PDA

View Full Version : Question?

09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi folks ... sincere question for you Washington County folks. I've read a lot of the posts on your site and am a little disconcerned. My wife and I are thinking of making that area our home in a few years after I retire here in central Florida. No, I dont want to be a deputy again in TN ... I will have had 26 years of it by then and I'm done! But I would like to get your opinion of the area, quality of life issues, how you like living there, etc. I read one post griping about your detectives that said a Washington County patrol deputy may answer as many as eight calls a shift. That's a very easy day for me ... try 24 calls a shift with no dinner break as a routine day and having two deputies and a K9 shot (one deputy and his dog killed, the other deputy wounded) within the past year! You see it's all what you're used to I guess. Try multiple armed robberies and armed home invasions by bands of roving "african americans" in one night as a routine shift! I could go on and on. How many do you have in your county jail there? We're pushing FOUR THOUSAND with additions being built soon to accomodate FIVE thousand just in our county jail system alone. I listen to your dispatch sometimes via the internet in my patrol car and I'd trade places with you anytime! LOL But anyway I'd like some input on your sincere thoughts about the Washington County area and what it has to offer someone like me. I appreciate it ... and please stay safe!

09-07-2007, 03:17 AM
What is the point in going on and on and on about how difficult your job is in comparison with here if you are not planning on working as a LEO here? That makes no sense.

09-07-2007, 07:11 PM
What is the point in going on and on and on about how difficult your job is in comparison with here if you are not planning on working as a LEO here? That makes no sense.

Florida L.E. not welcomed in the Mountains! You guys are too intimidating for us. We enjoy the slow pace and if we wanta see more action, we watch Cops on TV..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

09-07-2007, 07:26 PM
LOL I was just trying to give a few examples of why I'd like a better place to live and a better quality of life for my wife and I and asked for some simple feed back on how you folks enjoy living there in that area.

By the way I'm from North Georgia, not New York or New Jersey, etc.

But I see that was over your heads a bit. I'll ask around elsewhere, thanks.

Hey, isnt there a loose goat or a barking chicken call pending or a sale down at Walmart that requires your attention?

Stay safe, nonetheless.

09-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Hey Florida Deputy,

At the risk of starting a whole bunch of meaningless jibber-jabber on this site let me just tell you not to be discouraged by one idiot who has nothing better to do than be a smart ass. This person represents a very small percentage of local law enforcement, you know the type I am sure.

This upper East Tennesse area is a really nice place to live. It is close to most things a person might need or want and still far enough from the big cities.

We are seeing more and more people arrive here from Florida, California, Ohio, Michigan and evn some folks are coming here from the Northeast. Understandably, this bothers a few people but most people embrace the changes and enjoy the different people and the $$money$$ they bring with them.

The only ones that are bothered by this influx of people are the ones who are uncomfortable with change, still embrace certain prejudices and those who support corrupt practices. The blind followers of the "negative" don't even realize they walk on the edge of extinction every day.

Most people in this area are just fine with this influx of people because they can see a bigger picture of positive change, better slaries and so on.

09-07-2007, 09:50 PM
To the Flordia Deputy, The area that we call home is a beautiful place, I would say probably one of the most beautiful places in the world, but I am a bit attached to the area having grown up here and lived here most my life. I would like to apoligize for the rude response that you received, but to explain..... We just recently had a former officer from Flordia move to the area and run for Sheriff against the best Sheriff we have ever had here, so don't take the unkindness personal. The Flordia hopeful actually looked down his nose at our agency and made some of the same comments that you made in your last post. Our officers are a proud bunch of officers and I would put them up against any officer in the nation. We feel that some people from larger agencies laugh at us or play down the fact that we answer fewer calls than some agencies, and yes we are lucky enough to get a "goat call" or a "cow out call" from time to time. But we do pride ourselves in the fact that we have much safer neighborhoods than you, and I credit that to the fine work of the Officers that work for our agency and to the citizens that we serve, mind you, we do still serve and protect the citizens of or county unlike some larger agencies who get wrapped up in the fact that they answer one call after another and forget the problem that they have just cleared from. Yes we are a proud bunch of officers and at times our pronounciations are not quite like others, but we bleed blue just as you and we place our lives on the line just as you. So, as you can see we are only police officers, just as you and we love our job, just as you. You are most welcome in our area and I am very sure that you and the wife will love it here. Just know that we are a little more slow paced than you are used to and we take great pride in our agency and we slow down enough to say hello to the people we serve. We also still open the car doors for our dates and stop our vehicles when we see a funeral procession. So come visit us I am sure you will love our area and you probably will never have to be one of the eight complainants that we see per shift.

