http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_233191530.html

Miami Chief Ordered To Return Free SUV To Dealer

City Manager Calls For Ethics Invesrtigation Of Chief Timoney's Actions
Timoney Spokesman Denies Ethics Violation
Read: Ethics Policy | Miami Police Dept. Policy

Gary Nelson
Reporting
Poll
What is your opinion of Chief Timoney's free use of a luxury car?

(CBS4) MIAMI Want to sound off? Click to share your opinion

Miami's city manager has ordered his chief of police to return a luxury SUV he had been driving for free to the dealership that owns it, action taken in reaction to a CBS4 News investigation that revealed the free car deal.

Miami Police Chief John Timoney has been driving the Lexus hybrid SUV for as long as a year according to three employees of the dealership that supplied it, Lexus of Kendall. A spokesman for the chief admitted Timoney was not paying for the car, which dealership employees estimated would lease for over $700 monthly.

A spokesman for the Chief claimed Timoney had been loaned the car by the dealership for a test drive, because he was considering buying one. Originally, the spokesman said the chief was paying toe the car, which bore dealer plates that made it illegal for the car to be leased or rented.

Following the CBS4 investigation, Miami city manager Pete Hernandez Tuesday issued orders that the car, valued in excess of $50 thousand, be returned to the dealership immediately.

He said it would be returned by tomorrow, Hernandez told CBS4's Gary Nelson.

Hernandez said he has not ruled out disciplinary action against the chief, and has asked the Miami-Dade Ethics commission to investigate possible violations of state ethics law. The commission said Thursday it has begun gathering information for just such an investigation

The Florida ethics commission said the law requires any goods or services valued over $100 to be reported, including something as simple as a birthday gift from a friend.

An examination of the Miami Police Department's internal rules about accepting gifts raises questions about Timoney's fee-free use of the car, but a statement from the chief's Executive Assistant Monday said the chief doesn't believe his use of the car violates the law, because it was accepted from a dealership outside the city that does no business with the city.

His behavior has clearly violated the rules and regulations, policies and procedures of the Miami Police Department, said Ken Harms, a former Miami police chief who helped write the policy. For him to suggest otherwise means one of 2 things either he simply doesn't know, or he's misrepresenting his position.

Chief Timoney met with Hernandez for about an hour Tuesday, but declined comment when approached as he left city hall.

Miami Mayor Manny Diaz said he would withhold judgment on the Chief's action until the investigation is complete. Commissioner Tomas Regalado said he would like to see a wider investigation, Herms said he would like to see an outside law enforcement organization such as the FDLE open its own investigation.

08-22-2007, 02:33 AM
Former Chief of Police Ken Harms is correct. There should be an independent investigation but much broader. This investigation should BE MADE BY THE FDLE OFFICE NORTH OF ORLANDO FLORIDA NOT THE ONE IN SOUTH FLORIDA, the investigation should also focus on the integrity of the entire police department. For example, how many Miami Police Officers have purchased vehicles from this dealership and kind of benifits or discount rates have they recieved because they are MPD officers. The general manager as well as the owner should be interviewed under oath, lets find out if there was a political trade off, and last but not least lets determine if the chief has lost the respect and confidence of the officers in the police department. KEN HARMS, CLARENCE ****SON, JOHN ROSS, BILL OBRIEN AND RAUL MARTINEZ WOULD HAVE NEVER COMMITTED SUCH A GROSS VIOLATION OF ETHICAL CONDUCT.

08-22-2007, 02:46 AM
you only posted it 4 times are you sure about your feelings ? Let's investigate the lindberg kidnapping too. People can sell for whatever they want. Taking a freebie against company rules is a no no. And what goes around , comes around. Karma is slapping the drunk in the face. ANGEL, you will like patrol.

08-22-2007, 02:49 AM
John, your acumen is why you are the Duke! This is the most egregious violation of trust I've yet seen. In fact, I've not seen a police chief engage in such questionable actions since I began my career in policing in 1972! The State Attorney MUST ask the Governor to direct an out of Miami-Dade County FDLE Office to conduct the preliminary investigation and an out of the 11th Circuit SAO to review the findings. If Timoney has a shred of dignity in him, he should quietly retire!

