PDA

View Full Version : Timoney's Response to the Vote

09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Statement From Chief Timoney Reference F.O.P. Vote

Today, the Miami Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) issued a vote of no confidence against my administration. A vote of no confidence has been a ploy by police unions all across America since the late 1990?s. At times they result from an issue of discipline or in most cases from the implementation of a controversial policy (e.g. no shooting at vehicles, restricting vehicle pursuits, etc.) While these votes of no confidence are somewhat common occurrences, there is no case known to me where a city Mayor or Manager was swayed by such a vote. To do so would literally encourage such tactics and result in chaos in American policing.

In the case of the Miami FOP, it is not clear what the issue(s) are, since the leadership of the FOP has not once come into my office regarding any issues that affected their members (with the exception of recent contract negotiations, which I supported and added additional benefits for our officers). In fact, the only other time that FOP President Sgt. Armando Aguilar has come to my office was over a year ago, asking me not to fire a police officer who happened to be a close personal friend of his. When I did not honor his request, Sgt. Aguilar let it be known that he was very upset with me as well as the administration.

According to some, the leadership of the FOP believes that this administration is too tough on discipline. Well, when you examine the facts, the story is quite different. When reviewing the three years prior to my administration, you?ll find a total of 518 reprimands were issued. During my first three years as Police Chief, there were a total of 446 reprimands issued. This reduction in discipline has not happened by chance, but by design. This is due to a number of accountability measures and intervention programs implemented during my administration.

Let us not forget that over the past four and a half years, no officer has been involved in any controversial police shootings nor have there been any major scandals regarding our officers. In fact, for one 20-month period and another 12-month period, not a single bullet was discharged at a civilian by a Miami Police Officer. This record is unparalleled in big city police departments!

According to one press account, the union leadership was highly critical of our biweekly COMPSTAT meetings, where we analyze crime and deploy resources to address crime and quality of life issues. It is interesting that neither the FOP president nor his vice-president have EVER attended a COMPSTAT meeting. These meetings have been attended by the Mayor, City Manager, Commission members, community leaders, members from the State Attorney?s Office, representatives from law enforcement agencies from around the country, and the press. In fact, front line police officers have attended COMPSTAT and not once have they ever suggested it was anything but a professionally run meeting.

The FOP also alleges that the department is knowingly altering the crime statistics to indicate a reduction in crime. These allegations insult my professionalism and tarnish the entire department. Therefore, I have asked FDLE to conduct an audit our crime reporting and data collection processes. I want to reassure the public that I am confident that our crime reporting and classification system is fully compliant with the Federal Bureau of Investigation?s (FBI) Uniform Crime Reporting System (UCR).

So, it baffles the mind, when one tries to figure the rationale behind this vote of no confidence. However, what has become clear over the last couple of weeks is the intent of the FOP to dictate who the next Chief of the City of Miami Police will be.

In an effort to determine if there are any real issues, I will put together an outreach focus group, comprised of shift/unit officer representatives that will meet with me. This will provide an opportunity to address their concerns directly and without distortion or misinformation.

I am very proud of the men and women of the Miami Police Department who I have had the honor to lead over the last four and a half years. Together we have reduced police shootings, reduced crime and improved the quality of life for the citizens of this great city. We have also collectively developed this organization into a world class police department.

The Fraternal Order of Police has done a huge disservice to their members and the citizens we serve. The shenanigans of the last few weeks were merely an attempt at political assassination and therefore, more reflective of the lack of leadership of the FOP than of this administration. Ultimately, each police officer will have to look in the mirror and question whether the leaders of the FOP really have his or her best interest at heart.

In closing, although the FOP has attempted to destroy the positive reputation that our men and woman have worked so hard to achieve for this department, this will not dissuade us from continuing to provide professional and reliable service to our community.

09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Statement From Chief Timoney Reference F.O.P. Vote

Today, the Miami Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) issued a vote of no confidence against my administration. A vote of no confidence has been a ploy by police unions all across America since the late 1990?s. At times they result from an issue of discipline or in most cases from the implementation of a controversial policy (e.g. no shooting at vehicles, restricting vehicle pursuits, etc.) While these votes of no confidence are somewhat common occurrences, there is no case known to me where a city Mayor or Manager was swayed by such a vote. To do so would literally encourage such tactics and result in chaos in American policing.

