PDA

View Full Version : Cool Video

09-24-2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.officer.com/videonetwork/ind ... wid=378811 (http://www.officer.com/videonetwork/index.jsp?showid=378811)

09-24-2007, 02:45 AM
the last 15 seconds of the video is AWSOME!!! Great Job

09-24-2007, 04:01 AM
the last 15 seconds of the video is AWSOME!!! Great Job

Don't call it "AWESOME" bro, somebody died in that. I'm sure the officer wasn't ecstatic about the fact that he was forced to take somebodies life.

09-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Beginning: I just had a vehicle try and ram me? I saw the cop trying to box him in, and the vehicle drove around him. No S24!

Based on our policy, as soon as that guy made the u-turn/took evasive action, that should of been a 10-8.

End: That was very stupid of the officer to get on top of the hood like that, and if he had no choice because the car went forward, it was stupid of him to be standing in front of car. He is lucky to be alive!

09-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Your right, Awesome was the wrong word on that one. It was more like an "Awesome" Hollywood type incident (like you would see in the movies).

09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Beginning: I just had a vehicle try and ram me? I saw the cop trying to box him in, and the vehicle drove around him. No S24!

Based on our policy, as soon as that guy made the u-turn/took evasive action, that should of been a 10-8.

End: That was very stupid of the officer to get on top of the hood like that, and if he had no choice because the car went forward, it was stupid of him to be standing in front of car. He is lucky to be alive!

The officer stopped driving his car forward or he would have been hit. If YOU were walking towards somebody and they attempted to punch you, but you stopped walking forward to avoid the punch, that would be attempted battery. Same thing if the guy is driving a 2 ton vehicle at you.

Also, you're failing to recall the vehicle was stolen, and the officer recignized it as such and stated that on the radio.

Those 2 things means under our policy we would have pursued.

I don't know why, but sometimes we ( meaning you ) are our own worst enemies by Monday morning QB'ing what somebody does in the heat of a situation like this.

09-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Agreed...We were taught that from day one. You never put yourself in front of a vehicle especialy on foot. That idiot in the car didn't have to die that way.

09-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Agreed...We were taught that from day one. You never put yourself in front of a vehicle especialy on foot. That idiot in the car didn't have to die that way.

Well we're taught in grade school to listen to police and not to steal things. So maybe the police officer isn't the only one who was doing something you wouldn't normally do yourself.

The lesson here is 1) Don't steal cars 2) Don't run from the police and 3) Obey police commands, especially when guns have been drawn. If the bad guy had done any of those 3 things, he'd be alive right now.

09-24-2007, 11:15 PM

How can you possibly know all the facts from that video? It cut in & out numerous times near the end. That was a typical high stress pursuit, and it would be stupid to judge what was and wasn't done when we can view it in our homes without a care in the world. Especially being a officer, you should know better and realize how quickly things can violently evolve. I was not there and don't know the facts either, and I might guess that the car had come to rest where the drivers door was not accessible and the officer was climbing on top to extract the driver, when he began to drive off with officer in tow. Who knows, other then the fact that it was a high speed dangerous situation for the Leo's involved and they went home at the end of the shift!

09-25-2007, 09:13 AM
"I might guess that the car had come to rest where the drivers door was not accessible and the officer was climbing on top to extract the driver, when he began to drive off with officer in tow".

Again, if your guess is right, he was stupid to be climbing on the hood to be extracting the perp from the car. Box the guy in, give him verbal commands, stay behind cover. If the vehicle is contained there is NO reason to be climbing on top of it. Smash a window, tazer the guy, slash the tires to immobilize the vehicle etc. etc. I think this issue has been discussed numerous times in I.S.T.

Just because an incident is a high stress situation, it doesn't mean that you have to lose your head, your temper or think out of your azz. That is when its time to keep your cool and be smart so that you or your fellow officers won't get hurt. How many pursuit videos have you seen where at the end of the pursuit, everybody runs up to the car from opposite directions, creating a crossfire situation if the perp happen to be ten-zero and the cops had to start shooting! DUMB!

When I or anybody views a police videos, they should critic it. It is a valuable training tool, its not judging the officer. You look at it, discuss what you believe the officer did right/wrong, and how you would react in a similar situation.

One of the biggest mistakes that officers make is that they choose this career, and think that the FTEP is the only training that they need. This is an evolving career, very dynamic, where things change from day to day. You have to prepare yourself mentally and physically. Walk yourself thorugh scenarios. Take as many training courses as you can, even if you have to pay for them.

