PDA

View Full Version : Captain Williams

08-27-2007, 09:49 PM
I have read all the post on the our site (PCSO) regarding Captain Williams, but was curious what BPD thought about him, since he has been in charge, Good, Bad or indifferent just curious.

08-29-2007, 01:20 AM
I think Williams is a nice guy, but I don't think much has changed since his arrival. I also think he needs to focus on the police dept., and quit pushing a merger down everyone's throat...thats just my opinion

08-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I ALSO LIKE CAPT. WILLIAMS HE SEEMS TO BE A NICE AND HONORABLE MAN AND A VERY DEDICATED ADMINISTRATOR. I HOPE DURING HIS TIME WITH US HE CAN USE HIS ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE TO BRING BARTOW OUT OF THE 1960'S POLICEING MENTALITY AND CURRENT WITH WHAT OTHER PROGRESSIVE AGENCIES ARE DOING. I ALSO HOPE HE WILL BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO PUSH CITY HALL FOR OUR MUCH NEEDED MANPOWER WHICH IS CAUSING MANY INTERNAL PROBLEMS.

08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
To BPD1,

I hate to disappiont you, but Willaims was sent by Grady not to help, but to take over your agency. Be very Careful !!

08-29-2007, 04:49 PM
TO RETIREE,

SINCE I SIT INSIDE THIS BUILDING AND YOU DO NOT I'M WELL AWARE OF THE THINGS DIRECTOR WILLIAMS HAS DONE AND IS DOING TO HELP. IF THEY (PCSO) ARE HERE TO TAKE OVER SO BE IT, IT CAN IN NO WAY BE WORSE THAN WHAT WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH FOR THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS.

08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
BPD1, i sit in the same building you do, (probably not as much as you) and i agree with retiree. what has williams done, chaged a couple of forms, put the admin on a staff rotation,,,,maybe some painting here and there...what, please tell what changes has he made?!? he is here to arrange the takeover! i have seen nothing different

08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
bpd2, i think you hit it on the head son. I was in the meeting when we were told we need to push the merger I have not seen any changes to aid the city police. The only excuse Williams gives for the manpower issue is "i can call deputies to do that" Where is bpd1 coming from when he said Williams is at city hall trying to get us manpower. If he is getting us manpower its a 455 N. Broadway Avenue!!!!

08-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Hey guys, I read your survey. You are getting what you asked for! I am sure Williams is being directed every step of the way! Sheriff is not going to let him fail. The members who were negitive in the survey will not make the grade at PCSO.

Your going down just like Eaglelake, Frostproof, and Ft. Meade. Yes thats right Ft. Meade.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

08-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Well the land slide has began. Sheriff Judd has scheduled a private meeting with select employees at the Police Department. Don't know why or who, but I know there is a meeting at 1300 hours tommorow

08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Let’s review, City conducted a survey and the majority stated all the brass was worthless. One of the posts said the department was still in the 60’s. That’s an interesting comment. Most city police departments divide the city into zones. Calls come into the call center, and the zone unit answers the calls in that zone. How does that compare to Bartow! Do the officers still hand write reports? What’s up with the 60’s comment.

Sheriff provided a captain to run your agency. The purpose was to improve morale and restore professionalism. When I read the posts on the PCSO directory, It would appear they have severe morale issues also. Don’t think the Sheriff can afford to keep the captain at your agency. Needs to bring him back to fix his own department.

As they say “ Perception Is Reality” where does TRUTH come into the picture!

08-31-2007, 12:17 AM
That is an interesting observation lpdguest. I know the S.O. has their problems as well as anyother agency. Bartow also HAD zone units as did every other agency as you mentioned. I capitalized HAD b/c Williams said that was needed any longer. BPD doesn't need to patrol, they just need to respond to where they are called according to Williams. Williams was SUPPOSE to be there to provide morale and leadership, but the only thing he is leading is the line to sign up for the S.O.

08-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Has your new director had any positive comments about your department? Did read that one of your captains resigned. Is that the master plan to force out all your senior administration?

I knew several of them in the past. Was it truly their fault that the city would not provide the needed personnel to keep up with annexation. Bartow for years, even for a small agency, had all the toys you needed to do the job. Someone at your agency had to get that for you. Your city has had money issues for a long time.