09-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for your kind responses. The reason I posted on this site is NOT that I wanted to look down at your agency and your area as some have apparently done ... I ENVY you being there and working for a small agency. I want to come to a slower paced place where you still look after your neighbor and give a da*m about your community. I feel closer to God in a place like the Smokies of Tennessee or, for example, the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Your web site is impressive and like I said I listen to your dispatch sometimes via the internet in my patrol car. I dont want to come there and enter politics as some have done or upset the apple cart.

Thank you for your sincere responses. I do appreciate it. I will come up for a look see for myself. In the meantime you guys be safe and keep up the good work!

09-09-2007, 12:08 PM
To the Flordia Deputy, The area that we call home is a beautiful place, I would say probably one of the most beautiful places in the world, but I am a bit attached to the area having grown up here and lived here most my life. I would like to apoligize for the rude response that you received, but to explain..... We just recently had a former officer from Flordia move to the area and run for Sheriff against the best Sheriff we have ever had here, so don't take the unkindness personal. The Flordia hopeful actually looked down his nose at our agency and made some of the same comments that you made in your last post. Our officers are a proud bunch of officers and I would put them up against any officer in the nation. We feel that some people from larger agencies laugh at us or play down the fact that we answer fewer calls than some agencies, and yes we are lucky enough to get a "goat call" or a "cow out call" from time to time. But we do pride ourselves in the fact that we have much safer neighborhoods than you, and I credit that to the fine work of the Officers that work for our agency and to the citizens that we serve, mind you, we do still serve and protect the citizens of or county unlike some larger agencies who get wrapped up in the fact that they answer one call after another and forget the problem that they have just cleared from. Yes we are a proud bunch of officers and at times our pronounciations are not quite like others, but we bleed blue just as you and we place our lives on the line just as you. So, as you can see we are only police officers, just as you and we love our job, just as you. You are most welcome in our area and I am very sure that you and the wife will love it here. Just know that we are a little more slow paced than you are used to and we take great pride in our agency and we slow down enough to say hello to the people we serve. We also still open the car doors for our dates and stop our vehicles when we see a funeral procession. So come visit us I am sure you will love our area and you probably will never have to be one of the eight complainants that we see per shift.

This guy is a politician in training he should be the PR guy for the sheriff.
He puts together a much better sentence than the sheriff does. I have been here most of my life and he is right about lots of what he wrote above. The problem is that he is one of those who is in the inner circle and in his mind everything is fine. Things really need improvement around here. The guy from florida he mentioned never looked down his nose at anything or anyone. I talked to him and read all about him and he recognized serious problems and knew how to fix them. We have great people here we are afraid to speak out cause if the boss finds out we are gone. Its a good place to live as and work as long as you dont rock the boat.

09-09-2007, 12:09 PM

This guy is a politician in training he should be the PR guy for the sheriff.
He puts together a much better sentence than the sheriff does. I have been here most of my life and he is right about lots of what he wrote above. The problem is that he is one of those who is in the inner circle and in his mind everything is fine. Things really need improvement around here. The guy from florida he mentioned never looked down his nose at anything or anyone. I talked to him and read all about him and he recognized serious problems and knew how to fix them. We have great people here we are afraid to speak out cause if the boss finds out we are gone. Its a good place to live as and work as long as you dont rock the boat.

09-10-2007, 06:49 AM
So what pray tell, needs to change if you have your hand to the pulse of the department. Please provide your platform of change. We need enlightened ones such as you to provide this misguided administration with the appropriate game plan . If you can't provide some suggestive advice I would advise you shut up and quick whining like a sniveling little *****.