08-22-2007, 03:09 AM
mark my words this event will be his last this will cause T$ to quit. :wink:

08-22-2007, 03:19 AM
I disagree, he should be brought up on charges and fired. Would less happen to one us? 8,000 for a car, and he get's a free one against D O. You think anyone below him in rank he would not be fired by the NYPD supercop? Get real. Fair is fair, find the truth, then if it's like it seems, fire him, charges of theft are in order too. A city attorney was fired and brought up on charges, for turning in the city airline ticket and buying a cheaper fair ticket, keeping the spare change. Given money for a car and getting a free one and keeping the money, is the same. HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kathy you there?

08-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Our man is going no where! He will continue to be the top dog. Mark my words and he will come back with a veangeance for surely it was one of u who snitched him out.
SAO,where are u? Are u kidding me? Our man is her best friend/35 partner.
All will be forgotten cause the FOP is in his pocket and ONLY your union could raise a stink.
I hear that trouble maker Regalado might get involved,if so,then it might cause him a few upset stomachs but still,we will remain in power.

08-22-2007, 03:44 AM
If he goes who would be left to take his place? ......................What ever you do dont wear white socks to work and keep those dips going!! Im scuurrd! :shock:

08-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Our man is going no where! He will continue to be the top dog. Mark my words and he will come back with a veangeance for surely it was one of u who snitched him out.
SAO,where are u? Are u kidding me? Our man is her best friend/35 partner.
All will be forgotten cause the FOP is in his pocket and ONLY your union could raise a stink.
I hear that trouble maker Regalado might get involved,if so,then it might cause him a few upset stomachs but still,we will remain in power.

Your man just stepped on his Johnson sport. First lt. Shill get's caught in a lie, which i am betting johnny told him. And then angelito tries like hell to spin it. If hernandez is calling for an investigation, he knows the answer already. And the question is, do they press charges for transportation funds not spent on transportation, or not. I say F him. He can ask Donny W. for pointers on visiting hours in prison.

08-22-2007, 04:50 AM
http://stuckonthepalmetto.blogspot.com/ ... greed.html (http://stuckonthepalmetto.blogspot.com/2007/08/chief-timoney-face-of-greed.html)

08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Does IA still come into the new BLE classes and tell them, It all starts with a free cup of coffee and the next thing you'll be doing is throwing dead bodies into the Miami River.

If I can't except free Coffee, then how does he get a free lexus?

08-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Does IA still come into the new BLE classes and tell them, It all starts with a free cup of coffee and the next thing you'll be doing is throwing dead bodies into the Miami River.

If I can't except free Coffee, then how does he get a free lexus?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its true. A double standard I would say. They should make an example of the Chief and clean house. This department has been in need of a clean up for some time. If they don't, how the hell are they going to get the interest of decent people to become officers with MPD. You must lead by example. If the Chief gets away with this one, then its business as usual at MPD.

08-22-2007, 03:52 PM
U GUYS DONT GET IT! IT IS EASY FOR I.A. TO BURN U FOR GETTING A FREE CUP OF COFFEE CAUSE WE R GRUNTS.......
WHO IN I.A., HAS THE BALLS TO DISCIPLINE AND RELIEVE OF DUTY OUR FEARLESS LEADER??? EXACTLY!!! NO ONE.......
WHO AT MPD WOULD FIRE HIM???
THE MAYOR AND MGR WONT DO IT UNLESS THE FOP PLACES POLITICAL PRESSURE AND THAT WONT HAPPEN.
C U AT WORTHLESS MEETING.....

08-22-2007, 04:13 PM
BK has a silver one--where did that come from?
t$ has a black one and a white one now.

so lets think
HUMM

wonder what he actually paid for those
probably not what u or me would have to pay
lets see the cancelled checks

yes in deed

08-22-2007, 04:33 PM
why does the commish Angel Gonzales drive a city paid cadillac cts? hummmm what going on here no need for that !!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

08-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I checked with several dealerships and they said that it is not uncommon for a dealership to spot a vehicle to someone for several months. The issue here is, does it violate an ethics violation by a public official. A public official particularly a chief of police should never place himself in a situation where there is a perception of special treatment because of his position he holds. The question here is, if it were Joe citizen, would he have received a spot on vehicle as the Chief did? Furthermore, because the Chief is the top L.E. officer for the City of Miami, he should hold himself to a higher standard of moral ethics. I was once told in an ethics class, if it seems inappropriate to accept a gift, it probably is in appropriate. The Chief should a have known better to have accepted a free car for so long being who he is. Common sense tell you not to do this.

