PDA

View Full Version : Another Goverment employee bashing editorial by the trib

09-03-2007, 12:15 PM
This has become a monthly thing with them. I guess its all the goverment employees that own those homes on bayshore and clearwater beach.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/sep/03 ... or-day-pa/ (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/sep/03/na-secure-government-workers-now-lead-labor-day-pa/)

09-04-2007, 06:44 AM
It's simple jealousy. Do you have any idea how much the stock value of most major newspaper companies have gone down in recent years? With circulation decreasing and more and more people getting news over the Internet, newspaper companies have been forced to do lots of budget cuts. They're just mad that they don't get what we get--kind of like the little kid whose mommy won't buy him the same toy as his friend.

There has to be SOME benefit for public service. Nobody is getting rich working for the government. There are plenty of people who live very well on low six figure salaries, but those who make the real money in this country are working in the private sector. Without the pensions, comfortable salaries, and job security that government work offers, why would anyone work for the government instead of the private sector?

09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Lets see, Goverment pensions are wrong, and a bunch of old people in the private sector with a 401K worth $6,000 is the way to go. Hmmm I think this editor should do a piece on who is going to feed and house all these broke retirees in the future with no money and no health insurance. 65% of Americans in the private sector do not contribute to their companies 401K. Of the ones who do 1/2 cash them out when the change jobs. Pensions are the answer not the enemy.

Stingray26
09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
All I can say to the writer of the editorial is "Don't hate, dude." I know plenty of people in the private sector who do very well. On the other hand there are plenty who don't. It depends on what you do. I for one am very glad to have a secure pension waiting upon retirement. For those that don't have that, you should have done a little more homework when it came time to choose a career. These are the choices we make. Let's face it, the pension is the single biggest reason anyone stays in Law Enforcement. It might not be the reason we got in the first place, but we are lying to ourselves if its not the reason we stay. TPD especially. As far as taxes are concerned, Hello! we pay taxes too, moron. Not to mention our pension contributions. Again, all I can say is "don't hate." Nobody is getting a free ride here.

09-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm a local business owner and I don't mind paying a little more in taxes so you guys can get a decent pension.
Afterall I only call the police when it's a situation that I do not want to risk my life dealing with. Just like any other service oriented profession, police officers need a decent wage and decent pension for risking their lives so I don't have to risk mine!