In the case of the Miami FOP, it is not clear what the issue(s) are, since the leadership of the FOP has not once come into my office regarding any issues that affected their members (with the exception of recent contract negotiations, which I supported and added additional benefits for our officers). In fact, the only other time that FOP President Sgt. Armando Aguilar has come to my office was over a year ago, asking me not to fire a police officer who happened to be a close personal friend of his. When I did not honor his request, Sgt. Aguilar let it be known that he was very upset with me as well as the administration.

According to some, the leadership of the FOP believes that this administration is too tough on discipline. Well, when you examine the facts, the story is quite different. When reviewing the three years prior to my administration, you?ll find a total of 518 reprimands were issued. During my first three years as Police Chief, there were a total of 446 reprimands issued. This reduction in discipline has not happened by chance, but by design. This is due to a number of accountability measures and intervention programs implemented during my administration.

Let us not forget that over the past four and a half years, no officer has been involved in any controversial police shootings nor have there been any major scandals regarding our officers. In fact, for one 20-month period and another 12-month period, not a single bullet was discharged at a civilian by a Miami Police Officer. This record is unparalleled in big city police departments!

According to one press account, the union leadership was highly critical of our biweekly COMPSTAT meetings, where we analyze crime and deploy resources to address crime and quality of life issues. It is interesting that neither the FOP president nor his vice-president have EVER attended a COMPSTAT meeting. These meetings have been attended by the Mayor, City Manager, Commission members, community leaders, members from the State Attorney?s Office, representatives from law enforcement agencies from around the country, and the press. In fact, front line police officers have attended COMPSTAT and not once have they ever suggested it was anything but a professionally run meeting.

The FOP also alleges that the department is knowingly altering the crime statistics to indicate a reduction in crime. These allegations insult my professionalism and tarnish the entire department. Therefore, I have asked FDLE to conduct an audit our crime reporting and data collection processes. I want to reassure the public that I am confident that our crime reporting and classification system is fully compliant with the Federal Bureau of Investigation?s (FBI) Uniform Crime Reporting System (UCR).

So, it baffles the mind, when one tries to figure the rationale behind this vote of no confidence. However, what has become clear over the last couple of weeks is the intent of the FOP to dictate who the next Chief of the City of Miami Police will be.

In an effort to determine if there are any real issues, I will put together an outreach focus group, comprised of shift/unit officer representatives that will meet with me. This will provide an opportunity to address their concerns directly and without distortion or misinformation.

I am very proud of the men and women of the Miami Police Department who I have had the honor to lead over the last four and a half years. Together we have reduced police shootings, reduced crime and improved the quality of life for the citizens of this great city. We have also collectively developed this organization into a world class police department.

The Fraternal Order of Police has done a huge disservice to their members and the citizens we serve. The shenanigans of the last few weeks were merely an attempt at political assassination and therefore, more reflective of the lack of leadership of the FOP than of this administration. Ultimately, each police officer will have to look in the mirror and question whether the leaders of the FOP really have his or her best interest at heart.

In closing, although the FOP has attempted to destroy the positive reputation that our men and woman have worked so hard to achieve for this department, this will not dissuade us from continuing to provide professional and reliable service to our community.

Chief, dont worry about this, when Chief Raul Martinez leaves, things will get better. Remember, the MAYOR said this used to be a disfunctional police department. By the way, Chief Martinez drove a cheap looking used blue Honda, Angel can attest to this!

09-05-2007, 10:06 AM
In fact, the only other time that FOP President Sgt. Armando Aguilar has come to my office was over a year ago, asking me not to fire a police officer who happened to be a close personal friend of his. When I did not honor his request, Sgt. Aguilar let it be known that he was very upset with me as well as the administration.

Who was the officer who he was fighting for? Why hasn't he done this for all of the other FOP members that have been fired

09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
After the vote the media gathered at the PIO office, all the Tv stations were given an interview, except Ch. 4, how arrogant and immature, Im glad they did that so the rest of the world can see how T$ and BK really are. It just sealed your fate, instead of being diplomatic and mature YOU chose to censor them. WE dont agree with your story so WE wont talk to you. Thats just how YOU run the dept, anyone challenges YOU, WE strike back. T$ I thought you had better judgement.

09-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I am watching this story with great interest from the outside looking in. The perception to me is that many of you officers have a legitimate grievance, but by the looks of the Public Relations Machine of the Chief and his letter, you all better come together FAST and do something disparate at this moment, or you will lose all creditability and momentum.