I guess when and if the Sheriff takes over, money will not be a issue. Bartow will also have all the personnel to do the job.

Good Luck!

08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Williams has gone from saying he wants to help us succeed to blatantly recruiting and tearing the department apart from within. His latest strategy is using extortion by saying either we approach the Sheriff and City and ask for the merger to have SOME power or await the "floodgates" to open when Sheriff Judd allows BPD Officers to be hired in March. Has even gone so far as to say its a done deal its going to happen anyway.

08-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Does the City manager and City Commission know of this meeting. Do they really know how he has turned into a recruiter from within. We just want to work and make our department strong again. Leave us alone Williams and Judd. To the Commission and City Manager, we are willing to stick it out and help you help us. Dont abandon your own police department.

08-31-2007, 01:08 PM
To the members of the Bartow PD, I told you guys this would happen several posts ago. Grady and his boy Larry want to create a Dept of Public Safety county wide with Grady as the Pope. Good luck to the members of the BPD. Keep on fightng for your jobs.

09-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Dear Hostiletakerover. Yes the city manger and commision are aware the Sheriff has met with their employees and surprise surprise they support it. It has been relayed that the manager and commis. want the merger but don't want to be the responsible party. They no longer wish to support the Police but want it to look like the employees came up with the idea. So, to those of you patiently waiting,,,,,,the wait is over...the merger is coming.

09-05-2007, 01:53 PM
i sure am gonna miss this place.

09-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Williams has done nothing for this department but tear it down. In our first meeting he made the comment that he was here to bring the department back where it needed to be or he could be here to blow smoke up our a$$e$...well it appears that is all he has done is blow smoke.

09-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Williams has done nothing for this department but tear it down. In our first meeting he made the comment that he was here to bring the department back where it needed to be or he could be here to blow smoke up our a$$e$...well it appears that is all he has done is blow smoke.

You are correct that Captain Williams has not made a lot of changes since he's been here, but what he has offered has made a difference to a lot of us. Captain Williams is only with us temporarily. It would make no sense to any of us for him to restructure everything, then make more changes when the new chief comes.

Captain Williams has opened his door and listened to the problems we have taken to him. He has made minor changes as appropriate, for example, communications is not supposed to ask for a cross street to better expedite our response times. The forms have been condensed so we don't have quite as much paper, and we are no longer required to write 22D reports on every 22D we respond to. These are small steps, but they have had a positive impact on the officers. The fact that he listens to our concerns has probably had the greatest impact on most of the officers.

Yes, Captain Williams did try to recruit us to go to the Sheriff's Office. I don't fault him at all for giving us an option. It happens that we have collectively decided not to go that route, and the majority of us wish to keep our department. I have not heard him push the Sheriff's Office at all since.

I think that Captain Williams has done much more than "blow smoke", and as far as him "tearing down our department", we have managed to do that on our own. We have all, myself included, argued with one another about what is in the best interest of this department, and we've watched some very self-serving people try to sway our opinions. We have had meetings exclusive of certain members of the department, and have not worked together as a collective unit. We are destroying ourselves. He doesn't have to tear us down.

We haven't given Cpt. Williams much of a chance to make changes, and I'm certain this has not been an easy task for him. I give him credit for his professionalism, and his genuine concern for each of us. He has made the effort to be a part of our agency by coming to the DUI checkpoint. When is the last time our former administration came out? He recently went to the academy graduation, not as a guest speaker, but in support of one of our own graduating. None of our other administrators bothered to show up. Captain Williams doesn't work 9-5 like our previous admin. He's been there a lot for us.

The point is, I think it's time we start working together again, and that means offering our support to the Captain. He hasn't made any earth shattering changes, but I know my morale has improved, and I've seen positive changes in the attitudes of my fellow officers throughout the department.

09-23-2007, 09:22 PM
To the above post, did you ever think that Grady told his boy Larry to do these things? Ever hear of conquering from within? Be Very carefull BPD. It's only a matter of time

09-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Yes, Retiree, I've heard of conquering from within. I also know that we were not satisfied with the previous administration, and when the Chief left, we had to have someone oversee the department. The City did right by approaching the SO to come in until we could find a new Chief.

