PDA

View Full Version : intrested on flpd....

10-25-2007, 02:39 AM
how many openings does flpd have? also any advise on my up coming oral board ? :D thanks! be safe.

10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
First, it's "Interested IN FLPD"...but anyway....

In case you haven't read ANY other post on this site, you may want to before applying. You couldn't start a thread about the World Series without it turning into 20 posts about how "this place blows, find somewhere else to go".

10-26-2007, 02:50 PM
at last count, positions available were between 30 to 40 give or take...

get to the oral early, where a suit and answer the questions to the best of your ability.

Good luck.

As the poster indicated above, search previous threads and leo forums for answers to your questions as most have been addressed before, ad nauseum.

10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
sorry misspelled "where" replace that with "wear" LOL....

at last count, positions available were between 30 to 40 give or take...

get to the oral early, where a suit and answer the questions to the best of your ability.

Good luck.

As the poster indicated above, search previous threads and leo forums for answers to your questions as most have been addressed before, ad nauseum.

10-26-2007, 04:18 PM

In case you haven't read ANY other post on this site, you may want to before applying. You couldn't start a thread about the World Series without it turning into 20 posts about how "this place blows, find somewhere else to go".

It's ok, we don't worry about grammar until the end of FTO. But seriously... Sure, we're micromanaged, and you have to really watch your a$$, but if you want to do real policework in south Florida (and don't want to work in Miami), there's nowhere but FLPD. If you can live on a budget, and you don't mind working hard with the FOP to get a decent contract, come on down. If you want to get paid now, go elsewhere.

You're going to find disgruntled, pissed off people anywhere. The ones here definitely have their reasons, and I don't blame them. You just have to hope that wherever you work will compensate you well for the majority of (and most importantly, the end of) your 20-25 years of service.

Oh, and don't take the pension info on the city's website too seriously: If the city has their way, all new hires will go into the state retirement system. Not that most recruits really pay any attention to that, but eventually, you'll care.

Sorry to be quixotic, but I've seen much worse out there. Good luck.

10-26-2007, 11:14 PM

It's ok, we don't worry about grammar until the end of FTO. But seriously... Sure, we're micromanaged, and you have to really watch your a$$, but if you want to do real policework in south Florida (and don't want to work in Miami), there's nowhere but FLPD. If you can live on a budget, and you don't mind working hard with the FOP to get a decent contract, come on down. If you want to get paid now, go elsewhere.

You're going to find disgruntled, pissed off people anywhere. The ones here definitely have their reasons, and I don't blame them. You just have to hope that wherever you work will compensate you well for the majority of (and most importantly, the end of) your 20-25 years of service.

Oh, and don't take the pension info on the city's website too seriously: If the city has their way, all new hires will go into the state retirement system. Not that most recruits really pay any attention to that, but eventually, you'll care.

Sorry to be quixotic, but I've seen much worse out there. Good luck. :D thanks for the info ...looking forward to joining the team !

10-28-2007, 04:15 AM
:D thanks for the info ...looking forward to joining the team !

This is exactly what most say before they join then they leave. If you are single with no family and no expenses, then you could leave in the ghetto with the FLPD salary. If you have some type of family life then you’ll seek employment elsewhere my friend.

10-28-2007, 12:10 PM
The FLPD is a once very proud and distinguished agency that has unfortunately met w/some challening times. The strength of the agency has always been in its personnel, especially line personnel, detectives and supervisors. Senior leadership has frequently been a topic of discussion.

Having said that, let me say this- I've been w/the PD for a long time. Good times come & good times go. I've worked thru more than 7 different chiefs and 6 city administrators & heaven only knows how many elected officials. Each one of these folks had their own agenda for whatever reason, but thru it all, the folks who actually make the place work- the officers, PSA's, detectives and first line supervisors- are what made the agency the greatplace it was and STILL CAN BE.

Yes, we may be going thru some more difficult times but adminstrations come and go. Are you aware the life expectancy of a city manager in a city the size of Ft. Laud. is only 3-4 years? Know what year this is for the current administration? 4! The average lifespan of a chief in an agency our size is 4-5 years. Know how many years our current chief has been there? 6!

Folks- take my word; sit tight cuz the bell will be ringing soon. That's how politics works.

10-28-2007, 12:16 PM
how many openings does flpd have? also any advise on my up coming oral board ? :D thanks! be safe.

