PDA

View Full Version : CAD vs UCR

08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Before you start quoting Florida statutes and think that changing a signal reflected in CAD changes the crime figures for the city, let me enlighten you about a few facts. The results of CAD have absolutely no bearing on the national crime comparison index for Miami or any other City. There are over 20.000 law enforcement agencies in the US. Each one assigns different dispatch signals to identify occurrences. With 50 states defining a burglary slightly different and an untold number of dispatch codes to describe the burglary there needed standardization to crime reporting. That standard is called the UCR report. This Uniform Crime Report is the result of a standardized coding of the crimes by the FBI. This coding doesn't know or care about 27r or 27m or 28. Whatever the criteria is in the report is what it is and is reflected in the national report. For example in Sioux City a train car gets broken into. By Florida statutes we call that a burglary of a conveyance. Their description is a theft. See the disparity?
That is why I think we may be getting our feathers ruffled for the wrong reasons on this issue
It is now ok to kill the messenger.

08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Before you start quoting Florida statutes and think that changing a signal reflected in CAD changes the crime figures for the city, let me enlighten you about a few facts. The results of CAD have absolutely no bearing on the national crime comparison index for Miami or any other City. There are over 20.000 law enforcement agencies in the US. Each one assigns different dispatch signals to identify occurrences. With 50 states defining a burglary slightly different and an untold number of dispatch codes to describe the burglary there needed standardization to crime reporting. That standard is called the UCR report. This Uniform Crime Report is the result of a standardized coding of the crimes by the FBI. This coding doesn't know or care about 27r or 27m or 28. Whatever the criteria is in the report is what it is and is reflected in the national report. For example in Sioux City a train car gets broken into. By Florida statutes we call that a burglary of a conveyance. Their description is a theft. See the disparity?
That is why I think we may be getting our feathers ruffled for the wrong reasons on this issue

Are saying someone reads every narrative and classifies the crime? FBI has someone in the basement doing this?

08-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Ah, your are trying to spin this one mr ucr. No matter what we call it, the fbi still calls a robbery a robbery. the report goes in as a vandalism, the FBI never hears of it as it isn't in MR Rablat. remember him? if you don't, you need to go back thru the academy. You think they look at every report and decide? Millions of reports nation wide daily and they look at everyone? If the report says larceny or spitting on the sidewalk, the fbi cannot check everyone. They depend on correct reporting. And checking here, they do not have to worry about what it is called in Omaha.

08-31-2007, 07:05 AM
This is the same B.S. that all the majors came down to tell us, while they were trying to do damage control. We all know the truth, dont try to fool us. You just know that when T$ is out , SO ARE YOU.

08-31-2007, 12:40 PM

NICE TRY MESSENGER, (SOCORRO), BUT IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH INDIVIDUAL POLICE DEPARTMENT TO FILE THE UCR WITH THE FEDS. IF THE CITY OF MIAMI IS CHANGING THE SIGNALS IN CAD THEN THE CITY WILL IN TURN ERRONEOUSLY FILE THE UCR'S. i.e. A 29 TURNED INTO A 27 WILL NEVER BE REPORTED IN THE UCR REPORT AS A PART 1 CRIME. THE CITY,ANY CITY FOR THAT MATTER, MUST REPORT THESE CRIMES ACCORDING TO THE FEDS CRITERIA, HENCE UCR MEANS UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING.

THE UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING (UCR) PROGRAM WAS CONCEIVED IN 1929 BY THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CHIEFS OF POLICE TO MEET A NEED FOR RELIABLE, UNIFORM CRIME STATISTICS FOR THE NATION. IN 1930, THE FBI WAS TASKED WITH COLLECTING, PUBLISHING, AND ARCHIVING THOSE STATISTICS. TODAY, SEVERAL ANNUAL STATISTICAL PUBLICATIONS, SUCH AS THE COMPREHENSIVE CRIME IN THE UNITED STATES, ARE PRODUCED FROM DATA PROVIDED BY NEARLY 17,000 LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES ACROSS THE UNITED STATES.

08-31-2007, 12:57 PM
CAD is used for dispatch and documenting when and what type reports should be written and turned in to records. The written report should properly document the elements of the crime, MO, etc. It is those factors that determine the offense type not what the CAD signal is called from State to State. Utilizing the UCR guidelines the Records system then calculates the UCR Crime Rate and that is turned in to FDLE, then the FBI. Occasionally FDLE audits are done on the UCR reporting system in a department. Seems like a thorough one is needed here.

08-31-2007, 01:08 PM
CAD is used for dispatch and documenting when and what type reports should be written and turned in to records. The written report should properly document the elements of the crime, MO, etc. It is those factors that determine the offense type not what the CAD signal is called from State to State. Utilizing the UCR guidelines the Records system then calculates the UCR Crime Rate and that is turned in to FDLE, then the FBI. Occasionally FDLE audits are done on the UCR reporting system in a department. Seems like a thorough one is needed here.

ALL COMPSTAT MEETINGS ARE SUSPENDED. THE FDLE WILL SET UP THEIR SATELLITE OFFICE IN THE COMPSTAT MEETING ROOM UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

THE HONORABLE CHARLIE CRIST

09-01-2007, 01:54 AM
i heard the CID asst chief is having his staff review all 26-29's that have been chnaged to 14's. anyone know any thing about that

09-01-2007, 10:47 PM
The encoding of the elements of the crime is accomplished by data input clerks in records. It is basically fill in the blanks. In theory the clerk does not embellish or detract from the elements of the crime. Remember we have close to 60 signals in the Q codes to describe the 10 or 15 crimes recorded in UCR. Every jurisdiction can call the crime whatever signal they want. The elements are what dictate the classification on a UNIFORM basis. The people that will be scrutinized the most are those data entry personnel in records. And in answer to your question, number one the FBI and FDLE do not get copies of each individual report and number two this is not Socorro. I am an independent non affiliated free thinking employee with enough initiative to research and formulate an opinion on this subject matter. And no I have no allegiance to any group except the loyal hard working members of our department.

09-02-2007, 03:08 AM
CAD is what is looked at in COMSTAT. Don't be a dope.