PDA

View Full Version : VPN usage

09-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Are we (agents) allowed to access the VPN from the field on non-ABT computers? For example, lets say I am working an off duty detail ( road construction) if I have my own lap-top can I log on to the VPN and do AB&T work? What about from home, can we access the VPN from our home computers?

09-13-2007, 03:39 AM
I have and the supervisors have not said a word as long as they get the information they desire.

09-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Are we (agents) allowed to access the VPN from the field on non-ABT computers? For example, lets say I am working an off duty detail ( road construction) if I have my own lap-top can I log on to the VPN and do AB&T work? What about from home, can we access the VPN from our home computers?

Are we (agents) allowed to access the VPN from the field on non-ABT computers? For example, lets say I am working an off duty detail ( road construction) if I have my own lap-top can I log on to the VPN and do AB&T work? What about from home, can we access the VPN from our home computers
VPN the answer is yes and NO. Here is the problem with your question when you are conducting ABT work while you are working an off duty detail you are providing work to ABT for free. Now some may say this is ok, but in reality it is not. First off you are being paid by the company that contracted you to do the detail. What service are you providing them if you are doing ABT work. Second any work you perform for ABT while not being paid to do so is in violation of the State Employee Contract that our unions have worked so hard to write and enforce. If you are violating the contract when why complain when the agency does (think about it). The same rules apply when you are working from home. Remember ABT does not want employees working at home, there are reasons for this. Again, it comes down to money and liability on the part of the agency for any hours you are not paid.
The yes part of the answer is basically if you do not care about the above, I have heard that you can access it. However, why would you want too?

09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok, good point, my examples sucked. Instead of off duty or at home, let just say while working. I am in my car 100 miles from the office, if I want to go on to update a complaint or try to find some answers to a question. Or let’s say I make an arrest and need a case number. I just wish there was a definite answer “yes” or “no”. I am being told that we can’t not due to a security issue, I have also heard other agents from other offices talk about doing it. Oh well, it really isn’t a bug deal, just trying to think of ways to streamline my job.
Good point about the contract though, didn’t think about that.

09-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Thats right!! Lets not give them anything and suck this organization dry!!
After all we deserve it!!

09-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Your right, Can you believe that someone might want to do something for FREE???
Lets face they charge us a milage fee for using their vehicle (even though we only drive it a short distance and then sit and idle for 12 hours burning their gas) and now someone wants to give them somthing for free.They must be NUTS!!

10-22-2007, 11:23 PM
SO CAN WE USE THE VPN OR NOT?

10-25-2007, 10:55 AM
yes we can!