I think Cpt. Williams is doing a good job. I think if each of us gave enough thought to the situation, we could come up with a hundred conspiracy theories as to how and why Sheriff Judd and Captain Williams want to destroy the Bartow Police Department. Personally I choose to put my efforts into doing my part to make Bartow the department it used to be, and a department that I can be proud of.

If the Commission decides in time that law enforcement services will be contracted to the Sheriff's Office, I will go without question and be proud to work for them also. I have no problems with the SO, but given the choice, I'm happy with Bartow.

09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
To the above post, you are certainly supervisory material LOL !!

BpdEmployee
09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Thank you. That gives me hope that I'm not wasting my money on continuing my education! Thanks again for the kind words!

09-25-2007, 12:05 AM

You are correct that Captain Williams has not made a lot of changes since he's been here, but what he has offered has made a difference to a lot of us. Captain Williams is only with us temporarily. It would make no sense to any of us for him to restructure everything, then make more changes when the new chief comes.

Captain Williams has opened his door and listened to the problems we have taken to him. He has made minor changes as appropriate, for example, communications is not supposed to ask for a cross street to better expedite our response times. The forms have been condensed so we don't have quite as much paper, and we are no longer required to write 22D reports on every 22D we respond to. These are small steps, but they have had a positive impact on the officers. The fact that he listens to our concerns has probably had the greatest impact on most of the officers.

Yes, Captain Williams did try to recruit us to go to the Sheriff's Office. I don't fault him at all for giving us an option. It happens that we have collectively decided not to go that route, and the majority of us wish to keep our department. I have not heard him push the Sheriff's Office at all since.

I think that Captain Williams has done much more than "blow smoke", and as far as him "tearing down our department", we have managed to do that on our own. We have all, myself included, argued with one another about what is in the best interest of this department, and we've watched some very self-serving people try to sway our opinions. We have had meetings exclusive of certain members of the department, and have not worked together as a collective unit. We are destroying ourselves. He doesn't have to tear us down.

We haven't given Cpt. Williams much of a chance to make changes, and I'm certain this has not been an easy task for him. I give him credit for his professionalism, and his genuine concern for each of us. He has made the effort to be a part of our agency by coming to the DUI checkpoint. When is the last time our former administration came out? He recently went to the academy graduation, not as a guest speaker, but in support of one of our own graduating. None of our other administrators bothered to show up. Captain Williams doesn't work 9-5 like our previous admin. He's been there a lot for us.

The point is, I think it's time we start working together again, and that means offering our support to the Captain. He hasn't made any earth shattering changes, but I know my morale has improved, and I've seen positive changes in the attitudes of my fellow officers throughout the department.

We are certainly pleased you are content with the current situation the department is in. Capt. Williams does appear to be interested in the members of the department. But you must realize his & the sheriff’s reputation is also at stake. They must succeed at any cost. That does not necessarily mean a merger. But it is highly likely that could happen. You are also critical of the previous administration. I know the previous administration was very involved in community activities. Those are not scheduled between 8am – 5pm. The fact is you really don’t have any true knowledge of what the administration was involved in. It would appear you are crying because they were not out 24/7 holding your hand. If you require that much supervision, you won’t make it at the SO anyway. As to not having to complete a few 22D reports, which would also indicate a problem in it’s self regarding your dedication to the job. The sad part is most of the one’s complaining are the least desirable employees.

So complete your education, and maybe you can further gain some real life experience!

BpdEmployee
09-25-2007, 05:49 AM
My comment was my personal opinion in support of the efforts of Captain Williams.

Your post states "We are certainly pleased you are content" which indicates that this is not only your opinion, but the opinion of others as well and you should realize that the Bartow Police Department in years prior to this past administration was one of the finest law enforcement agencies in this county. I would like to see this agency return to what it once was.

Having the SO loan us one of their administrators was due to a lack of competency of our past administration. However subtle the changes have been over the past several months with Cpt. Williams as our administrator has had a positive impact within the department by creating an atmosphere of caring and interest in the employees which we have not seen in many years.

As far as after hours community activities, you are correct. I may not know what they were involved in, but then again, I may not WANT to know what they were involved in. I do know that I have attended many after hours events that did not include anyone from our administration to represent our department.

