PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Tenn

09-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Is cookeville near jefferson county, Dandridge, and are you hiring .

09-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Cookeville is not really anywhere near Dandridge or Jefferson County.

Cookeville is just east of Nashville. Dandridge and Jefferson County are east of Knoxville.

Cookeville and Dandridge are probably about 3.5 to 4 hours apart by car.

Dude, buy a map or look on mapquest.

09-26-2007, 03:13 AM
I am looking for a new place to live and was told that some retired Miami cops are living there. Do you all know a sherrif or cop named Gus Clemente?
I also would like to know about any part time jobs available?
I want to move the hell out of south florida and with my pension and a small paying job should be okay.
How is the housing? Any state taxes or other homestead taxes? Thank u...

09-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I am a retired cop from Broward, and I live in Cookeville, Gus lives near me, and he is the Chief Deputy (2nd in command) for the White County Sheriff's Office in Sparta (about 15 mins S of Cookeville)

There are many retired cops living in this area. Many from Miami Dade, and other places throughout Florida, NY, LA and other places as well

Cop jobs up here are available, however, the pay is VERY low. Try 12-14 dollars an hour! If you really want to work, find something else!

09-27-2007, 01:30 PM
forgot to answer your questions about costs.

real estate taxes - VERY low big house, land - 1500 annually
Homeowners insurance - 900 annually
car insurance - 50% of what I was paying in FL
electric - 5000sf home - 200 a month to cool in the Summer months - 225 to heat in the Winter

sales tax HIGH 9.25%
NO state Income tax like FL
annual car registration - 25.00

good luck!

09-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Which dept are you from in Broward?

09-29-2007, 09:46 PM
BSO 25 years

02-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Over the past four months I have been looking for my retirement home in Tennessee and North Carolina. I drove to Tennessee the first visit and it was a long trip, the second trip I discovered an airline called Alegent Air and for $49 one way fare, I landed in Knoxville. Well worth the money. Alegent Air is based in Ft. Lauderdale and flies back and forth to Tennessee every three days. You can arrange a rental car through them also. The total cost of my trip which includes air fare, car rental and hotel for three days was $400.00.

I just retired from Aventura Police Department and I am still looking to work another 5 to 7 years somewhere. Hope this helps you out.

02-04-2008, 01:13 PM
To Ofc Bob,

Like you I spent over a year looking for somewhere to live in Tennessee which I found. I recently took a job there as well and hope I can help you out some.

I worked in Dade County for 26 years know severl al NMB cops that went to Aventura when it tokk it over from the district 6. Let me know how to contact you if you like. Good luck.

02-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I've been in Middle Tennessee for three years having retired from an agency in South Florida. Unlike the other posters, I have no desire to return to police work up here. The pay is terrible! I mean unbelievably terrible. These guys up here have lousy pay and benefits, and no Union representation. Not worth strapping a gun on again in my opinion. Plenty of other jobs for retired LEOs, you just have to be patient and look for them.

02-09-2008, 10:56 PM
GREAT to see another officer from here up there ! I loved it when I made the trip. The only major change in personnel was the retirement of the Chief, what a great loss for us. Steinburg is now the Chief has made alot of rank changes (structure) in the chain. New can be better, it just takes time.

I guess that what took me by suprise was when the people waved there was nothing in their hands. No guns,bats, and all 5 fingers were exposed. :lol: I'll bet you are happy there, here it is worse, I have attended 6 officers laid to rest this year and our cars are getting armor plated ! What a mess over here, hug your family and thank god you are out of here. :!:

You know that Linda is out of NMB now, she was a good person and she will be missed. ake care and I may wind up working there if I meet their standards.

02-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Ofc Bob,

As far as their State standards go here in Tenn, they will accept our Florida certifications, we just have to take a 100 question written test I have been told.

I worked with the people you named in the early 80's before I left NMB, I only wish them all the best of luck.

You will have to get used to the cold here at times but everything else is so much better.

If you need help once you figure out where you want to live please let me know. Good luck and be safe.

You will also have to forget your Q codes here as well, 10-4.

