PDA

View Full Version : MDPD Dispatchers

11-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Why do dispatchers have attitude problems?
And they think they own intercity when that
channel belongs to all agencies

11-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Why do dispatchers have attitude problems?
And they think they own intercity when that
channel belongs to all agencies
Just blame it all on Anabel! She has an attitude at all times. Got to give her some credit though; she always follows procedure and lets the guys know they didn't follow it when they get on the radio! Like I said in the first sentence; that's usually all the time. lol

11-14-2007, 01:19 AM
The reason they have "attitudes" at times is not because of the individual, but the system in place that creates the person we hear at the other end of the radio. Long hours, few breaks, multitasking like crazy and to top it off, being mandated to work when one of their peers calls in sick. The staffing is horrible! Try to imagine your wife working days there. She needs to leave at 2PM to pick up the kids, get home to make dinner and to take care of her family. Then a supervisor who has no empathy tells them they must work until 10P because the afternoon dispatcher called in sick. After a while this wears thin, but they are still supposed to be cheerful on the radio. Its a tremendously unappreciated job. We should take our hats off to them. most cops couldn't do their job.

11-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Dispatchers have a hard job and most of the time they do it with true professionalism. They multitask great especially MDPD dispatchers. I miss the old headquaters Bldg, when we could take them coffee and other things when we had 39's... even come back and run their tag number from a place like 22 and Ali Baba.. great jokes in the old days, would wake up a midnight lull... So, where is Martha ! Ahh yes... Choir Practice and all ! Love you guys...

04-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I always have a problem with Anabel. I have had to call the shift commander many times because or her! I never had any problems with anyone else.

If you really know a thing or two about police work, and the area that you're dispatching, then you really don't have an excuse to be pissy on the radio or asking everyone to qrx every 10 minutes.

07-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Whats with the one dispatcher always saying "Uhhhhhhh, Qrx" on the air? Anyone know her?

07-14-2008, 05:52 AM
I just would like the dispatchers to stop taking it upon themselves to call out specialized units (aviation & K-9) without them being requested by the road officer or supervisor on the scene.

07-15-2008, 08:31 AM
You mean the one who RAAAAAMMMMBBBLLLLLESSSS on.....Ummm, let me see---I don't know why I have you on this signal....uhhhh................................... .................listen, 2102, mayeb you can figure this out...it looks like the complainant is saying....no, no, no.....hold on.......................................

:roll:

07-16-2008, 11:20 PM
You mean the one who RAAAAAMMMMBBBLLLLLESSSS on.....Ummm, let me see---I don't know why I have you on this signal....uhhhh................................... .................listen, 2102, mayeb you can figure this out...it looks like the complainant is saying....no, no, no.....hold on.......................................

:roll: I LIKE BOTH ANABEL AND THE ONE THAT RAAAMMMBBLLLEESS . ALL OF THE DISPATCHERS SOUND VERY NICE ON THE AIR. REMEMBERS GUYS CALL TAKERS AND DISPATCHERS ARE THE LIFE LINE FOR YOU GUYS. PEACE OUT

07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey GLOCK GIRL! You like METAL or PLASTIC!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

07-26-2008, 08:54 PM
cops complain about dispatchers yet none of them can dispatch or call take. dispatchers are supposed to be professional yet u have rude officers on the streets

07-27-2008, 04:36 PM
cops complain about dispatchers yet none of them can dispatch or call take. dispatchers are supposed to be professional yet u have rude officers on the streets WELL SAID...MY FRIEND .

07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Try saying thank you every once and a while. After you get that info on that 24. Try this "QSL thank you " They have to put up with us and all of our attitudes and impatient BS But as soon as you need a 3-15 they are the ones who drop everything to cover your a$$ !!!!!!!!

07-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Those were the days... the old comms center at HDQTS, taking you ladies coffee and food, running your tags at 22 and Ali Baba, freaking you out.. oh yes the jokes.. and yes choir practice in the mornings... GD I miss those days.. Miss Martha.. and the midnight gang...Right Pedro..

08-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Whats with the one dispatcher always saying "Uhhhhhhh, Qrx" on the air? Anyone know her?

Sometimes they are getting info on a call and while trying to listen to two people talking, you might miss important info. Telling us to qrx let's them concentrate on one thing. Folks, good dispatchers keep us alive. No drama. It's the truth.