As for the whining, crying, hand-holding and requiring much supervision, I believe my original post was in support of the current administration and absent of any whining or crying. Colin Powell said, "Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help, or conclude that you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership." As a department, we stopped bringing our problems to the administration long ago because of the lack of confidence and obvious conclusion that the prior administration did not care. The fact that Cpt. Williams is open to listen and open to change only supports my conclusion that he has leadership skills unlike we have seen before.

I do not view the employees who wish to mend the problems within this agency as the "least desireable" employees, however if you are part of the old administration and part of the problem of the past, then I would understand that positive change, and effective and efficient use of officers time, communication between staff and line officers, resolution of issues and problems, would be an uncomfortable change for you.

I, myself, feel confident that this is not the case, and even though your apparent opinion of this department and these officers is low, this department will recover and will get on track. We will once again be a department that each of us can be proud of, and we can live up to our slogan of "Pride and Progress".

so concerned
10-02-2007, 05:14 PM
It amazes me how much whining and crying law enforcement officers can do. You burnt yourselves by completing the survey heard round the world. You were not happy with sandvic, so hes out. You were not happy with delegge, well hes gone also. Now you gripe and whine because you have a Captain from another agency. You feel as you are losing control, so you bash this man that comes here, probably not by his choice. It seems like you will not be happy with whoever is in that position, because he/she will not make everyone happy. Tell you what you need to do. Oust everyone from Lt and above, comprise a Board of Directors instead of one cheif. Then you could meet daily and gripe to each other, because there is no money for raises, not enough man power to cover calls, and the electric department still has a better break room than you do. Then everyone below you can oust you, because morale is down and your not doing your job. Hey but they wont stop there, then they get to bash you in the media. Sounds like your agency has alot of problems, not because of the chief or the Director, but because your employees are so divided.

Sounds like your employees need to have an employee meeting and get all your crying done to each other and come to an agreement to construct a united front for either a take over, or to fight the take over.

lets take a look at what you currently have. Ahhh a crime scene unit that is top notch..oh wait, you dont have one. How old are your cars and equipment ? Your coverage area for the city has expanded, but hey you dont have to answer calls there yet, because you dont have the man power.

Lets take a look at what you would gain. Better pay, better equipment, a large crime scene unit, access to a very large narcotics unit, if a problem begins in an area, well hey the sheriff's office can send more deputies down there and saturate the problem. You probably wouldnt lose your rank, even though you dont qualify for stripes at the s.o. Man I can see how this would be such a bad idea, how dare them for even bringing it up.

Maybe you should begin thinking how would this better serve the citizens of your city instead of how you would look in a green uniform.

10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Another Judd I Knight talking !! LOL

10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I THINK THAT THERE OUGHT TO BE A SURVEY DONE REGARDING THE EMPLOYEE'S OF BARTOW POLICE DEPARTMENT. LET'S SEE HOW MANY RESPONSES WE CAN GET FROM THE CITIZENS AND EMPLOYEE'S OF BARTOW.

WHAT DUMB A$$E$$. THEY PASSED UP AN OPPORTUNITY THEY WILL NEVER SEE AT THAT DEPARTMENT. WHILE THE OFFICERS AT THE S.O, LPD, MPD, APD, WHP SURPASS YOU, YOU ALL WILL WALLER' IN THE
MUCK YOU ALL CREATED. I AM NOT SURE IT WAS YOUR ADMINISTRATION THAT WAS FAILING YOU ALL, AS MUCH AS YOU ALL ARE FAILING YOURSELVES AND EACH OTHER.

IS THERE ANY LOYALTIES? A BROTHERHOOD? TEAM? YOU CANT WIN A GAME WITHOUT TEAM EFFORT AND TEAM PARTICIPATION. YOU ALL ARE ALL OUT IN THE OUTFIELD RUNNING IN TO EACH OTHER TO CATCH THE SAME DREAM.

GRADY LOANED WILLIAMS TO HELP BARTOW POLICE DEPARTMENT OUT. WILLIAMS HAD NO CLUE WHO YOU PEOPLE WERE AND WHAT YOU WERE LIKE. I KNOW HE HAS HAD AN OPEN DOOR POLICY TO ALL OF YOU, AND HAS GIVEN MANY HOURS TO YOUR DEPARTMENT TO HAVE YOU ALL COME TOGETHER AND MAKE YOUR DEPARTMENT A BETTER PLACE.