02-11-2008, 05:17 AM
HEY BROTHER NEXT TIME I COME UP THERE, WHAT CAN I BRING YOU ? HOW ABOUT SOME SAND OR PATCHES ? WHAT CAN I BRING YOU ? BY THE WAY IT LOOKS LIKE SKIP WILL BE A MAJOR, HE GOT BACK FROM THE FBI COMMAND SCHOOL LAST YEAR. A GREAT PERSON TO WORK FOR, SHOULD BE A CHIEF, WHAT A LEADER. KAPI IS SEINOR SGT FOR ROAD PATROL AND IS QRU WITH THAT. DEED F IS STILL CMDR AND WE ARE RIGHT BEHIND NMB IN ARRESTS. CHECK FDLE STATS. ANY WAY TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS. I WILL BE BACK ONT THIS SITE NEXT SUNDAY.

02-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Ofc Bob,

Thanks for the offer to bring something up but all is good here. Just bring yourself and some good health and we can hook up. Be safe and I will talk with you again. QRU.

02-16-2008, 01:04 AM
WATCHED A FATAL CRASH UNFOLD FROM START TO END, (BISCAYNE BV)
HAD A 27 TURN INTO A 22 TO A 3-17THE LIST WENT ON, HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!! NMB IS 09-39 CITY. GOTTA LOVE IT.

02-19-2008, 05:45 AM
FHP IS GETTING THEIR ASS HANDED TO THEM AS THE GREAT STATE OF FLA PASSED THEM UP FOR A RAISE. SO RATHER THEN SIT AROUND AND ***** ABOUT IT I CALLED THE GOV OFFICE AND STARTED THE BALL ROLLING. READ THE FORUM ON FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL. I ALSO CONTACTED THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO MAKE IT KNOWN THAT A SECURITY GUARD GETS PAID AS MUCH AS OUR BROTHERS. THIS WEEK WILL BE A START TO MAKE THE PAY THERE BETTER FOR OUR BROTHERS. WHY, BECAUSE I CARE ! TAKE CARE.

02-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Does anyonr have any information on Rutherford County SO. I hear it is a decent agency any will be applying there. Any help would be appriciated.

02-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Sorry for the spelling errors. (anyone,appreciated)

02-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Hey there, I have a contract for a mountain home located in Sevierville, do you know of that place and how far is it from you ? I'll be up there in about two weeks. Today is 02/24/08, can you advise !

02-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Sevierville is about 2 to 2.5 hours East of Cookeville. We are in the center of the state, in between Knoxville and Nashville. Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are all East of Knoxville (Eastern Tennessee)

Good Luck with the house!

02-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi Bob, you are about 3 hrs east of me, I am in the Nashville area.
Who do you work for currently, Steinberg or where Linda retired from ?

Let me know if you will be heading west from there ? Thanks.

03-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Looks as if Seviervle is where we will be ! I just retired and will be working at yet one more police depament prior to retirement. Jobhutingis tough right now, but City of Miamilooks godoes some of the smller Departments. Can't get it out of my blood and have been in for 34 years. Aventura was my last deprtment an Skip was my Capt. My cell# is 305 970 5586 Bob is my name. If you need anythng just ask.

03-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Best of luck Bob, be safe at City of Miami and keep your head down.

Let us know how it goes. Talk to you soon.

03-05-2008, 07:08 AM
I WILL BE UP THERE ON OR ABOUT THE 15TH OF MARCH. :) IN CASE YOU OR SOMEONE UP COLLECTS PATCHES I WILL BRING THEM WITH ME. 8)

03-07-2008, 03:29 AM
What QTH for you ???? on the 15th ?

03-10-2008, 01:29 AM
I've been in Middle Tennessee for three years having retired from an agency in South Florida. Unlike the other posters, I have no desire to return to police work up here. The pay is terrible! I mean unbelievably terrible. These guys up here have lousy pay and benefits, and no Union representation. Not worth strapping a gun on again in my opinion. Plenty of other jobs for retired LEOs, you just have to be patient and look for them.

What dept? and what did you find for work?

03-18-2008, 01:11 AM
I retired from Aventura, a state of the art department. We have all the toys: LAP TOPS, BULLET PROOF PATROL VEHICLES, TASERS, LASER, TAKE HOMES AND TRAINING,SWAT,K-9 MARINE PATROL, MOTORS, AND MORE.

03-18-2008, 01:18 AM
JUST GOT BACK, SORRY I MISSED YOU, :( BUT COULDN'T RAISE YOU IN TIME. NICE LOCATION, WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE EQUIPMENT OF SEVIERVILE AND PIGON FORGE. 8) LOOKS LIKE WE WILL BUY THE HOME AND RENT IT OUT OVER 7 YEARS. :wink: IT WILL PAY FOR IT SELF. AM THINKING OF 3 MORE AND MAKE IT A BUSINESS. JUST 20 MIN FROM DOLLYWOOD. :P

03-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Do any of you gentlemen have any information on Rutherford County SO or Sullivan County SO. Looks like two good agencies and thinking of applying.

