PDA

View Full Version : PBA Newsletter

08-14-2007, 07:31 PM
OK, the August 2007 "Tampa PBA Bulletin" was dispersed in the Districts.

The opening topic theme was essentially the Nuts and Bolts of police work is to Serve and Protect. It went further to refine the theme in that our fellow man should be protected from harm and evil. OK, I can agree with that.

The analogy was inferred that the Nuts and Bolts of what the PBA provides are Great Contracts and Great Benefits. We do have a GREAT CONTRACT and GREAT BENEFITS. I agree.

Put down that PBA rag, get out of the cafeteria, come out to the canopy, get inside my Cro Vic, put on your seatbelt, cause Im fonna take u for a ride in my police car.....(Cro Vic for those out of touch at the PBA - you would have to be in a certain R/C to understand)

The SAD part of reality is that those benefits in the contract are often times unrealized. What is missing in the Great Contract with Great Benefits is an underlying commitment to providing COURTEOUS, COMPETENT CUSTOMER SERVICE to the members so that those rights and priviliges can come to fruition.

Yes, there have been some isolated - possibly occasional - examples where the PBA came through and triumphed with justice over the TPD machine (Travis' case and a few others).

There are many more examples of "less important, less critical" cases where the members have been subject of investigations and got NOTHING, not even lip servcie from the PBA.

The PBA newsletter poses the argument to "...check with anyone that has ever asked for help from the PBA when they were in a jam...."

ARe you kidding me!! Give me my CRESTOR & CATAPRES, cause my Blood Pressure is shooting sky high!!!!

MY experience has shown me that my peers and fellow members have had phone messages not returned, no answers for legitimate questions and surprise hearings with minimal or non-existent comunication from the PBA.

The average sentiment is frustration and disgust from PBA members at the lack of service or concern from the PBA - with all of its NUTS and BOLTS.

NUTS and BOLTS alone wont hold a structure together. You need a supportive framework.
NUTS and BOLTS alone dont make a chain saw. You need TEETH.
NUTS and BOLTS alone dont make a Police Interceptor. It needs 4.6 liters of horsepower and a push bar to knock the crap out of a hijacked vehicle.
NUTS and BOLTS dont make a Glock. Its needs ammunition and someone willing to pull the triggger.....
The NUTS and BOLTS of our US CONSTITUTION mean nothing without the balance of powers through the different branches.

How much power is balanced, separated and used justly at the PBA?

Where was the PBA when over 100 SOP's have been revised, modified and significantly changed over the last year? Did the NUTS (oh yes, and of course the bolts...) at the PBA offer any objections or advice? Were the members consulted at the operational level for these SOP changes?

Where is the CUSTOMER SERVICE?
Where is the Courtesy?

We have been given more than NUTS and BOLTS.
We have been given a good SCREWING. :twisted:

Take control of this Carjacked conveyance as it carelessly careens through streets of Tampa (PBA) and put the one of the owners (PBA membership) behind the wheel.

Fight! Vote!
Take back our PBA to Serve our fellow members.

Pat Lynch
08-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Great post Mr. "Guest". Your observations are right. There is much change needed at the PBA. I won't go into details on here because I have already been chastised by our President for exercising my 1st Amendment Rights on here. Also, the reasons have been listed numerous different ways on here by people not as close to the fire so therefore more unbiased..

I am a little surprised to see a certain Sergeant that I recently had the privilege to work for supporting our current regime' by running on their slate. I know he is much more honorable than that. I know that it may be hard to not support a good friend when asked for help, but sometimes the best help is not helping.

I still haven't seen the revised draft of my proposed election procedures for TPD. I met with the PBA Attorney last week and he assured me he will have them done at least a few days before the next PBA meeting so my fellow board members (and the general membership) can have time to review and understand them. He corrected my apparent misinterpretation of the Constitution and By-Laws and assured me there is no 10-day notice requirement and any recommendations can be voted on (assuming one of my fellow board members will give a Second to my motion) at this months meeting and then discussed and voted on by the Charter Board at the meeting immediately following the TPD meeting.

Along that same note, I will be participating in a meeting with the PBA Attorney this Thursday as part of a committee appointed to look at revisions for the Charter Constitution and By-Laws. Our current President appointed representatives from each Chapter to review both documents and make recommendations to the Board of Directors.

Stay tuned for more updates and make sure you plan to attend the next PBA Chapter meeting on Wednesday, August 29th at 1530 hrs, with the Charter Board meeting immediately following at approximately 1800 hrs.

08-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Whoever gets elected next has their hands full with trying to deal with the HCSO Administration. Goodluck!