The PD has an abundance of openings right now, somewhere in the area of 54. As for advice on taking the oral board:

1) Show up early. Make sure you're paperwork is filled out completely, correctly and HONESTLY.
2) Be dressed appropriately. That means suit/tie/polished shoes. Have a fresh haricut & shave- but no cologne. Light on the jewelery. If you've got tattoos running down to your fingertips, cover them up.
2a) Be polite and respectful to EVERYONE.
3) Sit up straight and speak w/a tone of authority, intelligence, sincerity and maturity.
4) Did I mention ANSWER HONESTLY? We're gonna find out anyway so DON'T LIE ABOUT ANYTHING. Instant disqualification if you do.
5) Be prepare dto be challenged by questions. Put your thinking cap on and come up w/intelligent responses.

Do that stuff & you'll give yourself a fighting chance. Good Luck!

10-29-2007, 12:18 AM
The strength of the agency has always been in its personnel, especially line personnel, detectives and supervisors
Camaraderie will not pay for your increasing taxes and mortgage bill my friend. Unlike yourself, some of us like to spend time with our families instead of working OT and details to make ends meet.

I've worked thru more than 7 different chiefs and 6 city administrators & heaven only knows how many elected officials.
Hey, not all of us are conformists sticking to the status quo. Don’t blame those that have a little more intelligence to seek a better working environment for ourselves.

Know how many years our current chief has been there? 6!
It doesn’t take long to turn a hard working officer into a disgruntle, bad temper, lazy slug. According to your timeline 6 years worth of a cheesy chief along with horrible managers have encourage more than 100+ officers to quit. I can tell you that not all that stay are the cream of the crop. The better ones are long gone my friend. Take a look around buddy and see what’s left. Fort Lauderdale Police has the most antiquated police station in the modern cities of South Florida. Just about every other city has remodel or constructed a new police station for its officers. Fort Lauderdale is the biggest jurisdiction in Broward with a sizable tax revenue that should afford this type of improvements to its officers.

Barak
10-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Just because you choose to see only the negative does not make you right. If you're that unhappy, I remind you that you do not have to take a test to resign.

Truly, I understand some of your current displeasure w/the agency but for the overwhelming majority of the years I've spent working there, I truly enjoyed myself- the cameraderie, the training, the experiences of working in a good sized, progressive agency w/lots of great folks. Ok, so we don't work in the newest building or have all the latest techno-gadgets. Who cares? You're supposed to be working on the road anyway, not spending time in the station. When I first came on, we were lucky if we had enough 4 channel radios to go around and a/c was a relatively new addition to the patrol fleet!

I didn't come on the JOB because I wanted to live in a fancy house, drive expensive cars or work 4/10's. I joined up because I wanted to do something purposeful w/my life, give back to the community. I'll never argue against a raise but that wasn't my motive for becoming a cop, much less a cop in Ft. Laud. Your comments strongly insinuate that your motivations are all about you, not the agency or city you protect. If that's the case, you're right- you're in the wrong place.

It's truly regrettable that you feel this way about the agency, that is if you really work for the FLPD. There are still plenty of dedicated, hard-working, intelligent and capable folks in the PD & I will gladly stand by their side fighting the good fight no matter who is running the joint.

10-29-2007, 10:47 AM
My friend you are truly a conformist and a company man of massive proportion. It sort of reminds me of the Army back in the Clinton’s era. There was always some douche ball that would suck-up to the brass stating things like:

“We don’t need more money, we’re doing it for the motherland”.
“Why do we have tents, let’s just sleep out in the rain and snow like real men?”.
“Who needs rest; let’s just keep on marching till we reach France”.
“I don’t need food; my canteen with dirty water is all I need”.

You either work for the chief or are another cheerleader for the city manager. The reason why we are in this hole is because of people like you who settle for less, conforming to bad contracts with little benefits for the officers.

Hell, let’s just turn in our patrol vehicles, we’ll do beat watches on foot, just like the old days; we don’t need them anyways. Alternatively, to save money we’ll pay for our own gas while on duty, that way the city manager can take a longer vacations. Forget about OT, it is your duty to protect and serve, work until the job is done. Holidays with the family, who needs those? My family is my uniform and my gun; that’s all I need.

I don’t expect to see you in the next FOP meeting Mr. Burns………….

Barak
10-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Brother, you have no idea how wrong you are about me. I never have and never will drink the Kool Aid. I'm not saying I'm happy about a lot of the things that have transpired over the last 4.5 years but I also know there's only so much I can do about it. Griping about it all day long ain't going to help the situation & neither are negative attitudes. Know the one about life giving you lemons so you make lemonade?