The world today is based much within the court of public Opinion, therefore the FOP should hire a Public Relations Company to develop a plan to resolve their grievances with the Chief and to seek advice. The Chief is correct, NO Mayor is going to remove him based on a Vote by the FOP, unless the public gets fed up with these issues. Only a vote by the public has the teeth to make change in city government. Do you all not think, or believe that the Chief has his own PR team, and that his letter was thoughtfully conceived by the PR machine and damage control team? I love MPD and their officers and I believe you guys &amp gals are being treated wrong, but you must respond intelligently with good advice from a PR firm and lawyer. It seems to me that too much emotions are being aired and hence the Chief is going to make a joke of the FOP and thus becoming a victorious Chief once again. MPD does need new leadership, but only you the troops can come together and bring a positive change. If its true what the Chief said about the FOP not attending any of the meetings for COMSTAT, to SAD! That is why I will emphasize to all of you, to invest in a PR firm working for the collective group and invest your money in that strategy as opposed to investing so much money in FOP dues, which give you these results in the end and apparently has no teeth.

Last, I want to let you guys 7 gals know that things are very different around the country and you all are very fortunate to have such mechanisms in place for grievances. Most other places, or states fire their officers on the spot with no reason. Sheriff departments in North Carolina for example will dismiss you without cause, or reason. So PLEASE do not take your jobs for granted!

I wish you all the best -

09-05-2007, 12:48 PM

It's a step in the right direction, please just make sure to select impartial people from all divisions who have been here long enough, are mature, profesional, known and respected.

09-05-2007, 02:28 PM
This response from T$ was posted on the Herald website. I think T$ makes some very good points which makes the FOP look bad. If I were an avg. citizen who didn't know anything about what was going on, I'd say T$ won this round, just with his response. Armando's looking pretty dumb right about now. We at the FOP need to get our act together before we strike again, if we strike at all.

09-05-2007, 10:10 PM
T$ has a great PR person or 2. I doubt very seriously he could compose a letter such as this one. The FOP must now rally the citizens. The NET officers need to enlist the support of their people and get them to come to the Commission meeting on Sept. 11 and speak their minds. Diaz needs to know that he is NOT the Almighty and has to answer to the citizens of Miami. I'm sure if enough civilians/citizens show up and support the police it will have an impact. Remember the Commissioners and the Mayor are voted on by the people. I know the NET officers are afraid of retribution but if you want change you have to take risks. Weigh the choices you have, garner support of the citizens you are sworn to protect and serve or continue to be belittled and make BS DIP and other arrests. Have the FOP rent some busses and get the seniors down the Commission meeting and let them speak their minds!

09-06-2007, 03:53 AM
The reason that there hasn't been any police shootings is because MORAL is so low, officers just do what they need (DIP's, Milk Crate) to do just to get by. Very little police work is done now a days. As said by many veterans Why do more than you have to, it will only get you in trouble.

09-06-2007, 04:57 AM
The sad truth is we showed up to a gun fight with a fishbat!!

Surely the keen minds at the FOP didn't think that we were going to throw one punch and the fight would be over did we?

We are trying to bring down not one, but two chiefs at the same time and we thought that they were just going to lay down and quietly blow away?

We are trying to end the career(s) of two people (I can't bring myself to refer to them as men) whom depend on their livelihoods as cops to bring home a pay check. If (and it is a mighty BIG IF) we succeed in toppling these two poor excuses for police managers, their carreers in law enforcement will be finished. If I were them, I would fight all the way to the door and pull out all the stops in the process. I think we took this task too lightly!!

As I watched Ken Jenne admit wrong doing tonite on the news, and his fervent appology to the men and women of his police &amp fire departments and the people of Broward County for faltering, I couldn't help comparing him and his response with the half arsed explanation/excuse/refusal to take responsibility by our illustrious chief.

If arrogance is a virtue this guy has enough for all of us all by himself!!! He is not aware of any discord amongst the troops I guess not, first you have to be arround to talk to them, then you have to listen, something that his self serving, camera loving arse has not done since he got here.

Be there no doubt in anyones mind they (Angel &amp Dell) spent the entire weekend working on his response to the no confidence vote, it was a no-brainer!!! I'll even bet that they used some hired guns to help them write it.

We should have been doing the same thing, getting ready for the second punch. We know the mayor was going to continue to back him, but now Sarnoff is changing his tune and is recomending a suspension of two weeks. The manager obviously read T$ response because now he is saying that the cops can't dictate to the city (him) how things should be run.

We are losing ground and credibility quickly. I sure hope that there is a fist in that glove that we have been waving or we are done.

God I am praying that Armando has a rabbit in his hat.