PDA

View Full Version : Chief

09-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Chief, I think that no matter what else happens we all have to admit that some change is in order. Chief, you can begin to make some changes, no matter how small, it will be a show of good faith on your part. Many people below you tell us one thing and then tell you another and that is part of the reason we are in this mess. Maybe some of the complaints are fruitless and without base but the majority are legitimate. This is a profesional department so please start by telling your commanders that the men and women of the department are mature profesional adults and don't need to be treated and talked down to like children. Let the Lt. do a Lt. job and let the Sgt. do the Sgt. job so that the officers can do their job withouth undue stress. A Lt. needs to have the authority of granting a complete time of to an officer, as should any commanding officer. (Now the admin officer can give you time of but a lt can't) A sergeant should be able to make his/her own decissions on dicipline or other supervisor duties without having to get permission frst from the commander. Unfortunately you have the commanders (In some cases) out here underminding and micro managing the sergeants and the officers. Is that the job of a manager?. Chief, you would agree that it is not. Re-direct you staff to think more like managers and let the front line officers do their jobs. Ofcourse guidance is accepted but don't tell me how to breath, I alredy know that. If you get some control of the out of control micro managing that is going on, then you might begin to see things calm down a little. That is just the opinion of one person for what ever it's worth. I really hope tings work out for all and we get some much needed harmony in this place.