PDA

View Full Version : About Hiring and being a CO

09-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Please try to keep this postive

How long is the applicaiton process?
I see there is a 2 year contract you have to sign because they are putting you though the academy will they come after you if you leave before your time is up wanting some money etc?
How does bid work on what shifts?

09-22-2007, 08:46 PM
The FDOC hiring process is pretty lax compared to the Sheriffs offices. This is based primarily on their pay. Not to say that DOC does not have some great officers. I have worked for DOC before for many years and am currently working for them again. I believe if the entire process is followed you can expect 2-4 months from start to finish. You will have to attend the basic recruit academy that they will sponsor you through that will last about 3 months (540 hours). I have been out for a while but as far as shift assignments are concerned, you will be assigned to a certain shift and a certain post and there you will stay for a while. Shift assignments are based on seniority and days off are based on seniority with days off assigned to the post you are assigned to. Requesting shift/post changes are normally granted on seniority and you will probably find some favoritism. Knowing DOC like I do, I doubt if you do not fulfill the two year requirement, they will do little to get their money.
You will be grossly underpaid working for the state but depending on the institution you work at, could be greatly better then a county jail. Benefits are about the same between the two. Work at a state facility can some times be easier than at the jail. Most jails are equally as understaffed and are paying big over time. If money is you prime motivator, the county will always pay more.
Where are you planning on applying? Any other questions let me know

09-22-2007, 10:18 PM
If you are young and have a clooege degree, you need to hook up with a sheriff office. Do not waste your time with the department of paperwork!

09-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Unfortunately, true. I'm thinking of leaving here as a PO to be a corrections officer at my county jail. After 8 years of being a PO, I will get a pay raise to be a CO at my county jail. Shift work will suck, but the pay and treatment will be better.

09-22-2007, 11:38 PM
From what I can tell, it seems that this new secretary is trying to take the department in a better direction. Of course, PBA is fighting some of the changes and old timers are pissing and moaning but I think he has the potential to do some good things. Until some one in Tallahassee wakes up and they get the pay straight, they will always be a training ground for everyone else. DOC has some great people but they can not keep them and will always loose the good ones. If you are at the right institution and do not need a lot of money then they are not too bad. You will have a lot of supervisors that are clueless and a lot of your peers that are lazy. But you get what you pay for.

09-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Lets see what PBA is fighting for lately? This year, no raise. This year, no gun bill. This year, no local meetings. This year, all new rules thrown in our face by central office. This year, insurance goes up and vision taken out of our insurance. What I see is that our union has not done jack for us lately!!!! :evil:

09-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Believe me, I am no fan of the PBA. The union is pretty much a joke. Is there one that might make a change??
Without any support in Tallahassee and any support from the law makers, you can have three unions representing you and there still will be nothing. They have the big bus trips to Tallahassee to see our reps and we still end up with nothing. It would seem that Uncle Charlie will be doing nothing to help either so I guess no matter how ya look at it, we are screwed. When I first started in 85, I made 14K. When I left in 98 I made 32K as a LT. Nine years later I come back and I am starting at 28K. Wonder why there jumping ship.

09-23-2007, 04:13 PM
if i leave before the 2 years will i have to pay back my academy

09-23-2007, 06:14 PM

that shouldn't be a problem with all the extra $$$$$$$ you'll be making elsewhere. so shut up and leave already.

09-23-2007, 09:12 PM
They might but I have not heard of anyone having to pay it back. A lot of the county jails will sponsor you, go hire on with them and let them send you!!

09-30-2007, 04:54 AM
The turnover rate for jail officers is way higher than road deputies or probation.

10-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Law Enforcement Deputy - Hillsborough County, FL

Position Type
Position Title
Sheriff/Deputy
Law Enforcement Deputy
Requirements/Overview

21 years of age or older.
A United States Citizen.
Must Possess a valid Florida Driver's License at time of employment.
Must not have used any illegal drugs within 36 months of making application.
No use of tobacco products within the previous six (6) months. (includes smokeless tobacco).
No felony convictions.
No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement or domestic violence.
For Law Enforcement Applicants:

Associate's Degree or equivalent from an accredited college, university, community college, or three (3) years experience as a law enforcement officer, or three (3) years active duty U.S. Military service, or three (3) years service as a certified Detention Deputy or Reserve I or II Deputy with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
No more than three (3) moving violations within the past five (5) years.
No more than five (5) moving violations total on driving history.
Out of State Certified Applicants
If you possess an out-of-state law enforcement certification, it may be accepted in Florida under certain conditions. To learn how to obtain your Florida Equivalency of Training, contact the Police Applicant Screening Service:

Allstate Center Suite No.135
3200 34th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL
727-864-3822

For additional information on obtaining Florida law enforcement certification, please visit the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's website.