08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
here in lies the problem. you nailed it. COMMON SENSE

nope none nada

08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I checked with several dealerships and they said that it is not uncommon for a dealership to spot a vehicle to someone for several months. The issue here is, does it violate an ethics violation by a public official. A public official particularly a chief of police should never place himself in a situation where there is a perception of special treatment because of his position he holds. The question here is, if it were Joe citizen, would he have received a spot on vehicle as the Chief did? Furthermore, because the Chief is the top L.E. officer for the City of Miami, he should hold himself to a higher standard of moral ethics. I was once told in an ethics class, if it seems inappropriate to accept a gift, it probably is in appropriate. The Chief should a have known better to have accepted a free car for so long being who he is. Common sense tell you not to do this.

But do those people get City of Miami monies for transportation and pocket the funds instead of using them for transportation? Do they lie about how they got the vehicle from the dealer? Do they violate the rules of employment about getting freebie's? I don't think SO. And that is what is wrong with this picture. Can the city punish workers in the future for doing this and let Sean's daddy keep his job? Officers have been fired for lying in the past, and if John lies about this, what else is he lying about? Gee, you think may be the New Times is right about the cuban fornication statement? If he didn't think he was doing wrong, why lie about it being a lease car? Think about it, if he didn't think he was violating anything, why LIE ABOUT THE LEASE CAR.

08-22-2007, 07:24 PM
the miami herald said, that he said, it is just an oversight and he forgot to fill out the paperwork, must like a bank robber forgetting to fill out the loan papers on his way out of the bank with the money

NO DIFFERENT

just different players

T$ - ignorance is no excuse

08-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Sorry,Angel but that is not true! The chief made u and Bill lie to us and the community!!!
Where are the 8grand??
Oh and what dealer is that cause I want to get my spot vehicle for a few months,L.M.A.O... PLEASE!!!!
Hasta cuando brother???? I.A. cant do the job unless its a GRUNT but FDLE can so start looking for a good spot in patrol.
Time for a change and reality check!

08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
the miami herald said, that he said, it is just an oversight and he forgot to fill out the paperwork, must like a bank robber forgetting to fill out the loan papers on his way out of the bank with the money

NO DIFFERENT

just different players

T$ - ignorance is no excuse

BTW, I was once reprimanded by the MPD for the following and terminated: 1st, I did not fill-out a notice to the Chief of police that I had a corporation in my name, although I never made one penny from the corporation in question. It was noting but a paper corporation to one day possibly do business with. This was one of the I.A. misconduct charges. Second, I was told that I had lied about an incident where I told the I.A. investigators I had never said, an alleged word during a conversation with a commander. I was not denying the incident, the verbal exchange with the commander in question. Although, because I said that I, never said that word, I was deemed to have lied. The moral of the story is if you just say during any investigation, I do not recall, just like Col. Oliver North once did, then they can not pin you with a lie. In my case, my memory served me at the time as never saying that word, and thus paid dearly for it. Hell, I may have said it, but my memory at the time said I never did. And, by the way, the word had no significance to it, just I.A.'s way of pining a charge of misconduct on me at the time. In the end I was cleared, but had to endure the ride, and has cost my career. So please do not jump to conclusions yet.

This game of semantics is something deadly and I.A. loves to play that game, or least the old I.A. did. I will not mention who the I.A. people were for I do not want to start a fight, only trying to make an analogy as to what is going on at this time with the Chief. If the Chief has lied, he should be dealt with accordingly. Common sense tells everyone not to do what he did! Sorry, just my opinion.

