PDA

View Full Version : Kerr's response at blog?

09-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Sgt.Kerr,you wrote a very thought out response on the vote and need to 07 the commanders and I agree!
Hope you dont mind my posting your thoughts? It will help cause some debates and help clear any doubts some had about u. Stay strong.
07 THE COMMANDERS!!:

Now that the vote is over and we are looking forward to the commission meeting on Tuesday let me say a couple of things about the last few weeks.

The vote.
I was slightly insulted with two comments that the chief made. The first being his implication that the absentee votes were collected in an improper manner. I collected over a third of the absentee ballots. I went above and beyond to collect in places that other executive board members would not. I collected most of staff members votes (those that voted absentee). Regardless of the method of absentee collection, a third of the sworn members voted absentee, a third voted at the stations, and a third did not vote. The stations were counted first and the percentage after that count was only changed by 1 or 2 percent after the absentee votes were counted. A normal vote by the union (as if we every have normal votes) is usually 3 to 4 hundred votes. Our highest turnout has been around 700 voters. This vote was approximately 650 voters, nearly two thirds of the department, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is a fair litmus of the department. The members that chose to vote absentee voted similarly to those that voted at the station. Do not discount the method of vote collection. It is an accurate reflection of the department.

Secondly, the claim that a no confidence is common place in the City of Miami. This is simply untrue. I have recently learned that we did in fact have a no confidence vote. It was in the early seventies, ironically towards another ?outsider? chief. These votes are far from common and they have never occurred in my lifetime.

For the rest of my argument let?s stipulate that the vote was an accurate reflection of the feelings of the department. I have five officers that work for me. I could understand one or even two being upset with my leadership but if I held a no confidence vote and four out of the five voted no, it would be a big wake up call for me. I would not discount the validity of the vote or scoff that it was commonplace. I would ask my officers why they voted the way they did. I would feel uncomfortable walking through the halls of the station knowing that four out of every five officers I passed disapprove of my management style. I do believe that the Chief was surprised at the amount of ?No? votes. I was also surprised. I was surprised when I traveled to the stations and heard the anger directed to the Chief and Deputy. Somewhere in the last year or two a phenomenal amount of displeasure has arisen towards the upper management in the police department. Until that is addressed nothing is going to change.

What can be done?

Now that we are where we are, what can we do? I remember years ago when the Deputy was first appointed he came to my roll call (yes this was years ago) and told us not to just come up with complaints but to bring a suggested solution. Here is my solution. The Commander position is killing the department. I say you eliminate the position and assign it to the Captains. If that position is Civil Service you would not have the commanders under the pressure that their jobs are on the line every time the crime rate rises. Have the test, get a pool of Captains to choose from, and assign them to NET, IA, SOS, etc. How many Lieutenants were asked to be Commanders and turned it down? Why? I know what the Commander position entails and I know I wouldn?t take the job. To have the specter of an appointed position hanging over your head is unfair. I know the Chiefs like the ability to appoint their staff but this dilutes the check and balance system. The NET Captains will still do their job just like the appointed CID/SOS/IA Lieutenants do theirs.

I don?t have a solution for the discontent in the department. That can not be fixed overnight. One thing for certain is that the upper management needs to be aware of the opinions of the rank and file and be receptive of their complaints. If you ask for someone?s opinion don?t punish them for voicing it (even if they voice it in a disrespectful manner).

The Chiefs should be the Chiefs, they command the Majors, the Majors command the Commanders, and so on. We have Field Duty Lieutenants that can?t even give an officer a day off! We need to return to a less mirco managed system. Let the Majors run their stations as they see fit and let the Lieutenants run their shifts as they see fit. If it doesn?t work blame the boss and have him/her correct it. Don?t take over their job.

In closing, I am sad that all of the events of the last week unfolded. I believe in handling things in house and not airing our dirty laundry in the public forum. Some feel that this was necessary but I still believe that the Chief and Deputy are reasonable men and we could have handled this like the cops that we are. I don?t think there are going to be any winners in this fight. No matter what the result, the badge has been tarnished.

