PDA

View Full Version : Are you hiring?

08-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I've worked seven years as a road deputy in an adjacent county after completing a twenty-one year active duty military career. LPD has always been my first choice of employment due to local family ties. My initial attempt at being hired was rejected, so I settled for a different agency. I'm ready to try again, but don't want to disturb my Florida Retirement System benefits. My questions are; Is LPD in the FRS, and are you hiring? I'd appreciate any advise.

08-12-2007, 02:26 AM
LPD doesn't have FRS. You will have to start at pay step 1, LPD doesn't pay for experience.

PCSO's Human Resources office is on Van Fleet Drive in Bartow.

08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
When you initially applied at LPD it was still at the top of the mountain amongst the finest agencys. It is now more akin to sailboat without a sail in the middle of an ocean. Unless your into the blind leading the blind method of management save yourself the stress and drive thirty minutes or so to see your family.

AFOR
08-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Sadly enough, the above post is true, and it's getting worse every day. PCSO is ten times better than LPD. I never thought I would hear that, much less say it. Go somewhere else.

08-17-2007, 04:46 AM
I work for PCSO and I remember many moons ago when I was a civilian busting my butt to be a deputy, we were losing many to Hills County and to LPD... now I'm seeing more and more from LPD coming to us.

I deal with a lot of LPD officers in regards to off duty settings (college, training, school, etc) majority that I deal with are really great people, please keep your heads up. I would say itll get better, but you all are in the same situation we are in supervision-wise.

I have been told many times by upper staff to take my Sgt's test. So this year I put in to take the test.. I was then told to start 'promoting' myself to the upper staff.. I told that supervisor that if my work ethnics, my training file, my career accomplishments, and my repor (sic) with my fellow co-workers wasnt good enough, then why should I waste my time or theirs in taking the Sgts test. He said I shouldnt be like that. I told him do not promote me based on my gender, promote me because I deserved it and earned it.

But sadly a lot of people do not feel this way and the lack of supervisor supervising is sad. I mean, how can you have two deputy OICs with both the Sgt and Lt working that day!!!! A sgt who doesnt know basic radio codes. A college degree doesnt make someone smarter then a person with common sense on the streets.

Fortunately for us, we dont have to deal with the union. I for one am against them. Each year, well about this time before elections, they start their campaign crap about how they will make life for us better... I told the union, first, fix Lakeland.. if that impresses me, then Ill talk to you. He has yet to help ya'll, and I have yet to talk to him.

Good luck and be safe out there,

fellow PCSO