PDA

View Full Version : what are FTOs teaching?

09-29-2007, 07:15 AM
It’s the FTO's job to teach new Deputies/Officers how to be Cops. Not just the mechanics of doing the job, and not just the book, but to include the actual real life, day to day stuff.

FTO's today are putting out rookies that are robots that dont think of feel for themselves, just what the book says.

Part of what should be given to young officers by there FTO is the feeling of belonging to a group. That Criminal Justice Officers should stand together. That the "Blue Line" really is there.

A Highlands County Deputy wrote a fellow Deputy’s family member a ticket. The relative is himself a State Officer and a PBA brother. This in my opinion is very low. How would you the reader feel if this were to happen to your relatives?

I have Never and will Never write another Deputy/Officer a ticket. I have and will do everything in my power to help my brothers and sisters. Its how I was "brought up".

Officer discretion is a tool used everyday.

If you are an FTO that does try to do this, then I thank you. To the others just consider the message.

10-02-2007, 06:01 PM
And of course you know all the facts behind this incident...

10-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Point is, as if the facts change the outcome. Bottom line is.....a cop and a fellow cop was cited. For something that apparently could have been handled differently. Period.

10-04-2007, 03:25 AM
Point is, as if the facts change the outcome. Bottom line is.....a cop and a fellow cop was cited. For something that apparently could have been handled differently. Period.

No, the facts dont change the outcome. But knowing the facts can explain the outcome... but I guess then there would be nothing to complain about.

10-05-2007, 04:46 PM
There is no excuse for writing another LEO, period!! You are a disgrace to the profession and should be ashamed of yourself. I demand your resignation.

10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I didnt hear about this but would love to know the circumstances of this incident. I have been a cop for 27 years and have stopped literally hundreds of officers, deputies, FHP, sheriff's, chief's etc... I've only considered writing one that was a total prick, but still didnt write him. We are a brotherhood, we need to stand together against what the world is becoming!! Just my opinion....but I had much rather spend my time locking up real criminals than writing other LEO's.

10-05-2007, 10:57 PM
[quote="And even Yet again":ci7qupj0]Point is, as if the facts change the outcome. Bottom line is.....a cop and a fellow cop was cited. For something that apparently could have been handled differently. Period.

No, the facts dont change the outcome. But knowing the facts can explain the outcome... but I guess then there would be nothing to complain about.[/quote:ci7qupj0]

I guess you missed that part...."AS IF" about the facts changing the outcome. It's called reading for content.

But others not only seem to agree, but prove the same point, as well. "Kudos" to those who can comprehend basic English, and see bigger pictures than how many citations one writes at the end of the day.

10-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Ive been off of here for a few days. Its interesting to see the debate that has taken place.

If you want them here are some of the facts.

It happened just south of Avon Park on 27. Past the bridge up to the dealership is a 45mph zone. Then at the dealership jumps up to a 55mph Zone. I started to accelerate past the bridge to 60, and saw the deputy stopped in the drive next to the dealership (approx 25 yards from the 55 sign).

As I passed him, he pulled out behind me. I knew he was going to 10-50 so i pulled over before he even turned on the lights (past the sign now, that close) . I was in uniform, and had my DL, Veh, and Ins, papers ready for him when he came up. As he took them he said he thought i looked familiar. I said it must be my father since I look like him and he worked for the S.O. He then went back to his car, I thought to write out the warning at least. (still show activity and i can understand that.) But I was wrong, he came back and issued the citation for 60mph.

At no time was I smart or mouthing off to the guy. I did ask him his name though, to which he replied by giving it and stating that its on the ticket along with the lazer certification number.

I dont know about resignations or anything bad like that at all. I just think that a little growwing up or mentoring by the guys who have been around a bit more is needed for this "New" Deputy (or was it Deputy New? opps!)

Whats done is done so im now going to let it die, but i stand by my comments before about teaching and mentoring.