MOST OF YOU HAVE WHINED, BI***ED, CRIED THE BLUES, BACKSTABBED, AND OF COURSE REJECT ANY ADVICE, OR HELP WILLIAMS MAY OFFER. GOD FORBID YOU LET AN S.O GUY HELP OUT!

IF I WERE HIM I WOULD HAVE A CLOSED DOOR POLICY FROM HERE ON OUT. BUT OF COURSE HE IS A BETTER MAN, AND WILL ENDURE THE LONG FIVE MONTHS THAT HE HAS TO REMAIN THERE AT YOUR DEPARTMENT. I KNOW HE WILL LEAD YOU ALL IN A BETTER DIRECTION IF YOU WILL JUST LISTEN TO WHAT HE HAS FOR YOU ALL.

YOU GUYS NEED TO HAVE A PLAN FROM HERE ON OUT AND IMPLEMENT
NEW IDEAS AND GO FORWARD WITH A NEW.

10-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I can't think of anyone who has rejected Williams or his ideas. He has had an open door policy which is used on a regular basis. From what I have heard, everyone hear appreciates his efforts. Where are you getting your information?

As far as other agencies passing us by...I have said it before and Ill say it again. LEAVE!!!!! No one wants you here. If officers want a better opportunity they can certainly pursue one, God knows many many have over the past years. Smaller agencies always have and always will be used as a stepping stone for some.

You ask if there are any loyalties...are you an idiot, thats the whole point of why we didnt leave you jackass.

We are working on new ideas and employing them...who are you? Do you even work for us? If you did, you wouldn't post such nonsense.

10-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Mayor Brian Hinton said he'd still like to know how much Judd could save the city, but said he's willing to wait until things settle down in the city.

Judd said he had no doubt that he could save Bartow money on the department's $5.4 million annual budget, but he'd have to review the department's records more thoroughly to prepare a proposal.

The new City Manager will need to get into office first, and then go from there. Williams is on loan until March, and hopefully by then the City and the Sheriffs Office will have ran the numbers to see exactly how much the Sheriff can save Bartow Police Department. In the long run..... The Sheriffs Office would benefit both the Police Agency and the City of Bartow.

10-03-2007, 08:03 PM
YOU CAN REPEAT ALL YOU WANT TO GRADYFICATION. IT DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE.

BESIDES, SHERIF JUDD HAS MADE THE STATEMENT THAT IF THE MAJORITY OF THE BARTOW POLICE OFFICERS DON'T WANT THE PCSO TO MERGE WITH BARTOW PD THEN HE WON'T ENTERTATIN THE IDEA.

THE MAJORITY OF THE BARTOW OFFICERS DON'T WANT TO MERGE SO GUESS WHAT? AND THATS NOT EVEN COUTING THE CIVILIANS.

I FIRMLY BELIVE THAT SHERIFF JUDD IS A MAN OF HIS WORD.

10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
I believe Grady is a man of his word, but eventually it will come down to the City Commissioners and the City. The City raised the cost of Storm water this and Storm water that, raised the cost of Electricity...
Even with the Citizens complaining and not wanting this..... The City of Bartow still raised these fees to get more money....

If Grady can save the City of Bartow Money.....Then they will entertain this idea eventually. It wont be the Sheriff coming to them.. It will be the City of Bartow going to him.

10-03-2007, 08:14 PM

I agree and I would like to thank Capt. Williams for coming to work with us.

10-03-2007, 08:15 PM
YOU CAN MAKE ALL THE EXCUSES AND HEM AND HAW THAT YOU WANT TO.

EITHER GRADY JUDD IS A MAN OF HIS WORKD OR HE ISN'T.

I BELIEVE THAT HE IS A MAN OF HIS WORD.

10-03-2007, 08:24 PM
GUEST,

you will be begging for the Sheriff to be your boss by March.

Not only is he a man of his word........ HE IS THE WORD!!

10-03-2007, 08:26 PM
WHEN WAS A VOTE TAKEN? I HAVENT HEARD OF A VOTE BEING TAKEN.

10-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Thats your opinion jackass. As stated before, the city needs tom get hold its finances. We already know the number, 500,000 which isnt enough in a 5+ million dollar budget to justify destroying a police department. Again, your opinion on how it would turn out, why dont you keep it to yourself.