PDA

View Full Version : SH-- The officer that was seen in the FOP press conference

09-18-2007, 12:34 AM
As Miami-Dade jailers booked inmate Santos Mejia, they made a disturbing discovery: a loaded .22 caliber handgun hidden inside his right shoe.

The gun was confiscated, unloaded and returned to Miami officers.

The Miami Police Department is reviewing why longtime officer Emilio Valenzuela failed to find the gun before leaving the handcuffed Mejia, 21, with jailers in the rear lobby of Miami-Dade County Jail on Saturday.

Mejia is charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated battery with a firearm and introducing a contraband article into jail.

''I ordered him to move away from the shoe . . . ,'' Corrections Officer Jeffrey Hill wrote in a report. Another officer fished the gun out of Mejia's sneaker.

Officers put Mejia in a cell and stripped him, the report says. ''There was nothing else found on the inmate,'' Hill wrote. ``No force used.''

His shoe size was unavailable, said Janelle Hall, a jail spokeswoman. The gun is about five inches front to back -- an uncomfortable fit.

Finding a loaded gun on an inmate is rare. The jail calls it a ''major incident'' and will conduct its own review.

''Given the recent events, I'm very thankful this was a very good outcome and no one was hurt,'' Corrections Director Tim Ryan said Monday. He was referring to Thursday's shooting incident in Naranja in which one Miami-Dade police officer was killed and three others were injured.

Mejia is a five-foot-four, pony-tailed Honduran laborer with no previous arrests in Florida.

He was arrested by Miami's homicide bureau and charged with shooting a man in the leg in Allapattah on Sept. 8.

According to police reports, Mejia asked Juan Carlos Flores, 34, and his brother if he ''had a problem with him.'' Then, he shot ''several rounds,'' hitting Flores in the right leg.

Flores said he didn't know Mejia. The case was unsolved until Friday night, when Flores spotted the suspected shooter at the neighborhood's Jaragua bar, 1298 NW 29th Ave., and called the police.

According to Miami police policy: ``Officers must search prisoners prior to placing a prisoner in a police vehicle. It cannot be assumed that a prisoner is free of weapons or contraband -- even if previously searched.

``The responsibility for the search is incumbent on the officer who places the prisoners in the police vehicle.''

Mejia was taken to jail by Officer Valenzuela, 44, an afternoon shift officer who joined the department in October 1989.

Valenzuela's sergeant will investigate the incident, said Miami Lt. Bill Schwartz, a police spokesman. He called the lapse a ``training issue.''

''It's very rare that officers, up until now, would ask a prisoner to take off his shoes,'' Schwartz said. ``We live and learn and as a result, you'll be seeing that done routinely.''

09-18-2007, 12:41 AM
QUESTION: HOW DID THE MEDIA FIND OUT ABOUT THIS, THIS HAS HAPPEN IN THE PAST AND ITS NEVER IN THE MEDIA.

QUESTION #2: WHO TOLD THE MEDIA THIS HAPPEN

QUESTION #3 : IS THIS IN THE MEDIA BECAUSE EMILIO WAS SEEN AT THE FOP PRESS CONFERENCE

QUESTION #4: IS THIS THE CHIEF'S DOING TO GET BACK AT THE FOP

09-18-2007, 12:47 AM
This has the 4th floor fingerprints all over it

09-18-2007, 12:58 AM
well the first shot has been fired in retaliation. This is the chiefs doing to put this out to the media.

09-18-2007, 01:17 AM
FOP look into this, ask our PIO if they did it and why. The PIO Lt is on this media release, FOP ask him !

09-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Well it didnt take long. T$ and B.K.'s minions have struck!

Emilio will receive a reprimand,hours taken and training!! All of this is B.S. of course but we will all pay for trying to oust the tyrants.

There is no cop who I have seen in 20yrs who has their prisoners remove their shoes!!!! If we did,we probably would receive an I.A. complaint!!
Emilio,u did nothing wrong and followed D.O.'s so f#&amp* corrections and our P.I.O.!