All of you be safe, and make sure you go home at the end of tour.

A brother in arms.

10-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Who was this Deputy?

10-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I cant believe that a cop would write another esp in uniform? What a prick. I gotta know who the citing officer was.

10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Ive been off of here for a few days. Its interesting to see the debate that has taken place.

If you want them here are some of the facts.

It happened just south of Avon Park on 27. Past the bridge up to the dealership is a 45mph zone. Then at the dealership jumps up to a 55mph Zone. I started to accelerate past the bridge to 60, and saw the deputy stopped in the drive next to the dealership (approx 25 yards from the 55 sign).

As I passed him, he pulled out behind me. I knew he was going to 10-50 so i pulled over before he even turned on the lights (past the sign now, that close) . I was in uniform, and had my DL, Veh, and Ins, papers ready for him when he came up. As he took them he said he thought i looked familiar. I said it must be my father since I look like him and he worked for the S.O. He then went back to his car, I thought to write out the warning at least. (still show activity and i can understand that.) But I was wrong, he came back and issued the citation for 60mph.

At no time was I smart or mouthing off to the guy. I did ask him his name though, to which he replied by giving it and stating that its on the ticket along with the lazer certification number.

I dont know about resignations or anything bad like that at all. I just think that a little growwing up or mentoring by the guys who have been around a bit more is needed for this "New" Deputy (or was it Deputy New? opps!)

Whats done is done so im now going to let it die, but i stand by my comments before about teaching and mentoring.

All of you be safe, and make sure you go home at the end of tour.

A brother in arms.

Well I am glad someone brought the "facts" out. It does make it easier. I am curious, state uniform being ?

10-11-2007, 03:11 AM
You only got one UTC? Wow, you got a break.

10-11-2007, 06:22 AM
1) Who is your "daddy" that works for HCSO and 2) you are lucky he only wrote you one ticket...he has to keep his "numbers" up....he tries to write hundred plus tickets a month..."Kudos" to him!!

10-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Well it seems the FTO's are teaching and the Rookies are learning. That is one FTO's favorite ticket writing spot. Seems his rookie did learn something. Maybe we need to teach the FTO'S how to be cops first.

10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I've been a LEO for 27 years now and cant understand the mind frame SOME of these traffic guys get into. I've known dozens of traffic guys in my time and it's always the same old story. They love to brag about how many tickets they write. It drives me crazy, I've worked almost every job position in law enforcement including traffic. LEO's have a huge amount of discretion, esp when it comes to writing UTC's. You can go an entire career without writing one UTC if you choose. But these traffic guys get into a ticket writing frenzy and will literally write anyone for anything. The smart ones use discretion and wont write LEO's unless thier backed in a corner. I know that the rookies have to go through the supercop phase, but still need to use common sense, esp when it comes to a fellow brother.

10-15-2007, 09:54 PM
It should not matter if you are a fellow LEO brother/sister. If you break the law then you deserve a UTC. The question you LEO's should ask is "Would I give the general public a UTC for the same law violation that my fellow LEO brother/sister had committed". If you would give it to the public then you should give it to the LEO.

10-16-2007, 01:39 AM
It should not matter if you are a fellow LEO brother/sister. If you break the law then you deserve a UTC. The question you LEO's should ask is "Would I give the general public a UTC for the same law violation that my fellow LEO brother/sister had committed". If you would give it to the public then you should give it to the LEO. I would love to know who you are, I would bet you would be the first person to badge another cop if you were stopped for a "traffic violation". Listen, if a fellow brother or sister is involved in something that is criminal, well lock them up if you think your career may be jeapardized. But a simple speeding violation it is at the officers discretion and other LEO's SHOULD NOT be issued a UTC. But I guess this all goes back to the original question, "what are our FTO's teaching?" To the above poster: Your an idiot if you think that your fellow LE brothers/sisters should be treated the same as the general public, you would probably be the first to whine if you were written a UTC.

