PDA

View Full Version : LIBERAL JUDGES

Greg Stout
08-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Saturday, August 25, 2007

Dear Brother and Sister Law Enforcement Officers:

I would normally begin by telling you that I had a great week in spreading the word about us taking back our PBA. This week was not a good week at all. After hearing about Sgt. Ron Harrison’s murder last week and the subsequent death of the offender, who appeared to be doing his best to kill even more police officers before he was sent to Hell by the HCSO Tactical Team, it made me wonder how such a violent person like him could be out on the street, available to commit more violence. Then I discovered that a local judge let him out on bail after he re-offended while being out on bail. Even after hearing that the State Attorney’s Office advised against it, the judge let him out anyway. Apparently this is not the first time this judge has released some thug who went out and murdered some innocent person after being set free on bail.

A good friend suggested that every police officer in Tampa send this judge a Christmas card saying simply that we hope his Christmas is good since the Harrison family’s won’t be. I like that idea.

I thought it would be a good idea to erect a billboard near the residence of the judge, or across the street from the court house saying the judge should shoulder some responsibility for the death of Sgt. Harrison. That judge should feel us!

Sgt. Harrison and I have crossed paths over the years. I have met him and spoken to him several times and always walked away impressed by his genuine warmth. As I sat there at the funeral on Tuesday I thought how close in age we were and how he had as many years in law enforcement as me. I thought about my daughter and two sons as I heard his daughter and son each give their moving eulogy about their father. While I was sad, I was also angry about all of the sorrow that continues to be cast upon us, the law enforcement officers of America, by liberal judges who just don’t get the fact that repeat violent offenders should not be on the street. They belong in jail, away from the lawful people we defend each day.

I decided there and then to find Kevin Durkin at the conclusion of the service and discuss what we, the PBA could do to make this judge hear us. Kevin, where were you? I couldn’t find you.

Till next time,

Greg Stout

08-25-2007, 08:12 PM
I decided there and then to find Kevin Durkin at the conclusion of the service and discuss what we, the PBA could do to make this judge hear us. Kevin, where were you? I couldn’t find you.

I came from a department where the police union wielded significant political power. It's a shame that it's not like that here with our PBA. I guess our PBA is spending too much of its money on a $25K stipend and a take-home vehicle for a secretary to worry about such things as making political statements.

The union should fight for its members in every way possible. That means Kevin or another PBA rep should make statements to the media, saying the things that the city is afraid to say. How come this never happens?

We need someone like Gary Delagnes, the president of San Francisco's union. Here's an example of his media response to a police shooting:

http://media.sfpoa.org/9591734.wmv

Now that's a union leader the membership can get behind.

08-25-2007, 09:01 PM
that sounds just like Kevin!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would be nice to have a P.B.A. that had balls!

08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
After watching that video there is only one thing I can say, AMEN, and can I get a hell ya from the bleachers. I have'nt even heard from our PBA since the murder of Sgt. Harrison occurred. Why not?

08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree. It is the job of the PBA to stand up for the membership. Whether that means fighting for pay and benefits or expressing outrage that one of our elected judges dropped the ball, it's all in a union's job description. With all the membership that the PBA has, our union has some major potential to be a public advocate for thousands and a political force to be reckoned with. It's a shame that they don't care.

08-25-2007, 11:53 PM
I love that video!!!!!!! :lol:

08-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Last time Kevin held a news conference it was to complain his brother had been fired..... In fact this is the only time I know of Kevin ever holding a news conference...

08-26-2007, 03:08 AM
Are you kidding me? Durkin did not go to the funeral? Was Tuesday a workday for him? He couldn't even get that right!

08-26-2007, 08:34 AM
He couldn't go because he was busy driving the secretary's car around the block because there is no parking available.

08-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Actually that video was about a SFPD cop who got rammed by the suspect during a pursuit and the media was doing the usual "why pursue" crap.
Otherwise, Greg....you are finally talking now! You got me on board....these are issues that the PBA should SCREAM about......... Lopez is terrible...I am actually suprised that more officers didn't already know that.

08-27-2007, 12:06 AM
The TPD and HCSO PBA members need to band together and make the union strong, like it should be. Between the two agencies, you would have a very large law enforcement contingent that would have some political strength. I don't understand why both agencies have the same union, but seem miles apart. Is it because HCSO leadership will never support a fair contract or what? It just seems like the two banding together would create some strong political clout. Is the new proposed PBA leadership and structure on board with this idea?

Greg Stout
08-27-2007, 01:28 AM
Dear TPD 22 and Guest:

I hope to combine two things with one response. First and foremost, I fully agree that the PBA should be the bully pulpit on issues that affect us all personally such as liberal judges who legislate from the bench and put their slant on the law. I am stunned that Kevin Durkin has remained silent on this important issue. Rather than endorsing drunken tax collector’s the PBA should zero in on people like this judge who bring us sorrow. We will send him a message during the next election. His defeat will be a PBA priority. That is a promise.