Kerr

09-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Kerr, my respect to you and your opinion. However, the only one that has tarnished -- no -- soiled the badge, is Timoney! Fernandez simply was not mentally or technically prepared to assume the command position he was given. If he were not married to Manny Diaz's niece, rest assured he would not be there!

The solution? Timoney must go and he knows it! Is not a matter of if, but when!

09-10-2007, 11:54 PM
T$ must go! The guy was never accepted due to his arrogance but the commanders need to be 07ed 4sure.
The CMDRS are the main problem cause they are scared of T and B.K.
Get Captains back and all will move properly!!

09-11-2007, 03:10 AM
GOOD BY T$ BUT TAKE THOSE DARN COMMANDERS WITH YOU.
WE NEED CAPTAINS,NOT POLITICAL ANIMALS AND THAT WHAT CMDRS CURRENTLY ARE,ESPECIALLY ALFONSO AND WHITEHEAD!

09-11-2007, 03:11 AM
GOOD BYE T$ BUT TAKE THOSE DARN COMMANDERS WITH YOU.
WE NEED CAPTAINS,NOT POLITICAL ANIMALS AND THAT WHAT CMDRS CURRENTLY ARE,ESPECIALLY ALFONSO AND WHITEHEAD!

09-11-2007, 03:12 AM

09-11-2007, 03:13 AM

09-11-2007, 03:35 AM
Get Captains back and all will move properly

09-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Respect that is the common denominator and what all the dissent amongst the ranks boils down to. We can beat this horse till it drops but it won't change the fact that, what we are lacking the most, is a basic level of respect from the management.

Your rank is entitled to a preordained amount of respect, be it in a military or para-military organization, and yes a police officer is entitled to respect. Suffice to say that as individual human beings we are also entitled to a level of respect, but that is another story, since we already know that they look at us like replaceable parts.

I don't think that any of us expect a slap on the back or an invite to cafe or lunch whenever the staff sees us get on the elevator or vise versa, but it doesn't cease to amaze me that with rare exception they get on and look right past you. In the military you are required to salute (acknowledge) an officer when his presence becomes known and respectively that officer is required to return the salutation. It is all based on respect.

I don't like or personally respect alot of the persons wearing the stars, bars, diamonds, etc. on this Department, but as an Old School professional I must afford the position they represent the respect befitting their rank.

What the current management has lost sight of is the basic management concept of earning the respect of the troops. It is like a bank account, you can't withdraw funds from it until you have made a deposit and according to what I have seen in the last four years the account is deeply in arrears!!!!

We didn't have any police involved shootings for X-amount of time and it is because of who??? Do you suppose that it is coincidental that we implemented the Taser program just before the great god from NY got here and because of a tool that he had nothing to do with we are able to light up someones life instead of dispatching them to the next level of Nirvana??? Do you suppose that the implementation of CIT, another idea that started before he got here might have anything to do with less shootings of Baker Acts???

Last but not least, he did what to get us through FTAA??? Remember he got here when everything was already done, we were a month or two away from the event. Yet he proclaims he is responsible for the success of the police response to the event. Riding up and down the street with his bud on the Harley and CNN in tow for the potential photo op, while the troops were humping up and down the streets, please give me a break!!! Can you say self serving????

And what ever happened to the thank you gathering we were promised by him and the BK for the job well done at protecting the city?? I guess I missed the invitation in the mail!!!

They (T-Money &amp BK) have been standing on the collective shoulders of the officers to proclaim how great a job they are doing and garnering personal accolades (and embellishing their resumes) while the organization that is actualy doing the work is forced to feed on itself to survive.

