an agreement without mediation.

The police contract cost North Port $1.4 million to implement last year.

Last modified: November 20. 2007 4:45AM

11-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Why don't you just go away!

mod 352
11-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Our Firemen need our support as well as the community. They do a great job and they have saved more homes in the past years than most people could imagine. Stay strong NPFD!

11-21-2007, 01:39 AM
For the life of me, I can not understand why the fire chief would negotiate against his own men! You guys deserve whatever you can get. We work along side you every day and see the job that you all do! Another Danny boy screw job with Billy boy along side! I hope the mediator laughs the city's proposal out of the room and lets the Commissioners know once and for all what idiots they have running these negotiations! We're all behind you!

11-21-2007, 05:57 PM
they are a joke scfd will be doing fire services soon i bet

11-21-2007, 07:45 PM
The sky is falling!
The sky is falling!
The sky is falling!
The sky is falling!
The sky is falling!

11-26-2007, 06:30 AM
You have got to be kidding, 10 percent a yr for 3 yrs!! Come on guys everyone working for the city of NP is doing fine we dont need to nickel and dime them. Remeber our economy is going down, and the home values in NP are dropping too, Where are we going to get the money for these salaries.
NP pays all of there city employee to much now I think.

11-28-2007, 01:16 PM
i agree, we already pay for the sheriff dept why have a small police dept that only writes tickets and has not even half of the sheriffs depts budget not to mention services.

11-28-2007, 03:28 PM
i agree, we already pay for the sheriff dept why have a small police dept that only writes tickets and has not even half of the sheriffs depts budget not to mention services.

Another post by the same idiot. It will get you no where.

12-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Concerned tax payer: I work for SSO and live in NO PO. You should be glad you have NPPD. If SSO were to cover NO PO your taxes would skyrocket. Instead of having 9-10 officers on per shift( I have no idea how many) you might get 5. You might get two detectives instead of 8. Im thanful for NPPD just as Venice appreciates VPD and Sarasota SPD. You are paying the Sheriff on your taxes for court services, the jail, and civil process. Don't think for a second you would save money without NPPD.

nppdx86
12-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Concerned tax payer: I work for SSO and live in NO PO. You should be glad you have NPPD. If SSO were to cover NO PO your taxes would skyrocket. Instead of having 9-10 officers on per shift( I have no idea how many) you might get 5. You might get two detectives instead of 8. Im thanful for NPPD just as Venice appreciates VPD and Sarasota SPD. You are paying the Sheriff on your taxes for court services, the jail, and civil process. Don't think for a second you would save money without NPPD.

ty.

To the other people.. Just think how long it will take then to respond (with the cut backs) to the family fights that everyone calls the us for, or when u realised your juvenile is out of control, how long it will take someone to respond... SSO DEP is telling the truth, they are short handed as it is now.. THINK ABOUT IT.. People will still get tickets. People will still go to jail.. If its a BS complaint nothing will still be done about it.. We go to work the same way and have the same life as most people (excluding the criminals).. Its a JOB..

12-01-2007, 10:59 AM
well we just want a more professional agency nppd is a junior force to say the lest.

12-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey look everyone! It's that moron again changing his name once more! The only thing you can call yourself a tax payer for is when you actually PAY for something you don't STEAL! Otherwise, to fit under that name, you would have to OWN PROPERTY and a tent doesn't count!

12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
the nice thing is we do get sso services. an sso deputy can do traffic stops in our city and arrest people, which they do alot. they have county wide jurisdiction. we get sso services from their civil process unit, warrants unit, swat, and aviation not mention any deputy residing in our city or passing thru have the power to issue a ticket or arrest. the sso also provide court security and jail services. the sso like all other sheriff offices in flroida provide a vast amount of services to our city tax payers everyday.