Trust me, the next time you are around a stressful situation, take a look around and you will be able to see the difference between the ones that were prepared for the situation and the ones that don't understand or don't care to understand the seriousness of the task they have undertaken when they became a cop.

Be safe, be smart!

09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Maybe I've been off the street for too long. I have never heard of an "attempted battery". I've heard of "assault", but never "attempted battery"

09-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Maybe I've been off the street for too long. I have never heard of an "attempted battery". I've heard of "assault", but never "attempted battery"

Well smarty, the fact that you knew exactly what I was taking about proves my point that it WAS an assault, and not simply somebody driving away.

And is an asault not an attempted battery? If it isn't than enlighten me Oh Hamarabi!!!

09-25-2007, 11:40 PM
"I might guess that the car had come to rest where the drivers door was not accessible and the officer was climbing on top to extract the driver, when he began to drive off with officer in tow".

Again, if your guess is right, he was stupid to be climbing on the hood to be extracting the perp from the car. Box the guy in, give him verbal commands, stay behind cover. If the vehicle is contained there is NO reason to be climbing on top of it. Smash a window, tazer the guy, slash the tires to immobilize the vehicle etc. etc. I think this issue has been discussed numerous times in I.S.T.

Just because an incident is a high stress situation, it doesn't mean that you have to lose your head, your temper or think out of your azz. That is when its time to keep your cool and be smart so that you or your fellow officers won't get hurt. How many pursuit videos have you seen where at the end of the pursuit, everybody runs up to the car from opposite directions, creating a crossfire situation if the perp happen to be ten-zero and the cops had to start shooting! DUMB!

When I or anybody views a police videos, they should critic it. It is a valuable training tool, its not judging the officer. You look at it, discuss what you believe the officer did right/wrong, and how you would react in a similar situation.

One of the biggest mistakes that officers make is that they choose this career, and think that the FTEP is the only training that they need. This is an evolving career, very dynamic, where things change from day to day. You have to prepare yourself mentally and physically. Walk yourself thorugh scenarios. Take as many training courses as you can, even if you have to pay for them.

Trust me, the next time you are around a stressful situation, take a look around and you will be able to see the difference between the ones that were prepared for the situation and the ones that don't understand or don't care to understand the seriousness of the task they have undertaken when they became a cop.

Be safe, be smart!

I agree with much of your post, but every officer, regardless of training, will react differently to high stress situations.

I think what the poster was trying to say is, too many officers get wrongly judged by people who were not at the scene and unaware of the totality of the circumstances as perceived by the ones who were.

Each officer may perceive a threat differently, in the seconds it sometimes takes to make a life & death decision.

I also agree that we should use these videos for training. Unfortunately a lot of defense attorney's think that just because you have been trained a certain way, that you were wrong and liable if the situation causes you to deviate from your training.

My response to that is, unless you were there and knew what the officers frame of mind was, it is impossible to judge someone.

Of course, if you can prove that the officer acted a particular way out of malice, then that is a different situation entirely.

09-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Just curious...Have you ever charged anyone with "attempted battery"? Idiot

09-26-2007, 07:01 AM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME………………………That is what’s wrong with society today. Twenty years ago, in my day, these pieces of garbage would get what was coming to them. The moron that wrote, “That idiot in the car didn't have to die that way”. Again, are you kidding me? He made up his own mind.

YOU DON’T RUN FROM THE COPS…………………………….That is not hard to comprehend. I have been to several different countries and I can tell you, if you run from the police standby to get what’s coming to you.

We do not live in a society were the laws were just made up yesterday. Back years ago that piece of garbage would be hanging from a large oak tree (I like to watch the history channel) for stealing someone’s property that they worked hard to obtain. Ya, we have insurance now but it’s still yours and you worked hard for it. It makes you wonder were societies backbone has wondered to over the years. I feel for you guys/girls in Law Enforcement that have to listen to these bleeding hearts wine about their sons and daughters that break the laws of this great nation.

They always say that history repeats its self. Maybe one day when things get to a certain point, these bleeding hearts will be the victims of something and realize how important you Law Enforcement Officers are.

I will close this message, for one it’s way past my bedtime, by saying thank you for all of you that protect us “old folks” and thank you for going that extra mile to ensure that most of us can wake up and not find everything stolen by some piece of garbage.

09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Just curious...Have you ever charged anyone with "attempted battery"? Idiot

I've charged somebody with assault, and if somebody asked you to define an "assault" how would you describe it??

Probably as a battery attempt that failed which equals "Attempted Battery".......idiot.