To add insult to injury the man has the audacity to say (after lying twice) that it was a paperwork oversight, a form he forgot to fill out, a boneheaded mistake!!! Yeah it was a bone(r) where he let his little head decide to take the free car. But the ultimate insult was when he had to confer with a friend as to whether what he had done constituted a crime. And this is supposed to be our role model..................................

Now after they finally get the past due rent notice (No Confidence Vote) from the rank &amp file they are walking around shaking hands and saying hello to anyone and everyone. They can both go to H :!:

I say we don't let them off the hook and hold thier feet to the fire.

It is TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE.

09-11-2007, 04:26 AM
GREAT POST BUDDY!

09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Regarding your post. While it breathes alot of truth, please keep the facts clear lest you be disregarded for not knowing what you say.

Timoney took over as Chief in January 2003. FTAA was November 2003...10 Months later...Not two!

There are alot of Staff memebers who are friendly, who do give a damn, who do take the time and converse quite freely with all.

When you lump everyone into one basket and make blanket statements, you risk being no better than that which you protest!

Otherwise, a free flow of commentary is healthy...and hopefully fruitful.

ps. regarding your financial analogies...always remember, Early withdrawal causes lack of interest!

Respect that is the common denominator and what all the dissent amongst the ranks boils down to. We can beat this horse till it drops but it won't change the fact that, what we are lacking the most, is a basic level of respect from the management.

Your rank is entitled to a preordained amount of respect, be it in a military or para-military organization, and yes a police officer is entitled to respect. Suffice to say that as individual human beings we are also entitled to a level of respect, but that is another story, since we already know that they look at us like replaceable parts.

I don't think that any of us expect a slap on the back or an invite to cafe or lunch whenever the staff sees us get on the elevator or vise versa, but it doesn't cease to amaze me that with rare exception they get on and look right past you. In the military you are required to salute (acknowledge) an officer when his presence becomes known and respectively that officer is required to return the salutation. It is all based on respect.

I don't like or personally respect alot of the persons wearing the stars, bars, diamonds, etc. on this Department, but as an Old School professional I must afford the position they represent the respect befitting their rank.

What the current management has lost sight of is the basic management concept of earning the respect of the troops. It is like a bank account, you can't withdraw funds from it until you have made a deposit and according to what I have seen in the last four years the account is deeply in arrears!!!!

We didn't have any police involved shootings for X-amount of time and it is because of who??? Do you suppose that it is coincidental that we implemented the Taser program just before the great god from NY got here and because of a tool that he had nothing to do with we are able to light up someones life instead of dispatching them to the next level of Nirvana??? Do you suppose that the implementation of CIT, another idea that started before he got here might have anything to do with less shootings of Baker Acts???

Last but not least, he did what to get us through FTAA??? Remember he got here when everything was already done, we were a month or two away from the event. Yet he proclaims he is responsible for the success of the police response to the event. Riding up and down the street with his bud on the Harley and CNN in tow for the potential photo op, while the troops were humping up and down the streets, please give me a break!!! Can you say self serving????

And what ever happened to the thank you gathering we were promised by him and the BK for the job well done at protecting the city?? I guess I missed the invitation in the mail!!!

They (T-Money &amp BK) have been standing on the collective shoulders of the officers to proclaim how great a job they are doing and garnering personal accolades (and embellishing their resumes) while the organization that is actualy doing the work is forced to feed on itself to survive.

To add insult to injury the man has the audacity to say (after lying twice) that it was a paperwork oversight, a form he forgot to fill out, a boneheaded mistake!!! Yeah it was a bone(r) where he let his little head decide to take the free car. But the ultimate insult was when he had to confer with a friend as to whether what he had done constituted a crime. And this is supposed to be our role model..................................

Now after they finally get the past due rent notice (No Confidence Vote) from the rank &amp file they are walking around shaking hands and saying hello to anyone and everyone. They can both go to H :!:

I say we don't let them off the hook and hold thier feet to the fire.

It is TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE.

