PDA

View Full Version : Dispatch

08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Does your agency have their own dispatch center or do the officers get dispatched from BSO?

08-12-2007, 10:47 PM
23 landline

08-13-2007, 03:46 AM
23 landline

BSO disatches us. Very poorly, I might add.

08-13-2007, 06:46 AM
It's only a matter of time. Davie will get our own channel (or at least share it with only one other district) when either A) someone gets seriously hurt (shot, stabbed beaten to a pulp) or B) killed. Then they will say "We'd better do something about this...." or "How come he/she didn't advise over the air?!"
Channel 5A is DANGEROUS. You basically have to wait in line to try and transmit, sometimes for minutes (no exaggeration). Then when you transmit you stepped on by four other units! I think the districts that make up 5A account for about 20% of Broward county's land area yet we're all squeezed into one little channel.

They always say it's about money. But what would cost them more? Life insurance payouts, lawsuits, workman's compensation, etc. and the fact that maybe we've lost ANOTHER life and member of law enforcement? They should just fork out the million dollars and avoid the greater losses that would arise from such a tragedy.

08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
It's only a matter of time. Davie will get our own channel (or at least share it with only one other district) when either A) someone gets seriously hurt (shot, stabbed beaten to a pulp) or B) killed. Then they will say "We'd better do something about this...." or "How come he/she didn't advise over the air?!"
Channel 5A is DANGEROUS. You basically have to wait in line to try and transmit, sometimes for minutes (no exaggeration). Then when you transmit you stepped on by four other units! I think the districts that make up 5A account for about 20% of Broward county's land area yet we're all squeezed into one little channel.

They always say it's about money. But what would cost them more? Life insurance payouts, lawsuits, workman's compensation, etc. and the fact that maybe we've lost ANOTHER life and member of law enforcement? They should just fork out the million dollars and avoid the greater losses that would arise from such a tragedy.

I couldnt agree with you more. You are correct sir.

08-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Well that sucks. I was looking to dispatch for a city but not through BSO. I tried applying there 3 years ago and they were rude which turned me off quick. Thank you for the insight. I hope that most of the departments down here get their own dispatch centers. More jobs for me haha but more importantly the officers can have more one-on-one attention from dispatch.

08-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I think you misread the post, its not is thats bad its bso

08-13-2007, 06:08 PM
its not is thats bad its bso

Yeah, uh, I don't see how anyone could have misread that... Perfectly clear message there...... :roll:

08-14-2007, 02:12 PM

You will get your own channel, but you don't need your own dispatch. Up here in Palm Beach County, we can't communicate with the Sheriff, or other cities. I agree you need your own channel or to share with one other agency, but be thankful you can listen and talk with others in the area. It's more of an officer safety issue up here where we can't. BSO is a very good dispatch agency, so the ones saying they do poorly have no perception of what it takes to dispatch. They have the right idea because consolidation is a great asset to law enforcement, but they don't have the dispatchers to give everyone the same channel. We like to complain about things like this, but if one of our guys was killed, it wouldn't be like Broward. Hollywood, Davie, Pines, Lauderdale, everyone was there for D/S Hernandez. If that happened up here we would have to call the Sheriff and other cities for help and it would take forever to figure what channel we should be on. We had a Deputy fighting a murder suspect just outside the city, I was right around the corner and could have been there for him if I could listen to the county. I know it's a pain in the butt, but you have it good. I've never seen anyone who really like their dispatch regardless of where they are from. Stay safe.

08-14-2007, 03:20 PM
"BSO is a very good dispatch agency, so the ones saying they do poorly have no perception of what it takes to dispatch."

I am going to let this one slide since it's obvious you have no idea what you are talking about but trust me when I tell you that your uneducated opinion is very much in the minority. Many of us realize what a hard job dispatching is...none of us want to do it. But let's not pretend that there are those good at their job and those who are not....no matter how demanding their job may be. We (Broward municipalities) have had very bad luck with both the quality of the dispatchers and the actual transmissions themselves (which we realize is not the dispatchers fault). It's going to get someone hurt...and we are sick of it. One only need listen for an hour to see how bad it has become.

08-14-2007, 04:46 PM
One only need listen for an hour to see how bad it has become.

I definitely agree with you. There are some dispatchers on our channel that are very 10-8 and know their job and take it seriously. Then there are those who seem to be too busy eating or gabbing (10-9 that, I had background) with others that they aren't paying any attention to us. There are those that cannot speak proper english (copy a signa' thurty sex on eighta first skreet) or that NO ONE can understand, or that get pissed off when multiple units raise at the same time (like we KNOW when we're doing that). Honestly, I think this is the fault of our own PD for not complaining about this. We PAY bso for dispatch service. We DEFINIETLY are not getting what we pay for.