09-18-2007, 02:30 AM

Emilio will receive a reprimand,hours taken and training!! All of this is B.S. of course but we will all pay for trying to oust the tyrants.

There is no cop who I have seen in 20yrs who has their prisoners remove their shoes!!!! If we did,we probably would receive an I.A. complaint!!
Emilio,u did nothing wrong and followed D.O.'s so f#&amp* corrections and our P.I.O.!

Don't give the son of a female dog the satisfaction! From now on, each person you transport gets a through search, shoes included, your vehicle before and after. If it takes a long time, F#CK THEM! F#CK ME. . .NO F#CK YOU!

REMEMBER 85 PERCENT OF YOU TOLD TIMONEY AND FERNANDEZ TO GO F#CK THEMSELVES, NOW SHOW THEM HOW!

09-18-2007, 03:23 AM
You people keep on UNDERESTIMATING T-Money. If you are going to take on the KING you better kill him (figuratively speaking) or else he will come back with a vengeance. This is not his first time in the ring for a fight. You have sorely underestimated him. Look at how great he looks on TV today approving AR-15 rifles for use. The average citizen goes WOW he really takes care of his people and the citizens. He knows how to manipulate the media like a Maestro conducted an orchestra and he is making FOP members look like fools. He did it again today and will continue to do it until MPD has zero respect in the community. Better regroup and come up with another plan for T$. Stop underestimating him.

Zero Tolerance
09-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Someone said he did nothing wrong???

He made a mistake that anyone of could have made. How many prisoners are asked to take off their shoes and searched before going to jail? In the past I have only done it looking for small baggies of narcotics or a pipe. That will stop now, everyone, even the rickets with the deadly BO will walk into the jail holding their shoes in their hands.

I worked in a state prison where an inmate ( that came from another facility) entered the prison with a small 22 hidden in his dreadlocks.

I'm not casting stones but... he made a mistake, and a big one at that. he put his life at risk along with every detective that had contact with (think he was cuffed while interviewed?), every officer and civilian he walked past in the station and the corrections staff.

it has happened in the past and will continue to happen. I do not believe that the officer deserves to have his name in the paper for it though. That was a bad call by our department.

I don't know him personally but I have heard good things about him. Learn from the mistake and make sure it doesn't happen again. Stand tall, and smile if they hand you the paperwork.

09-18-2007, 11:19 AM
It is not a training issue...we are taught to pat down the suspect from top to bottom left to right iin quadrants... now if we suspect that drugs might be on the suspect then the shoes come off. yes it could of been a worst case scenario, but thank god it wasnt.... look at how many ppl handled that prisioner that night...then ask the question...dont just point at 1 person...besides we can all learn from this

09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
corrections released the info...they were lvid that velanzuela said so, im only transporting when told about the gun.

09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
corrections released the info...they were lvid that velanzuela said so, im only transporting when told about the gun.
velanzuela was primary so he was not just transporting that was his arrest. Get your facts straight.
Good try at a cover up BK or T$.

09-18-2007, 01:46 PM
How the hell is T-$ or Fernandez getting blamed for this? You got to be kidding! A gun was found in an arrestee's shoes. The officer missed it. It ain't the first time and it ain't the last. But this makes for great news since we had all of the recent police shootings. Do you not think that the Corrections guy/gal who found the waepon was not pissed as all hell? They could have been killed. ENOUGH G-D D#$N EXCUSES WHEN WE F**K UP! Stop shifting the damn blame.

Search the F&amp*king prisoners like you are supposed to and this won't happen. End of discussion unless you also want to blame T-$ and Fernandez for the two or three low pressure systems sitting off of our coast.

Someone said he did nothing wrong???

He made a mistake that anyone of could have made. How many prisoners are asked to take off their shoes and searched before going to jail? In the past I have only done it looking for small baggies of narcotics or a pipe. That will stop now, everyone, even the rickets with the deadly BO will walk into the jail holding their shoes in their hands.