Here's another time-worn aphorism- if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Other than *****ing on this site, what exactly are you contributing to make the situation any better? Do you honestly believe that venting and griping about stuff in a public forum- where the whole world can see us supposed professional LEO's- is the best way to handle our concerns? How in the world are we supposed to garner public support when all it sounds like is we are a bunch of whiny babies?

There's a better, more intelligent, more mature and professional way of handling our grievances & the way some folks have handled it, particularly in the way some of the posts have been in this blog, is not the way. We do ourselves, our agency and our community a disservice acting this way.

10-30-2007, 02:15 AM
I'll bet the guys who left Plantation to go to FLPD are tickled pink about that great move. LOL

10-30-2007, 02:57 AM
An earlier poster said that you have to "watch your a$$" when working.

What does that mean, not just about safety...?

Was it in reference to micro management? Micromanaged by who and in what manner?

10-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Do you honestly believe that venting and griping about stuff in a public forum- where the whole world can see us supposed professional LEO's- is the best way to handle our concerns? How in the world are we supposed to garner public support when all it sounds like is we are a bunch of whiny babies?

I don’t think that we have much luck convincing many of the officers to vent out just like in this forum during our FOP meetings. I think that it has to do with the fact that most don’t have much faith on those that are leading the negotiations. Barak it appears to me that you are satisfied with the current situation in our city or you have gotten use to the sway of the breeze and it just doesn’t move your hair anymore. I wish I could say the same thing but I cannot. I have been here for over 10 years and things have fluctuated so much during the years that I see a new face everyday during briefing. I am getting to a point where I wish not to work any more details in order to save money. My current salary is not covering the expenses of my oldest son college tuition. I hate to say it but I’ve been contemplating leaving the state altogether. I’m hoping for the best but it just doesn’t seem like there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

Barak
10-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Well I'm sorry to hear that you're considering leaving. All too often over my career I've seen folks leave for greener pastures only to return w/in a year cuz they recognized it wasn't so green after all, having lost their seniority, etc. to start over again. Look, you gotta decide what's best for you & yours. If that means leaving to better your situation, then I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

Barak
10-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Oh and I'm not satisfied w/anything about the current situation either. I jsut recognize there are things I cannot do anything about. At this stage in my career & life, I have simply decided not to waste energy on stuff like that. As I said before, administrations come & go, just as this one will. The next one may be better or worse but I'd be danged if I'd let them chase me off & away from the folks I work with & friends I've made over the years, not to mention a city I once loved and has been very good to me overall.

10-31-2007, 04:14 AM
I’m glad to see someone that’s happy in our city. The thing that bothers me is the perception that others have on our city manager. I notice how non Fort Lauderdale employees see our city’s manager tactics as, “Good for the city”, “He’s tough on crime”, “He is cleaning house down there”. They believed that this is the best thing the city has ever done. I couldn’t help but to eavesdrop on these two women that work for Coral Spring City Hall, while they chatted about our city. I can only assume, that others in our own city have similar thoughts and therefore feel that he’s doing the right thing. Today I was down by city hall and I saw a stack of resignation packages in HR. Apparently there are many other folks not just cops leaving the city.

Barak
10-31-2007, 08:42 PM
It's not matter of being happy or not. Work provides a function in our lives. For some it brings personal fulfillment, friendship, experience and entertainment, others a way to pay the bills. To me it does both. From an old timers point of view, work is not necessarily meant to be fun. That's why they call it work. If work was fun, they'd call it fun, not work.

Think about your parents's job- you think your dad liked working in a factory or over-night shifts on the loading docks? My dad owned his own small businesses and put in 90+ hours a week, every week, the whole time I was growing up. They worked that way because they had to, in order to provide for their families, just like we do for ours- only we have it considerably easier. Do you think work was fun for them or was there a bigger picture they were focusing on?

As for the city manager, you have no control how others view his performance and his performance has no bearing on how you carry yourself everyday. I know I sure don't concern myself w/how others see me. I simply go forth every day & try to put my best effort forth. That's the best each & every one of us can do. In the end, it'll work out best for all.

And yes, I'm sure there are people submitting resignations- there always are and always for a variety of reasons. I'm betting every other city gets resignations too. To post something like that here, w/little supportive background material, does not help our situation at all. It only lends itself to gossip & that aids no one.

10-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Brother, you have no idea how wrong you are about me. I never have and never will drink the Kool Aid. I'm not saying I'm happy about a lot of the things that have transpired over the last 4.5 years but I also know there's only so much I can do about it. Griping about it all day long ain't going to help the situation & neither are negative attitudes. Know the one about life giving you lemons so you make lemonade?