As for combining HCSO and TPD to be one cohesive group, one of the first things I did as I announced my candidacy was to personally meet with Mike Rouleau, who is the President of the HCSO PBA Chapter. We have met again and spoken several times since our first meeting. I believe that he wants just want I do, one strong and committed group who will stand up for the troops and carry our message forward. I know that Mike and I will work well together. It only makes good sense that we get along well and we will. If you talk to HCSO they feel just like we do, that they have all but been abandoned by the PBA leadership at the very top. That will change immediately. Every agency involved in the PBA will suddenly know what it is like to have union backing and support.

Thanks for your questions. Don’t hesitate to keep asking them.

Greg Stout

08-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Dear TPD 22 and Guest:

I hope to combine two things with one response. First and foremost, I fully agree that the PBA should be the bully pulpit on issues that affect us all personally such as liberal judges who legislate from the bench and put their slant on the law. I am stunned that Kevin Durkin has remained silent on this important issue. Rather than endorsing drunken tax collector’s the PBA should zero in on people like this judge who bring us sorrow. We will send him a message during the next election. His defeat will be a PBA priority. That is a promise.

As for combining HCSO and TPD to be one cohesive group, one of the first things I did as I announced my candidacy was to personally meet with Mike Rouleau, who is the President of the HCSO PBA Chapter. We have met again and spoken several times since our first meeting. I believe that he wants just want I do, one strong and committed group who will stand up for the troops and carry our message forward. I know that Mike and I will work well together. It only makes good sense that we get along well and we will. If you talk to HCSO they feel just like we do, that they have all but been abandoned by the PBA leadership at the very top. That will change immediately. Every agency involved in the PBA will suddenly know what it is like to have union backing and support.

Thanks for your questions. Don’t hesitate to keep asking them.

Greg Stout

Great answers................You get my vote.

08-27-2007, 02:50 AM
In May of this year a TPD officer named John Armao was shot by Kevin Hunter. Kevin hunter was out on bond for several charges for violent crimes. They included aggrevated battery and firearms offenses, yet he was released on bond by judge WAYNE S TIMMERMAN. Mr Hunter then did not show up for his court date. Subsequently a warrant was issued for his arrest. Ofc John Armao was dispatched to 711 Castle Ct to pick him up for the warrant with Mr Hunters bondsman. Once on scene they enetered the house and John Armao was shot twice by Mr Hunter. Mr Hunter then killed himself before he could be apprehended. Seems its not too hard for criminals to get more guns, especially when they are released on bond for offenses involving firearms. It also seems that this could have been prevented if Mr Hunter was in jail instead of roaming the streets. Something needs to be done about these judges. Since our PBA has said nothing, I'm asking what can be done. Greg Stout can you help us?

08-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Kevin hunter was out on bond for several charges for violent crimes. They included aggrevated battery and firearms offenses, yet he was released on bond by judge WAYNE S TIMMERMAN.

While I agree Hunter was a dirtbag, there's a bit of a difference in the two cases. The Florida Statutes are specific in situations that allow a defendant to be held without bail. Just because someone is charged with a violent crime doesn't necessarily mean they can be held without bail. The difference between Hunter and Phillips is that Phillips was arrested for crimes committed WHILE he was out on bail (a violation of the Florida Statutes). He should have been held without bail after those arrests, but he was not. Hunter wasn't arrested while he was out on bail and then repeatedly given bail again. Unfortunately, Hunter's actions did not meet the statutory requirements for being held without bail.

On the other hand, Hunter should have been in Florida State Prison. He was released two years early. If he had been in prison fully paying for his past crimes that he was CONVICTED of and SENTENCED for, the shooting never would have occurred. That's DOC's fault, not the judge's fault.

Greg Stout
08-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Good morning Ian:

Thanks for your question. After Sgt. Harrison was murdered I spoke to a couple of attorney’s I know and they tell me that there is a specific Florida State Statute regarding suspects out on bond who commit more crime. Those are the persons who should NOT be given another bond. Last year, I arrested a police impersonator in Tampa. He had a Crown Vic that had more equipment in it than an unmarked TPD vehicle, blue lights, sirens, strobes, etc. Because he was standing in the center of a drug hole when I located him, I called a K-9 over and the dog hit on the dashboard of the car. This car had a vent on the top of the dash on the driver’s side that just popped out. In the hole under the vent, the K-9 officer found a sizeable amount of cocaine. Shortly after being taken into custody, we found that the defendant was out on bond on two complete separate Cocaine Trafficking charges. I’m talking trafficking! The judge in my case yanked all bonds and put the guy in jail. He is still there a year later aaiting trial. That’s how it should work. I agree with the D-2 Officer who gave a response just after your question. Some people are entitled to a bond under Florida law, but when they re-offend after being out on bond that is a different matter entirely.

