PDA

View Full Version : Former Chief Hogle Running for Sheriff in Sarasota

MOD 1
09-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Former BPD Chief Al Hogle is running for Sheriff in Sarasoto what do you guys think of him?

09-29-2007, 03:36 PM
While he was a nice person he was too soft on actual criminal enforcement. He disbanded our street level drug unit, CRT, and formed a Community Policing Unit. The new Unit was suppose to improve "quality of life issues". It worked in the area that the unit was assigned to but severly hampered street level drug/prostitute enforcement throughout the city since the new unit was assigned to a very small geogrtaphic location...was the trade off worth it? No Way. The new unit was in place for around a year before Chief Hogle left. It was then returned to a street level enforcemnt status again by Chief Raz. Only problem was that it took a couple of years to gain back the ground that was lost due to lack of street enforcement presence. In MY opinion Chief Hogle is very laid back and more of an administrative Chief than an enforcement Chief. He will definitely reel in the budget and make severe drastic changes. But like I said he is a great guy.

09-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I forgot to sign my name to the last post. And I forgot to mention that he took away our 4 day 10 hour shifts and switched us to 5 day 8"s to create a "fat friday" training day.

09-30-2007, 01:33 PM
You *****ed, the post was started again, so where are your opinions?

10-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Here is an example of how caring of a chief Hogle was! You think the guys in Sarasota don't like their new agility testing now? Wait till Hogle comes in and starts causing officers to croak!!!

The Bradenton Herald

May 16, 2002 Thursday BRADENTON EDITION

NEW TRAINING METHODS FOR POLICE DRAW FIRE

BYLINE: Bre Jones, Herald Staff Writer

After a Bradenton Police Department detective recently suffered a heart attack during a stress-simulated training exercise, Bradenton's police union requested Chief Al Hogle cease all of the department's physical fitness training, pending an appropriate inquiry. Hogle said Wednesday he will not only continue the weekly training sessions, but also broaden the level of training to include Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and diversity sensitivity classes.

"If a bad guy is running down Manatee Avenue, we've got to be able to catch him, to protect the people," Hogle said. "And it's for the safety of our officers, too. My job is to prepare officers. I'm putting them out there."

In a letter to Hogle, G. "Hal" Johnson, general counsel with the Florida Police Benevolent Association, stated "Several officers had complained about rigorous physical training involved and were advised it was intended to simulate firing during a 'high-stress' situation."
Johnson could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Representatives for the union, although they declined to comment, have demanded that the department investigate the physical training and its effect on officers.

"I am conducting a critique of the class," said Major J.J. Lewis, spokesman for the Bradenton Police Department. "We are confident it is appropriate, but there is always something we can learn. . . . Employees have indicated to me that they approve of this training and are encouraged by it."

Before Hogle was elected chief in September, the department did not incorporate much training.

"When I became chief, I realized some of our officers who have been here 20 years hadn't had driving training since recruit academy," Hogle said.

Soon after Hogle became chief, he said he interviewed every employee to find out how to mold an improved department.

"Their overwhelming response was they felt they lacked training," Hogle said. "My reaction was to increase training, which would decrease complaints."

The union's request to halt physical training came after Detective Robert Matalon had a heart attack Friday during a class designed to elevate the heart rate in order to simulate a high-stress situation.

After spending five days at Manatee Memorial Hospital for treatment, Matalon was released. His wife told the Herald she thinks her husband had a heart attack because "he was singled out in the class and suffered too much stress."

Hogle said he has already brewed ideas to improve the class. He and Lewis will run and fire guns in Friday's session.

"For the most part, I want my officers to be able to do what I can do," Hogle said.

10-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Not to put a stamp of approval on Chief Hogle, but, the incident with Matalon had nothing to do with agility testing...it was a stress shooting class not a PT test. And his heart attack had nothing to do with anything other than the fact that he was out of shape and it was his time....maybe he had heart problems that ran in his family? Who knows. But that incident was an isolated incident....and by the way, that was the only good training class and it should be brought back as a mandatory class for all trainees. I do agree that Chief Hogle went a little overboard on the training.

10-01-2007, 02:38 PM
What bothers me is not so much the training requirement and perhaps the guy was out of shape, but what bother me is the lack of compassion from the chief Hogle. What about Im sympathetic to my officer and his family, not "WE WILL NOT CHANGE THE TESTING"...

Thats my 2c, but it really don't matter much cause he won't win in Sarasota.

10-01-2007, 05:31 PM
He did have a pretty huge ego when working here and I seem to recall a lot of guys not liking him all that much. Then again, not sure we like the guy we got all that much.

10-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Remember how many officers left or quit while under Chief Hogle. And by the way, hey Big Al get a haircut.

10-03-2007, 07:31 AM
He came...he left and they can keep him. To think someone else will be stuck with him....

10-05-2007, 02:49 AM
Hogle is more a politician than a Chief or Sheriff. If that is what you need in your department, you should be fine. Just hope that you have quality Admin Staff that work hard to give him direction for the patrol force. :cop:

10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
There is always someone who can find something wrong with somebody,
which comes the quote "NOBODYS PERFECT".
Please allow me to say this.
I have known Al for many years from the old SPD narcotic days and I
will tell you this-------He was always very polite, proffesional and safety concious.
From my stand point he always cared about his own troops as well as other agencys troops.
I would HIGHLY reccomend Al for Sheriff.
Sometimes we are to quick to react and do not carefully think out our
modus operandi. Al is one of those guys who collectively gets the facts and figures to arrive at the best possible solution or resolution.
Al go for it there are alot of guys behind you brother.
You are a cops cop.

10-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Hogle withdrew from the Sheriff race last Friday.