Here's another time-worn aphorism- if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Other than *****ing on this site, what exactly are you contributing to make the situation any better? Do you honestly believe that venting and griping about stuff in a public forum- where the whole world can see us supposed professional LEO's- is the best way to handle our concerns? How in the world are we supposed to garner public support when all it sounds like is we are a bunch of whiny babies?

There's a better, more intelligent, more mature and professional way of handling our grievances & the way some folks have handled it, particularly in the way some of the posts have been in this blog, is not the way. We do ourselves, our agency and our community a disservice acting this way.

That poster wasn't wrong; if you didn't drink the Kool Aid, you certainly had a few sips. You have been blanketing this blog with your city-side cheerleader bullsh@t. Your Beaver Cleaver "take it on the chin" attitude is exactly what the City wants; smile, keep going, and hope it all goes away. You are ridiculous.

Barak
11-01-2007, 12:05 AM
And you my friend speak from immaturity & inexperience. I'm not a cheerleader for anyone. I have, however, worked here a long time. I know and remember what this agency was like when it was THE premier agency in FLA law enforcement & everyone wanted to work here. It is unfortunate that you apparently never had that opportunity & w/the attitudes you have expressed, you never will.

The reality is this agency could turn around tomorrow w/the right leadership but it is important to remember that leadership begins w/in one's self. Can you rise to that challenge? Forget about the city and lead administrator's in the agency. They don't decide your attitude- you do. How you deal w/the frsutrations and challenges presented to you is what makes you the police officer you are.

See, I know what kind of career I've had and I know what kind of cop I am & have been and am proud of all of it. It seems you are not & that's too bad but there is always time to change. So I ask again, can you rise to that challenge or would you rather just sit here and complain?

11-01-2007, 06:34 PM
And you my friend speak from immaturity & inexperience. I'm not a cheerleader for anyone. I have, however, worked here a long time. I know and remember what this agency was like when it was THE premier agency in FLA law enforcement & everyone wanted to work here. It is unfortunate that you apparently never had that opportunity & w/the attitudes you have expressed, you never will.

The reality is this agency could turn around tomorrow w/the right leadership but it is important to remember that leadership begins w/in one's self. Can you rise to that challenge? Forget about the city and lead administrator's in the agency. They don't decide your attitude- you do. How you deal w/the frsutrations and challenges presented to you is what makes you the police officer you are.

See, I know what kind of career I've had and I know what kind of cop I am & have been and am proud of all of it. It seems you are not & that's too bad but there is always time to change. So I ask again, can you rise to that challenge or would you rather just sit here and complain?

Yes, this place could turn around tomorrow just like the Titanic "could" have stopped sinking. I'm sure those who were able to make it to life boats were glad that they did.

Its very hard to maintain an up-beat attitude when those above you keep beating you into apathy. How are our officers supposed to be positve when they get written up for making good arrests? When our leadership creates investigations at times when there aren't any need for them?

How are we supposed to do the job when we aren't provided the proper tools to do them? I'm not talking about high tech stuff. I still can't get a pair of size 32 pants!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I have to sign out latex gloves 5 pair at a time and hand wipes 10 at a time. Anyone see a problem with that? 4 computers in write up for 250 road officers? And 2 dont work half the time?

I know I'm a good cop and I have a great work ethic, and I try my best to stay positive but that's tough to do right now because that's not what the city and not what our leaders care about. All they want is people to fill uniforms, handle calls, and "shut up and color." The proof is out there.

This Department is no longer the premier agency in the south eastern US. I remember when it was and how much I wanted to be a part of that. Now this place is just an empty shell of what it was. THe political B.S. for the past 20years has finally caught up with this place, and, now, the promotions are made strictly on a political basis, not based on aptitude or experience, with very, very, very few exceptions. Look at the last few promotions from sergeant on up with in the past year and tell me I'm wrong.

This place isn't going to turn around, not unless they clean house on the 2nd floor, except Adderly; he seems to be the only one who hasn't forgotten were he came from. I'm guess that's why he's not in charge of OPS. The city elections could produce a change but who knows.

Then our Union leadership, yes, your hearts are in the right place, have a knee jerk reaction to everything. There is no back up plan for anything i.e. the picketing the boat show. That was a knee jerk reaction from a piss poor negotiation meeting on Tuesday. FOP called and executive bored meeding on Thursday to discuss a plan of action and came up with the boat show picketing. Then announced it on Friday. Why was the boat show pickety not a contingency plan to a possible poor negotiation? If things went poorly we picket, if they go well we don't. Organize this stuff in advance call people, post letters, annonce this stuff. The boat show happens every year. Contract negotiations every 3. Its not like this stuff pops up out of nowhere like "el nino."