09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
My fellow officers, after Older Cop's comments any thing else would be trite! This person has captured the reality of this administration with uncanny sagacity. Timoney and Fernandez are done, empty vessels who lost a great opportunity to lead one of the nation's best police agency. All that remains is for Miami City Manager to offer Mr. Timoney a dignified way out a gesture he does not deserve however!

Thank you Older Cop!

09-11-2007, 01:36 PM
OK Justa Fax, how long do you think the preps for FTAA were going on Einstein?? Let me give you a clue: Cannon had hair!! The last ten months were already programmed way before he got here, all he had to do was take care of CNN.

Did you forget that for almost five months we had two sets of assistant chiefs. While the Irishman gathered his followers and the administration was at a standstill.

If you noticed I only named the two persons that are specifically responsible for the management of this department. I did not speak about anyone else so if you got lumps in your blanket out of my post you should read it again.

Organizations (thats us) generally take on the management style of its leaders. If abuse and lack of respect is embraced by the top you can rest assurred that some (not all) will adapt or adopt the style to please their masters and avoid going against the grain. We all know who these people are they have and will always exist.

God Bless the ones that can function within this administration and still maintain their honor and integrity and more importantly the respect for their men &amp women.

You are right I should have said, Early withdrawal causes lack of interest you got me on that one, I'm limited by a High School education.

But I'm pretty sure everyone got my point right??

09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Not to be too argumentative, but let's keep the facts straight. Sure FTAA was planned long before Timoney got here. But I think we can all safely say that it was the infantry...the troops...those in the RPs under great lieutenant leadership (in the field) that coincided with outstanding leadership from (then ) Captain Cannon that saved the City. The RP training did not kick off in earnest until April or May of 2003. The training was also extensive and the equipment outstanding. There is always room to criticize. if you are lloking to do so..But not here. In fact, I would venture to say that there was not a cop on this department who was not proud as heck by the Saturday (before Thanksgiving in 2003).

This department has outstanding leadership from all ranks. And I would bet my bottom dollar that most (perhaps not all) wish to rise through the ranks in hopes of one day leading this great department. But as in any and every police department, corporation, and/or battallion within a given military branch, you have your Omar Bradleys and you have your Douglas Macarthurs.....You have your Joshua Chamberlains and you have your Ambrose Burnsides.

Again, minus the insults, the Einsteins and all the other horses--t, we should be able to debate factys as they are. Remember in closing though, no general, ahs ever, nor will ever, be greater than the armies he leads..............Mac found that out in Korea!

OK Justa Fax, how long do you think the preps for FTAA were going on Einstein?? Let me give you a clue: Cannon had hair!! The last ten months were already programmed way before he got here, all he had to do was take care of CNN.

Did you forget that for almost five months we had two sets of assistant chiefs. While the Irishman gathered his followers and the administration was at a standstill.

If you noticed I only named the two persons that are specifically responsible for the management of this department. I did not speak about anyone else so if you got lumps in your blanket out of my post you should read it again.

Organizations (thats us) generally take on the management style of its leaders. If abuse and lack of respect is embraced by the top you can rest assurred that some (not all) will adapt or adopt the style to please their masters and avoid going against the grain. We all know who these people are they have and will always exist.

God Bless the ones that can function within this administration and still maintain their honor and integrity and more importantly the respect for their men &amp women.

You are right I should have said, Early withdrawal causes lack of interest you got me on that one, I'm limited by a High School education.

But I'm pretty sure everyone got my point right??