08-06-2008, 06:28 PM

Sometimes they are getting info on a call and while trying to listen to two people talking, you might miss important info. Telling us to qrx let's them concentrate on one thing. Folks, good dispatchers keep us alive. No drama. It's the truth.

yeah guys i know it's hard to believe, but yes even Anabell keeps us alive. She just does it with one of the nastiest attitudes known to mankind :cop:

Unregistered
06-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Anabel keeps us alive when s--t hits the fan. I'd prefer the attitude rather than an inept dispatcher when an officer is calling 315s or has been on a 19 for 25 minutes without a QRU check.

Unregistered
06-12-2016, 11:41 AM
I love Anabel and other dispatchers with attitude. Frankly, I find it entertaining as ever. I wish all the dispatchers were that way.

Unregistered
06-12-2016, 07:13 PM
I love Anabel and other dispatchers with attitude. Frankly, I find it entertaining as ever. I wish all the dispatchers were that way.

If people knew how to talk on the radio they would be ok with anabel. But they don't.

Nobody from Nowhere
06-12-2016, 09:24 PM
The reason they have "attitudes" at times is not because of the individual, but the system in place that creates the person we hear at the other end of the radio. Long hours, few breaks, multitasking like crazy and to top it off, being mandated to work when one of their peers calls in sick. The staffing is horrible! Try to imagine your wife working days there. She needs to leave at 2PM to pick up the kids, get home to make dinner and to take care of her family. Then a supervisor who has no empathy tells them they must work until 10P because the afternoon dispatcher called in sick. After a while this wears thin, but they are still supposed to be cheerful on the radio. Its a tremendously unappreciated job. We should take our hats off to them. most cops couldn't do their job.

Very intuitive post

I did 2 tours in CB. one as a sgt and one as a lt (12 years apart)
yes the calling out is a nightmare when it happens but
the supervisors are not without empathy, they are the ones tasked with the difficult job of telling someone something that no one ever wants to hear/that they are mandated. after all its just a mathematical equation, it does not allow for supervisory flexibility. Being on the road is different with late calls and 330s and stuff (not always a full 8 hour extension), it's nothing like what they have to endure.

And yes none of US (cops) could ever remotely do what they do as well and competently as they do it (with the few exceptions of the ones who became cops, why not talk to some of them and get the perspective from both sides of the radio ------- instead of only one side/the road side/or the disp side)

They are so unappreciated you cannot fathom it unless you actually work there (and I say that as someone who was only observing, because I was not call taking or dispatching and I NEVER got mandated). As much as you/we think cops are underappreciated nowadays, the PCOs and PDs are much more underappreciated by us cops than we ever were by the civilians. and what makes that soooooo sad is that in their case it comes from within the Department, at least as cops our problem is external (citizens) and believe it or not, that makes it easier to compartmentalize.

If you have no call taker, there is no call to send to the dispatcher, and if no dispatcher, no way to get the call to the PO. let's face it, the job is to protect and serve, how you gonna serve if you can't receive calls?

and yes some people have attitudes, but I guess nobody in PO land ever went to a call and flamed-out on the public, right? that NEVER happens does it?

These people (I know that's an unpopular term, but I want to cover both job descriptions) take their jobs very very seriously. ESPECIALLY THE OFFICER SAFETY PART. I used to tell them that really each officer it trained in the academy and in FTO the aspect on officer safety and the first obligation for officer safety is really with the officer. they are there to help/assist/support, but POs are out there in the real world and must make officer safety OUR OWN first priority.

lastly, if you could get to know them (you can't, there's too many and the dept isn't structured to facilitate that) you would see how truly hardworking and DEDICATED (to you the PO) they are. Trust me, I've seen it with my own 2 eyes, when the guacamole hits the fan, they are nothing short of stupendous! To just stand there on that shift commander console and watch how they handle one of the really bad situations is awe inspiring---------------you don't get to know or be aware of a lot of it cause they'll just stand up and shout to one another what they need where-------kind of quicker/more efficient that way. they are absolutely amazing.

God bless them all, every day, every shift.

And yes, prior to working there, I WAS one of the alpha-hotels on the radio. but we can all exercise a little contrition now and then, can't we? Father (PD or PCO) forgive me for I have sinned.

and just remember, when you call the shift commander to complain or whine-----------these are his or her SQD or Platoon members (cause sometimes its the LT filling in for the SGT), just think for a minute, how would you want your SGT or LT to react to those incoming PCs. Yeah, I thought so.

Just my $0.02-------------thank you for your support (Bartles & James)

Unregistered
06-17-2016, 01:03 AM
I just would like the dispatchers to stop taking it upon themselves to call out specialized units (aviation & K-9) without them being requested by the road officer or supervisor on the scene.