I had to read about that in the Herald the day before. No one called me or e-mailed me. Why don't doesnt the union send a mass email update for things like that? Going into midnight shift briefing the friday before and announcing it and then berating people on sunday for not showing up is unacceptable. I hear the people got to read about it in Sundays paper and were pissed because they didnt know about it. More people would have showed if they had more notice.

I'm sure there will be an overwhelming turnout on our next even, which should be posted on this form because this place could also be used to pass on useful info. not just ***** about things.

I have alot of respect for you there, "old timer," but us guys with a few years ahead of us do have a different prespective. I have some time left before I retire. I want to be sure that I have a retirement check coming to me when I reach that age. It would be a bad day if my pension was bankrupt by that time or I have to be a greeter a wal-mart when I'm 70 years old to supplement my income, because I don't have a pension COLA, to buy my medicine so I dont die . These are my concerns. When I retire I only want to work because I want to not in order to live like so many of our seniors today.

I really hope things do turn around, but at the same time, I'm a realist and I have my eye on a couple life boats.

Barak
11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
You make some excellent points J-Cop & I agree w/many of them. I certainly understand your frustrations but more than that, I appreciate your intelligent response. Unfortunately in life, there are things w/in your control and those that are not. I choose to focus on things w/my control. There are, no doubt, some issues- like having enough uniforms in stock- that should almost never occur. That's a matter of poor planning on some manager's behalf & far too typical of so many little things in our agency that could run more efficiently.

The external political aspect that creeped into this agency started 4.5 years ago when Silva was appointed the interim c/m and then followed up by Gretsas. But don't kid yourself- there was plenty of internal politics in this agency before that, the difference being that city hall, for the most part, left us alone & out of their political games. Instead we screwed each other! But that's changed now & it's easy to see how the PD has been turned into the political pawns of a few over @ 100 N. Andrews. Their decisions have affected transfers, promotions and promotional exams; it ain't right but that's the way it is right now and we've got to learn to survive in this current environment.

We've still got some good people in the senior ranks. A/C Adderley isn't alone. A/C Montagano is an experienced, intelligent guy too as are Majors Hanstein and Kiley. And there are some good folks in the captains' rank too so there are some future leaders ready for development.

The Union, under Jack, at least as far as I'm concerned, is going in the right direction. I don't agree that there are any knee jerk responses by the union; matter of fact, I find Jack's leadership to be thoughful, even-keeled & well-planned. After the last 3-4 FOP presidents, I find Jack's leadership style a breath of fresh air. For example, the peaceful protest at the boat show sent a left cross across the city manager's desk. I'm betting they were less than pleased w/the FOP's presence but I applaud the fact that the officers were out there exercising their constitutional right to lawfully & peaceably assemble. You can't buy press like that. I hope the march next week @ the city commission meeting goes as well.

11-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Sliva was the big portion of the problem but there were things that occured before that showed the city was moving in a different direction. The shutting down of the air unit back in the late 80's. Like in 1998 going from Brown to Blue uniforms to save a couple of bucks. I'm old enough to remember that when you saw Brown and Tan coming your way, you got out of the way.

I don't think alot of the new guys know that we used to have an air unit. An Air unit would be pretty useful today so would a city jail. Those days are long gone.

Anyway, the problems existed long before Silva and there will be problems that will exits long after, for example, the management style of Gretsas. He should change his title from City Manager to Supreme Dictator of the City of Fort Lauderdale. The damage his management has caused will take atleast a decade to undue. How many usless positions and "offices" can one person create in 5 years. If we have a Directer of Public Safety, then what do the Police Chief and Fire Chief do besides make $180,000 a year to be scape goats?

As far as our leadership Montagano is experienced but is good for a smoke screen and double talk. Kiley and Hanstein are good guys but are going so blind on dots because the are trying to get to asst. chief. I don't know if you have noticed but after Kiley got "moved" to 1, the last few Majors of 2 are now asst. Chiefs. Its obvious that the pinheads running the show are using the majors slot in 2 to fast track the people they want to the asst. chief's slots. Kiley and Hanstein are stuck. I imagine Williams will be the next asst. chief when Montagano retires.

There are only 2 captains worth anything in the dept., Peney and Jordan.

It's slim pickens, man.