08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Sorry,Angel but that is not true! The chief made u and Bill lie to us and the community!!!
Where are the 8grand??
Oh and what dealer is that cause I want to get my spot vehicle for a few months,L.M.A.O... PLEASE!!!!
Hasta cuando brother???? I.A. cant do the job unless its a GRUNT but FDLE can so start looking for a good spot in patrol.
Time for a change and reality check!not months ONE YEAR

08-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Former Chief of Police Ken Harms is correct. There should be an independent investigation but much broader. This investigation should BE MADE BY THE FDLE OFFICE NORTH OF ORLANDO FLORIDA NOT THE ONE IN SOUTH FLORIDA, the investigation should also focus on the integrity of the entire police department. For example, how many Miami Police Officers have purchased vehicles from this dealership and kind of benifits or discount rates have they recieved because they are MPD officers. The general manager as well as the owner should be interviewed under oath, lets find out if there was a political trade off, and last but not least lets determine if the chief has lost the respect and confidence of the officers in the police department. KEN HARMS, CLARENCE ****SON, JOHN ROSS, BILL OBRIEN AND RAUL MARTINEZ WOULD HAVE NEVER COMMITTED SUCH A GROSS VIOLATION OF ETHICAL CONDUCT.
So channel 4 catches him in a lie and with his hand inside the cookie jar.
Now ,through his lawyers grose maneavers, he tells him to purchase the vehicle so that everyone can shut up and not say nothing,,,,,,nice test drive chief,,,,,,a year?!!! Oh my God, u are terrible dude ! You gotta go!

08-22-2007, 10:19 PM
[quote="John Wayne":rna6n7h6]Former Chief of Police Ken Harms is correct. There should be an independent investigation but much broader. This investigation should BE MADE BY THE FDLE OFFICE NORTH OF ORLANDO FLORIDA NOT THE ONE IN SOUTH FLORIDA, the investigation should also focus on the integrity of the entire police department. For example, how many Miami Police Officers have purchased vehicles from this dealership and kind of benifits or discount rates have they recieved because they are MPD officers. The general manager as well as the owner should be interviewed under oath, lets find out if there was a political trade off, and last but not least lets determine if the chief has lost the respect and confidence of the officers in the police department. KEN HARMS, CLARENCE ****SON, JOHN ROSS, BILL OBRIEN AND RAUL MARTINEZ WOULD HAVE NEVER COMMITTED SUCH A GROSS VIOLATION OF ETHICAL CONDUCT.
So channel 4 catches him in a lie and with his hand inside the cookie jar.
Now ,through his lawyers grose maneavers, he tells him to purchase the vehicle so that everyone can shut up and not say nothing,,,,,,nice test drive chief,,,,,,a year?!!! Oh my God, u are terrible dude ! You gotta go![/quote:rna6n7h6]

One year is much more than a spot. This really smells and the State should make an example of the Chief. Although, many believe the Chief has friends all the way to Washington and will call in a favor.

08-24-2007, 06:38 AM
pete get this dept up to its original glamour

08-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Anything on the Chief yesterday? I have heard nothing to date..... Is he going to get away with this?

08-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Listen,nothing will happen to T! His godfather,The mayor, will not allow it!
The mgr. belongs to Teflon and unless the FOP continues to go public and get media and commish behind us,NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
Maybe a verbal reprimand from Pete and NOTHING FOR B.K.!!

The community must be told of THE PRESSURE BY CMDRS LIKE ALFONSO,WHITEHEAD AND LT'S LIKE SOCORRO AND OLIVA,TO ARREST ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY SO THEY CAN LOOK GOOD AND GET BONUSES.
WE ARE ALSO WRITTING TIXS TO FOLKS WHO WOULD HAVE GOTTEN VERBAL WARNING CAUSE OF THE DEMAND FOR STATS AND COMPSTAT..

ARMANDO,TELL THE PUBIC THE TRUTH AND T AS WELL AS B.K. WILL BE GONE!

08-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Guys,please dont let the chief and deputy continue to get away with abusing the sgt.'s and cops!!
Our great friend,who is now in heaven,BEN DAMICO Died after being treated like a DOG by major Caceres and the D.C.
His last memory of MPD was humiliation and cowardly abuse of power by these a$$ holes!!
LETS VOTE ON THE 4TH AND GET THEM OUT OF HERE!!
LETS DO IT FOR BEN AND ALL WHO HAVE BEEN ABUSED!!

08-24-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree! Mr.Mgr.Fire Timoney and demote the deputy chief. Thay have caused enough pain!

08-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I know that their has to be a veteran cop somewhere who knows these Lt's well.. Everyone has skeletons in their closets and now is the time to expose them.. It might b the chicken shit to do, but the time has come.. Enough, is enough.. Caceras, from what i hear wasn't that great, so let's here it. Fuk it..No one will no who post what so put it out their!!!!!Let's save face for Sgt. Deamicos name...