I can also you that we intend to meet with the State Attorney, Public Defender and the Chief Judge on a regular basis to discuss issues involving our members. Ask around, I’m not shy.

Thanks again for your question.

Greg Stout

08-27-2007, 02:07 PM
What I see as a huge gap in the bond laws, is that I have arrested numerous suspects out on bond, many of which were drug dealers w/guns etc, and what they do is this: when you transport them to jail, the jail sets a standard bond amount, the suspects then try to bond out as quick as they can, so that most never are in jail long enough to see a judge..................and the criminal element knows this and it needs to be addressed.

Suspects that are out on bond, should NOT get any bail set by the jail until they see a Judge!!

I have dealt with suspects who had bonded out two or three times when I arrested them and had yet to see a judge. Most Bondsmen companies could care less and will repeatedly issue surety bonds for these good customers (sh*tbags) of theirs. It's all about the $$$$ for the bond companies, and they too need to be held accountable for repeatedly bonding these repeat offenders out of jail.

08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Very true about bondsman........ they could care less, and know that 99% of the time when the loser skips court that the cops will pick him up anyway and they will not be out any $$$.
Be VERY careful about blasting all Judges...... Timmerman for example is a great Judge.....has been fair and always hands down great sentences when he can. Timmerman is one that we need. The several others need to go ASAP.

08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Greg thanks for you response. I agree the case I wrote about is a different ammter then Sgt Harrisons case. However the point I was getting at is in line with the case you reference with the police impersonator. I understand people are entitled to bond when they are arrested. My problem is that there is too much of a difference in how bond is set for different crimes and the different judges setting it. I've seen mmany different cases where people are arrested on non violent crimes and get bond set so high they couldn't possibly get the money to pay. I've also seen many cases where people have commited violent crimes and have a bond so low they are out before I can finish my report. If there is anyway we could some consistency amongst the judges in this matter I would like to know what we could do to get there.

08-27-2007, 09:56 PM
How about the fact that the bond for Batt Leo and Resist w/violence is only $2,000 each. That has always been a another Batt Leo because it is a slap in the face to Law Enforcement. That low bond shows right there the disrespect for Leo's in this county. It really shocked me when a X-15 was arrested for possession of a fictitious drivers license and battered the Leo trying to escape. His bond for the DL charge was the same $2,000 amount as when he punched the cop and was charged with Batt Leo. This is a joke.

08-28-2007, 07:17 AM
It really shocked me when a X-15 was arrested for possession of a fictitious drivers license and battered the Leo trying to escape. His bond for the DL charge was the same $2,000 amount as when he punched the cop and was charged with Batt Leo. This is a joke.

Well the reason for this is because they are both third degree felonies. $2000 is the default bond for all third degree felonies. Bond is set by the class of the offense, not by the charge. Life felonies and capital felonies are eligible for no bond in most circumstances. That's why I'm almost always willing to stack on as many charges as I can. Let the SAO drop them if they want to, at least it will get their bond up.

08-31-2007, 10:55 PM
"I decided there and then to find Kevin Durkin at the conclusion of the service and discuss what we, the PBA could do to make this judge hear us. Kevin, where were you? I couldn’t find you. "

What a way to express you sorrow for a fallen officer by adding in a dig for your political run for office. Who f@$#ing cares if he was there or not. I didnt go to pay my respect to a fellow officer cause I wanted to see the Governor or the chirf. Hey wait I didnt see the chief or anyone from staff there, were they? All I saw was fellow officers coming together to pay respect to this mans family.

Greg you had my vote till I read this. I think im going to run to cause I dont think that anyone realy likes whos running, so lets get more officers to run. And just like you assumed I sat next to Kevin there and I def. was there where were you Greg.

So please post how we other officers can get our names on the list or would that go against your standards. Thks and by the way I agree it was a deep warmfilled service and my god bless each and every officer of this department and anywhere they may serve including Kevin Durkin.

08-31-2007, 10:55 PM
"I decided there and then to find Kevin Durkin at the conclusion of the service and discuss what we, the PBA could do to make this judge hear us. Kevin, where were you? I couldn’t find you. "

What a way to express you sorrow for a fallen officer by adding in a dig for your political run for office. Who f@$#ing cares if he was there or not. I didnt go to pay my respect to a fellow officer cause I wanted to see the Governor or the chirf. Hey wait I didnt see the chief or anyone from staff there, were they? All I saw was fellow officers coming together to pay respect to this mans family.