Additional Information

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office consists of more than 1,200 sworn law enforcement deputies. These deputies are tasked with providing law enforcement services for the residents within the unincorporated area of Hillsborough County. Patrol services include response to emergency and non-emergency calls for service, traffic enforcement, traffic crash investigations, selective enforcement and community oriented policing services.
Benefits
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office values the contributions of its law enforcement personnel. The office's outstanding benefits package is one of the ways the HCSO retains its current employees and attracts new personnel to the agency.

The Sheriff is committed to providing a positive working environment centered on a generous Benefits Package, which includes but is not limited to:

Health and dental plans
Sick leave and disability
13 Leave options (Vacation, Holiday etc…)
Cafeteria Fund
Education Incentive Fund
Paid Overtime and Court time
All uniforms provided (except firearms and footwear)
Take home car within Hillsborough County at no expense. If living in a contiguous county there is a fee for mileage.
Tuition assistance up to $1,500 per fiscal year for undergraduate, graduate, and post graduate course work at an accredited college, university or community college, if funding is available.
Veteran's Apprenticeship Training Program available.
Application and Selection Process, Non-Certified
Applicants will bring copies of the applicable documents listed below to:

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
Recruitment and Screening Office
2008 E. 8th Ave.
Ybor City, Tampa, FL
between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Out of area applicants may mail in the documents along with a cover letter indicating the position they are applying for.

Official (sealed) high school and college transcripts, (Copy of letter requesting same will be accepted.)
Resume
Copy of birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or original naturalization papers.
Two (2) copies of driver's license.
Two (2) copies of Social Security Card
A copy of military discharge papers, (DD 214), if applicable or if male and between the ages of 18-25 a copy of Selective Service card.
A copy of all documented name changes.
If any of the above documents are missing the file will not be accepted. A PIN will then be given to the applicant to access the online application.

Once the application is received it will be reviewed by Recruitment and Screening Bureau staff. If it is determined the applicant is competitive for the position an interview will be scheduled.

At the interview the applicant will be scheduled for a polygraph interview, and the Physical Ability Assessment (PAA).

The remainder of the process will be the same as a certified applicant's, after all of the above listed requirements have been met.

Once the above conditions have been satisfactorily completed and the background investigation finished, applicants will become eligible for selection for an academy.

If selected, the applicant will see a clinical psychologist and a medical exam will be scheduled. The applicant will then complete an online Civil Service application.

Application and Selection Process, Certified
Complete a Civil Service application online. You will be contacted by the Civil Service Board regarding your eligibility status. If you are notified that you have been placed on the eligibility list your next step is to follow the instructions listed above for Non-Certified applicants.

Additional Documentation (Required by Sheriff's Office):
To prepare for the application process you will need to gather the below listed documents. You will be given instructions for the submission of these documents and instructed in the next step of the application process by Civil Service personnel. It is important to remember that these documents should not be turned in or mailed to the Civil Service Board.

Copy of Law Enforcement Academy Certificate.
Copy of state exam score indicating a passing grade.
Copy of valid driver's license.
Copy of social security card.
Copy of birth certificate.
Copy of high school diploma or GED certificate.
Official transcript(s) for any higher education.
Copy of military DD214 (if applicable).
Copy of Selective Service Card if male between the ages of 18-25 and no military service.
The application for Law Enforcement Deputy is now online. Only after all required documentation has been turned in will the applicant receive a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access the online application. You will be given instructions by Civil Service personnel about how to obtain a PIN.

Please note that our minimum qualifications have substantially changed for Law Enforcement Deputy. If you are not sure that you qualify please click on the Minimum Qualifications tab.

The applicant will be required to complete testing which will include, but may not be limited to, a polygraph examination, physical abilities assessment, written and psychological evaluation, medical physical examination and a drug screen. Please go to the "Join Us" tab for a complete explanation of the background investigation and testing process.