09-12-2007, 04:04 AM
Kerr, let me begin by congratulating you. I don?t know you personally, but I respect you for showing your face. I agree with some of your points, but I think you are way off the mark on your Commanders recommendation. I think your field of vision and experience probably taint your judgment on the issue. That is not criticism I remind you that I admire your involvement.
Let me give you a bit of history. The Commanders position was created in order to reward the great job that a majority of NET Lieutenants had been doing. It was actually Chief Warshaw?s brain child, but Chief Martinez was able to pull it off. It seems that innovations started by one Chief are enjoyed by the next (tasers, CIT). There was no other mechanism for a promotion. You can never promote enough Captains to have a viable pool of talent to handle NET areas. That is why both Captains and Lieutenants are considered for Commander.
Be very careful when you call for the elimination of ranks, you are hindering the career paths of the very people that you so adamantly defend. Let me inform you that when the twelve Commander positions were created, six extra Lieutenants positions were added to the Table of Organization. One of those might be the one that you or the other sergeants that diligently studied for the exam will be promoted to. That also means that six extra sergeants? positions were also created.
I think that you can look around and see there are some problems at every rank. The insignia that you wear doesn?t make you you make the insignia. There are plenty of incompetent police officers, sergeants, lieutenants, and CAPTAINS. A test weeds out most, but a few still get through.
Now, I don?t want to be cynical, but maybe you know you are going to get butter bars and you figure you want the future security of railroad tracks? (yea that was a shot) When you find an editor tell him to give you some historical perspective before you go making draconian suggestions, like I started it is not your fault you just don?t know all that you think you know.

09-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Kerr, you have always been humble and a hard working person and I think you are part off the positive future in this department, not just a roamer in the 4th floor :wink: I thought you were riding the fence a week ago but, I stand and correct myself. I feel Older Cop and Kerr have hit some key points but, is it just me didnt T-money say, I only answer to the Mayor and City Mgr Mayor Diaz has been trying to paint a very rosey picture of this city while his friends profit millions. Could it be this is what the Mayor wanted! In other words F*ck the officers!f*ck the public!make me look good by any means necessary. Commanders, Captains I dont think thats where the problems begin. Then again my education has only taken me so far like Older Cop :roll:

Phaedrus11
09-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Kerr, let me begin by congratulating you. I don?t know you personally, but I respect you for showing your face. I agree with some of your points, but I think you are way off the mark on your Commanders recommendation. I think your field of vision and experience probably taint your judgment on the issue. That is not criticism I remind you that I admire your involvement.
Let me give you a bit of history. The Commanders position was created in order to reward the great job that a majority of NET Lieutenants had been doing. It was actually Chief Warshaw?s brain child, but Chief Martinez was able to pull it off. It seems that innovations started by one Chief are enjoyed by the next (tasers, CIT). There was no other mechanism for a promotion. You can never promote enough Captains to have a viable pool of talent to handle NET areas. That is why both Captains and Lieutenants are considered for Commander.
Be very careful when you call for the elimination of ranks, you are hindering the career paths of the very people that you so adamantly defend. Let me inform you that when the twelve Commander positions were created, six extra Lieutenants positions were added to the Table of Organization. One of those might be the one that you or the other sergeants that diligently studied for the exam will be promoted to. That also means that six extra sergeants? positions were also created.
I think that you can look around and see there are some problems at every rank. The insignia that you wear doesn?t make you you make the insignia. There are plenty of incompetent police officers, sergeants, lieutenants, and CAPTAINS. A test weeds out most, but a few still get through.
Now, I don?t want to be cynical, but maybe you know you are going to get butter bars and you figure you want the future security of railroad tracks? (yea that was a shot) When you find an editor tell him to give you some historical perspective before you go making draconian suggestions, like I started it is not your fault you just don?t know all that you think you know.

Fourth Floor Roamer,
I replied to your comment on the blog.

http://miamipolicefop.blogspot.com/2007 ... tting.html (http://miamipolicefop.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-need-editor-these-posts-are-getting.html)

I try to keep my blog stuff separate from the BB stuff. I think they serve different purposes.

For Observer,
thanks for reading the blog. In the future just post the link and then add your comments on the BB. The reason being that I only post registered, someone could change my words and then repost (unregistered) it as if it?s from the blog. If I think a blog entry needs to be posted on the BB, I?ll just post it with the registered account. This doesn?t happen too often. Check the blog in the next few weeks for updates on the CIP, the FDLE investigation, and any other drunken ramblings I might post.