I could give a great many examples of the Union's knee jerk reactions to things, but as I said their hearts are in the right place. I do believe we are finally going in the right direction we just got a really slow start. I also have to say there are times that we the members have not been there when the union has asked so I can understand their frustration as well.

I'd just hate to look back 10 years from now and see that I'm wearing green and white working in district two evenings with 3 other officers saying, "hell, I remember when we had our own PD and the minimum in 2 evenings was 12 in 2007. Where did the good old days go?"

You are right about the things I can control. I can control whether I stick it out here or try greener pastures. Right now I'm on the fence.

I posted my resume on monster.com and got a response from some guy named Higgins in Hawaii from some P.I. Firm. The job offers $80,000 a year, 5% COLA/Pension COLA, and 20 and out with a 5 year drop and a 3.5 multiplier. The take home car is a Ferrari. They even have an air unit.

11-02-2007, 02:51 AM
J-Cop, I'm right there with you, however I think you need to cut your E-board (which I'm not on) some slack. I don't know if you were here during Tom's reign, but it wasn't pretty. Jack is doing a hell of a job and there is a reason the protest was organized at the last minute, which I won't bore you with. Mike Tucker is the best Cheif Stewerd we've ever had and I hope he runs for President after Jack. Most of the work they do goes unnoticed but believe you me, they are working their asses off.

11-02-2007, 03:24 AM
J-Cop, I'm right there with you, however I think you need to cut your E-board (which I'm not on) some slack. I don't know if you were here during Tom's reign, but it wasn't pretty. Jack is doing a hell of a job and there is a reason the protest was organized at the last minute, which I won't bore you with. Mike Tucker is the best Cheif Stewerd we've ever had and I hope he runs for President after Jack. Most of the work they do goes unnoticed but believe you me, they are working their asses off.

Art,

I can appreciate what you guys are doing. I know you are working/fighting for us. I'm sure you can understand my level of frustration being on my days off and then reading about it the day before in the paper. Its a bit impersonal.

I gladly give my support to the union and show up to meetings and where the union askes for me to go. That's why I suggested a mass email contact list for last minute events.

Take my suggestion or leave it. I just would like to be there to help and if I don't know about and event I can't help.

As for the slack you ask for, you have it. I'll back off. I'm not trying to be a dissenter or create a rift in the union. I'm just one of the frustrated many. Only, Really, Really, Handsome, though.

Thanks for the feedback.

11-02-2007, 04:03 AM
Then our Union leadership, yes, your hearts are in the right place, have a knee jerk reaction to everything. There is no back up plan for anything i.e. the picketing the boat show. That was a knee jerk reaction from a piss poor negotiation meeting on Tuesday. FOP called and executive bored meeding on Thursday to discuss a plan of action and came up with the boat show picketing. Then announced it on Friday. Why was the boat show pickety not a contingency plan to a possible poor negotiation? If things went poorly we picket, if they go well we don't. Organize this stuff in advance call people, post letters, annonce this stuff. The boat show happens every year. Contract negotiations every 3. Its not like this stuff pops up out of nowhere like "el nino."

I had to read about that in the Herald the day before. No one called me or e-mailed me. Why don't doesnt the union send a mass email update for things like that? Going into midnight shift briefing the friday before and announcing it and then berating people on sunday for not showing up is unacceptable. I hear the people got to read about it in Sundays paper and were pissed because they didnt know about it. More people would have showed if they had more notice.

I'm sure there will be an overwhelming turnout on our next even, which should be posted on this form because this place could also be used to pass on useful info. not just ***** about things.

At the last meeting, Jack apologized for the lateness of such announcements. His explanation was that if such plans were announced when they were hatched, the city would surely impose permits, and concoct other ways to marginalize their effects. It was planned well ahead of time, specifically for the impact it would have at that event; it just couldn't be announced until last minute. He even applauded the membership for such a strong turnout on short notice.

No hard feelings, J. It was standing room only in the meeting, so maybe you missed that part.

11-02-2007, 04:20 AM

At the last meeting, Jack apologized for the lateness of such announcements. His explanation was that if such plans were announced when they were hatched, the city would surely impose permits, and concoct other ways to marginalize their effects. It was planned well ahead of time, specifically for the impact it would have at that event; it just couldn't be announced until last minute. He even applauded the membership for such a strong turnout on short notice.

No hard feelings, J. It was standing room only in the meeting, so maybe you missed that part.

I work Tuesdays and was on a call. Just got the cliff-note version of the meeting.

11-02-2007, 03:57 PM
J-Cop,
Keep the faith. You are the future of this department and this union. I hope all the new guys are as passionate about this fight as you are. The union needs guys like you and if you haven't yet, you should consider becoming a union steward.