10-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I know PLENTY of deputy's & their WIVES/GIRLFRIENDS/ETC. who speed everywhere they go & they think it's funny. They have been pulled over DOZENS of times in this County as well as other counties & started the famous "NAME DROPPING" like they always do if their husband is not in the car with them. Which has gotten them out of tickets. I don't think it's right to let these people get away with doing it time after time just because their baby daddy is a cop. Wrong is wrong. If I was caught doing something I shouldn't be, I'd take the punishment. BUT, the only time I WOULD say something to the person pulling me over is if I had a gun in my vehicle. (For their safety).
THAT is when it's necessary to mention something.
To me, it's USING & ABUSING the Sheriff's Office for your OWN PERSONAL GAIN! NOTHING MORE! It's WRONG! These people only care about them. They don't care if it the officer that pulled them over gets cased up & questioned by their Lt. or whoever WHY they let that person doing 85 in a 55 go when their A$$ should be going to court! They just brag the next day to their "friends" how yet again, their 'name dropping' worked & got them out of another ticket.
It's one thing if you are a LEO or even an employee of the Sheriff's Office, FHP, SPD, APPD, LPD, etc. to not be written for a traffic violation. It's just ridiculous to have repeat offenders get away with the same thing over & over because the deputy that pulled them over is too scared to write them.

10-26-2007, 05:11 PM
I know PLENTY of deputy's & their WIVES/GIRLFRIENDS/ETC. who speed everywhere they go & they think it's funny. They have been pulled over DOZENS of times in this County as well as other counties & started the famous "NAME DROPPING" like they always do if their husband is not in the car with them. Which has gotten them out of tickets. I don't think it's right to let these people get away with doing it time after time just because their baby daddy is a cop. Wrong is wrong. If I was caught doing something I shouldn't be, I'd take the punishment. BUT, the only time I WOULD say something to the person pulling me over is if I had a gun in my vehicle. (For their safety).
THAT is when it's necessary to mention something.
To me, it's USING & ABUSING the Sheriff's Office for your OWN PERSONAL GAIN! NOTHING MORE! It's WRONG! These people only care about them. They don't care if it the officer that pulled them over gets cased up & questioned by their Lt. or whoever WHY they let that person doing 85 in a 55 go when their A$$ should be going to court! They just brag the next day to their "friends" how yet again, their 'name dropping' worked & got them out of another ticket.
It's one thing if you are a LEO or even an employee of the Sheriff's Office, FHP, SPD, APPD, LPD, etc. to not be written for a traffic violation. It's just ridiculous to have repeat offenders get away with the same thing over & over because the deputy that pulled them over is too scared to write them.Look theres no problem with taking the necessary steps if you have a problem person who speeds all over town just because, and then throws it in your face.... But you have to treat each case differently. WE ALL SPEED!! Its a fact, but dont ruin a good LEOS driving record or livelyhood because of YOUR pride. It's just job, a job where you have all the descretion when it comes to UTC's. I have better things to do then write other LEO's, too many criminals running the streets to worry about my fellow brothers in LE. It 's not right to cite a LEO's wife either, your punishing the LEO as well. USE DESCRETION AND ALWAYS EXCERCIZE PROFESSIONAL COURTESY WHEN YOU CAN.

10-28-2007, 02:51 AM
There are only a few people who I have personally seen sitting in that spot near the dealership. I can't say his name, but I can say it rhymes with Rex, and used to work in the county north of here. He sits there all the time, and we all know how he is. You can just look at all the trainees he has so called trained. Everyone knows what is said about him and not to mention that entire squad.