Amen to that!

Unregistered
06-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Very intuitive post

I did 2 tours in CB. one as a sgt and one as a lt (12 years apart)
yes the calling out is a nightmare when it happens but
the supervisors are not without empathy, they are the ones tasked with the difficult job of telling someone something that no one ever wants to hear/that they are mandated. after all its just a mathematical equation, it does not allow for supervisory flexibility. Being on the road is different with late calls and 330s and stuff (not always a full 8 hour extension), it's nothing like what they have to endure.

And yes none of US (cops) could ever remotely do what they do as well and competently as they do it (with the few exceptions of the ones who became cops, why not talk to some of them and get the perspective from both sides of the radio ------- instead of only one side/the road side/or the disp side)

They are so unappreciated you cannot fathom it unless you actually work there (and I say that as someone who was only observing, because I was not call taking or dispatching and I NEVER got mandated). As much as you/we think cops are underappreciated nowadays, the PCOs and PDs are much more underappreciated by us cops than we ever were by the civilians. and what makes that soooooo sad is that in their case it comes from within the Department, at least as cops our problem is external (citizens) and believe it or not, that makes it easier to compartmentalize.

If you have no call taker, there is no call to send to the dispatcher, and if no dispatcher, no way to get the call to the PO. let's face it, the job is to protect and serve, how you gonna serve if you can't receive calls?

and yes some people have attitudes, but I guess nobody in PO land ever went to a call and flamed-out on the public, right? that NEVER happens does it?

These people (I know that's an unpopular term, but I want to cover both job descriptions) take their jobs very very seriously. ESPECIALLY THE OFFICER SAFETY PART. I used to tell them that really each officer it trained in the academy and in FTO the aspect on officer safety and the first obligation for officer safety is really with the officer. they are there to help/assist/support, but POs are out there in the real world and must make officer safety OUR OWN first priority.

lastly, if you could get to know them (you can't, there's too many and the dept isn't structured to facilitate that) you would see how truly hardworking and DEDICATED (to you the PO) they are. Trust me, I've seen it with my own 2 eyes, when the guacamole hits the fan, they are nothing short of stupendous! To just stand there on that shift commander console and watch how they handle one of the really bad situations is awe inspiring---------------you don't get to know or be aware of a lot of it cause they'll just stand up and shout to one another what they need where-------kind of quicker/more efficient that way. they are absolutely amazing.

God bless them all, every day, every shift.

And yes, prior to working there, I WAS one of the alpha-hotels on the radio. but we can all exercise a little contrition now and then, can't we? Father (PD or PCO) forgive me for I have sinned.

and just remember, when you call the shift commander to complain or whine-----------these are his or her SQD or Platoon members (cause sometimes its the LT filling in for the SGT), just think for a minute, how would you want your SGT or LT to react to those incoming PCs. Yeah, I thought so.

Just my $0.02-------------thank you for your support (Bartles & James)

Whomever wrote this truly knows and understands the workings of dispatch. Well said. It is a shame the glimpse of that place that you are trying to show, so they can understand and develop some empathy/appreciation, will go unnoticed.

As much as PO's think they are the center of the universe, the reality is if that bureau ceased to function so would they.

As you have said the structure of th department is not conducive to having all PO's spend time at the center, so I suggest that all of you try and go by sometime and spend a few hours there observing, getting to know your other unseen squad members and apprciateing how difficult and frustrating their job is.

Unregistered
06-18-2016, 05:54 PM
God Bless the dispatchers and call takers. They do an amazing job under stressful conditions.... they care about our safety more than we do at times.

I couldn't do that job.

They deserve more pay and benefits, not to mention more appreciation and respect from us.

Unregistered
06-18-2016, 07:33 PM

absolutely true, the moral in that place has been sucked dry by mismanagement, supervisors that don;t care hiring the wrong people and as the post above says the system. I am absolutely surprised that more don't break down not only from the stress of the job but also the internal stress.

the lazy ruin it for the rest by creating more work and longer hours ( unplanned extended shifts and being mandated) we have some amazing dispatchers who absolutely are burnt out but in a crisis, an real no shitter give me Annabel, lynn, lisa Mrs Hall (forget ur first name :(, mercy and many many others because they will absolutely get you home.
most of us will never know how much they stress about our safety, many are in relationships with cops

do they throw tude, absolutely is it always on sided, no but again they are only human. and most will discus a fked up call with you later if your polite