11-04-2007, 01:37 PM

Yes, this place could turn around tomorrow just like the Titanic "could" have stopped sinking. I'm sure those who were able to make it to life boats were glad that they did.

Its very hard to maintain an up-beat attitude when those above you keep beating you into apathy. How are our officers supposed to be positve when they get written up for making good arrests? When our leadership creates investigations at times when there aren't any need for them?

How are we supposed to do the job when we aren't provided the proper tools to do them? I'm not talking about high tech stuff. I still can't get a pair of size 32 pants!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I have to sign out latex gloves 5 pair at a time and hand wipes 10 at a time. Anyone see a problem with that? 4 computers in write up for 250 road officers? And 2 dont work half the time?

I know I'm a good cop and I have a great work ethic, and I try my best to stay positive but that's tough to do right now because that's not what the city and not what our leaders care about. All they want is people to fill uniforms, handle calls, and "shut up and color." The proof is out there.

This Department is no longer the premier agency in the south eastern US. I remember when it was and how much I wanted to be a part of that. Now this place is just an empty shell of what it was. THe political B.S. for the past 20years has finally caught up with this place, and, now, the promotions are made strictly on a political basis, not based on aptitude or experience, with very, very, very few exceptions. Look at the last few promotions from sergeant on up with in the past year and tell me I'm wrong.

This place isn't going to turn around, not unless they clean house on the 2nd floor, except Adderly; he seems to be the only one who hasn't forgotten were he came from. I'm guess that's why he's not in charge of OPS. The city elections could produce a change but who knows.

I have alot of respect for you there, "old timer," but us guys with a few years ahead of us do have a different prespective. I have some time left before I retire. I want to be sure that I have a retirement check coming to me when I reach that age. It would be a bad day if my pension was bankrupt by that time or I have to be a greeter a wal-mart when I'm 70 years old to supplement my income, because I don't have a pension COLA, to buy my medicine so I dont die . These are my concerns. When I retire I only want to work because I want to not in order to live like so many of our seniors today.

I really hope things do turn around, but at the same time, I'm a realist and I have my eye on a couple life boats.

Am I the only one here who does not yet know the identity of J-Cop? Anyhow, J, I appreciate your passion. Also, I am fairly certain that behind the emotion you may even have some valuable, tangible ideas. I again invite you to either call me directly or come to a meeting and speak up. Heck, even join us at the table.

I truly believe that once you hear how little we "knee-jerk" these things, you'll gain a more informed perspective. I WISH all we had to do was knee-jerk. I could spend so much less of my time up late and up early strategizing, anticipating, and analyzing from every conceivable angle. Besides, have you forgotten that many of our members prefer the knee-jerk actions.....work to the rule now, vote of no confidence now, etc, etc.

We have often been the ones trying to encourage patience, look at the long-term picture and plan all of our tactics and strategies in their proper order and timing...hardly a knee-jerk approach. We did know of the Boat Show in advance, and had many ideas for the obvious platform there. Similarly, J-Cop, we have ideas now for January, February and onward in 2008. Shall I share those with you now, too?

You are right though about how we change tones and tactics based on progress, or lack thereof at our negotiations. Negotiations, as in any battle, are a fluid situation which demand our ability to constantly evaluate and adapt too.

Let me assure you that we continue to have Plans A, B, C, D; each one designed to address the tone of negotiations for the next several months. We will likely be utilizing strategies inherent in each of them simultaneously.

I do continue to listen to your thoughts and those of all of our members collectively, digest them, and gauge our actions accordingly. So, while we do not always share the same perspective, I do appreciate the feed back.

We do not have all of the answers and this is not an exact science. But we do spend a significant amount of time and energy considering all of the information we have at any given time and making the best decisions we can from that information. Please, feel free to disagree with those decisions all day long, but do not minimize the efforts of those who put the time and energy into those decisions by dismissing them as simply "knee-jerk."

This is tough stuff. Stay safe, strong, and united.

11-04-2007, 07:48 PM
[quote=Barak]And you my friend speak from immaturity & inexperience. I'm not a cheerleader for anyone. I have, however, worked here a long time. I know and remember what this agency was like when it was THE premier agency in FLA law enforcement & everyone wanted to work here. It is unfortunate that you apparently never had that opportunity & w/the attitudes you have expressed, you never will.

Am I the only one here who does not yet know the identity of J-Cop? Anyhow, J, I appreciate your passion. Also, I am fairly certain that behind the emotion you may even have some valuable, tangible ideas. I again invite you to either call me directly or come to a meeting and speak up. Heck, even join us at the table.