For further information on the individual steps for the application process your Recruitment and Screening staff may be reached at:

813-247-8070 or 1-800-343-4276 ext. 8070

Salary

$ 39,115.44 - $61,042.80 10Y TOP OUT :D

Posting Date

2007-09-24

Closing Date

Open Until Filled

Job Last Updated

2007-09-24

Job Announcement/More Information Web Site

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/RandS/index.html

Department/County Web Site

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/

10-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Law Enforcement Deputy - Hillsborough County, FL

Position Type
Position Title
Sheriff/Deputy
Law Enforcement Deputy
Requirements/Overview

21 years of age or older.
A United States Citizen.
Must Possess a valid Florida Driver's License at time of employment.
Must not have used any illegal drugs within 36 months of making application.
No use of tobacco products within the previous six (6) months. (includes smokeless tobacco).
No felony convictions.
No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement or domestic violence.
For Law Enforcement Applicants:

Associate's Degree or equivalent from an accredited college, university, community college, or three (3) years experience as a law enforcement officer, or three (3) years active duty U.S. Military service, or three (3) years service as a certified Detention Deputy or Reserve I or II Deputy with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
No more than three (3) moving violations within the past five (5) years.
No more than five (5) moving violations total on driving history.
Out of State Certified Applicants
If you possess an out-of-state law enforcement certification, it may be accepted in Florida under certain conditions. To learn how to obtain your Florida Equivalency of Training, contact the Police Applicant Screening Service:

Allstate Center Suite No.135
3200 34th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL
727-864-3822

For additional information on obtaining Florida law enforcement certification, please visit the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's website.

Additional Information

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office consists of more than 1,200 sworn law enforcement deputies. These deputies are tasked with providing law enforcement services for the residents within the unincorporated area of Hillsborough County. Patrol services include response to emergency and non-emergency calls for service, traffic enforcement, traffic crash investigations, selective enforcement and community oriented policing services.
Benefits
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office values the contributions of its law enforcement personnel. The office's outstanding benefits package is one of the ways the HCSO retains its current employees and attracts new personnel to the agency.

The Sheriff is committed to providing a positive working environment centered on a generous Benefits Package, which includes but is not limited to:

Health and dental plans
Sick leave and disability
13 Leave options (Vacation, Holiday etc…)
Cafeteria Fund
Education Incentive Fund
Paid Overtime and Court time
All uniforms provided (except firearms and footwear)
Take home car within Hillsborough County at no expense. If living in a contiguous county there is a fee for mileage.
Tuition assistance up to $1,500 per fiscal year for undergraduate, graduate, and post graduate course work at an accredited college, university or community college, if funding is available.
Veteran's Apprenticeship Training Program available.
Application and Selection Process, Non-Certified
Applicants will bring copies of the applicable documents listed below to:

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
Recruitment and Screening Office
2008 E. 8th Ave.
Ybor City, Tampa, FL
between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Out of area applicants may mail in the documents along with a cover letter indicating the position they are applying for.

Official (sealed) high school and college transcripts, (Copy of letter requesting same will be accepted.)
Resume
Copy of birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or original naturalization papers.
Two (2) copies of driver's license.
Two (2) copies of Social Security Card
A copy of military discharge papers, (DD 214), if applicable or if male and between the ages of 18-25 a copy of Selective Service card.
A copy of all documented name changes.
If any of the above documents are missing the file will not be accepted. A PIN will then be given to the applicant to access the online application.

Once the application is received it will be reviewed by Recruitment and Screening Bureau staff. If it is determined the applicant is competitive for the position an interview will be scheduled.

At the interview the applicant will be scheduled for a polygraph interview, and the Physical Ability Assessment (PAA).

The remainder of the process will be the same as a certified applicant's, after all of the above listed requirements have been met.

Once the above conditions have been satisfactorily completed and the background investigation finished, applicants will become eligible for selection for an academy.

If selected, the applicant will see a clinical psychologist and a medical exam will be scheduled. The applicant will then complete an online Civil Service application.

Application and Selection Process, Certified
Complete a Civil Service application online. You will be contacted by the Civil Service Board regarding your eligibility status. If you are notified that you have been placed on the eligibility list your next step is to follow the instructions listed above for Non-Certified applicants.