09-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Okay Kerr. I have posted your blog before but felt that your opinion and explanation was needed on here. I would never post under someone elses name or even worse,change someone's words! That would be cowardly and show no balls but I dont know much about computers.
Good luck and keep posting!
Both leo and your blog serve our purpose,
Gather info and have a laugh,l.o.l.

09-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Keep in mind this also: Supposing you did get 12 captains on a test. 12 captains that would become NET Captains. You know darn well that by and large the desparity between 1 and 12 could be as much as 30-40 points. Are we to grab someone with a score of 60, just to say we got 12 captains? Suppose all of the captains in the top 12 are white or black or latin or female? are we going to go back to that abortion called the rule of 8?

There need be a wide representation in the staff. That can only be assured by hand selecting those that, by and large, have provern themselves as Lts/Capts. yes, some are far better than others. But given the choice of that selection process and sitting number 6 on a test only to be bypassed by 4 others, I would gladly choose the former.

Be careful what you wish for. Right now there are some ethnic classifications that are lacking a bit. There must be a fair representation. The commanders rank allows for that balance. And on the flip side, if you should have an absolute zero commanding NET area ________, it is probably best that he/she can be moved or demoted should it be warranted. Everything on this knife is double sided.

So let's think it through. I think what we want most of all , regardless of rank, is outstanding, coherent, fair leadership. I think that should be a right not a demand!

Fourth Floor Roamer,
I replied to your comment on the blog.

http://miamipolicefop.blogspot.com/2007 ... tting.html (http://miamipolicefop.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-need-editor-these-posts-are-getting.html)

I try to keep my blog stuff separate from the BB stuff. I think they serve different purposes.

For Observer,
thanks for reading the blog. In the future just post the link and then add your comments on the BB. The reason being that I only post registered, someone could change my words and then repost (unregistered) it as if it?s from the blog. If I think a blog entry needs to be posted on the BB, I?ll just post it with the registered account. This doesn?t happen too often. Check the blog in the next few weeks for updates on the CIP, the FDLE investigation, and any other drunken ramblings I might post.

Gotabonetopick
09-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Keep up the good work Kerr. When you win big don't forget your KY travel mates. :D :D :D

09-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Proud Cop makes a great point when he says that T$ stated, on TV, that he only answers to the Mayor and City Manager. What about the troops that try to make him and the police department look good. What about the great citizens of Miami. Apparently he can't seem to see past the glass of his Irish whiskey bottle. I have worked for numerous chiefs during my 25+ years of law enforcement, but I can say truthfully, none were as bad as this man and BK. Hang in their guys and hold your heads high. The men and women of the MPD have nothing to be ashamed of, except the fact the money and power driven Mayor wanted a clone of himself to root out the corrpution in the police department.... Mr. Mayor, how can you look in the mirror everyday. The corrpution isn't with the police department, except for T$ and his wonder boy, BK...the corruption starts with YOU and the MANAGER. You have taken the City back to the disgrace that it was years ago...some progress.

09-12-2007, 05:54 PM
My fellow officers, fear not! The die is cast for Timoney! Yes, it will take time for allegations to be properly investigated, particularly the complaint filed with the State of Florida Ethics Commission by former Miami Police Chief, Kenn Harms! Check below for penalties prescribed for violating FSS 112.313:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index. ... 7#0112.317 (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&ampSearch_String=&ampURL=Ch0112/SEC317.HTM&ampTitle=-&gt2007-&gtCh0112-&gtSection%20317#0112.317)

Granted, is a slow investigative process, but a certain one! Once The Florida's Ethics Commission exposes Timoney's glaring ethical derelictions, Manny Diaz will have to provide his lepprechaun a dignified way out! More so now that the City's own Civilian Investigative Panel will be investigating Armando's complaint!