True pay back would be to sit at the Circle K at 98 and 1015 him for DUI. You can find him there every weekend evening

10-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I am NOT saying to write another Law Enforcement officer. You need to learn how to read AND Spell (The person who responded to my response). The person who wrote what is said above me.... :D
That's all I have to say really. It's funny how the ones who hate DUI'S so much are the one's who do it themselves. Or like to drink heavily.
In my initial response I was talking about certain officer(s) wives who speed all the time, EVERYWHERE, and the WILL make it a point to drop their "Husbands" name whenever they get pulled over. It's all about the name droppin' & the fame game with them.
Some officers (including one I know VERY well) won't ticket her. Which when it becomes a HABIT, I think it NEEDS to be done to make a point & teach a lesson. If you disagree, good for you - hopefully you never get pulled into the Major or Capt's office explaining why you keep letting people go on traffic stops and that you sleep well enough at night saying "I used officer disgression on her sir. Well, yes, this was the 4th time I've pulled her over. But I can't give HER a ticket! She was ONLY doing 80 in a 45!".

10-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I am NOT saying to write another Law Enforcement officer. You need to learn how to read AND Spell (The person who responded to my response). The person who wrote what is said above me.... :D
That's all I have to say really. It's funny how the ones who hate DUI'S so much are the one's who do it themselves. Or like to drink heavily.
In my initial response I was talking about certain officer(s) wives who speed all the time, EVERYWHERE, and the WILL make it a point to drop their "Husbands" name whenever they get pulled over. It's all about the name droppin' & the fame game with them.
Some officers (including one I know VERY well) won't ticket her. Which when it becomes a HABIT, I think it NEEDS to be done to make a point & teach a lesson. If you disagree, good for you - hopefully you never get pulled into the Major or Capt's office explaining why you keep letting people go on traffic stops and that you sleep well enough at night saying "I used officer disgression on her sir. Well, yes, this was the 4th time I've pulled her over. But I can't give HER a ticket! She was ONLY doing 80 in a 45!".

10-30-2007, 01:41 PM

10-30-2007, 01:42 PM

10-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Some officers (including one I know VERY well) won't ticket her. Which when it becomes a HABIT, I think it NEEDS to be done to make a point & teach a lesson. If you disagree, good for you - hopefully you never get pulled into the Major or Capt's office explaining why you keep letting people go on traffic stops and that you sleep well enough at night saying "I used officer disgression on her sir. Well, yes, this was the 4th time I've pulled her over. But I can't give HER a ticket! She was ONLY doing 80 in a 45!".Your complaining about my spelling? What the heck is "disgression"? It is spelled discretion....learn to spell yourself before you complain about others. You obviously know nothing about the word or it's meaning. And what the Capt and Major dont know wont hurt them, but then again you seem like the kind of person that would tell on yourself....trust me I know your type. Just do your job and remember what goes around comes around!! Also. learn how to use the computer, you submitted 4 posts the read the exact same thing.

11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Woooow you're so powerful there "Guest554". What's the matter? You afriad to put your real name down? Hmm...I can only imagine who this is. Not like I care. Truth hurt?
And for your information smartass, this site was having problems whenever my last post was put on here 4 times, it wasn't me just adding it on over & over.
We all can't be PERFECT like you!

11-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Woooow you're so powerful there "Guest554". What's the matter? You afriad to put your real name down? Hmm...I can only imagine who this is. Not like I care. Truth hurt?
And for your information smartass, this site was having problems whenever my last post was put on here 4 times, it wasn't me just adding it on over & over.
We all can't be PERFECT like you!Your correct, I am perfect. No, No names will be given, actually, you would have to be pretty stupid to put your name on here(since the public has access to this), your just making a fool of yourself (publicly), but I hear that's nothing new for you. And I dont need some rouge rookie female writing my LAW ENFORCEMENT FAMILY UTC's. Let's see....can't spell....can't operate the computer...Did you used to work at Mickey D's?