Greg you had my vote till I read this. I think im going to run to cause I dont think that anyone realy likes whos running, so lets get more officers to run. And just like you assumed I sat next to Kevin there and I def. was there where were you Greg.

So please post how we other officers can get our names on the list or would that go against your standards. Thks and by the way I agree it was a deep warmfilled service and my god bless each and every officer of this department and anywhere they may serve including Kevin Durkin.

08-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Kevin was indeed at the funeral. However that's not important.

I agree that the PBA has many issues that need to be changed. I'm no fan of the PBA administration and the indifference they show to many of their members. That said,

No matter what the race is, I can't stand mudslinging in a political campaign. The minute that Kevin was accused of not being at the funeral was when it went over the top. Although he was at the funeral and I'm sure if asked he can give a list of people who would verify that, his presence at the funeral has nothing to do with his role as TPD's chapter president. The sole reason for posting such a statement was to create even more resentment towards him and somehow make him look less credible as a candidate.

There are issues with the way that the PBA is run. There are things that need to be changed. Focus on those things. I read some of Greg's posts and parts seem as though they're purposely attacking Kevin Durkin personally. I don't think there's any need for that. Focus on the issues and remember that we are all brothers in LE. Nobody wants to see two respected members of this department going back and forth against each other, smearing names, and engaging in political mudslinging. We should be better than that.

09-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the post Kevin, I'm sure your FED UP.

09-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the post Kevin, I'm sure your FED UP.

You got it wrong pal. I'm not Kevin. I'm simply a regular PBA member who is saddened that this race for PBA president has turned into another one of those negative political campaigns with BOTH parties taking low blows at each other. The PBA has enough problems that you can focus on them without having to use the death of an officer as a political tool.

09-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Funny that "Just me" and "Fed Up" posted nine seconds after each other... so let me get this straight, this string has been here for about a week and the first two things negative about a good response from Det. Stout are posted nine seconds apart... man what are the chances. Also For the first post, T.P.D.'s entire staff filed past where Sgt. Harrison was laying in repose, and sat in one of the front rows. Thats while the rest of us were standing at attention, so if you were there I'm curious as how you could have missed that!

I would also point out that I saw Det. Stout there sitting with Sgt. Meier and a couple other people involved in takebackyourpba. Because I was actually a little disappointed that more of my brothers in blue werent there (i would estimate about 100 out of 1200 of us), I really spent a lot of the service looking around, and seeing people I had not seen in some time. And I too must admit that I didnt see King Kevin or ANYONE from our PBA exec staff. Maybe they were there... I just didnt see them, and it seems like thats all Det. Stout said in his letter which was mostly about liberal judges.

Bottom line I dont really care if they were there, I think its sad the FOP had three tints up with water and the PBA has nothing there.. but hey, I'm not on the PBA Board and have no one to blame for that but myself. I do think that both letters above were written by King K and I think that if he came on LEO Affairs a little more often he would know that everything is time stamped ... hahaha

In closing all I can say is that I know Det Stout from a case he worked very had on when someone threatened my life and I know he worked hard for me as a victim. I also know that Det. Stout has been very close to tragady more then once on this department, and I also know that he took the time to travel to Washington DC this year to pay repect to downed officers, so to accuse him of being political about this.. I dont think so !!

SAD

09-04-2007, 06:07 AM
smells funny your right hope you are lookign to be the next detective somewhere other then here cause your skills do smell funny. Do you investigate the crime you respond to the same way?

U say not once but twice posted 9 second apart ummm smells funny. You may have said it more but i only got to the second 9 seconds.

Just Me posted 1755.29
Fed Up posted 1846.24 ALMOST AN HOUR
9 seconds ummm dont think so
Guest posted 0713.05
Fed Up posted 1349.35 ALMOST 6 HOURS
still only 9 sec apart ummm right smells funny you cant add or you think were as dumb as you are. Smells like poo poo dont it

Right smells funny but im not to sure which smells funny your post or theirs.

09-06-2007, 02:57 PM
You are right Mr. Wrong I glanced at the two posts which were in different color and got them confused (they were posted nine minutes apart)

So actually two people thinking the exact same thing posted six hours apart.. after thsi had been up for a week.... That doesnt smell much better to me

SAD (and I truly mean that Kev)

09-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't care about any of that crap! I just want QUALITY representation by an EXPERT in the field (attorney) not some cop with over 20 yrs. on counting the hours until he/she retires while some overweight IA Det. is interviewing me...
I just want what I'm paying for nothing more.
I don't care if the PBA president makes the same money that I do or $20,00.00 more just don't leave me in an interview scenario fighting for my job with someone who is less than qualified to EFFECTIVELY represent me!!
I hope I'm not asking for to much for myself or any other officer reading this as well.