PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the courthouse?

08-23-2007, 04:25 AM
I have a serious question here...

Can anybody tell me why in the world we have 31 deputies assigned to the court security? That is not including all of the transport officers that are constantly there watching prisoners in the basement.

There is 2-3 deputies in every courtroom...yet the streets are falling to pieces with drivebys and robberies because we are spread too thin to respond quickly and apprehend the offenders.

I know the courthouse has become the holding pen for FTO flunk-outs and disciplinary problems... but we need some of those bodies on the street. If they cant cut it on the street, fire them, hire some people that know their stuff and get them out here helping us.

By the way....KUDOS to the GOOD court security officers and supervisors... you DO do a good job, you just dont need that many people as bad as we do.

08-23-2007, 11:04 PM
It is apparent that you have not spent any serious time at the court house.If you had you would realize it is a security nightmare. The officers that are currently assigned are dedicated professionals who are proud of their profession. Some of these so called "FTO-FLUNK OUTS" were victims of poor trainers some of whom have been fired and criminaly charged. So before you complain about your brother officers walk a day in their shoes in that court house and i'm sure opinion will change.

08-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Ok, I see my attempt to pat you on the back for the good thigns you do was overlooked, so now it is time for the realistic me to come out.

Takia Berry - did she have a bad FTO each of the 3 times she tried to come to the street? Is it the FTOs fault she kept getting in wrecks and couldnt drive? I remember being at the precinct when she would pull up and her FTO would get out of the passenger side and look like a cat that had just been run through the dryer because they were terrified to let her drive. So where is she now? Back at the courthouse.

Randy Frye - fired and rehired, but put back at the courthouse.

Kilgore - flunked out of FTO, but because of his family, he keeps his job and is sent to the courthouse.

Tolbirt (or was it Howell) - fired, but rehired and put at the courthouse

I could go on and on. There are many good officers there, but many who are just so useless anyplace else, they have to go to the courthouse where there is less chance of them having to drive, make arrests or use force.

NOW, back to my original point, which was that it is not necessary for there to be 3 deputies in every courtroom...especially when there is a courtroom right next door with 3 more deputies that could come over as back-up if needed.

Give us some bodies on the street...we are all short, there is no reason the courthouse should be so stacked while the road is holding calls for service.

08-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Ok, I see my attempt to pat you on the back for the good thigns you do was overlooked, so now it is time for the realistic me to come out.

Takia Berry - did she have a bad FTO each of the 3 times she tried to come to the street? Is it the FTOs fault she kept getting in wrecks and couldnt drive? I remember being at the precinct when she would pull up and her FTO would get out of the passenger side and look like a cat that had just been run through the dryer because they were terrified to let her drive. So where is she now? Back at the courthouse.

Randy Frye - fired and rehired, but put back at the courthouse.

Kilgore - flunked out of FTO, but because of his family, he keeps his job and is sent to the courthouse.

Tolbirt (or was it Howell) - fired, but rehired and put at the courthouse

I could go on and on. There are many good officers there, but many who are just so useless anyplace else, they have to go to the courthouse where there is less chance of them having to drive, make arrests or use force.

NOW, back to my original point, which was that it is not necessary for there to be 3 deputies in every courtroom...especially when there is a courtroom right next door with 3 more deputies that could come over as back-up if needed.

Give us some bodies on the street...we are all short, there is no reason the courthouse should be so stacked while the road is holding calls for service.

08-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Under Vince Seely the jail was used as a whipping post for those the sheriff didnt want on patrol. Under McNesby the whipping post is the Courthouse.

I am a firm believer that those who fail the FTO program should be shown the front door. I say this, as the sheriff will take those who have failed the FTO program and assign them to patrol duties during emergency conditions. (Example - Hurricane Ivan) These FTO failures should have been assigned to duties such as security at the S/O perimeter, EOC, or the cooking detail in the garage. Never should they have been assigned to a patrol function.

My question - Is there anyone at the courthouse you would really want assigned to patrol duties?

I will agree with your comment that the patrol function isnt properly staffed. Same districts and grids over the past 20-30 years with the same manpower assigned to each district. The substations have seen an increase in personnel but the mainland area's have not kept pace. The situation is at least the same, if not worse, with jail staffing.

The administration doesnt seem concerned about response times, officer safety, or the ever growing criminal element. Dont expect to see any changes anytime in the near future.

There is one good thing about the admin staff - feel the sarcasm - they didnt have any problems getting raise of $15,000 to $40,000 this year. How big was your raise? :shock:

08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
The ones who should be questioning who is being assigned to the courts is the court administrator and the judges. If they knew that McNesby doesn’t think enough of them to assign only the best to protect them, the jurors and the public, they might take exception to his actions. If they knew that it’s his policy to funnel the incompetent, problem employees the illiterate and those who cannot follow simple directions enough to pass a Field Training Course designed for an average person to pass, they might take exception. There have been cases in the past when officers who could not meet the minimum firing score to pass firearms qualifications were assigned to the courts. He’s sending a message to the judges that he is not concerned about their safety and welfare. If he did he would only assign the best officers to the court and not some of his worse.

08-26-2007, 09:04 AM
http://www.inweekly.net/images/articles/articles/full/art_1713_img_Cover081105.jpg