PDA

View Full Version : Clubs

11-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Miami herald today gave stats for responses to clubs

620 police calls to cafe iguana in 2.5 years, why does the city allow this? do you respond anywhere else with this frequency? 40 times to Maribou? if you went to a residence that many times what would you do?

This is far different from accidents, alarms, shoplifters at the mall so if there is a reason it's allowed please let everyone know. IF code enforcement went to a location that many times it would be gone, it's a nuisance. I know $$$ is a huge factor somewhere in this but how about a supervisor speak up to the herald and explain to the residents that were in the article what the p.d. is doing to control it?

11-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Miami herald today gave stats for responses to clubs

620 police calls to cafe iguana in 2.5 years, why does the city allow this? do you respond anywhere else with this frequency? 40 times to Maribou? if you went to a residence that many times what would you do?

This is far different from accidents, alarms, shoplifters at the mall so if there is a reason it's allowed please let everyone know. IF code enforcement went to a location that many times it would be gone, it's a nuisance. I know $$$ is a huge factor somewhere in this but how about a supervisor speak up to the herald and explain to the residents that were in the article what the p.d. is doing to control it?

Why don't you complain about something worth while like the amount of traffic lights in Pines and how 75% of them turn red when you get to that intersection. Cafe Iguana is not as bad as the paper is trying to portray. A good majority of case numbers are police service calls, trespass warnings, or someone under age trying to pass another's id to gain entry. These are the things that are brought to the detail officer's attention by employees. Do you really think the door guy at Maribou is gonna tell the detail officer about a kid trying to offer someone else's id to gain entry? Or that marijuana is being smoked inside the club? They don't even stop selling alcohol at 4am like they're suppose to.
Some of the people in city hall would love to shut down cafe iguana, but allow maribou to run unscathed. Ask city hall why that is. They won't tell you the real answer. The real answer is they don't want to be called racists that are trying to shut down a hatian/jamaican/afro-american establishment.
I would venture to say that these stats were also compiled in the same manner that determined Flamingo rd and Pines blvd was the most dangerous in the country. It wasn't just the intersection, it was a square mile around that intersection including the shopping plazas, the mall, and parts of century village. I've heard countless traffic stops where the officer advises they are in the cafe iguana parking lot, when in fact they're in front of Albertson's. Dispatch copies the information, and if it leads to an arrest, there's another negative stat. Cafe iguana is definitely not as bad as it once was. I guess the stats for just two years wasn't enough so they added the .5 (when the calls started to slow down).

11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
That's right. You tell 'em Dan!

11-07-2007, 05:34 PM
don't be fooled! it's bad. shootings, rapes, drugs, guns, knives. you name it. this city is on a fast track to a slum. what once was a nice place to live is now a place you don't want to be around after dark.

11-08-2007, 04:21 AM
I knew no one could actually give a real answer. Who cares about the traffic lights. the vip area in iguana is usually the ones who would never rip the club. both places are a joke,,,I know other cities would put a "damper" on the festivities at places that are a drain on manpower. And please dont blow smoke when the entire shopping center is taken over by the clubbers for iguana. they park from one end of the lot to the other, drinking and partying in the lot because they do not fear the police there. As far as complaining about it, I don't think you have the power to censor anyone. the lights suck, but you cant run them out or arrest them or anything else for that matter. If you are a pines cop, which is doubtful, then do something for all of us residents and shut down the garbage that ruins the "fine reputation" of these establishments. It takes some creativity and proactive work as well as initiative.

11-08-2007, 06:26 AM
IF YOU LIVE IN PINES, YOU DON'T KNOW CRIME. JUST BECAUSE YOUR CAR WAS BROKEN INTO THREE YEARS AGO, OR YOU SEE CARS RACING UP AND DOWN U.S. 27 DOESN'T MEAN THAT THIS CITY IS GOING TO THE DUMPS. BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THIS AGAIN. "YOU DON'T KNOW CRIME". THERE'S NO RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS AFFECTED IN THE AREAS OF THESE CLUBS, NOR DO THEY REALLY TIE UP MANPOWER. ONCE IN A WHILE MAYBE, BUT NOT AS OFTEN AS YOU THINK. AND WHEN THEY DO, THERE'S USUALLY NOTHING ELSE GOING ON ANYWAY.
YOU SOUND LIKE A LONG TIME RESIDENT THAT WISHES THIS CITY WERE LIKE IT WAS BACK IN THE 60'S AND 70'S. TOO LATE FOR THAT. THIS CITY'S POPULATION HAS GROWN TO 4 TIMES THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE SINCE THOSE DAYS. MORE PEOPLE EQUAL MORE CRIME. NEITHER YOU OR I CAN HELP THAT SO DEAL WITH IT.
OH AND BEFORE I FORGET, KEEP ANYTHING OF VALUE IN YOUR HOUSE. NOT THE CAR LIKE SO MANY OTHER PEOPLE DO.

11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
WE had the same thing at some "nude" bars in our city. The PD was instrumental along with the City Mgr. and Council to enact an ordinance with a 3-5 minimum of off duty officers depending on the day and event.
If this didnt drop calls for service the City would suspend the business license. It also put the responsibility back onto the owners and mgrs. You need to work with your city attorney for specific language. Good luck it can be done !

11-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I knew no one could actually give a real answer. Who cares about the traffic lights. the vip area in iguana is usually the ones who would never rip the club. both places are a joke,,,I know other cities would put a "damper" on the festivities at places that are a drain on manpower. And please dont blow smoke when the entire shopping center is taken over by the clubbers for iguana. they park from one end of the lot to the other, drinking and partying in the lot because they do not fear the police there. As far as complaining about it, I don't think you have the power to censor anyone. the lights suck, but you cant run them out or arrest them or anything else for that matter. If you are a pines cop, which is doubtful, then do something for all of us residents and shut down the garbage that ruins the "fine reputation" of these establishments. It takes some creativity and proactive work as well as initiative.

If you want to get rid of the clubs, you are addressing the wrong people. We are cops, not politicians. You should go to the city commision meatings and speak to the important people sitting behind the microphones.

11-09-2007, 01:42 PM
i'll bet that there are people in power who are in the pockets of people who are in power. money talks. that's why they're still open.