03-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi Fla Sgt,

Sorry, I don't know much about those agencies you asked about. Are you looking to live in that area ? What part of Fla are you escaping from and can you sell your home there or are you trapped ?
I know you understand the escapin Florida part, good luck and if I can help you with info I will.

03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Westcoast below Tampa. Sold my house last year and am renting now because of how thing are.

I appied at both of those agencies and the are looked very nice. I moved here 17 years ogo when my dad got promoted with his job thinking it would be cool to live in Florida. I can't stand it and am ready to come back to the south.

03-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Fla /Sgt,

Your choice to exit Fla is a wise one. Do you know where you want to live in Tenn ? If you give me a way to contact you I will and give you more nfo. Best of luck.

03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I am looking in Sullivan and Rutherford counties right now. I perfer middle/east Tn. I need to get hired first, so I am just applying and departments right now.

08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I am a police officer in south Florida and am looking to come to central or east Tennessee. I have looked at Cookeville PD but I just missed the testing date. I have looked into Anderson County and several others. Not many hiring right now. Does anyone have any leads on a good agency or even a good area to look into to keep an app on file. I am still young in my career, so I will have many years to remain working in this field.

Thanks in advance

08-24-2008, 01:53 AM
I retired after 18 years with the Broward Sheriff's Office to take a posistion as a Deputy Chief with the Franklin Police Department. Franklin is a great area and a fine department, we are testing in October for new officers.
Please refer to the City of Franklin web site.

Dave Rahinsky
http://www.franklin-gov.com/police/operations.aspx

08-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the information on Franklin. The web site was informative. Does Franklin have a ride along program? I will be coming to the area soon and was looking to possibly do a ride along.
Thanks,
Brad

09-01-2008, 01:30 AM
We do have a ride along, feel free to call the Department and ask for me (Deputy Chief Rahinsky).
We plan on hiring 8 in October.

08-06-2009, 05:06 AM
I will be retiring in approx 5 years from Davie and will be way too young to stop working. Can anyone advise what the process is in becoming a LEO for a county or municipality. Is the academy a requirement or do they have a comparative compliance process? Also what is the pay and benefits like. I'm sure they are nowhere near those of South Florida. I will be moving to the Cumberland Lakes/Cove area. Any help would be appreciated.

Shadow 1
04-18-2010, 08:38 AM
I will be retiring in approx 5 years from Davie and will be way too young to stop working. Can anyone advise what the process is in becoming a LEO for a county or municipality. Is the academy a requirement or do they have a comparative compliance process? Also what is the pay and benefits like. I'm sure they are nowhere near those of South Florida. I will be moving to the Cumberland Lakes/Cove area. Any help would be appreciated.

I too came from S. Florida (North Palm Beach PD). I work for Cookeville PD. As of right now (probably soon to change) if you are a certified FL officer, you only need to "challenge" the Tennessee POST exam. In order to do this, you must be employed by an agency who will send you to take the exam in Nashville. This exam is no joke. It was very hard and 80% of out of state officers fail it the first time. You get 2 chances, after that you have to go to an academy.

Benefits for city municipalities are far better than Sheriffs departments. I started in White County S.O. where there is NO benefits, no even medical ins. If your moving to the Cumberland Cove area which I believe is Cumberland County, The S.O. or city doesn't really pay....25,000 maybe 30. Cookeville has a lateral where pay commences with experience. Cookeville is a good agency to work for. They post hiring in the Herald Citizen paper. You apply, they notify you of a physical agility testing date, if you pass you get an interview. If you make it after the interview they send you a monster application to fill out. If you pass the background your hired. No polygraphs or CVSA's.....

12-31-2011, 09:18 PM
My family and I have been talking about leaving this God forsaken state of FL and moving to TN. Can anyone give me any good areas in TN to move to? And any agencies that are hiring. I do have a BA degree in Criminology and many certifications to include Traffic Investigations, Gang task force, IPMBA, and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) to name a few. Currently a Sgt with a Federal Agency but would rather just work with a city as a patrol officer or narcotics K-9 officer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.