I truly believe that once you hear how little we "knee-jerk" these things, you'll gain a more informed perspective. I WISH all we had to do was knee-jerk. I could spend so much less of my time up late and up early strategizing, anticipating, and analyzing from every conceivable angle. Besides, have you forgotten that many of our members prefer the knee-jerk actions.....work to the rule now, vote of no confidence now, etc, etc.

We have often been the ones trying to encourage patience, look at the long-term picture and plan all of our tactics and strategies in their proper order and timing...hardly a knee-jerk approach. We did know of the Boat Show in advance, and had many ideas for the obvious platform there. Similarly, J-Cop, we have ideas now for January, February and onward in 2008. Shall I share those with you now, too?

You are right though about how we change tones and tactics based on progress, or lack thereof at our negotiations. Negotiations, as in any battle, are a fluid situation which demand our ability to constantly evaluate and adapt too.

Let me assure you that we continue to have Plans A, B, C, D; each one designed to address the tone of negotiations for the next several months. We will likely be utilizing strategies inherent in each of them simultaneously.

I do continue to listen to your thoughts and those of all of our members collectively, digest them, and gauge our actions accordingly. So, while we do not always share the same perspective, I do appreciate the feed back.

We do not have all of the answers and this is not an exact science. But we do spend a significant amount of time and energy considering all of the information we have at any given time and making the best decisions we can from that information. Please, feel free to disagree with those decisions all day long, but do not minimize the efforts of those who put the time and energy into those decisions by dismissing them as simply "knee-jerk."

This is tough stuff. Stay safe, strong, and united.[/quote:2we2j8i7]

I am unsure what the obsession is with my identity. What if I told you the views that I express were on here are not all of my own ideas. I'm a bright guy, but I'm not that birght. What if I told you that they are a representation of concerns from many people from all 3 shifts and districts. A culminaton of the converations that I have had with various people that are frustrated. As for who I am. I guess I repersent those who are too afraid to speak out in the union meetings for fear of backlash by senior or more disgruntled officers. Those who are afraid of being singled out.

The purposes of my posts, through anonymity, is fear of reprecussion from those who despise or, moreover, can't handle critcisim. I'm sure you are familiar with the iron fisted Stalinesque rule of Supreme Dictator Grestas.

I am not saying anything that has not been said. I am not creating and disgruntlement were there wasn't any. I have I gotten fed up with hearing the same thing over and over from different people. So I figure I post their ideas and mine on here. Yes, some of the ideas are tangible, and I'm not arrogant enough to say that they are all my own.

I truly understand that my perception, as well as, the perceptions of others, to the unions responses to thins as knee jerk does not make them so, but if we as union members perceive them this way, then who else perceives them this way? (hint: he works in city hall, wears glasses, no one really likes him, his intials are G.G.).

I'm not trying to insult of minimize what the union does. I do believe that you have a strategy and that you do work for us. Despite what you may think, you have my support. Don't worry you will not see my utilize the term "knee jerk" again on these forms.

11-14-2007, 04:50 PM
MacDougall and Kinsey haven't drank the kool aid either....

There are only 2 captains worth anything in the dept., Peney and Jordan.

11-27-2007, 12:04 AM
i think i will apply to your agency....seems entertaining.

11-27-2007, 01:57 PM
THE ONLY REASON I ENJOY WORKING FOR THIS AGENCY IS DIST 3 MIDS BOSSES. LETS GIVE IT UP FOR NOVAK !!!!!!!!!!!

11-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Novak is the only man I know that can put away three high-boys in one sitting! And that Class A hat, combined with brass that gleams in the moonlight......that is incredible. What a teriffic ambassador, he gives Arena a ride for his money!

11-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Novak is the only man I know that can put away three high-boys in one sitting! And that Class A hat, combined with brass that gleams in the moonlight......that is incredible. What a teriffic ambassador, he gives Arena a ride for his money!

Now thats Funny, poor Arena wants K9 so bad :lol:

11-27-2007, 10:34 PM
In a place with adequate manpower, he wouldn't have any problem. Anyone that wants to go somewhere that bad - it shouldnt be an issue. We really do need more K-9 units, among everything else.....

11-27-2007, 11:02 PM
By the way, anyone wanting a laugh......go look at Delray Beach's forum......we may have serious contract/department/morale issues....but at least we dont publicly do this........HOLY S**T!!!!!!

11-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Now thats Funny, poor Arena wants K9 so bad :lol:
Who???