I worked in a state prison where an inmate ( that came from another facility) entered the prison with a small 22 hidden in his dreadlocks.

I'm not casting stones but... he made a mistake, and a big one at that. he put his life at risk along with every detective that had contact with (think he was cuffed while interviewed?), every officer and civilian he walked past in the station and the corrections staff.

it has happened in the past and will continue to happen. I do not believe that the officer deserves to have his name in the paper for it though. That was a bad call by our department.

I don't know him personally but I have heard good things about him. Learn from the mistake and make sure it doesn't happen again. Stand tall, and smile if they hand you the paperwork. :arrow: :arrow: :x

09-18-2007, 01:55 PM
From what I heard there where some b shift units that did the search and put the 39 in his car while he was putting his shotgun away. Where he f up was that he should have checked him again. trust no one.
Whoever it was still should not have put the name out to the media it should have been handled in house.

09-18-2007, 02:00 PM
He should just say that he is sorry and that it was a bone head move. Hey it worked for T$. Maybe he can get a free Lexus for a year out of it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

09-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Media, Feds, Gary Nelson, this officer nearly got someone killed, by letting him bring a GUN into the jail. FDLE investigate this corrupt officer and his minions. excusues, excuses we need you to invetigate. We need to do a no-confidence vote on Emilio.

You all sound as stupid as my post. Emilio isn't a bad guy but he keeps listening to you pinheads and he messes up and now the blame is put on the department. Ask him he did say I'm only the transport. Corrections released this not MPD.

09-18-2007, 02:33 PM
No one is underestimating Timoney, he is a master at deceptive advertising! Valenzuela's error was one of the head, COMPLASANCY if you will. Timoney's on the other hand is an error of the heart, he deliberately took the Lexus for 15 months, when exposed lied, then makes restitution and write a contrite letter. All evidence of a guilty heart and a superficial effort to garner support from his protectors, or done at their direction for public consumption! Most people are stupid, elites think! Stay sharp do everything by the numbers, however long it takes. Only a 15 or a 3-15 should divert you from your battle strategy!

09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I still say he should say he is sorry, and say it was a bonehead move. The same way T$ didn't get in trouble he wont. He can also get a free Lexus for a year that way.

09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Why are we minimizing this? Timoney's error will run him through the ringer....BUT IT DID NOT JEOPARDIZE ANOTHER COP'S LIFE! Valenzuela's error will require some discipine and then be forgotten. But HEW DID JEOPARDIZE (Unintentionally, mind you) ANOTHER COP'S LIFE. Enough with the friggin comparisons...There are none! You say that Timoney made alot of escuses...deceptive advertising. Well, what the hell do you think you (and others) are doing by saying that it wasn't his prisoner....He was putting his shotgun away. DAMN IT! IF YOU MESS UP...FESS UP! Enough of the two bit bull s--t. The only reason this entire story has taken on a life of its own is because there are so many people here without balls to genuinely admit that a mistake was made, no excuses given, and it is over.....But NO!!!!!

Grow the f*u*c*k up already and look in the mirror. It was an honest mistake that we ALL must learn from and will. But do not...repeat...DO NOT minimize it or cloudy it up with crap from another book.

No one is underestimating Timoney, he is a master at deceptive advertising! Valenzuela's error was one of the head, COMPLASANCY if you will. Timoney's on the other hand is an error of the heart, he deliberately took the Lexus for 15 months, when exposed lied, then makes restitution and write a contrite letter. All evidence of a guilty heart and a superficial effort to garner support from his protectors, or done at their direction for public consumption! Most people are stupid, elites think! Stay sharp do everything by the numbers, however long it takes. Only a 15 or a 3-15 should divert you from your battle strategy!

