PDA

View Full Version : Benefits

11-17-2007, 08:42 AM
I have been a police officer in michigan for the last 10 years and really have no complaints except the weather. I do, however, have a concern about the medical coverage that stops the day you retire. It's like they pull the rug out from underneath you - thanks for the 25 years of service -sorry you wont be able to afford any doctor or medical bills - have a nice rest of your life. I am curious what other states (particularly warm states - Florida, Arizona, Texas, etc...) offer in the line of medical insurance/coverage after retirement. I have read a lot about the Sheriff Office's in florida participating in the state retirement system and how it is supposed to be so great - is it? Anyone with info please let me know.

Carl Shawver
11-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I am retired from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office in Tampa, Florida.

By Florida law when you retire you are allowed to continue the health insurance coverage that you had on the job. However, YOU PAY THE ENTIRE PREMIUM. The county no longer pays any portion of it. For "self and family" coverage that can amount to $800 a month.

Employees ARE part of the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which does not require the employee to pay into the program and which does participate in Social Security. When you retire and reach the appropriate combination of years of service and age you can begin drawing your retirement pay. When you reach Social Security age you can draw that as well. A deputy can become vested in the retirement system in six years and take early retirement, but cannot draw the annuity until reaching the required combination of years of service and age. If you retire and do not begin immediately drawing an annuity you ARE NOT eligible for continuing the health insurance coverage even if you are willing to pay for it in full.

Under FRS you are entitled to a "health insurance stipend" which is computed on the basis of the number of years of service that you worked. I don't recall the exact amount, but it's around $5 for each year so for 20 years of service you get ($5 X 20) $100 a month extra in your pay which is not subject to income tax.

Hillsborough County has a similar health insurance stipend but it ends when you reach the age to qualify for Medicare. If you ever withdraw from the health insurance program as a retiree you can never return.

This is a complex issue and it changes from year to year, so don't take what I say as absolutely accurate. If you are thinking about coming down here contact the agency you want to work for to get full details.

The FRS has also become quite complex with a variety of pension options, including the DROP (Deferred Retirement Option Plan) in which you can establish your retirement and then continue to work (for wages but no increase in your annuity) for an additional five years - at which time you MUST terminate employment.

For more information about FRS go tohttp://www.myfrs.com/content/index.html

The Tampa Police Department participates in a private (Police & Firefighter) retirement system which does not participate in the FRS. Like HCSO, when they retire they have to pay the full premium of their health insurance. I don't believe they get a health insurance stipend.

Also, after retirement if they then take other employment which participates in Social Security and they subsequently qualify for Social Security they suffer a drastic reduction in their Social Security payments under the federal Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).

I think you will find that nationwide most employers are making great effort to reduce their obligations to retirees and one area under assault is the provision of health insurance in retirement.

Best wishes.

11-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the info Carl. I know this is a very complex issue with infinite details but I was looking for some basic answers on the surface of the issue which you provided. I am familiar with DROP, we have it up here and I personally like it. I think you are right about the nationwide trend to steer away from providing medical after retirement. I was hoping to hear how the grass was greener elsewere reference this issue but knew that it probably was not, but you'll never know if you don't look into it. I know every agency will differ on these issues, even agencies within the same retirement plan/system have different details in their retirement plans. Thanks for the FRS link. Overall it seems that things are fairly comparible between Michigan and Florida as far as this issue is concerned. I have been looking at different S/O's down there and think I am still interested in coming down. I would like to continue doing what I am doing now but not freezing to death while I am doing it. Sarasota S/O seems to stand out to me. I guess Ill get with them and see where it goes from there. Thanks again.