PDA

View Full Version : K9

10-27-2007, 11:57 PM
I asked ealier in another post about your K9 unit but it turned into an "I hate FLPD" deal.

How many dogs do you have,are they all dual purpose (narc,eod,cadaver) ,breeds,vehicles,training standards,etc? I was looking for a FLPD at the USPCA nationals but didn't see one.

very curious

10-28-2007, 04:21 AM
I was looking for a FLPD at the USPCA nationals but didn't see one.

You’re kidding right??? Some of our K9s are as lazy as their handlers. OK, the dog doesn’t know any better but what’s the human excuse?

Most of our dogs are single purpose and the narc dogs out number the rest b/c that’s what you find in our streets.

10-28-2007, 04:58 AM
I was looking for a FLPD at the USPCA nationals but didn't see one.

You’re kidding right??? Some of our K9s are as lazy as their handlers. OK, the dog doesn’t know any better but what’s the human excuse?

Most of our dogs are single purpose and the narc dogs out number the rest b/c that’s what you find in our streets.

Wow...You must not work midnights. A little bitter you didn't get selected last time?

10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
The size of the FLPD K9 unit varies from time to time. At one point, it was up to 10 handlers. Now I believe it is about 6 handlers and 1 sergeant. Most of the officers who are selected for the K9 apprehension/tracking unit are very aggressive, hard-working, experienced, veteran officers. In the good ol' days, bad guys knew if they came to Ft. Laud. to commit a crime, they were gonna be arrested and usually suffered from a K9 apprehension wound or a severe beating (depending on the offense committed.)

The current supervisor of the K9 unit is a great street cop & hard charger. He is rebuilding a unit w/some solid officers and good dogs. Anybody who has anything bad to say about the FLPD's K9 unit doesn't nkow what their talking about.

The PD also has other K9 units that do not do detection work but are certified as dope sniffers and bomb detection. (Don't aks me what bomb dogs do.) I don't know the #'s of those but it's probably around 6. We even use to have cadaver detection dogs but I don't believe we have any in service right now.

10-29-2007, 09:10 PM
thankyou Barak.

is there a contact person you could suggest? perhaps the new hard charger?

Barak
10-29-2007, 10:23 PM
yes, e-mail Sgt. Cristafaro @ pcristafaro@fortlauderdale.gov