09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Why are we minimizing this? Timoney's error will run him through the ringer....BUT IT DID NOT JEOPARDIZE ANOTHER COP'S LIFE! Valenzuela's error will require some discipine and then be forgotten. But HEW DID JEOPARDIZE (Unintentionally, mind you) ANOTHER COP'S LIFE. Enough with the friggin comparisons...There are none! You say that Timoney made alot of escuses...deceptive advertising. Well, what the hell do you think you (and others) are doing by saying that it wasn't his prisoner....He was putting his shotgun away. darn IT! IF YOU MESS UP...FESS UP! Enough of the two bit bull s--t. The only reason this entire story has taken on a life of its own is because there are so many people here without balls to genuinely admit that a mistake was made, no excuses given, and it is over.....But NO!!!!!

Grow the f*u*c*k up already and look in the mirror. It was an honest mistake that we ALL must learn from and will. But do not...repeat...DO NOT minimize it or cloudy it up with crap from another book.

I still like my idea have him say he is sorry and get a free Lexus out of it.

09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
in all of my extensive police training, no one ever said, make them take off their shoes because they might have a gun in them. A 5 inch gun shoved into the shoe he was wearing. Folks this a first in my book. Hope folks use odor eaters as I see a lot of folks taking their shoes off in the very near future. And we can always return the favor to the jail guys. Media flow can originate from any phone.

09-18-2007, 04:56 PM

He made a big mistake and he should just say sorry I goofed. It's only his fault. No one planted a gun in the dirt bags shoe to frame him. He is a good guy and I'm sure he feels bad about it but it was a dangerous mistake which could have acaused another officer his or her life.

09-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Good job Justa Fax. That's the way it should be! It's so rare in this place to see someone want to own up. Typically this place is the blame shifting capital of the world!

09-18-2007, 07:49 PM
You people never fail to amaze me. A police officer makes an honest mistake, albeit a lazy one, and you try and blame it on the administration? After coming here for weeks and screaming for Timoney to take responsibility? Why does Timoney need to take responsibility and Valenzuela does not? He's a great guy, a lazy cop, a sh-thouse lawyer and he stepped on it. Deal with it. But don't expect the people that you are attacking to throw you a bone.

09-25-2007, 02:07 AM
OK!!!! THE OFFICER DID NOT CHECK THE GUY SHOES. TIMONEY OR BK SHOULDN'T PUNISH ANYONE BECAUSE WE NO CONFIDENCE IN EITHER ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!

09-26-2007, 10:59 PM
well you guys are quick to point out the faults of that ofc, but wait karma is a biotch and when it comes back to bite you we will be here to talk about you all.

09-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Fliers detailing the incident were put up at DCJ and if you didn't know corrections does not like us, they never have and never will. And it's not just because they won't let you use the photo copier. Its usually them dropping the ball with prisoners being booked into the facility with weapons that their intake guys missed, not to mention the escapes and suicides. Finally we mess up so its their chance to blame it on someone else.

:?:

09-27-2007, 01:35 PM
I'll bet that Valenzuela gets written up for his mistake before the Chief gets written up for his crime :?

09-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey guys, let's not make bad blood with corrections. It only make the wait longer. They were only doing their jobs. By publicizing what had happened was a good way to bring awareness to all LEO's with what we're all faced with. You must admit, at times we do f***k up and this incident certainly opened my eyes, because I too don't check shoes.

Fliers detailing the incident were put up at DCJ and if you didn't know corrections does not like us, they never have and never will. And it's not just because they won't let you use the photo copier. Its usually them dropping the ball with prisoners being booked into the facility with weapons that their intake guys missed, not to mention the escapes and suicides. Finally we mess up so its their chance to blame it on someone else.

09-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey guys, let's not make bad blood with corrections. It only make the wait longer. They were only doing their jobs. By publicizing what had happened was a good way to bring awareness to all LEO's with what we're all faced with. You must admit, at times we do f***k up and this incident certainly opened my eyes, because I too don't check shoes.

given at times we drop the ball..but to runn off to the press and put it all out there is just plain wrong. There should of been something in place to prevent this, but in the end we are all guilty before being innocent.