Additional Documentation (Required by Sheriff's Office):
To prepare for the application process you will need to gather the below listed documents. You will be given instructions for the submission of these documents and instructed in the next step of the application process by Civil Service personnel. It is important to remember that these documents should not be turned in or mailed to the Civil Service Board.

Copy of Law Enforcement Academy Certificate.
Copy of state exam score indicating a passing grade.
Copy of valid driver's license.
Copy of social security card.
Copy of birth certificate.
Copy of high school diploma or GED certificate.
Official transcript(s) for any higher education.
Copy of military DD214 (if applicable).
Copy of Selective Service Card if male between the ages of 18-25 and no military service.
The application for Law Enforcement Deputy is now online. Only after all required documentation has been turned in will the applicant receive a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access the online application. You will be given instructions by Civil Service personnel about how to obtain a PIN.

Please note that our minimum qualifications have substantially changed for Law Enforcement Deputy. If you are not sure that you qualify please click on the Minimum Qualifications tab.

The applicant will be required to complete testing which will include, but may not be limited to, a polygraph examination, physical abilities assessment, written and psychological evaluation, medical physical examination and a drug screen. Please go to the "Join Us" tab for a complete explanation of the background investigation and testing process.

For further information on the individual steps for the application process your Recruitment and Screening staff may be reached at:

813-247-8070 or 1-800-343-4276 ext. 8070

Salary

$ 39,115.44 - $61,042.80 10Y TOP OUT :D

Posting Date

2007-09-24

Closing Date

Open Until Filled

Job Last Updated

2007-09-24

Job Announcement/More Information Web Site

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/RandS/index.html

Department/County Web Site

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/

11-04-2007, 01:36 AM

I know for a fact that you have to pay it back if you don't finish. I think it's like close to $700. Best advice is finish it.

11-04-2007, 07:30 PM

I know for a fact that you have to pay it back if you don't finish. I think it's like close to $700. Best advice is finish it.

How do you know for a fact? We had 6 people leave 2 weeks after they found out they had passed state exam to go to CCSO. This was at Charlotte CI. If you mean pay back as in they took there vaca and sick leave from them, but they never had to pay anything back. Its been almost 6months now, that me and 5 others left for CCSO. Thanks DOC for the FREE training and paying me for attending the academy. I now make 39k a yr as a CO with less than 1 yr.

POGO219
11-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey CC, I worked at Charlotte CI as well. I was there in 89 when the first bus came in. Back in the day when it first opened, it was quite the zoo. Has the placed calm down at all? I left there in 95 and it was still rocking
. As far as the pay back thing, I heard the same thing. For the most part, the state will only take what ever time you have accrued. I have yet to here on anyone actually being pused for the difference. Not sure where he came up with $700 as a price. One of the self sponsors in my class paid almost $2100. DOC getting a break????

11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey CC, I worked at Charlotte CI as well. I was there in 89 when the first bus came in. Back in the day when it first opened, it was quite the zoo. Has the placed calm down at all? I left there in 95 and it was still rocking
. As far as the pay back thing, I heard the same thing. For the most part, the state will only take what ever time you have accrued. I have yet to here on anyone actually being pused for the difference. Not sure where he came up with $700 as a price. One of the self sponsors in my class paid almost $2100. DOC getting a break????

It has calmed down from back in the day from what some of the senior COs (more than 3yrs) told me. I think its could become a zoo again with the lack of expierence and the state cracking down on officers for petty stuff. When I was there I never meet any CO who had been there for more than 5yrs. A few SGTS with 1yr, a LT with 5yrs. I think from the Major up those were the only career guys. No one ever stays there. They need to pay since all the surrounding counties are beating them by 9k. I know my old Capt from DOC came to CCSO and he is making MORE as a NEW CO then he was as a CAPT at DOC.
They state makes you "pay back" by taking your sic, vaca, and comp time. But yea I dont think you can get an academy cheaper than 2k now. Even cross over is 1500.

12-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Yes, if you do not finish the 2yr contract the state WILL come after you for the money. I know several people who have had this happen to them. They offer you the choice of paying the money or having your certification revoked. One of my friends didn't pay and they did revoke his certification.