I went to a 911 hangup call a few years ago at a convience store that wound up to be 67 heart attack. There were 3 hangups from the store, and when I got there the clerk was livid. She said she had called 911 3 times and that it rang over 10 times each time. She hung up each time and redialed. She was on her fourth attempt and handed me the phone and let me hear it ring. I called for rescue on the radio and waited and it took 4 more rings for the calltaker to pickup. THAT'S scary....

But that's the quality of service that BSO provides. If we want it to change the sergeants on the road need to make a stink when dispatch messes up (I know, some of them already do). And when we see or hear something that is potentially dangerous that could have been prevented with better dispatch (or our own channel or whatever) we need to document it by writing a memo and let those in charge know how bad it is. Let's face it, the upper administration doesn't really listen to the radio that often (or often enough to realize the magnitude of the problem), so it's our responsibility to let them know just how bad it is. Lastly, the Union should make it an issue as well. This is something I have complained about for years, but any time I ever brought it to the attention of anyone in the Union, it was always blown off.

If we want it to change, we can change it. But, we need to do it together.

08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
One only need listen for an hour to see how bad it has become.

I definitely agree with you. There are some dispatchers on our channel that are very 10-8 and know their job and take it seriously. Then there are those who seem to be too busy eating or gabbing (10-9 that, I had background) with others that they aren't paying any attention to us. There are those that cannot speak proper english (copy a signa' thurty sex on eighta first skreet) or that NO ONE can understand, or that get pissed off when multiple units raise at the same time (like we KNOW when we're doing that). Honestly, I think this is the fault of our own PD for not complaining about this. We PAY bso for dispatch service. We DEFINIETLY are not getting what we pay for.

I went to a 911 hangup call a few years ago at a convience store that wound up to be 67 heart attack. There were 3 hangups from the store, and when I got there the clerk was livid. She said she had called 911 3 times and that it rang over 10 times each time. She hung up each time and redialed. She was on her fourth attempt and handed me the phone and let me hear it ring. I called for rescue on the radio and waited and it took 4 more rings for the calltaker to pickup. THAT'S scary....

But that's the quality of service that BSO provides. If we want it to change the sergeants on the road need to make a stink when dispatch messes up (I know, some of them already do). And when we see or hear something that is potentially dangerous that could have been prevented with better dispatch (or our own channel or whatever) we need to document it by writing a memo and let those in charge know how bad it is. Let's face it, the upper administration doesn't really listen to the radio that often (or often enough to realize the magnitude of the problem), so it's our responsibility to let them know just how bad it is. Lastly, the Union should make it an issue as well. This is something I have complained about for years, but any time I ever brought it to the attention of anyone in the Union, it was always blown off.

If we want it to change, we can change it. But, we need to do it together.

Years ago there was dispatcher who had such a thick accent that officers and deputies were going to the wrong locations, due to so many street having similar names. I, and other jurisdiction's supervisors complained, and were told that since the dispatcher was Black that BSO was hesitant to do anything (the person that told me this, by the way, was Black also). A Weston deputy complained over the air that he was ay the address that he was dispatched to. BSO's dispatcher (not the one who dispatched him) replied over the air "Its an accent problem."

08-14-2007, 09:36 PM
So typical. It's all because you'll hate BSO. They could have the best dispatch services, but since there is a bias you hate them. Trust me when I tell you will have the same service if you had your own dispatch. Who wants that job? You need your own channel, but BSO has more potential than any city out there, but it's been ruined by the current boss. I live in a BSO city and they are great. Very fast when you call them. I work in a larger city in Palm Beach and our dispatchers can't compare to PBSO. They don't deal with half of what a bigger agency does. I don't know why I'm wasting my breath nothing I say is going to matter. None of you have worked where you're screaming for help and the nearest car could be a Deputy but he can't hear you. Trust me, it's better the way you have it.

08-14-2007, 10:21 PM
So typical. It's all because you'll hate BSO. They could have the best dispatch services, but since there is a bias you hate them. Trust me when I tell you will have the same service if you had your own dispatch. Who wants that job? You need your own channel, but BSO has more potential than any city out there, but it's been ruined by the current boss. I live in a BSO city and they are great. Very fast when you call them. I work in a larger city in Palm Beach and our dispatchers can't compare to PBSO. They don't deal with half of what a bigger agency does. I don't know why I'm wasting my breath nothing I say is going to matter. None of you have worked where you're screaming for help and the nearest car could be a Deputy but he can't hear you. Trust me, it's better the way you have it.