12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow you're so intelligent. And I'm just literally crying from your wiseass putdowns. RIGHT!! You're just another one who think's their $hit don't stink because of the uniform you put on. Too bad you still wipe you A$$ the same way as everyone else! WTF is a "Rough Rookie Female"? You're proving your IQ more & more with every comment you make.
Why do you keep abbreviating everything you write? Is that because you can't spell it? Just wondering. I NEVER once said people should write anyone or their family - if you get your head out of your A$$ you'll see that I said that wives/girlfriends/etc. shouldn't use their husbands/boyfriends/fiance's/etc. job as a "free pass" out of a ticket. It's wrong. That's all I said. If it offends you then you're guilty. Plain & simple.

12-11-2007, 03:36 AM
Wow you're so intelligent. And I'm just literally crying from your wiseass putdowns. RIGHT!! You're just another one who think's their $hit don't stink because of the uniform you put on. Too bad you still wipe you A$$ the same way as everyone else! WTF is a "Rough Rookie Female"? You're proving your IQ more & more with every comment you make.
Why do you keep abbreviating everything you write? Is that because you can't spell it? Just wondering. I NEVER once said people should write anyone or their family - if you get your head out of your A$$ you'll see that I said that wives/girlfriends/etc. shouldn't use their husbands/boyfriends/fiance's/etc. job as a "free pass" out of a ticket. It's wrong. That's all I said. If it offends you then you're guilty. Plain & simple.If you would shut your hole long enough to read the statement maybe you would understand it. It says "rouge" not "rough" dumba$$. You truly are a moron, I find it hard to believe that you wear a uniform. I bet your Sgt has a lot of fun with your reports. Why are you so harsh on my abbreviations? Because you can't figure out what I'm writing? Your dumber than owl sh!t.

12-11-2007, 03:02 PM
You know who the dumbass is????? YOU STUPID ****! Where in the **** did you read where I wrote that I was a cop? You're a low-life retard! Why don't you do everyone a favor & blow your brains through the other side of your head asshole! That would be great!
You are a stupid son of a *****! Who do you work for? Sebring PD? You're a loser! I hope the Sheriff didn't hire your dumbass. It was probably Godwin who did. Yet another mistake he made.
Go **** yourself. I'm sure no one else would or will. I can't imagine you have a gun much less pretend to be a dignified professional. So I typed ROUGE wrong - excuse me! Grow up! Either way "rouge rookie" doesn't make sense.

12-13-2007, 12:23 AM
You know who the dumbass is????? YOU STUPID fazugie! Where in the fazugie did you read where I wrote that I was a cop? You're a low-life retard! Why don't you do everyone a favor & blow your brains through the other side of your head *** VIRUS ALERT ***! That would be great!
You are a stupid son of a *****! Who do you work for? Sebring PD? You're a loser! I hope the Sheriff didn't hire your dumbass. It was probably Godwin who did. Yet another mistake he made.
Go fazugie yourself. I'm sure no one else would or will. I can't imagine you have a gun much less pretend to be a dignified professional. So I typed ROUGE wrong - excuse me! Grow up! Either way "rouge rookie" doesn't make sense.

Someone forgot to take there happy pills today. and i can only pray you are not an leo because ya sound like nut.

02-23-2014, 11:49 AM
I have been in Law Enforcement for almost 30 yrs. in another county south of here. I have been an FTD (Field Training Deputy) for many of those years and have trained many new recruits. I have always advised trainees to use discretion when issuing UTC, but never write another LEO on the job or retired, unless there is good reason to do so. When we are off duty and make a mistake it is an Occupational Hazard, something we are doing everyday we work. You can't just stop doing these things on you day off or to and from work, it's a habit for us. If you have one bad apple and the apple stays rotten, throw it out.
This officer needs to be made an example of to show him how vulnerable anyone can be, Tit for Tat.

02-25-2014, 12:59 AM
"The relative is himself a State Officer and a PBA brother."

So, it's a state correctional officer. Glad we cleared that up. Wonder why the OP didn't just write that? Oh, that's right, because writing a CO a ticket and a cop a ticket are two completely different things. Pay your ticket and move on.

02-26-2014, 02:45 AM
Way to necro a 6 year old thread...