09-11-2007, 10:22 AM
As an outsider I'd like to ask what changes need to be made at WCSO. What problems do you all see that needs to be addressed? What are the solutions?

09-12-2007, 09:20 PM
So what pray tell, needs to change if you have your hand to the pulse of the department. Please provide your platform of change. We need enlightened ones such as you to provide this misguided administration with the appropriate game plan . If you can't provide some suggestive advice I would advise you shut up and quick whining like a sniveling little *****.

Thanks for the advice,,,,,,,, and,,, what if I dont do what you say will you call me more names ?

Maybe before you keep spouting off you should open your eyes and ears or grow a set and stand up for whats really right not your own misguided political perception or obligation.

09-13-2007, 04:00 AM
You see! you can't offer any real advice for the current administration. You are more concerned about being called a name which shows you have a real thin skin and don't have the stamina for this calling. I still stand by my first observation unless you can convince me otherwise.

09-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey "Pubulus" You sound like a child, grow up.

The answers you are looking for are spead all over this board. In addition to you already knowing what is going on and pretending you don't know or just ignoring it as has been mentioned, you could take it upon yourself to read the other posts on this site.

That being said, it seems that you are the thin skinned one. Read back on this page alone, you will see that one guy was answering the deputy from Florida and all of a sudden you chimed in and started attacking that guy.

09-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey "Pubulus" You sound like a child, grow up.

The answers you are looking for are spead all over this board. In addition to you already knowing what is going on and pretending you don't know or just ignoring it as has been mentioned, you could take it upon yourself to read the other posts on this site.

That being said, it seems that you are the thin skinned one. Read back on this page alone, you will see that one guy was answering the deputy from Florida and all of a sudden you chimed in and started attacking that guy.

09-14-2007, 04:14 AM
I am asking you all directly what should be the changes be,not some weak ass excuse look around the board. Give us your solutions! And if its get rid of the politics I would suggest you look around to every other department in the Country and you will some politics it is the the nature working in this environment. I am not saying every decision is to my liking but that is part of working in a grown up world. I would wage it is that way in every work place regardless of it being law enforcement.

09-17-2007, 01:58 PM
I would think that changing the department to a civil service position with a civil service board to oversee the hiring and promotion decisions would be a good start.

09-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Apparently you have never taken a civil service test, then found out that they can choose the number 1 canidate, or the number 12 canidate or the number 45 canidate or whomever the hell they want to hire, usually dependant upon who they "want" to hire. Sounds a lot like politics, huh? It does to me, mainly because it is. They hire whomever they know or the son or daughter of whomever the board members know or are related to. You can not escape the reality of this thing, you can only jump on that horse and ride it, trying to guide it in the direction you would like to go. Sometimes it allows you to lead and sometimes it leads you. We as cops like to think we can control whatever we come into contact with, but the reality is we can only control what lets us. I LIKE WORKING FOR UNCLE SAM, IT LETS ME KNOW JUST WHO I AM! LETS GET IT ON! :twisted:

09-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Everything I have read on here is the same thing I see everyday at my FL PD. Some of our PDs are better and some are not better. As the years go by the reputations of the individual PDs wax and wane.

When I started at mine we were top notch and envied, now, 17 years later, we are on a downhill slide and trying to stop it.

My PD is in central FL and we do answer animal calls.

I think the other FL LEO was trying to toot his own horn a bit. But most cops are type As anyway so don't let it bother any of you TN guys.

We are all blue and no matter how small (or large) a place we work at we are ALL subject to the same dangers

09-29-2007, 05:28 PM
It is a great place to live.

11-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Hear, Hear!!! This is a great place to live and raise a family. We are far enough away from most Big City problems, but close enough to be able to find their pluses as well. We also are centrally located to whatever you wish to do in your spare time: Beautiful scenery, NASCAR, Storytelling, Hiking, Fishing, Skiing, Whitewater rafting, etc. We who live here sometimes forget we are living in what some would call paradise. Come check our area out for your own view.