It has nothing to do with hating BSO. I do not disagree that a countywide multi-jurisdictional radio system is DEFINITELY beneficial. That's not the issue. The issue is having over 50 Officers on ONE radio channel through the day (probably more than 50, in actuality, during the 2pm - 4pm period where multiple shifts are still on duty). The issue is that you have to wait 5 - 10 minutes sometimes to transmit something.

I don't think many people are asking for our OWN dispatch center. We're just asking for our own CHANNEL on the BSO system.

You're right, we don't work in an area where the nearest car is a deputy. IN YOUR case, having everyone in the county on one channel may be beneficial. In OUR case, having that many people on ONE channel is REDICULOUS.

Now, go back to your speed trap on US-27 and leave us alone.

08-14-2007, 10:22 PM
And one more thing. If we DO go to 12 hour shifts and there are that many more people working the road, imagine how much MORE congested our radio channel will be........................... Absolutely crazy.

08-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Man, up your Zoloft, pal. Noone hates BSO. It has nothing to do with how we feel about BSO. The fact is that we (like Pem. Pines before us) need our own channel because THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE TRYING TO TALK AT ONCE ON OUR CHANNEL AND SOMEONE (WHO IS NOT TRYING TO GO EAT OR PULL A TRAFFIC STOP) IS GOING TO GET HURT BECAUSE OF IT. We have Davie, Southwest Ranches, Cooper City, and Weston units on one channel! That is way too many agencies and way too much traffic. Do you get it yet? Many Duty Officers at BSO agree with this and have concurred that Davie needs its own channel.

08-14-2007, 11:21 PM

Man, up your meds, pal. Noone hates BSO. It has nothing to do with how we feel about BSO. The fact is that we (like Pem. Pines before us) need our own channel because THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE TRYING TO TALK AT ONCE ON OUR CHANNEL AND SOMEONE (WHO IS NOT TRYING TO GO EAT OR PULL A TRAFFIC STOP) IS GOING TO GET HURT BECAUSE OF IT. We have Davie, Southwest Ranches, Cooper City, and Weston units on one channel! That is way too many agencies and way too much traffic. Do you get it yet? Many Duty Officers at BSO agree with this and have concurred that Davie needs its own channel.

08-20-2007, 09:38 PM
I for one have complained on numerous occasions about the level of static on your and other southend radios. The problem we are told by Motorola is your lack of equipment upkeep. Pass the buck as usual. However, to me if I can talk to someone on a Motorola Nextel phone in Las Vegas clear as day why cant I transmit to SW Broward County? Yes you do deserve your own channel. I am from the day when MM PP DV CC and Dist8 were all on the same radio. We are told that when Pines goes out on their own you WILL be getting that channel during the reconfiguration. The problem in my eyes and I am no expert but in the 10 plus years we have been in the new building there have not been any new towers put up and how many more units utilizing the system...I would say a major problem. Look at what happens during the Hurricanes...nothing but honking...too much radio traffic. That really needs to be addressed. As far as OUR unproffessionalism, it works both ways. We have good and bad and so does the road. Yes I am going to get pissed if you ask me 4x for the case number. I have been doing this almost 20 years and alot of things good and bad have changed. I will say that your radio is my most enjoyable to work...94's, boxes, etc are never an issue. Listen to some of the other channels and you will see. If there are serious infractions report them, I have seen many of my co-workers disciplined. We have a new administration and things are starting to get accomplished...it takes time...try to have some patience....feeling your pain.....stay safe

08-21-2007, 11:57 AM
thank you we appreciate your post and you

09-01-2007, 03:20 AM
It seems pretty dumb to me, as a Davie resident, why Davie is on 5A along with 3 other jurisdictions when Miramar is on 10A all by themselves. Davie has had more calls than Miramar for at least three years. Davie should have their own channel. As a citizen in Davie, I plan to ask the Chief's office why he is not demanding a separate channel for they safety of his people.

09-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Dear fellow Davie officer / pot stirer,

It has been requested within the last year to go to our own channel. The department is aware that it's a problem. It all boils down to money. Will Davie pay the BSO more $$$ so we could have our own dispatchers? No.
Go ahead and whine to the chief about this issue. He will act all concerned and make you feel all important for being such a genius. Then you will never hear from him again.

09-02-2007, 03:20 AM
I believe reserve officer Jim Ewing still has comnnections and could get it done. He still has alot of influence at the PD.

09-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I believe reserve officer Jim Ewing still has comnnections and could get it done. He still has alot of influence at the PD.
you either are je dated him or admire him so mush that you have overeaten,grew a stache, and became him good luck with the overdue books at the library